• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

stickman said:

Hi Balázs,
   Cheers mate! Glad to hear you dodged a bullet with the hail you got last week... turning those plastic crates over the plants to protect them was a stroke of genius. Now that your plants are well watered, I hope you get some sun and warmer temperatures. Let's get this show on the road! :onfire:

HI Rick,
The only bad thing about those crates is that they cannot stay outside so long...the Sun is weakening them, and they will eventually break. I am thinking about buying Raschel net next year, to build some Sun&hail shading. They give 25% shading, and protect the plants from hails. They are sold in different sizes: 3.5 m x 50 m (approx 40 USD) and 7.5 m x 50 m(approx 90 usd), and you can use them for 3 years. I need to find the best solution to keep my plants and my Dad happy, who actually owes the crates :party:

Balázs

Nice Great looking “Basque Garbonzo* Con Chorizo,” sorry you didn’t get me … just finished eating dinner, lol. The Garbanzo Con Chorizo that I make is on the soupy side but it’s on purpose. That said, I like them both ways ^_^

*not sure if the Basque spell it differently but I quoted it from your post above, I spell it Garbanzo VS Garbonzo

Those little aji's are tasty...but some bite in them. They're a little bitter when still yellow, when orange and red the sweetness really gets in there. Not too much more heat though. 

HabaneroHead said:
HI Rick,
The only bad thing about those crates is that they cannot stay outside so long...the Sun is weakening them, and they will eventually break. I am thinking about buying Raschel net next year, to build some Sun&hail shading. They give 25% shading, and protect the plants from hails. They are sold in different sizes: 3.5 m x 50 m (approx 40 USD) and 7.5 m x 50 m(approx 90 usd), and you can use them for 3 years. I need to find the best solution to keep my plants and my Dad happy, who actually owes the crates :party:

Balázs

Hi Balázs, and welcome to the top of page 66. I'm going to have to check into the durability of shade cloth here. Cheers
WalkGood said:
Nice Great looking “Basque Garbonzo* Con Chorizo,” sorry you didn’t get me … just finished eating dinner, lol. The Garbanzo Con Chorizo that I make is on the soupy side but it’s on purpose. That said, I like them both ways ^_^

*not sure if the Basque spell it differently but I quoted it from your post above, I spell it Garbanzo VS Garbonzo
Curses, foiled again! ;)  Sorry about the spelling... middle school spanish was 40 years ago. :)
stc3248 said:
Those little aji's are tasty...but some bit in them. They're a little bitter when still yellow, when orange and red the sweetness really gets in there. Not too much more heat though. 
Hi Shane,
   I didn't think they were all that bitter, but you're right, they weren't all that sweet either. I'm looking forward to lots of them this summer! :dance:
Nothing new to report in the garden this morning... I waited until almost 9am to report out of respect for the Chief... ;)
 I've got lots of chores to do today, but before breakfast I made up some Shashlik to marinate until tonight. It's the Russian equivalent of Shish Kebab, and it's pork marinated in onions, ground coriander and black pepper and coarse salt. Of course I had to add some pepper love, so I used a bit of my ground chipotle from last year's jalapenos.
SANY1099_zps558e7d38.jpg

Looks d-lish! I had a hard time staying out of this TD too...ughhh. Trying to stick to my diet!!! Figured a few grow-heads would jump in on this one, but oh well. Looks like the usual suspects over there.

stc3248 said:
Looks d-lish! I had a hard time staying out of this TD too...ughhh. Trying to stick to my diet!!! Figured a few grow-heads would jump in on this one, but oh well. Looks like the usual suspects over there.
Yeah... I had to work yesterday, and went out to my Mom's today to help her out around the place with the things she couldn't do for herself. Not enough hours in a weekend. I started a dozen Kurtovska Kapija peppers back in January and gave them to my Mom to plant at her place because I didn't have the room here, and she likes sweet peppers a heckuva lot more than she does the chiles... Lol! They're doing really well there... most of the plants have flowered and set at least a few pods. I took this pic of the acorn sized pods that are coming on now...
DSCN2532_zps97cc24ac.jpeg

Hope everybody had a great weekend!
meatfreak said:
Good stuff, Rick! The food looks great, your kebabs look mighty tasty! Good to see the plants are finally taking off as well for you :D
Hi Stefan, thanks for stopping by. I hope you've rounded the corner on spring and are heading down the back stretch to summer. Cheers!

ah man, i could definitely do with some of that kebab!
Guess ill have to stick with my Chili Con Carne with smoked bhut in it for lunch instead  :cry: 
*tiny violin* :violin:

georgej said:
ah man, i could definitely do with some of that kebab!
Guess ill have to stick with my Chili Con Carne with smoked bhut in it for lunch instead  :cry:
*tiny violin* :violin:
Hi G,
   If you've got Bhuts in your chile you've got at least a 4-alarm fire going there... :mouthonfire:

I picked what looked like a ripe Criolla Sella pod this morning and chopped it up for my eggs.
SANY1104_zps231670fd.jpg

SANY1113_zps4df913fd.jpg

It was very mild, like the miniscule Yellow 7 pod I ate a week ago. Presumably it'll "het up" when the weather does.

Time once again for the Dawn Patrol report...
The potted Maya Red is seriously kicking out blossoms now, and I haven't been seeing any dropped, so it should be setting pods now.
SANY1106_zps65878f13.jpg

The potted Yellow 7 is also starting to blossom as well. The in-ground Y7 is still dropping flowers, but it's in a more exposed place.
SANY1105_zps1b460a58.jpg

And the Douglah is right behind it.
SANY1107_zps27ae7e15.jpg

All of the Tomatoes I planted have set fruit. Probably the first to ripen will be the Sungold cherry tomatoes. I really love those!
SANY1110_zpsfb64c5a6.jpg

Have a good week all!

RocketMan said:
Looking good Rick. I thought about planting some Maya Reds this year but they didn't make the cut so, I'm looking forward to  your review of them.
me too! all the ones i tried to grow the cots rotted. :(

Thanks guys... I remember they weren't quite as hot as the Orange Habs last year, but they had a smoother flavor. They were a shoo-in for me here because they have the shortest time to maturity of any of the Habs I've seen.

Podding up the supers in the NE!!! Woot! Pro stuff Rick. You've really gotten dialed in up there...a few more seasons and I think you will take the "season" completely out of the equasion! I can see your place rocking an entire new array of solar panels and geothermal heating apparatuses, podding up year round and spreading the pepper love!!!

Looking great! Nice thick stems and a healthy looking terrace make for great podding. The douglah looks especially loaded up.

My tomatoes are pretty close to where yours are at, and definitely no more than a week or so behind. 

How are the temps in your area? It looks like you must have been a bit warmer than we've been up here.

stc3248 said:
Podding up the supers in the NE!!! Woot! Pro stuff Rick. You've really gotten dialed in up there...a few more seasons and I think you will take the "season" completely out of the equasion! I can see your place rocking an entire new array of solar panels and geothermal heating apparatuses, podding up year round and spreading the pepper love!!!
Thanks for the good vibe Shane, but I think you must have me confused with someone that has lots of spare cash... Lol! If it weren't for the PV panels on my roof making electricity I don't think I'd have been able to afford running the grow lights for as much of the season as I did. I'm glad I made an early start this year, because the weather has been so cool and wet by turns. Overnight lows when the skies are clear  have been in the mid-upper 40's and when it rains they've been in the upper 50's to low 60's. It's like the jet stream has been pulling down cold air from Canada, but we get occasional masses of warm air from the south that briefly muscle it aside as they pass through. One side effect of the weather is that I've gotten good intel on the best varieties of chiles to grow in cool, wet areas. :)

Back