• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

WalkGood said:
Everything looks great Rick! Wow 6 inches of growth on the Manzano over night is impressive ... super job!
I wonder if it has anything to do with the molasses and Bio Root nutes I've been feeding the runts... if I have any left over in the can after dosing the little guys I share the love with the rest of them on a rotating basis. Then add rain to wash it down to the roots and Bam! Sugar they can take in with their roots that they didn't have to photosynthisize... not that I'm trying to give any of you folks who entered the growdowns any ideas... ;)

romy6 said:
 Very nice indeed Rick. Weather warming up you will up to your ears in pods soon. With your cooking skills we want lots of ideas for cooking up all those amazing veggies you got growin . 
Thanks Jamie... count on it brother! You all know I love to cook. :dance:
PaulG said:
Looking really good, brother.  That ground cover really
seems to do the trick for you.  Enjoy the warm weather!
Thanks muchly brother! As cool and wet as spring seems to be for you, I bet it would assist your season  too. You could plant out in pots and set up your drippers first, then cover the soil at the top of the pot with the solar mulch and have the drippers underneath. You could even wrap the pots with it to warm up the soil in them when they need the assist, and just take it off again when they don't. It's a thought anyway...
Devv said:
The plants look like they laughed at the hail and said bring it on!

Any time it rains they seem to just jump a few inches.

I have to read up on the Criolla Sella, interesting plant!

Glad things are kicking in!
Thanks Scott! It's sure been a roller-coaster ride at the start of the season, but I hope to do well at the finish. I was pretty intrigued by the Criolla Sella when I was looking around for Baccatum varieties to plant last year. It's got a different flavor than the Omnicolor, but still typical of the hot Baccatums. With the thin flesh I think it'd make great powders. I just have to leave the pods on the plant to fully ripen and see if the sweetness and heat develop more fully. Cheers!

"Thanks muchly brother! As cool and wet as spring seems to be for you, I bet it would assist your season  too. You could plant out in pots and set up your drippers first, then cover the soil at the top of the pot with the solar mulch and have the drippers underneath. You could even wrap the pots with it to warm up the soil in them when they need the assist, and just take it off again when they don't. It's a thought anyway..."

Rick, that is a great idea - I will def try that next year.  Don't know
why it never occured to me.  I must be getting late onset Youngzeimer's
syndrome.  Is your mulch a special material, or ... ?

meatfreak said:
Everything looks great, Rick. Love dropping by every day to get my daily fix ;) Man, what an boatload of buds on that Chiero!!
Thanks Stefan! I have no idea what the pods are going to come out looking like, but my best guess is something like a cross between a cumari and a hab. One thing's for sure... with a name like Cheiro we know it's gonna smell real nice!

PaulG said:
"Thanks muchly brother! As cool and wet as spring seems to be for you, I bet it would assist your season  too. You could plant out in pots and set up your drippers first, then cover the soil at the top of the pot with the solar mulch and have the drippers underneath. You could even wrap the pots with it to warm up the soil in them when they need the assist, and just take it off again when they don't. It's a thought anyway..."

Rick, that is a great idea - I will def try that next year.  Don't know
why it never occured to me.  I must be getting late onset Youngzeimer's
syndrome.  Is your mulch a special material, or ... ?
Some folks like black landscaping fabric or black poly sheeting, but I read that the solar mulch actually warms the soil a few degrees more, so I sprang for that. There are multiple suppliers, but I get mine from Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/Assets/Information/Solar%20Mulch.pdf 
  http://www.johnnyseeds.com/Assets/Information/SRM_Red_Mulch_Tech_Sheet.pdf
Cheers brother!

Hi All,
   Just a quick update to my Criolla Sella review... I picked the first ripe pod from my in-ground plant this morning and sampled it on the spot. Much different from the first one I tried a few days ago. This one gave me about a dozen hiccups and a 5 minute burn. The same flavor and consistency as the first, but a bit sweeter as well. I think this pepper would make great salsa, relishes or powder. It seems to grow well in the north, and is an early and prolific producer. Just make sure to give it plenty of room to spread out, 'cause it'll need it!

GA Growhead said:
Jamaican Hot chocolates! yum! I don't think mine have set a pod yet!
Glad everything survived the storm. We had a couple storms blow thru today, but just rain. Hail! not good!
I wish I had grown at least a Jamaican hot chocolate or chocolate hab.  Makes a great powder.  I think you'll like it as a powder Rick, hot but taste good.

Devv said:
Glad you liked it Rick, must be hot to give you the hiccups!
It's not like That Rennie Shane ate last week... what was it, about 124 hiccups and a 12 minute burn? :lol:

FreeportBum said:
Been lurking for sometime, always enjoyed reading your glog and seeing your pics. love the foodie pics everything looks great
Thanks Devan... Welcome to the zoo! Feel free to drop by and chime in anytime. I see you have a small garden going up in Freeport... how's that going?

roper2008 said:
I wish I had grown at least a Jamaican hot chocolate or chocolate hab.  Makes a great powder.  I think you'll like it as a powder Rick, hot but taste good.
Thanks Linda, I'm definitely looking forward to it... I bought a few pods for making Jerk Chicken at a local farmstand last summer, and saved the seeds to grow out this year. I hope they grow true!

I had the makings for some pico de gallo in the fridge, so I threw it together with a few of the Criolla Sella pods and fresh Cilantro from the garden. I love this time of year!
SANY1322_zps18e55427.jpg

Bring on the theme song to Rocky... Hailstorm 0 Ricks Plants 1... you trained your plants well Master Stickman!

Lots of hailstorm here in Safrica. Golf ball size usually. So I am going to try and teach my plants to wield gold clubs or light sabres.

Any tips Master Stickman?

georgej said:

i hope so too! ;)
mine are lookin good so far!
Now that they've set pods it'll just be another 5-6 weeks to find out...
PeriPeri said:
Bring on the theme song to Rocky... Hailstorm 0 Ricks Plants 1... you trained your plants well Master Stickman!

Lots of hailstorm here in Safrica. Golf ball size usually. So I am going to try and teach my plants to wield gold clubs or light sabres.

Any tips Master Stickman?
Actually, Balasz said that they're prone to it in his area, and they deal with it by stretching UV stabilized shadecloth over the plants. The rain passes right through and it keeps out the hail. I'd set posts in the ground that project above the soil about 2 meters and space them about 4 meters apart, stretch wire between the tops of the posts, then stretch the shadecloth out on top and stake down the edges/corners.

Thanks stickman my container plants are doing really well so far . And the garden is looking great. I grow a bunch of stuff like potatoes,tomatoes,shallots,garlic,leeks,broccoli, asparagus, cukes, baby ginger etc. I will be posting pics in my glog to check out along with some foodie pics. Big amateur chef and weekend warrior here. All the best

PeriPeri said:
No lighsabres :(

OK, but the UV Photon Stabilizer Shields sound great :D

Your plants look great Rick!
S'right brother... it's all in how you look at things... ;)
FreeportBum said:
Thanks stickman my container plants are doing really well so far . And the garden is looking great. I grow a bunch of stuff like potatoes,tomatoes,shallots,garlic,leeks,broccoli, asparagus, cukes, baby ginger etc. I will be posting pics in my glog to check out along with some foodie pics. Big amateur chef and weekend warrior here. All the best
Cheers Devan, and we hope to hear of great things from you. It looks like your chiles had an early enough start, and they're very happy.
Time once again for the Dawn Patrol report, posting just a little delayed.

Another foggy, drizzly morning, but the early morning temps were in the mid 60's... I'm beginning to think summer really is here.

Both Magnum Orange Habs are blossoming now, but I don't think either have set pods
SANY1323_zps599f6fd1.jpg

The Yellow Bhut is flowering now too
SANY1324_zps514c72af.jpg

Butch T has started to flower also
SANY1332_zpse3ad6444.jpg

Picked my first Omnicolor today
SANY1325_zpsb78ef4be.jpg

JA Hot Chocolate is really exploding right now!
SANY1338_zps2d9eb600.jpg

Red Rocoto has started flowering
SANY1334_zps7ecc82ff.jpg

and the Manzano pods continue to grow
SANY1333_zps0390ba8e.jpg

Aji Panca still budding up slowly
SANY1339_zps5b0535bb.jpg

Pods on the Kapia peppers are growing quickly
SANY1327_zps505e3639.jpg

I suspect they crossed the Jal with an Anaheim to make the Jalapeno Mucho Nacho because of the size and 2-lobed appearance. The one I cut open last week had no seeds inisde
SANY1329_zps71804ccb.jpg

I've got a few more pics if I get a bump...

Your grow is really progressing, Rick!  Big pods and
bushy plants - gotta love the summer season!  

The Omnicolor looks great - love the color change cycle
on those pods.  They are a great all around pepper.

Thanks Guys!

Koreans are loading up... no surprise there
SANY1331_zps0e05b56f.jpg

Holy Mole' hybrid
SANY1335_zpsec667490.jpg

The Almapaprika is amazing me with its output.
SANY1337_zpsbb0f30a8.jpg

The second Hungarian Tomato pepper is right behind it
SANY1330_zps24a6b44b.jpg

Marconi Rosso. The biggest pod here is the one in the lower right that's mostly hidden by leaves. It's about 7 inches long by 3 wide at the shoulder.
SANY1336_zps30ccb2dc.jpg

Have a great Thursday all!

Nice pics, Rick.  Those Marconi Rossos are the best general
use sweet peppers imho.  Had some monsters last year.  This
year's crop is just starting to pod up.  I don't grow Bells anymore,
they are so easy to find anywhere.

Have a great weekend, my friend!

Back