• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Hi G... I don't think it's any one thing. I made up my own seed starting mix out of ProMix potting soil(with mycorhyzae), rock phosphate and bonemeal. I misted with epsom salt solution as needed, GH RapidStart, seaweed tea and the airpots made a huge difference in developing the roots. The rest is just adequate light, warmth and water. I got a couple of sharp lessons in monitoring soil moisture and spiking the soil pH by adding an excess of amendments, but things are still going well.

Did a google search for info on finding epsom salt in Japan, and it looks like your best bet is to check a pharmacy. Hope this helps... http://www.japan-gui...ay.html?0 80421

Hey Trippa, I finally had a Fish Pepper hook up when I checked tonight, so I'm 1/3 for those. :dance: That brings the ornamental varieties I have going to 4... Aji Omnicolor, Chinese 5-color, Peruvian Purple and now the Fish Pepper.

Yep I've been asking for ryu-san maguneshiumu(硫酸マグネシウム)
舎利塩(sharien) my wife understood as soon as I said MgSo4 and she said it exists but hard to find.

No where I looked yet has it. My wife is gonna look today. Found it on amazon too, but don't have credit card or account.

Way to go Rick glad those fish peppers are underway for you!!

Yep I've been asking for ryu-san maguneshiumu(硫酸マグネシウム)
舎利塩(sharien) my wife understood as soon as I said MgSo4 and she said it exists but hard to find.

No where I looked yet has it. My wife is gonna look today. Found it on amazon too, but don't have credit card or account.

http://www.umaichem.co.jp/e_index.html. there's more Epsom salts then you can shake a stick at.

He could always make bath bombs with the extra Rick!! Epsom salts are one of the main ingredients in many of them and is great just sprinkled in the bath to relax and for the relief of tired muscles

:rofl:

Thanks guys... I'm happy about the things that went well this year, and I've learned some important lessons from the ones that didn't.

You're probably right Jamie... I've been feeding my chiles nutes and giving them lots of light and warmth so they grew faster than necessary. Next year I'll either start a little later or cut back on the nutes/warmth to slow them down.

Looking in on the seed trays after supper, I see that a few of the Eggplant are starting to pop... both the Black Beauty and the Thai green and white varieties.

Only one popped so far Michelle, but here it is with some of the other newbies...
SANY0521_zps164fd4ee.jpg

SANY0522_zpsf95b62d7.jpg

SANY0534_zps8f4fa24f.jpg

Love the purple variegation on the Peruvian Purple...
SANY0535_zpseaeb8591.jpg

Deffo can see the hairs on the Red Rocoto...
SANY0536_zps0f346c8f.jpg

Magnum Orange Habanero...
SANY0540_zpse642f14b.jpg

Jalapeno Zapotec...
SANY0533_zpseed36aa5.jpg

Aji Panca...
SANY0542_zpsea44917b.jpg

Holy Mole' Hybrid
SANY0538_zps87f56c97.jpg

Alma Paprika...
SANY0539_zps2dca3044.jpg

There's my limit... I'll post more for a bump...

Thanks Sean!

Here's a shot of the Chiero... it got quite yellow for a bit, but spraying with epsom salts solution brought it around.
SANY0543_zps3dda1bbf.jpg

Kapia Belcanto...
SANY0537_zps10aa6a08.jpg

Urfa Biber...
SANY0532_zpsb72d533e.jpg

Krimzon Lee Paprika...
SANY0531_zpsdd41176a.jpg

Serrano Tampiqueno...
SANY0530_zps6390dac7.jpg

Jalapeno Mucho Nacho...
SANY0529_zpsb78968a0.jpg

Hungarian Tomato Pepper "Greygo"
SANY0525_zps008354c6.jpg

Chilhuacle Negro...
SANY0523_zpsc40f610b.jpg

Your guys are taking off. Mine are pretty much remaining the same size. Probably the temperature. At the bottom of the greenhouse it's cool, the seed trays are up higher so they are getting all of the heat while the up-potted guys are sitting a bit colder. That, and I just fed them for the first time the other day. I'm okay with small, though, takes up less space for now!

Hey Stickman, great pics. Everything is looking awesome man! Good news about the snow... told ya, our days are getting cooler fast... not long now and spring will be in full swing! I can't wait to see the magic you will perform once your babies are in the soil! You have so many different types!

Your guys are taking off. Mine are pretty much remaining the same size. Probably the temperature. At the bottom of the greenhouse it's cool, the seed trays are up higher so they are getting all of the heat while the up-potted guys are sitting a bit colder. That, and I just fed them for the first time the other day. I'm okay with small, though, takes up less space for now!
Yeah... they really need enough warmth to get the size to start growing well. Once you pass the tipping point, it doesn't seem to matter as long as you don't chill them too much.

Here's to spring coming on!
S'right... That's what I'm talkin' about! :dance:

Hey Stickman, great pics. Everything is looking awesome man! I can't wait to see the magic you will perform once your babies are in the soil! You have so many different types!
I went downstairs to check on my babies there and was amazed to find that the Aji Criolla Sella is blossoming down there! It's not quite fully open, but definitely recognizable as an Aji by the flower...
SANY0547_zpse0ac1e1b.jpg

SANY0545_zps0ce05dc9.jpg

The Chinense in the airpots are budding too... Starting with the Yellow 7
SANY0548_zpsd954dc00.jpg

The Maya Red Habanero...
SANY0549_zps593912a0.jpg

And the Douglah... Apparently the bout with yellow leaves didn't really hurt it.
SANY0550_zps2d06c5d1.jpg

Back