• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

I had to run out to a clients place in the next county early this morning, so no Dawn Patrol, but I got a few pics of the chiles in the air-pruning pots when I got back.

Douglah
SANY0051_zps64dd0cd2.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY0052_zps0aaa25ac.jpg

Maya Red
SANY0053_zps9316753f.jpg

And another small pull... clockwise from the top left- Chimayo', Gochu, the first Chilhuacle Negro pod, pickling Cuke and Criolla Sella
SANY0054_zps700d469a.jpg

Have a good one all!

Yowsers!! you have got some great pods coming in Rick!! That douglah 'Alphanerdz' looks like it is growing true to form ... Quite distinctive pod shapes ... And almost matte appearance compared with other pods I find. Great work bro!!

PeriPeri said:
Bloomin' show off :D

The mother load has landed - wow!

Need to edit my comment a bit more sorry...

Wow, wow, wow!
Thanks Lourens... your OW plants look great! Have you started any seeds yet?
Devv said:
Very nice Rick!

Most excellent poddage :party:

Had chicken quesadilla's last night, and used the sauce as a dipping sauce, now that was good!
Excellent Scott... I may have to use it that way myself... :think:  I bet it would go well in Bloody Marys too instead of Tobasco.
romy6 said:
 Those Douglah's look perfect Sticky Ricky   :fireball:  :fireball:  :fireball:
Thanks Jamie! I've got a feeling those Douglah pods are gonna really hurt!
Trippa said:
Yowsers!! you have got some great pods coming in Rick!! That douglah 'Alphanerdz' looks like it is growing true to form ... Quite distinctive pod shapes ... And almost matte appearance compared with other pods I find. Great work bro!!
Thanks Trippa! I'm glad to hear that the Douglah is growing true in your experience. Funny I never noticed it before you mentioned it, but you're right about the skin of the pods looking "satin" rather than "gloss"
Cheers!

stickman said:
Thanks Lourens... your OW plants look great! Have you started any seeds yet?
All on the go. Still waiting for seeds from Aus... first batch got lost in the mail! But we are good on time this year. Not going to glog the germination this year... I need more time to recover lol

Great poddage Rick!

Those Douglahs look like real killers. I've tried one last year, it was extremly hot and juicy, capsaicin was dripping all over :D

Top notch, your plants are really loaded up, Rick!! If you could send me every recipe of the Javanese stuff you've made that would be great, it all looks mighty tasty.

Was at least a week behind on your glog, so let's see if I remember all of the things I wanted to comment on ...

Yep, your Cheiro (Recife) pic looks identical to mine last year.  Can't wait to hear your review of them.

Your Peruvian Purples are ahead of mine, as mine is just now setting pods.  Mine is covered in blooms though, so I'm thinking it might not be a low producer, just a late one, at least the one I'm growing anyway.

Your Alma's also seem to be more productive than mine, and my Scotch Bonnet and Jamaican Hot Choc. aren't even blooming yet. 

Those tomatillos probably did need some sugar.  They sweeten up once the paper husk dries out and splits on them.

Your grow this year is amazing!!!  Always interesting to see what's happening over here!

Stefan_W said:
Great stuff! You pods are getting up to size quickly in this heat. The douglahs have some nice gnarl going on there. 
Thanks Stefan, I got a bit of a scare when I got home from work today... the daytime high temperature was around 98 degrees (36 C), and the chiles in the air-pruning pots were so wilted that the leaves were hanging straight down and had appeared to have lost volume. I immediately gave them a shot of water by way of the drip irrigation system and a few hours later they had returned to their normal appearance. I'm gonna have to increase their allotment until things cool off again, but I expect the stress will ramp up capsaicin production, and these pods will be KA...

PeriPeri said:
All on the go. Still waiting for seeds from Aus... first batch got lost in the mail! But we are good on time this year. Not going to glog the germination this year... I need more time to recover lol
I hear ya Lourens... out of curiousity, do you have any Douglah seeds? The Alphanerdz strain I have going seems to be growing true from what Trippa says, and I'm definitely gonna save as many of the seeds as I can once they ripen. I hope to be in a position to share later, and if you'd like some, let me know... I'm thinking this one's a keeper!

MisterNo said:
Great poddage Rick!

Those Douglahs look like real killers. I've tried one last year, it was extremly hot and juicy, capsaicin was dripping all over :D
I'm looking forward to it Robert! If these are as hot as advertised, I'll probably use them for sauces and powders rather than fresh use. I like things much spicier than I used to, but I'm still not all that fond of pain.

MGOLD86 said:
Great looking branches on that Douglah Rick!  Really green, healthy looking!
Thanks Matt, I hope your seeds do as well or better next year!

georgej said:
me.. want.. Douglah!! looks awesome man!
Thanks G! It is pretty mesmerizing, isn't it? Maybe not so much keen interest as awful fascination... :scared:
HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,
The pickled Almapaprika looks like as it is written in the books :-) I hope you are going to like the flavour.
Nice poddage on the Douglah!
Balázs
Thanks Balázs, I tried a taste of the brine after I filled the jar, and it definitely had a hint of sulfur from the potassium metabisulfate... your directions didn't say whether to leave the top off the pickling jar for a while before fastening it down tight, so as to allow the sulfur dioxide gas to bleed off first, so I didn't. Hopefully, when the jar is opened, it'll bleed off then. Your comments?
meatfreak said:
Top notch, your plants are really loaded up, Rick!! If you could send me every recipe of the Javanese stuff you've made that would be great, it all looks mighty tasty.
You got it Stefan... I've never seen any posts about Javanese food on THP, so I think I'll start a new thread with the recipes in "cooking with fire".
highalt said:
Was at least a week behind on your glog, so let's see if I remember all of the things I wanted to comment on ...

Yep, your Cheiro (Recife) pic looks identical to mine last year.  Can't wait to hear your review of them.

Your Peruvian Purples are ahead of mine, as mine is just now setting pods.  Mine is covered in blooms though, so I'm thinking it might not be a low producer, just a late one, at least the one I'm growing anyway.

Your Alma's also seem to be more productive than mine, and my Scotch Bonnet and Jamaican Hot Choc. aren't even blooming yet. 

Those tomatillos probably did need some sugar.  They sweeten up once the paper husk dries out and splits on them.

Your grow this year is amazing!!!  Always interesting to see what's happening over here!
Thanks for taking the time to comment Bonnie. I know you're busy with all the irons you have in the fire, and I appreciate it!

The CR is really loaded with those little, round, pointed pods! I haven't tried to count them yet, but there have to be somewhere between 60 and 80 pods minimum, and it still keeps pumping out more. Just for yuks, I pulled off one pod and cut it in half to check the smell and taste... It definitely had the fruity chinense aroma, even in the ivory white stage, and enough heat to command respect. When these things fully ripen they're going to make a great powder and surprise a lot of people.

I picked my first 2 ripe Peruvian Purple pods today. They turned a bright Chinese Red. I'll save the seeds for trading purposes and dry the flesh to add to powder. I follow Matt and Jamie's lead when it comes to powder, and throw in almost everything... the only ones I separate out are the Koreans and the Jalapenos so I can make gochugaru and chipotle powder.

Did you ever use the solar mulch I sent you? If not, I hope you use it for some of your in-ground Chinense plants next year. I attribute a huge part of my success to using it for all of my chiles, and I think you'll benefit similarly if you do as well.

Thanks for the good vibe, and the same back atcha!
Bodeen said:
Nice looking plants.
Thanks BD, yours are too... I'm impressed by how well your chiles are growing, and especially by your cukes!

I just keep looking at that Douglah and the amazing amount of pods it has going for the size of the plant (I think I counted around  25-29 roughly dependent on how many of the little ones continue to grow and thats just in the photo!!) ... you've done a great job Rick

Rains comming Rick! At least we will get a big nasty storm saturday, i think it will hit you as well based on the news. Cant wait to cool down but the peps are lovin it!

Trippa said:
I just keep looking at that Douglah and the amazing amount of pods it has going for the size of the plant (I think I counted around  25-29 roughly dependent on how many of the little ones continue to grow and thats just in the photo!!) ... you've done a great job Rick
Thanks Trippa, I tried to do you well for providing the seeds in the first place. Are you over-wintering the parent plant?
PrimeTime said:
Rains comming Rick! At least we will get a big nasty storm saturday, i think it will hit you as well based on the news. Cant wait to cool down but the peps are lovin it!
We could sure use the rain Alan, but you're right, the peppers are loving the heat as long as they get enough water. It must be a drag having to water all of your chiles a couple times a day with them scattered over 3 different locations like you have them. There's a trick I learned from the folks that grow Bonsai at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden that you might find useful... Miniature Bonsai has such a tiny root ball that it would be incredibly easy during hot weather like this to have them dry out and die, and when you work for a living you can't be there to keep them constantly watered. They deal with it by placing blocks of ice in the top of the pots. The ice slowly melts, keeping the plants watered, and that keeps them going until you get home.
DocNrock said:
All is looking grand, Rick.  Glad to see you pulling some pods.  Love the look of those pickled Almapaprikas.  I'm saving up some Peppadews in the fridge to do something similar. 
Thanks Doc, I hope you post some pics, as I'd be interested in seeing how they come out for you. Cheers!

Back