• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Devv said:
Good on Jamie!

I have a feeling your winter is going to be hot! :onfire:
+1 on that! I just had a roast Turkey sammich with mayo and a liberal sprinkling of Jamie's powder on it and somebody turned on the faucet in my sinuses... Hoo... that stuff ain't for the young! Very nice burn, and plenty of garlic flavor to go along with it... a solid 3-bagger brother Jamie, just thin-slice the garlic before drying and grinding it next time and you'll knock it out of the park.

I love it! Glad you liked it!

Today we had a meeting and the new food service personnel served lunch, a Japanese salad and something else IDK the name of LOL...but they had a hot sauce which I'm sure was fermented. I took 3 heaping spoons of that and tasted it before putting it on the food. A nice garlic & pepper sauce had a nice lip, mouth , and throat burn. I told the person next to me go slow with that, a few minutes later the tissues came out...a little hot eh?

Gonna have to try the fresh dried garlic, sounds wonderful!

Have a great week!

I had a bit of a windfall today... Back in January I started more seeds than I was going to have room for when it came time to transplant because I couldn't be sure how many would survive 'til then. Sometime in February or March I swapped some of my extras with SeanW and gave the rest to some guys I know who run a hydroponics store in Hadley, MA. I stopped by yesterday to see how the plants were doing, and found that they had done very well, but were too hot for the guys at the shop, so they asked me to take the ripe pods on the plants so they wouldn't go to waste... They didn't have to ask me twice! ;)  There were about 10 ounces of Chocolate Habs that I gave to a chef buddy to use in his restaurant, and I kept 26  ounces of Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros to make another batch of "Rick's Red" Hab sauce...
SANY0401_zps7d6d69b6.jpg

Happy Friday Eve all...

Great winfall Rick. Please do post the recipe for your "Rick's red" when you make the sauce. I have a gallon bag of them in the freezer just waiting for the right project. :D

What I usually do with the paper lanterns is dehydrate them and chop them into flakes in the food processor. I shake them on pizza and pasta like you would use red pepper flakes; these are just a tad bit hotter :eek: Guests to my house often find out the hard way that they are hab flakes and not cayenne flakes. Had my mom over for dinner and tried to warn her that they had a good kick. She figured it out soon enough.

Jeff H said:
Great winfall Rick. Please do post the recipe for your "Rick's red" when you make the sauce. I have a gallon bag of them in the freezer just waiting for the right project. :D

What I usually do with the paper lanterns is dehydrate them and chop them into flakes in the food processor. I shake them on pizza and pasta like you would use red pepper flakes; these are just a tad bit hotter :eek: Guests to my house often find out the hard way that they are hab flakes and not cayenne flakes. Had my mom over for dinner and tried to warn her that they had a good kick. She figured it out soon enough.
Sure Jeff, I posted it here back in June... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35512-stickmans-2013-glog-frost-is-here-so-the-seasons-done/page-69#entry839143

I like having about a pint of powder put by for the winter too, but for the bulk of my preserves I like to make shelf-stable purees and hot sauces. They preserve the color and flavor better than drying, and don't take up freezer space. Cheers!

Devv said:
Can't beat that Rick!

Give 'em some Yellow 7's and a few other next season!

I think if you bring them some of the sauce they will want the hab's back.
We'll see... there was a Yellow 7 plant I left there unmolested after making my pitch for them to use the pods from it to make puree. I showed them AJ's thread, and hopefully they'll use them.

While I was there I looked for a 7 gal. airpot to put my Yellow 7 into, but they were all out... They had a 7 gal. "Dirt Pot" though, so I got that, and potted up this morning before work.  Here's a pic of the larger Yellow 7 next to the Butch T plant. For a first-year, the Yellow 7 was a monster. Including the Dirt Pot, it stands a little over 4 feet tall. I have the "Plant Nannies" installed in each pot and have the drop lights with 5000k CFL bulbs set up on a timer, so I'm ready to move them down cellar at a moment's notice when frost seems likely.
SANY0403_zps6b5d87e1.jpg

TGIF all, have a great weekend!

Are you planning on leaving all the branches and leaves on when you bring them in? IIRC, your celler isn't well lit enough for them to continue to grow and thrive over the winter, you are just planning on keeping them alive, correct?

I cut most of mine down to little more than glorified stumps to prompt lots and lots of branching in the spring. I'll update my glog with the winter preparations once I get them finished this weekend. None of mine are in anything larger than a 3 gallon pot. Most are in one and two gallon pots once I trimmed the roots back to match the foliage.

So I'm wondering about the ones I have in the 20 gal bags, BTW they work like air pots. I was planning on leaving them in the large pots outside and moving them in to the shop when it gets cold. Even in there they will have sun from a south window. At most they will do 3 days, maybe 4 before it warms again.

Jeff H said:
Are you planning on leaving all the branches and leaves on when you bring them in? IIRC, your celler isn't well lit enough for them to continue to grow and thrive over the winter, you are just planning on keeping them alive, correct?

I cut most of mine down to little more than glorified stumps to prompt lots and lots of branching in the spring. I'll update my glog with the winter preparations once I get them finished this weekend. None of mine are in anything larger than a 3 gallon pot. Most are in one and two gallon pots once I trimmed the roots back to match the foliage.
Hi Jeff,
   I cut back the plants as per Guru's recommendations... Trimmed the branches back so that their total area was no larger than the root ball, then cut off the remaining primary nodes so the plant wouldn't continue to put out blossoms. I have them in air-pruning pots, so I think the root ball will be self-limiting until I get the plants back into the ground next spring. Since I'm using 5 gal. airpots on 3 of the plants, and a 7 gal. Dirt Pot on the Yellow 7, it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference next season that I didn't use smaller pots now. The thing I'm weakest on is the amount and Kelvin temp. of light I need to provide for the OW plants to keep them alive but dormant until plant-out. More research to do...

Devv said:
So I'm wondering about the ones I have in the 20 gal bags, BTW they work like air pots. I was planning on leaving them in the large pots outside and moving them in to the shop when it gets cold. Even in there they will have sun from a south window. At most they will do 3 days, maybe 4 before it warms again.
Hi Scott,
   You're one of the few people I know who are well placed to OW their pepper plants with minimal "interferance". I'll certainly be watching to see how your experience goes in that area. Good luck buddy!

Bodeen said:
Nice haul on those lanterns.
Thanks BD... I'm gonna make that sauce tomorrow before the fruit flies hanging around the compost bucket find them... ;)

It got down to 34 degrees last night, so time to get on the ball r.e. over-wintering... I gave the OW candidates their "haircut" this morning, and I haven't  seen anything that bald since I went to Basic Training... Lol! Most of them have been dropping leaves anyway, but the Manzano was the exception.

Butch T.
IMAG0006_zpsfbb127a3.jpg

Douglah
IMAG0007_zps6f691678.jpg

Yellow 7
IMAG0005_zpsc101ba94.jpg

Manzano
IMAG0008_zps9a7c7907.jpg

And in their new home for the next 6 months...
IMAG0010_zps2d211a9e.jpg

IMAG0011_zps442e8799.jpg

....and miles to go before I sleep.....
Playing catch up as usual LOL....just been able to do a bunch of "burst" lurking this year so far.....always a good stop to make.

1).  "I'm thinking seriously about expanding my OW list to include the Yellow 7 for that reason... I'd need to get another 5 gal. airpot and a plastic tub to set it in, but I have the rest of what I need... Hmmm"

.....you know that now you MUST Just Do It? Right?
2) Great advice with the garlic.
3) Congrats on the anniversary, great way to spend it,I missed crisp fall mountain air IMMEDIATELY.
4) Watching instead giving in to the call of gravity...(letting some one else break their legs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :shh: ), a wise diecision for an Anniversary!
Have a god one-
DJ

Looks like your OW project is in full swing!

I wish I had an answer for how much light they need, a guess would be 6 hours.

Tomorrow mornings low is 45°, then temps return to normal, wonder if it's going to be a cold winter this year? That would be OK as long as the first frost is 4 weeks away. We could get one any time now....or not at all. It just depends what comes out of the northeast.

Have a great weekend!

gnslngr said:
....and miles to go before I sleep.....
Playing catch up as usual LOL....just been able to do a bunch of "burst" lurking this year so far.....always a good stop to make.

I understand... are you still on the road Dave, or will you be home for the winter?

1).  "I'm thinking seriously about expanding my OW list to include the Yellow 7 for that reason... I'd need to get another 5 gal. airpot and a plastic tub to set it in, but I have the rest of what I need... Hmmm"

.....you know that now you MUST Just Do It? Right?

OK Chief... we're on it! :)

2) Great advice with the garlic.
3) Congrats on the anniversary, great way to spend it,I missed crisp fall mountain air IMMEDIATELY.
4) Watching instead giving in to the call of gravity...(letting some one else break their legs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :shh: ), a wise diecision for an Anniversary!

S'right... any one you can walk away from is a good one, eh? It really was a beautiful day... there's only so many perfect Spring/Fall days, and we enjoyed the heck out of that one!

Have a god one-
DJ

You too guy... thanks for stopping by!
Devv said:
Looks like your OW project is in full swing!

I wish I had an answer for how much light they need, a guess would be 6 hours.

Tomorrow mornings low is 45°, then temps return to normal, wonder if it's going to be a cold winter this year? That would be OK as long as the first frost is 4 weeks away. We could get one any time now....or not at all. It just depends what comes out of the northeast.

Have a great weekend!

Devv said:
After thought here...what kind of reflective material are you using for the OW grow?

Wow, that's pretty cold for you... hope it passes quickly.  How strange that your cold weather originates here during the winter... our winter thaws come from down your way.

The flexible reflective material I use is called Reflectix... I use it to insulate as well as reflect light back to the plants. I got a 25 foot roll of 16 inch wide material at Home Depot.  http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageName=Double+Reflective+Insulation&PageIndex=622

Have a great weekend all.

stickman said:

Wow, that's pretty cold for you... hope it passes quickly.  How strange that your cold weather originates here during the winter... our winter thaws come from down your way.

The flexible reflective material I use is called Reflectix... I use it to insulate as well as reflect light back to the plants. I got a 25 foot roll of 16 inch wide material at Home Depot.  http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageName=Double+Reflective+Insulation&PageIndex=622

Have a great weekend all.
Pretty cool for this time of year, 44° in SA, 48° at the house, and warming trend on the way.

Thanks for the info on the material!

Enjoy Sunday!

Hi Rick,

I am sad to see that your season is over, too. Well, it is rather in dormant mode, with all of those OW plants! It will give you a real head start next spring, I cannot wait to see it. Second year of Chinenses is the real mass production mode.

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

I am sad to see that your season is over, too. Well, it is rather in dormant mode, with all of those OW plants! It will give you a real head start next spring, I cannot wait to see it. Second year of Chinenses is the real mass production mode.

Balázs

Hi Balázs, Thanks for dropping  by buddy! All in all it was a good season though the weather was kinda wacky. I was satisfied with my garden's output and I hope you were as well. I'm gonna give over-wintering my best efforts... if you can do it where you are, I figure I can as well. So far so good.
   Have you figured out what your grow list will be for next year? I have so much gochugaru put away from my Korean pepper plants the last 2 years that I decided to plant some other varieties in their place next year. I'll be planting more Chinense varieties, as well as some Thais and Takanotsume. I hope you're done with the remodeling of your house so you can settle in for the winter. Take care, and stay in touch!

Hi Rick,
Yeah, it was a good season, though the moving was in the middle of the harvest period, so I was not able to deal with them so much. I have frozen some pods, and I am planning to make sauces, since it seems my colleagues simply love them. Owervintering is not a big deal, you just need to avoid overwatering them, and they are going to thrive next year. I am not going to give them any artificial light, but as per my experience they will be fine. There is only one thing which I am sure about: next year I am not going to grow the Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon and most probably the Naga Morich strain I had. The pods were very small, and the plants did not really produce many pods. I liked the heat of them, but that's all. I am planning to replace them with other strains, which might have bigger pods. On the other hand the TS CARDI Yellow and the Red Hab is a mass producer, with big, heavy pods. They are absolutely amazing! I was stripping some of my Hab plants from the bottom,which resulted much bigger pods.
Yesterday the induction cooker and the oven was built in, so after two months of sandwich-eating, I can finally cook anything! :dance:
Balázs

Back