• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Jeff H said:
The grow list looks good for next year, similar to what I am thinking for next year but we have some differences.

I'm seriously considering whether or not to over winter by TSBT though. The plant is great and super productive, but I harvested so many this year (100+ pods just last week alone), that I probably have enough for several years. A little goes a long way with those. Definitely agree on the darn monzanos though, buth of mine are coming inside for the winter. 
And a good thing too... if we posted the exact same grow lists for next year it would have been pretty spooky, eh? ;)

My Butch T. was in its first year, so it wasn't super productive... I think I only got about 50-60 pods from it, but if I successfully overwinter it I hope to get many more next year!  I'll have to check out your glog to see what the Trini Scorp crossed with a Butch T. looks like. How do they taste? From your description, they're plenty picante... :)

MGOLD86 said:
Sorry bout the end of the season, but yea man, it will feel good to take a bit of a break before the crazy onslaught that is the winter start! Lol. You have had a great season man.
Thanks Matt, you too! I was really glad to see you get one when you got back from A$$#@!&-istan. :) Now for the fun part of figuring out what to make with this year's harvest! :fireball:
The last holdouts are the  Omnicolor and Cheiro Recife. Fair harvest today, and maybe one or two more...
SANY0395_zpsbad44825.jpg

SANY0396_zps97541652.jpg

TGIF all!

stickman said:
And a good thing too... if we posted the exact same grow lists for next year it would have been pretty spooky, eh? ;)

My Butch T. was in its first year, so it wasn't super productive... I think I only got about 50-60 pods from it, but if I successfully overwinter it I hope to get many more next year!  I'll have to check out your glog to see what the Trini Scorp crossed with a Butch T. looks like. How do they taste? From your description, they're plenty picante... :)

They are just regular trin scorpion Butch T's just like yours not a cross and as such, they are scorchers. I have harvested well over 300 from the single hydro plant alone. I have so many in the freezer as well as those I made the puree with, It will take me a long time to consume all that heat.

Bummer to hear about frost being there already. .. We don't really have frost here in SoCal. But the other day it rained. And next day. Snow months mountain tops. Too early for us SoCal folks. So it'll be interesting to see how cold it will get. Last year my maters survived the spider mites. But it was the from that got them

Jeff H said:
They are just regular trin scorpion Butch T's just like yours not a cross and as such, they are scorchers. I have harvested well over 300 from the single hydro plant alone. I have so many in the freezer as well as those I made the puree with, It will take me a long time to consume all that heat.

I'm hoping that's me next year Jeff... That much puree would last me at least a year... having frozen pods or powder besides would be great!

Devv said:
Nice list for next year Rick.

I wish you had more space for OW's it would really help with the jump start the following spring.

Have a great weekend!

I'm thinking seriously about expanding my OW list to include the Yellow 7 for that reason... I'd need to get another 5 gal. airpot and a plastic tub to set it in, but I have the rest of what I need... Hmmm

meatfreak said:
Great list, Rick. I can help you with the Jalapeno Coyame :) I will pm you my list pretty soon.

Thanks Stefan... I'm set for Coyame Jalapeno seeds, but would sure like to see your list and do some swapping. Cheers mate!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Bummer to hear about frost being there already. .. We don't really have frost here in SoCal. But the other day it rained. And next day. Snow months mountain tops. Too early for us SoCal folks. So it'll be interesting to see how cold it will get. Last year my maters survived the spider mites. But it was the from that got them

Hi DeNNiZ, It's a fact of life here, so we just plan for it. I actually like this time of year. The air is crisp and clear and cool enough that I feel energetic enough to tackle the tasks that I know need to be done before winter gets here. The Autumn foliage is beautiful too. It only lasts for a couple of weeks and it's gone, so it never palls.

This weekend is our 16th wedding anniversary. We chose Columbus Day weekend because we both love this time of year, my wife is Canadian, and this is a long weekend on both sides of the border. I have to work today, and we'll be driving out to the Berkshires on the New York border for the rest of the weekend. Have a good one all!

Hey Rick - I've lurked on this glog off and on when I've had time throughout the season, you've always got great stuff and cool food ideas.  I've not made it through the whole thing, so I was hesitant to comment.
A couple of pages back you all were talking about cover crops and you linked a biodymanics (I think) method.  Just wondering if you are familiar with permaculture - it has many of the same principles that you were talking about, it's systemic thinking, uses cover crops - your comment about building soil with nitrogen fixing cover was right on, all that sort of thing.  I was just curious.  This stuff fascinates me.

Second, how exactly are you prepping your plants for over wintering.  I'm going to try that again this year.  I'll check out Greg's (Pic1) glog from last year because he had a good description.  I got hammered by aphids last year and want to avoid that this year, so I'm curious what your methods are. 

Thanks!

Pulpiteer said:
Hey Rick - I've lurked on this glog off and on when I've had time throughout the season, you've always got great stuff and cool food ideas.  I've not made it through the whole thing, so I was hesitant to comment.
A couple of pages back you all were talking about cover crops and you linked a biodymanics (I think) method.  Just wondering if you are familiar with permaculture - it has many of the same principles that you were talking about, it's systemic thinking, uses cover crops - your comment about building soil with nitrogen fixing cover was right on, all that sort of thing.  I was just curious.  This stuff fascinates me.

Second, how exactly are you prepping your plants for over wintering.  I'm going to try that again this year.  I'll check out Greg's (Pic1) glog from last year because he had a good description.  I got hammered by aphids last year and want to avoid that this year, so I'm curious what your methods are. 

Thanks!

Hi Andy, You're probably right... Permaculture is synonymous with Biodynamics without the "mystic" element... Definitely something I need to read up on and incorporate more into my grows. My current experience is in overwintering an old Rosemary plant that we've had for about 7 years. We kept it inside in a pot when we rented our apartment in Holyoke, MA, but when we bought the place in Greenfield, we've been keeping it outside with the pot set into the soil of the herb garden during the growing season and bringing  it inside for the winter.

This'll be my first year attempting overwintering myself. Thanks for the heads-up on Greg's thread on the subject... I'll have to read that myself. Greg's a master northern grower, and I'm sure he has it down pat, so no need to re-invent the wheel, eh?   I'm just going to try to give the plants just enough water to keep them going, but not so much that I make a good berth for the Fungus Gnats. I'll have 24 watt 6500k CFLs in droplights on a timer. I still have to figure out how many hours a day the plants will need while in dormancy.

Jamison said:
Rick where are the hoop houses? I thought you always did that, unless I missed that. Sucks that the frost is there already man, but it is inevitable. Time for a break!
I don't use them at the end of the season J... the plants have outgrown the kind of space I can protect with them... I guess technically they're not hoop houses... they're low row covers, but they function the same. They're only waist high and 5 feet wide, and the hoops bend into a half circle, so the branches on the mature plants would be crushed against the sides of the row cover... not good. Besides, I want a break from the garden through the fall and early winter so I can clean it up along with the yard, and spend time preparing for the holidays. After New Year's is plenty of time to start the next round.

Devv said:
Rick enjoy your Anniversary!

Do it! The yellow 7 is a great pod!
Thanks Scott, We went up Mount Greylock... the highest point in Massachusetts, and spent a gorgeous, sunny day grooving on the scenery and watching folks with para-sails and hang-gliders launch themselves from the cliff just below the summit on the windward side. The foliage near the top has already fallen, and is past the peak of the fall color on the lower slopes, but it was a beautiful view, and the air was so clear we could see all the way to Concord, NH.
SANY0401_zps34f9f606.jpg

SANY0416_zpsd5f3f9f6.jpg

Today, I dug up and potted my Butch T and Manzano plants to go with the Douglah that's been potted up all summer. I just need to get another bag of potting soil and a 5 gal. airpot, and I'll do the same for the Yellow 7 plant. I prepared a place to set them down cellar, but no hurry just yet since no freeze is predicted for at least the next few days.

Manzano
SANY0399_zps75d69989.jpg

Douglah
SANY0398_zpse304e213.jpg

Butch T.
SANY0397_zpseb5f1843.jpg

Have a good holiday all!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! That view is just amazing! Gorgeous!

Am gonna see if can't talk some friend who won't say "too old" to hike to top of Table Rock for views below when the leaves start to turn here.

Rick, what is your technique for OW that doesn't bring down aphids, mites, locusts, plagues, etc. on other seedlings? Have a good one!

annie57 said:
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! That view is just amazing! Gorgeous!

Am gonna see if can't talk some friend who won't say "too old" to hike to top of Table Rock for views below when the leaves start to turn here.

Rick, what is your technique for OW that doesn't bring down aphids, mites, locusts, plagues, etc. on other seedlings? Have a good one!
Thanks Miz Annie... good wishes are always gratefully accepted, and I'll pass it on to my wife. :)

I don't think I do much to keep pests down... I just move the plants around. Crop rotation schemes are sorta like playing "Three Card Monte" with the pests... when their eggs hatch in the spring, their meal ticket is nowhere to be seen, and the babies starve. The rest is a side benefit of the Northern weather. When it gets cold enough to freeze the ground solid for 4 months out of the year it just naturally kills most of them off... eggs too.

The only other thing I do is to plant things that attract Lacewings and Ladybugs... especially Basil, Coriander and Marigolds. http://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_attract_benefi.html

Looks like seeding lots of dill is in order! And yes, I dread it next year as we are having an abnormally warm fall.

My mother blows my mind too as her stuff, perennials in pots--she just shakes the plant--hits it with water, little new soil--lets it dry, brings it in. Nada. Me? I tried to overwinter a bhut once and it eventually had to die in cold. I changed soil, washed roots, hit it with water, all that! Nope: aphid infestations. With our normal seasons, not too bad just starting over in a clean space: half water/Clorox on everything, replace mylar.

My idea of crop rotation is: "Will it fit here?" No; seriously. But really, spraying soil during year with Actinovate/Biotmax, could be b.s. but really appears to keep negative fungal issues down. Unless by July, 30 inches over normal rainfall, then tomatoes take a hit. Sad! But peppers keep giving so lemme go see if I can return their love! Peace!

Trying to rotate in a small garden is hard, the critters that over winter just slide over. Which is why I'm tempted not to plant corn this year. The first few years no bother, now they get hammered.

But it's all we have, at least it helps with diseases.

I haven't read Greg's OW solution yet, will do so soon. Guru has a nice glog on it. I don't think I'll have to do a true OW, just move them in the shop when it's nasty, which is why they're on the driveway now. But I guess I'll have to trim the roots and tops as they hit the dirt come spring.

"Yall have a great week!

annie57 said:
Looks like seeding lots of dill is in order! And yes, I dread it next year as we are having an abnormally warm fall.

My mother blows my mind too as her stuff, perennials in pots--she just shakes the plant--hits it with water, little new soil--lets it dry, brings it in. Nada. Me? I tried to overwinter a bhut once and it eventually had to die in cold. I changed soil, washed roots, hit it with water, all that! Nope: aphid infestations. With our normal seasons, not too bad just starting over in a clean space: half water/Clorox on everything, replace mylar.

My idea of crop rotation is: "Will it fit here?" No; seriously. But really, spraying soil during year with Actinovate/Biotmax, could be b.s. but really appears to keep negative fungal issues down. Unless by July, 30 inches over normal rainfall, then tomatoes take a hit. Sad! But peppers keep giving so lemme go see if I can return their love! Peace!
Why not plant lots of Cilantro and a little bit of Dill... unless you really like Dill... I think the marriage of hot chiles and Cilantro was made in heaven! Add a little fresh squeezed Lime juice and it'll ignite the little grey cells along with your mouth. Lol!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Actinovate... We don't need to spray the soil for fungus issues because the soil is so sandy and well-drained, and the Nightshades don't get "Trench Foot" here. It's good to know what's out there though in case I try growing anyplace else.

No offense meant Miz Annie, but you might have just described why your Mom's plants do better... she leaves them mostly alone to get on with the business of growing.  I'm convinced the more you mess with them, the more "peaked" they get. Plants are just like kids... give 'em what they need to get started and turn 'em loose...

Congrats on two fold, anniversary and nice colorful haul. I agree with the leave dem alone but just like everyone else I have to mash tings up and get involved, lol.

Hab a great week Rick!

Devv said:
Trying to rotate in a small garden is hard, the critters that over winter just slide over. Which is why I'm tempted not to plant corn this year. The first few years no bother, now they get hammered.

But it's all we have, at least it helps with diseases.

I haven't read Greg's OW solution yet, will do so soon. Guru has a nice glog on it. I don't think I'll have to do a true OW, just move them in the shop when it's nasty, which is why they're on the driveway now. But I guess I'll have to trim the roots and tops as they hit the dirt come spring.

"Yall have a great week!

I hear ya Scott... I don't move my plants far... just down cellar from the back yard, but they stay down there for 5 months until it warms up enough to replant them outside. That seems to do the trick of  getting rid of the pests. :)
WalkGood said:
Congrats on two fold, anniversary and nice colorful haul. I agree with the leave dem alone but just like everyone else I have to mash tings up and get involved, lol.

Hab a great week Rick!
Thanks Ramon... I hope yours was stellar as well. Good night all, and welcome to the working week...

stc3248 said:
Gonna be really fun to follow your winter grow brother...sorry to see such a great grow end!
Thanks Shane... we're small potatoes here compared to your "orchard", but havin' fun nonetheless. :)

I came home for lunch today and found an envelope from brother Jamie with a packet of his Garlic Pepper Salt. Thanks Jamie, I'll be sure to put it to good use!
SANY0400_zpsf67b1728.jpg

Back