• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

WalkGood said:
Moroccan chicken kebabs … holy master chef podmon … looks yummy!!! Amazing how good your plants look and keep growing with your overnight lows of 45, dat just slows down my plants when it’s like dat here. I see lots of pods, you’re going to have a bumper crop mon … have a great Friday & weekend Rick y familia!!!
Hi Ramon,
   Glad you like brethren! Actually, it's been climbing into the 50's the last few nights. Maybe close to the 60's by the end of next week. Things'll really take off then. You and your family have a great one too!

megamoo said:
Looking good :)
I grew an Antohi Romanian this season and it didn't do too well (my fault) but I did get one green late pod, which had a bug in it.  But if you didn't know you'd swear it was a small tomato.  I'm interested to see you get some good ripe ones and see what they are like.
Sure Moo! From what I gather, they're supposed to look like a somewhat elongated heart-shaped Pimiento... ripening through yellow to red. Out of curiousity, what do your weather averages look like? I seem to remember Perth as a very hot, dry place but with your proximity to the ocean I could be way off.  Cheers!

wz_clim_annual_site_9172.png

There you go :) This is a small airport near me.   Hot dry summers, cold wet winters.  Right now most plants are shutting down but if they are in a nice protected spot they can just keep on going all winter.  I'm going to start sowing seeds inside probably around the beginning of August.  Reading all the northern glogs I'm itching to get started again!

Hi Moo,
   Looking at your weather plat, I'd say you could sow your Hungarians indoors in August and transplant outside 6-8 weeks later. Because of its elevation, Hungary has a fairly short growing season and they favor fast-growing peppers with a bit of cold tolerance. Have you figured out what you're going to sow yet?

Looks like all your plants are loving there new home and with warmer weather  on the horizon ,  and all the love you give them I see lots of pods in your near future. You have a great weekend Ricky Ticky 

romy6 said:
Looks like all your plants are loving there new home and with warmer weather  on the horizon ,  and all the love you give them I see lots of pods in your near future. You have a great weekend Ricky Ticky 
Thanks Jamie... You and the family have a great weekend too!

roper2008 said:
Looking good Rick.   I had plans to work in the garden today, but it's raining.
Hi Linda,
   Well, weeding wouldn't be fun for sure, but (trans)planting would be productive... ;) Have a great weekend sister!

That Criolla Sella looks an awful lot like a plant I grew last summer that was unlabled when I bought it. I'll have to dig up a pic and see if you can't confirm it for me.
Roper, you must be in new England, cause it's been raining here all day.

scratchzilla said:
That Criolla Sella looks an awful lot like a plant I grew last summer that was unlabled when I bought it. I'll have to dig up a pic and see if you can't confirm it for me.

Sure Zack... no problem. How's it going where you're at in VT?

stc3248 said:
Dawn patrol with some ripening Baccatums...ahhhh. Love it Rick! Looking forward to some weekend full sun updates!
Thanks for the buzz Shane! It's been cloudy, cool and showery the last couple of days so I may have to wait a few days for the Criolla Sella pod to fully ripen. It's still got a bit of green to it and I want the full effect...

I topped both of my Aji Panca chiles a couple of weeks ago to get them to push out their side branching, and it looks to have worked pretty well.
SANY1092_zps19950b0e.jpg

Gochus are all well up and flowering/podding up like crazy
SANY1091_zps7f8985c0.jpg

SANY1089_zpsd3b4438e.jpg

More flowers on the Manzano... I hope some start to stick soon
SANY1088_zps818edcfd.jpg

The second Omnicolor has started setting pods
SANY1082_zps5d91d02a.jpg

The Yellow Bhut has forked
SANY1084_zps93b95ec2.jpg

and the the Chiero Do Brazil has forked again
SANY1083_zpsadd54eb4.jpg

Krimzon Lee Paprika pods are coming along smartly
SANY1086_zpsca268ef4.jpg

Hungarian "Coloring" Paprika is starting to bust out
SANY1087_zps7db44943.jpg

Hungarian Tomato pepper pod is silver dollar sized now
SANY1090_zps8548a7a5.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Hi Rick, all da plants pictured are looking happy, healthy and primed for production. You'll soon have some killa harvest brethren! Love dat pic of the tomato pepper pod, bet you can't wait for her to ripen up ^_^

Have a great weekend mon ...

Hi Rick!

Beautiful plants! It's good to see that the Hungarians are doing well for you. The same plants in our garden are only 10 cm tall. You will have a good amount of peppers, soon! :dance:

Balázs

Geez Rick....Yawn. On the weekend you're supposed to do mid morning patrol sheesh...now keep it down us west coasters are still sleeping! :rofl: Seems like it takes forever for them to change color, then even longer for them to FINISH changing color!

Here's that pic I promised.

Peppers-06-27-12_4_1.jpg

Maybe it's a match?

Vermonts weather is sucking right now, days of rain, followed by one day of sun, and then another weeks worth of rain. Typical Vermont June.

scratchzilla said:
Here's that pic I promised.

Peppers-06-27-12_4_1.jpg

Maybe it's a match?

Vermonts weather is sucking right now, days of rain, followed by one day of sun, and then another weeks worth of rain. Typical Vermont June.

Geez Zack, that looks more like an Annuum than a Baccatum to me. Were they sweet peppers that went from a medium green to bright red? The closest thing I can think of is the Lipstick pepper or some other form of pimiento.
   Better days are coming weather-wise... my Annuums and Baccatums are starting to pod up like crazy, and I'm getting good numbers of flowers on my Chinense, but it's not quite warm enough for most of them to stick. Keep the faith brother!

I was feeling jealous of you folks that are picking ripe pods, so I thought I'd sample one of the larger Omnicolor pods to see how they're coming along... bit off the tip half and found that this B!#@& bites, even though it hasn't started turning orange yet. Lol!
SANY1097_zpsd87717d8.jpg

I wasn't gonna waste this, so I chopped it up and added it to my lunch... Basque Garbonzo Con Chorizo stew over rice. I think you might like this one Ramon... and a growler of Berkshire Brewing Co Steel Rail Extra Pale to wash it down with.
SANY1098_zpse31a4d93.jpg

scratchzilla said:
They ripened yellowish-orange and had a jalapeño level of heat. Still a mystery I suppose.
Huh... Think it could be a Hinkelhatz Yellow? This pic is from Amishlandseeds.com
hinkelhatz.jpg

I'll keep looking around and get back to ya if I find a closer match. Cheers!

Dang Rick ran out of likes here.

I think it was Ramon who said something about how well and far along your grow is and you're still having 45's happen.

Fantastic work going on there my friend!

Always a treat to visit here!

WalkGood said:
Hi Rick, all da plants pictured are looking happy, healthy and primed for production. You'll soon have some killa harvest brethren! Love dat pic of the tomato pepper pod, bet you can't wait for her to ripen up ^_^

Have a great weekend mon ...
:)  Thanks Ramon, you too.
HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick!

Beautiful plants! It's good to see that the Hungarians are doing well for you. The same plants in our garden are only 10 cm tall. You will have a good amount of peppers, soon! :dance:

Balázs

Hi Balázs,
   Cheers mate! Glad to hear you dodged a bullet with the hail you got last week... turning those plastic crates over the plants to protect them was a stroke of genius. Now that your plants are well watered, I hope you get some sun and warmer temperatures. Let's get this show on the road! :onfire:
stc3248 said:
Geez Rick....Yawn. On the weekend you're supposed to do mid morning patrol sheesh...now keep it down us west coasters are still sleeping! :rofl: Seems like it takes forever for them to change color, then even longer for them to FINISH changing color!

Sorry Chief... what was I thinking! :shh:

After getting bitten by the unripe Omnicolor I'm gonna be more cautious of the Criolla Sella when I do sample it. ;)
Devv said:
Dang Rick ran out of likes here.

I think it was Ramon who said something about how well and far along your grow is and you're still having 45's happen.

Fantastic work going on there my friend!

Always a treat to visit here!

Thanks Scott,
   Did the cooler weather you ordered get there yet? ;)

Back