• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking good, hope you are not getting all the rain we are. I am about to put 2 of each plant on the arc.
Looking at the NOAA website, I see we gotten more than 20 inches of precipitation since March 1st... including 6 inches of snow in March. I hope things are warm enough for you that your babies are growing well. I don't think I'm ready to get tickets for the 40-day excursion trip yet... ;)

Devv said:
Wow ! those kabob's look good!

AND you're already getting some ripe pods!

Just killer...
Thanks Scott... maybe you aught to talk to Chris about getting some of his rain shipped your way?

Stefan_W said:
Looking great! Nice thick stems and a healthy looking terrace make for great podding. The douglah looks especially loaded up.

My tomatoes are pretty close to where yours are at, and definitely no more than a week or so behind. 

How are the temps in your area? It looks like you must have been a bit warmer than we've been up here.
Thanks Stefan... I think our temps are pretty similar about now... at least when the skies are clear. It's actually warmer at night when it rains. I say we boot the jet stream further north so we can warm things up, eh? ;)

Trippa said:
Looking great Rick ... Those Chinense are starting to fly now!!
Thanks Trippa, I'm hoping to post some pod shots of the Douglah for you in a few weeks... if the weather cooperates. :pray:

scratchzilla said:
Nice plants! Everything looks super happy!
Thanks Zack! Have you got any chiles planted out yet?

WalkGood said:
Plants coming along, it's great when the flowers start setting ... dam you got me on the foodie, haven't gone to eat yet and now I'm starving
Thanks for the good word Ramon, coming from you that's a big compliment. :)  The greens are really coming in here ATM. I'm trying to succession plant so we have a steady supply, and sowing multiple varieties to provide interest. Right now we're eating beet and Asian radish  thinnings, mache', lettuce and shungiku, and we have baby bok choy and mustard greens planted for later.

scratchzilla said:
I have a few. My black jalapeño OW is doing great, and I have some habs, jalapeños, Serrano, etc. I'll update my glog when we have a nice dry day out.
Good enough... looking forward to it. Cheers

There was no Dawn Patrol report this morning because there didn't seem to be anything to report, but looking in on the chiles this afternoon it struck me that the flowers on the Manzano have started to stick, so hopefully they're gonna start podding up now.
SANY1115_zps994aebd3.jpg

Cheers All!

Great to see blooms on your Manzano!  Yours is a bit further along than mine.  I have been pleased with how well mine has tolerated the harsh conditions down at the community garden.  It didn't drop any leaves like most of the other plants did.

highalt said:
Great to see blooms on your Manzano!  Yours is a bit further along than mine.  I have been pleased with how well mine has tolerated the harsh conditions down at the community garden.  It didn't drop any leaves like most of the other plants did.
It's great that your Manzano has been taking the alpine conditions in your area well. I'm not surprised though, because it's home range is in the foothills of the Andes. My other alpine plants are all doing extremely well... the Hungarians, Serrano Tampiqueno, Chimayo', and Ochsenhorn are all at a good height and podding up like crazy.

cool98010 said:
Lovely Flowers :) :D
Thanks RS, and welcome to the zoo!

When I was out making my Dawn Patrol I bumped one of the Jalapeno Zapotec plants and a pod fell off. It looked like the pepper stem had pinched itself off where it connected to the plant, but waste not, want not...
SANY1124_zps41258c9e.jpg

I chopped it up and sauteed in butter for an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich.
SANY1127_zps4b80d050.jpg

I haven't grown the JA Zapotec chiles before, so I didn't know how much heat to expect... pretty respectable even though green and only a half grown pod. These'll make some great poppers!

Time once again for the report of the Dawn Patrol...

The Urfa Biber is budding up and getting ready to flower
SANY1117_zpsdc49ce3b.jpg

The Fish Pepper is still runty, but greening up and starting to extend itself. It's just started showing variegation in the leaves.
SANY1118_zpsb507c651.jpg

Marconi Rosso pods are looking good
SANY1119_zps79e9199f.jpg

The second Hungarian "Coloring" Paprika is podding up.
SANY1120_zpsb2e9e755.jpg

And the Almapaprika is just loaded!
SANY1121_zps4d46c1b0.jpg

I'm constantly amazed at how big the Tomatillo Verde is getting. ATM it's about 4 feet tall and still climbing. I hope all those flowers set fruit so it'll have someplace else to put all its energy...
SANY1122_zps6c12a955.jpg

Have a good "hump day" all!

Looking good Rick ... Those tomatillos are really going for it. You may not notice but the Hot Fish Pepper looks much more robust then the last time you posted ... Great looking plants once they get going

Rick while doubtful if I ever move north I’ll be picking your brain on a daily basis, hands down you know how to do it in da cold and your plants show your expertise brethren … Hat’s off mon \o_

Now when it comes to foodie, you suck ;) I’m freaking starving now so I’m off to eat, lolz

Looking Great Rick!  Congrats on the Manzano Flower, I am definitely looking to grow those come next year.  I had some powder that Shane smoked, and it was great.  Also, it is such a cool plant with great looking flowers. 

Can't wait to see it start to produce!

Oh you can count on it, Rick that the flowers of the Tomatillo's will set fruit. I love how rapid this plant grows, once it's rooted and ready to go there's no stopping it. I need to plant out mine also, since they are seriously starting to branch out. Your not the only one with a Fish that doesn't show the variegation in the leaves, same here. Looking forward to some Urfa Biber pods :D

Dang Rick, all these varieties I've never heard of, that's just crazy!

Things are certainly coming along! I've said it before and will again, chiming in with Ramon....fantastic work up there in the frozen north going on! My issue here is getting things in early enough before heat sets in, and I intend to use some of your techniques next season for sure.

Keep it up buddy, it's just starting!

Trippa said:
Looking good Rick ... Those tomatillos are really going for it. You may not notice but the Hot Fish Pepper looks much more robust then the last time you posted ... Great looking plants once they get going
Thanks Trippa! Have you made progress on your grow list for next season?

WalkGood said:
Rick while doubtful if I ever move north I’ll be picking your brain on a daily basis, hands down you know how to do it in da cold and your plants show your expertise brethren … Hat’s off mon \o_

Now when it comes to foodie, you suck ;) I’m freaking starving now so I’m off to eat, lolz
Thanks Ramon! There's nothing to it if you can throw time and money at them... the trick is to keep it affordable. :whistle:

C'mon... ya had to eat anyway... what's the problem? ;)

MGOLD86 said:
Looking Great Rick!  Congrats on the Manzano Flower, I am definitely looking to grow those come next year.  I had some powder that Shane smoked, and it was great.  Also, it is such a cool plant with great looking flowers. 

Can't wait to see it start to produce!
Thanks Matt,
   Shane sent me some of his smoked Manzano powder last year too... excellent stuff, and the reason I wanted to grow one this year. I'm gonna try to OW it as well as a Yellow 7, a Criolla Sella and the Douglah. We'll see  how that works out this winter...

meatfreak said:
Oh you can count on it, Rick that the flowers of the Tomatillo's will set fruit. I love how rapid this plant grows, once it's rooted and ready to go there's no stopping it. I need to plant out mine also, since they are seriously starting to branch out. Your not the only one with a Fish that doesn't show the variegation in the leaves, same here. Looking forward to some Urfa Biber pods :D
Hi Stefan,
   I'm counting on the Tomatillos having a big harvest, and to that end I planted Epizote and extra Cilantro. I'm succession planting the Cilantro so I'll have a continuous supply. I'm really looking forward to trying the Urfa Biber pods too. Don't know if I'll sun-dry them and wrap and bring them inside at night to try to get that deep purple color, but we'll see how it shakes out. That time of year is usually really busy putting away the harvest for the winter, and this September I'm planning on making as much Ajvar as possible with the Kapia peppers I grew.

Devv said:
Dang Rick, all these varieties I've never heard of, that's just crazy!

Things are certainly coming along! I've said it before and will again, chiming in with Ramon....fantastic work up there in the frozen north going on! My issue here is getting things in early enough before heat sets in, and I intend to use some of your techniques next season for sure.

Keep it up buddy, it's just starting!
Thanks for the good vibes Scott,
   Well, variety's the spice of life, eh? What are your overnight low temperatures like during the winter? That would be the place to start. Cheers!

Aaand time for the Dawn Patrol report...

Things have cooled down quie a bit again... the temperature at 5am was 47 degrees. As previously mentioned, the alpine peppers seem to be doing the best about now.

Serrano Tampiqueno
SANY1128_zpsdea277c7.jpg

Chimayo'
SANY1132_zps181e6b43.jpg

Gochus (Korea is quite mountainous)
SANY1131_zps831b27a0.jpg

SANY1130_zps38192447.jpg

Aji's are also alpine peppers, like this Omnicolor and the Criolla Sella.
SANY1137_zpsfc84ec21.jpg

The pods on the older Omnicolor plant are starting to turn orange
SANY1138_zpsab0a6ea0.jpg

and the Criolla Sella
SANY1140_zps6506a938.jpg

The un-variegated Chilhuacle Negro pepper is seriously cranking out the pods
SANY1133_zpsec52c8f3.jpg

The Yellow Bhut has forked into three main branches
SANY1136_zps3d1a7ea5.jpg

and the Magnum Orange Habanero has also forked
SANY1135_zps66b9406b.jpg

Have a good Thursday all!

I just love watching the peppers I haven't heard of grow like your Criolla Sella and  Chilhuacle Negro probably the sauce maker in me always on the look out for a new pepper that'll make a great sauce. So, I'll be very interested in your opinion of the taste and heat of these peppers.   I didn't realize that tomatillo's grew so fast. That's great too, I'm planning on some in the garden when we get into the new house. 

Have a great end of the week Rick.

Getting there Rick... 8-9 out of 10 spots filled... just waiting to see if I recieve the last packages which are currently missing in the post... not holding out much hope they will arrive now though 25-26 days later... will be starting next weekend at this stage

stickman said:
 What are your overnight low temperatures like during the winter? That would be the place to start. Cheers!

Winters here are sometimes warm enough to have peppers OW in the dirt, last year was. I've seen Christmas many times in the 80's. But I remember in '89 Christmas eve was a high of 15. Typically we see on the colder days highs of 40 and lows in the high 20's but that's a 3-4 day cold front. I'd love a green house but I'm worried about how well it would actually serve us, because it get hot so soon.

A temporary hoop row like you and Greg use would probably suit us better and cost a lot less.

BTW those Chinense are ready!

Looking good!

Wow everything is podding up nicely, even the yellow Bhut and magnum orange Hab look like they have flower buds. I’m sure that plastic mulch has worked it’s wonder keeping heat in your soil and the added benefit of no weeds is great!

georgej said:
wow. those gochus are looking great!
Hi G,
   They've been very consistent producers for me here in New England. I love the flavor... sort of a cross between a Cayenne and a Sweet Paprika. They make great powder.
RocketMan said:
I just love watching the peppers I haven't heard of grow like your Criolla Sella and  Chilhuacle Negro probably the sauce maker in me always on the look out for a new pepper that'll make a great sauce. So, I'll be very interested in your opinion of the taste and heat of these peppers.   I didn't realize that tomatillo's grew so fast. That's great too, I'm planning on some in the garden when we get into the new house. 

Have a great end of the week Rick.
Hi Bill,
   I've heard good things about the flavor of both of those varieties. The Criolla Sella is a thin-fleshed pepper that lends itself well to drying and powdering as well as fresh use. The Chilhuacle Negro looks like a chocolate Baby Bell pepper and it's used for mole' sauces in Mexico. I bet they'd both make great sauces, though the Chilhuacle Negro is very mild. At 1,250 to 2,000 Scovilles it's only as hot as a Poblano.

I was amazed at how quickly the Tomatillos grow once they get well established. I grew a couple in a grow bag last year but I planted them late and must not have given them enough water. They were spindly things that only gave up about a dozen golfball-sized fruits by the end of the season. This year I started the seeds at the same time as my Tomatoes and transplanted them outside under the hoophouse with the Peppers and Eggplants, and you see the results.
Trippa said:
Getting there Rick... 8-9 out of 10 spots filled... just waiting to see if I recieve the last packages which are currently missing in the post... not holding out much hope they will arrive now though 25-26 days later... will be starting next weekend at this stage
Excellent! I'll deffo be checking in to see how it goes for you. Good luck with your next growing season!
Devv said:

Winters here are sometimes warm enough to have peppers OW in the dirt, last year was. I've seen Christmas many times in the 80's. But I remember in '89 Christmas eve was a high of 15. Typically we see on the colder days highs of 40 and lows in the high 20's but that's a 3-4 day cold front. I'd love a green house but I'm worried about how well it would actually serve us, because it get hot so soon.

A temporary hoop row like you and Greg use would probably suit us better and cost a lot less.

BTW those Chinense are ready!

Looking good!
Hi Scott,
   Lows in the 20's overnight are too low for passive growing methods like I use... you'd do better to wait until they get up into the low 40's. There's going to be some fluctuation and some nights will probably get down into the 30's, but that's OK.  Cheers!
romy6 said:
 Just outstanding Rick. Now pass a pc of the yummy egg sandwich from yesterday :)
Heh-heh... It got to you, did it? Using that "windfall" Jalapeno was the first time I've deviated from using your hot, smoky deliciousness on my morning egg and cheese sandwiches. I think it'll just about last until I start getting pods of my own in. Thanks again brother Jamie!
WalkGood said:
Wow everything is podding up nicely, even the yellow Bhut and magnum orange Hab look like they have flower buds. I’m sure that plastic mulch has worked it’s wonder keeping heat in your soil and the added benefit of no weeds is great!
Thanks Ramon,
  I can't agree more on how effective the solar mulch is... it's what makes the difference here between doing well and sitting on my hands waiting for things to warm up so the plants can grow.

Back