• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Was just thinking about you, hoping my Thai plants are there in the AM, ape ish here right now!

That is the same storm that hit Ohio sat night and most of the day on Sunday. Unless it intensified, it really only gave Tom Brady fits while it was in Ohio. the plants were fine, but I doubt I will have to water them for the rest of the year. 3" in 24 hours is quite a feat for an October storm. 

Jeff H said:

That is the same storm that hit Ohio sat night and most of the day on Sunday. Unless it intensified, it really only gave Tom Brady fits while it was in Ohio. the plants were fine, but I doubt I will have to water them for the rest of the year. 3" in 24 hours is quite a feat for an October storm. 
I looked out before dark and most of the super hots were bent to the ground and are loaded with pods, picked what I could today.

Jeff H said:

It can get a lot worse if you're close to the coast during hurricane season... During hurricane Irene we got over 2 and a half inches of rain in a few hours, and it did quite a bit of flooding in the Deerfield River watershed and floodplain.

Man, I missed a bunch...like always! lol.  Those Manzanos are wicked, great shape and size to em.  I got a few from a buddy (yellows) and fell in love with them.  Definitely gonna get a place in the garden next season.  I am feelin the season comin to an end as well. Got a lot of leaf drop and the pods are strugglin to put on some color.  Probably one more decent harvest and then a few here and there to round out the season.

Rick, kudos on a great season, brother!  Season is winding down here, too.  
Some leaf drop in the cool nights (high 30's to mid 40's the past week or so)
but the plants are hanging in there.  There is a lot of ripening going on, but
we are still short of the final big harvest.  Showery and partly sunny for the
next handful of days, so maybe our luck will hold!  Meanwhile, I have about
10 plants finishing off in the greenhouse.  Hope it is as successful as last year
was.

Hope you had a ball growing superhots this season, Rick, some of your plants
were over the top productive   :dance:  Can't wait to see what you cook up next year!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I looked out before dark and most of the super hots were bent to the ground and are loaded with pods, picked what I could today.
Hi Chris, I hope you dodged the bullet yet again. You've been having some really rough weather this season... Nobody painted a bull's-eye on your roof when you weren't looking did they? ;)

stickman said:
Hi Chris, I hope you dodged the bullet yet again. You've been having some really rough weather this season... Nobody painted a bull's-eye on your roof when you weren't looking did they? ;)
We flew a drone over my house and I can confirm, no red x or bulls-eye! Zero branches lost and only 3 fallen pods out of a 2000+!

MGOLD86 said:
Man, I missed a bunch...like always! lol.  Those Manzanos are wicked, great shape and size to em.  I got a few from a buddy (yellows) and fell in love with them.  Definitely gonna get a place in the garden next season.  I am feelin the season comin to an end as well. Got a lot of leaf drop and the pods are strugglin to put on some color.  Probably one more decent harvest and then a few here and there to round out the season.
Good on ya for deciding to grow the Manzanos! Most of the varieties I hear people here talking about are the unsubtle ones that hit ya like an icepick in the forehead, but the Manzano has a lot more going on flavor-wise and decent heat to boot! What's not to like? It can be kinda fussy and hard to start, but if you can get it germed, it's a slow and steady grower. Mine was dropping blossoms when it was too cold or too hot, so you might want to plant them someplace where they can get dappled shade at mid-day.
   As busy as you've been with your work and all those reviews, I'll bet you're ready for a bit of a break from the garden this fall, eh? It's great to have one, don't get me wrong, but it's also nice to be able to walk away from it for a while at the end of the year and just appreciate the fruits of your harvest before diving back in and starting the cycle over again.

PaulG said:
Rick, kudos on a great season, brother!  Season is winding down here, too.  
Some leaf drop in the cool nights (high 30's to mid 40's the past week or so)
but the plants are hanging in there.  There is a lot of ripening going on, but
we are still short of the final big harvest.  Showery and partly sunny for the
next handful of days, so maybe our luck will hold!  Meanwhile, I have about
10 plants finishing off in the greenhouse.  Hope it is as successful as last year
was.

Hope you had a ball growing superhots this season, Rick, some of your plants
were over the top productive   :dance:  Can't wait to see what you cook up next year!
Thanks Brother Paul, it's been quite a ride this year... much less clement weather than last year.  Has it been a cooler and wetter year for you too this time around?  It's always cool to see your experiments with new growing techniques, and I look forward to checking out your grow next year too. Cheers!

I'm Glad you got the seeds and powder OK Scott... I hope you and LB both enjoy them. :)  The powder is the same batch that StefanW zinged his wife with, so tell her to take it easy if she tries any... ;) I had half a spoonful on cheese nachos for lunch today, and it hurt so gooood!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
We flew a drone over my house and I can confirm, no red x or bulls-eye! Zero branches lost and only 3 fallen pods out of a 2000+!
Well, that's a relief... It would really suck if the weather flattened your garden at this stage! Cheers!

Good to read you guys dodged da bullet squall, great season Rick ... I'm having dawn patrol withdrawals, funny a saying we used while growing up and checking the waves out before others woke up "dawn patrol" ... I often wonder when I'll grow up, lol ... Have a great hump day mon!

WalkGood said:
Good to read you guys dodged da bullet squall, great season Rick ... I'm having dawn patrol withdrawals, funny a saying we used while growing up and checking the waves out before others woke up "dawn patrol" ... I often wonder when I'll grow up, lol ... Have a great hump day mon!
Thanks for the vote of confidence and the chuckle Ramon!

It's 34 degrees outside this morning, and there's frost on the windshield... good thing I covered the plants I want to OW. The weather forecast says we'll have one more night with a significant temperature dip, then it's supposed to be back up in the 40s the rest of the week. This weekend is supposed to be the peak of the Fall foliage here with massive leaf drop over the next two weeks, so I guess it's time to pot up the OWs this weekend and clean up the garden.
   It's been a good run this season and I learned a lot. Thanks to all who stopped by and left comments and advice... Especially to all who took part in information, seed and final product swaps. Special thanks to Shane for sharing one of his Manzano seedlings... (I was getting pretty frustrated trying to germ the seeds I had),  to my friends from Eastern Europe, Robert and Balázs for opening my mind to the pepper varieties from their part of the world, and to Stefan, Lourens, Ramon and Trippa for turning me on to some really cool heirloom varieties that are extremely hard to find seeds for. You folks rock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeERupuicHE

Rick, yes, nice to walk away .. . and come right back! Manzanos are gorgeous! Have some red rocotos gonna leave a while--some signs of turning; our lowest low predicted this week was last night at 46, supposed to be warmer. But . . . still got up early to begin washing/"Dryelling" winter clothes.

Am sorry you guys got hit by so much rain/wind. From last early spring/summer, get PTSDesque symptoms when I see a drop along with a gust of wind.

Your Red Hab sauce was thoroughly enjoyed on some eplant parm last night. :drooling:  Am about to thoroughly enjoy myself outta that woozy! Processing peach bhut ferment into sauce today.

Need 48 hr. day clock . . . and yep: cabbages coming in, locally, so when get that 48 hr. clock to sauerkraut and your recipes! Have a great day!

stickman said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence and the chuckle Ramon!

It's 34 degrees outside this morning, and there's frost on the windshield... good thing I covered the plants I want to OW. The weather forecast says we'll have one more night with a significant temperature dip, then it's supposed to be back up in the 40s the rest of the week. This weekend is supposed to be the peak of the Fall foliage here with massive leaf drop over the next two weeks, so I guess it's time to pot up the OWs this weekend and clean up the garden.
   It's been a good run this season and I learned a lot. Thanks to all who stopped by and left comments and advice... Especially to all who took part in information, seed and final product swaps. Special thanks to Shane for sharing one of his Manzano seedlings... (I was getting pretty frustrated trying to germ the seeds I had),  to my friends from Eastern Europe, Robert and Balázs for opening my mind to the pepper varieties from their part of the world, and to Stefan, Lourens, Ramon and Trippa for turning me on to some really cool heirloom varieties that are extremely hard to find seeds for. You folks rock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeERupuicHE

Sorry to hear about the frost but it was a pleasure to follow your grow throughout the season! This means you can start to pick out the varieties you wanna grow next season :D

annie57 said:
Rick, yes, nice to walk away .. . and come right back! Manzanos are gorgeous! Have some red rocotos gonna leave a while--some signs of turning; our lowest low predicted this week was last night at 46, supposed to be warmer. But . . . still got up early to begin washing/"Dryelling" winter clothes.

Am sorry you guys got hit by so much rain/wind. From last early spring/summer, get PTSDesque symptoms when I see a drop along with a gust of wind.

Your Red Hab sauce was thoroughly enjoyed on some eplant parm last night. :drooling:  Am about to thoroughly enjoy myself outta that woozy! Processing peach bhut ferment into sauce today.

Need 48 hr. day clock . . . and yep: cabbages coming in, locally, so when get that 48 hr. clock to sauerkraut and your recipes! Have a great day!
Hi Miz Annie,
   Nice to hear you still have some harvest to look forward to, and I hope the weather co-operates enough that you can bring them in when they're ready. Glad you liked the Red Hab sauce... if it got you through until you could make some of your own, then good enough. I hear ya 'bout feeling like there isn't enough time when getting ready for winter, but somehow we still manage it. ;)  Looking forward to "Kimjang" pretty soon... maybe we can compare notes on making Kimchi in a little bit... I'll probably make Kakduki mostly, from the Korean radishes in my garden. It keeps quite a bit longer than Cabbage Kimchi... I'll probably only make that a couple of quarts at a time.

PaulG said:
;)

Devv said:
Sad to see your season end, and looking forward to next season.

Enjoy the down time buddy!
You bet Scott... when we get the yard and gardens squared away and everything stored in the cellar for the winter, we'll get a little break before the holidays. That's actually my favorite time to go Trout fishing because they bite readily, and most of the people who fish in the spring are out bowhunting for Deer, so I have the Lakes and Rivers pretty much to myself. I haven't wet a line more than 3 times since the garden was planted, but I'm looking forward to it now.

WalkGood said:
+1 on 2335 great season brethren \o/
Thanks bro' :)

meatfreak said:

Sorry to hear about the frost but it was a pleasure to follow your grow throughout the season! This means you can start to pick out the varieties you wanna grow next season :D

Thanks Stefan, I've already started... I may end up adding a few more varieties, but initially my list for 2014 looks like this...
Overwinters... year 2:
Butch T.
Douglah
Manzano

Annuums:
Poblano
Big Jim Anaheim
Serrano Tampiqueno
Chimayo'
Jalapeno Coyame
Cili Padi
Thai Yellow
Doux D'Espagne
Kurtovska Kapija
Almapaprika
Hungarian Coloring Pepper
Hungarian "Pointed Hot" Pepper
Hungarian Tomato Pepper

Baccatum:
Aji Lemon
Dedo de Moca

Chinense:
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Guwahati Bhut
Brown Egg
King Naga Jalokia
Yellow 7-Pot, large pod variety
Scotch Bonnet MoA

Happy Friday Eve all!

The grow list looks good for next year, similar to what I am thinking for next year but we have some differences.

I'm seriously considering whether or not to over winter by TSBT though. The plant is great and super productive, but I harvested so many this year (100+ pods just last week alone), that I probably have enough for several years. A little goes a long way with those. Definitely agree on the darn monzanos though, buth of mine are coming inside for the winter. 

Back