• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

I think you will Brad :) ... everybody who tried it liked it, including brother Jamie ;) . I got a call from my office requiring me to do a fill-in yesterday in addition to servicing my regular clients, so I never did get the SFRB in the mail before the Post Office closed, but it's boxed up and labeled, and I'll definitely get it in the post today.

No worries, appreciate it

stickman said:
Thanks Ben! Boy, pepper weevils are a tough one... Probably the best way to deal with them organically is to practice regular crop rotation. By denying them food, you can kill them off or force them to leave. If you have somebody nearby who's been growing peppers or other nightshades for a few years and will continue to do so in the near future, that probably won't work. You should also burn infested plants after your harvest is over, and cultivate the soil well to interrupt the life cycle of the pupae in the soil.

Just one question on this recommendation.  One of the "infested" plants is a while fatalii.  That plant was a great producer for me, although many of the pods had the maggots.  I was hoping to over winter this plant, but I was thinking that I would remove the root ball from the infested soil, rinse it, and then plant in a pot with a cool potting soil.  Not sure it would survive.  I did a poor job last year on the over winters.  But, what do you think?  If the plant survives, the soil in the pot shouldn't be infected..  I still will have work in the garden to do as far as cultivating the soil and using pyrethrin.  Does that sound like a potentially good project?

PaulG said:
Over the top as usual, Rick   :clap: 

Are there any vacancies in your neighborhood   ;) ?

Sadly, no Paul... but I'm sure we could fit you somewhere in town, and there are the 5 colleges in the area if you still want to maintain your connection to academia... ;)

bpiela said:

Just one question on this recommendation.  One of the "infested" plants is a while fatalii.  That plant was a great producer for me, although many of the pods had the maggots.  I was hoping to over winter this plant, but I was thinking that I would remove the root ball from the infested soil, rinse it, and then plant in a pot with a cool potting soil.  Not sure it would survive.  I did a poor job last year on the over winters.  But, what do you think?  If the plant survives, the soil in the pot shouldn't be infected..  I still will have work in the garden to do as far as cultivating the soil and using pyrethrin.  Does that sound like a potentially good project?

I tried potting up some plants to overwinter last year with mixed success... the Manzano made it, but the Butch T and Yellow 7-pot didn't. I didn't wash the roots before potting up, and the only problem I had was a minor infestation of Aphids that I took care of with pyrethrin spray. The main reason I think I lost the Scorpions is that they couldn't take the temperatures down in our unheated cellar... it was a cold winter and it got down to the upper 30s in late January and most of February.  If you do wash the roots of the Fatali plant you want to OW and pot up with fresh soil (I'd recommend Pro-Mix for that) I'd think you'd keep the Pepper Weevil pupae out of the pots. Wash the stems and leaves of the plant too to knock out any Aphids that may be hiding there too. As far as next year goes, I'd say if you have a small and easily managed garden, you may be able to take care of the Weevils by going out into the garden and picking every weevil you see off of your plants and sending them to eternity. If you have so many plants that there's not enough time to do this every day, then you might want to resort to the pyrethrin... just be aware that it's a contact poison that's also lethal to friendly insects like bees, ladybugs and lacewings. It really is the nuclear option... it would be better in the long run if you planted a trap crop nearby or practiced crop rotation and planted next year's crop far enough away from where you grew them this year that the weevils won't be able to find them.

Devv said:
Rick,

The jerk tasted the same. If you need seeds I have plenty. OP of course.

I'm not surprised the Jerk marinade tasted much the same... I made some last year with some B-Goat pods I got from wayright and thought the same. If you want to share some OP seeds, that'd be much appreciated! Cheers!

I got a good deal on a case of red bell peppers on Tuesday... $12 for the lot because they were a little undersized and a few were odd shaped. By the time I got done roasting, peeling, seeding and removing the stems I had 6 quarts of pepper flesh. I froze the lot to hold them until the rest of the Kapijas ripen up enough to roast. When they're finished, I should have enough ajvar to fill 2 cases of pint jars. :drooling:

Starting to make headway on the backlog of peppers in the freezer... today I got out the Peri Peri pods and loaded them into the dehydrator...
SANY0009_zps9f1d56e6.jpg

...and cracked the first jar of crunchy Jalapeno rings to see how they came out. Between cutting the rings twice as thick and the brine recipe, they were still nice and crunchy after 10 weeks. Nice flavor and decent heat, and I didn't need to use Ball jars since it's a cold process.
SANY0008_zps92205473.jpg

TGIF all!

Looking good Rick.

You pulled the gardens down yet? I have some time this weekend. Probably about time, we two more weeks tops, but the end of Oct is pretty busy for me, so it is probably this weekend.

Are you going to make flakes or powder from the Peri Peri's?

Seeds will be sent soon, do you have any other requests? I really need to make a list.

Glad the jals came out well ;)

And yes TGIF! No alarm in the morning!

Jeff H said:
Looking good Rick.

You pulled the gardens down yet? I have some time this weekend. Probably about time, we two more weeks tops, but the end of Oct is pretty busy for me, so it is probably this weekend.

Not quite yet Jeff... tonight is supposed to get down to the low 40s and Tomorrow night is supposed to hit 30 degrees with a hard frost, so I'll cut down and hang the Goat's Weed, King Naga and Nabasco plants down cellar to finish ripening, and pot up the Manzanos to over-winter tomorrow. This season sure has had its ups and downs, but it's been a productive one nonetheless. I'll be looking forward to some "stand-down" time for sure! ;)

PeriPeri said:
Awesome Rick, going to make some nice chilli flake/powder... great for rubs - awsome on chicken ;)

Devv said:
Are you going to make flakes or powder from the Peri Peri's?

Seeds will be sent soon, do you have any other requests? I really need to make a list.

Glad the jals came out well ;)

And yes TGIF! No alarm in the morning!

I'm drying the Peri Peri pods whole since I find they keep in storage better, then I'll just crush them as I need them after that. I found a couple of good recipes that look very simple on the Washington Post website... http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/chicken-piri-piri/10512/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/piri-piri-sauce/10514/

Scott, if you have any seeds you can spare for the Primos and Ja Habs, I'd appreciate them too. Thanks!

Have a great weekend all!

Hey Rick, I hope your weekend is off to a good start!

I'll have a few Primo seeds if you need them.  
They are from an MGold pod in 2012.) Ditto
for the JA Habanero (from Devv's seed 2013).

Both are OP.

PaulG said:
 Hey Rick, I hope your weekend is off to a good start!

I'll have a few Primo seeds if you need them.  
They are from an MGold pod in 2012.) Ditto
for the JA Habanero (from Devv's seed 2013).

Both are OP.

I appreciate the offer Paul... hope you don't mind if I wait 'til I hear back from Scott to get back to you on that. :)

Today seems to be another day in the kitchen... I roasted up 2 baking sheets worth of Kapija peppers and made my first batch of whole wheat buttermilk bread for the season. Our house is so well insulated that it gets too hot inside when I bake bread unless we wait 'til at least the middle of October.
SANY0011_zps9ec4ecc9.jpg

SANY0010_zpsac4c83d9.jpg

Lourens... when I got done drying the Peri Peris I ended up with 62 grams of the dried pods. That ought to make a fair amount of Piri Piri chicken for the brai... ;)

Hi Rick,

I'm reasonably sure I have Primo seeds in their original packet. JA Hab's are no problem, I saved a ton of those. I also saved the seeds from the Turkish peppers OCD had Judy send me:

Sus pepper,Goat's Horn, Karaman(Fish pepper) , Kil (Hair) pepper,  Kiraz (Cherry) pepper

Thanks Scott! That would be Great! I'll pass on the Turkish peppers though... I have enough Kapija seeds already. The variety originally came to eastern Europe from the Turks, who call it Kapya.

PeriPeri said:
Wow Stickman, awesome bread! :party:  Nice stash of PeriPeri... should make for quite a few delicious experiences ;)

Oh yeah! It's our winter staple... whole wheat with buttermilk and honey. Besides the flavor, we like the tender crumb on these loaves.

Well folks... The forecast for tonight calls for a low of 28 degrees and the temps today were low enough that it was too cold for shorts. I guess I'll call this season a wrap. I cut down and hung the Goat's Weed, Dedo de Moca and Aji Limon up in the cellar to finish ripening. I potted up the two Manzanos and gave one to my friend the next town over and kept the OW Manzano from last year. I've got it set up in front of our south-facing sliding glass door in the dining room, so it'll get plenty of natural light and be nice and warm this winter. I just need to get another "plant nanny" to keep it watered.
SANY0012_zps92f0be97.jpg

Cheers all!
il_340x270545284866_9tsl_zps2a0be53a.jpg

The frost is still holding off here, we are expecting temps in the high 30's overnight. I am just waiting for some pods to finish ripening. Thanks for all the updates and tips throughout the season, it was enjoyable to follow. Great season Rick!

Man, end of season doesn't mean time to rest for you Rick, Kim-chi, Ajvar, drying peppers (FYI, those PeriPeris look great!), baking, whew I'm getting worn out just reading about it all :) 

Looks like it was a great season, did I miss your fall onion harvest? Looking forward to second season here and getting the new Spring season going and following all the Glogs 

Have a great week 

stickman said:
Hi all! My pepper-growing season has been a good one this year and I pulled in enough for the winter and some to share. To spread it around a little bit, I'm offering the winner's choice of  one of 3 different kinds of hot sauces. I have a red habanero sauce with tomato, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, cumin and a touch of coconut milk (Rick's Red), a blueberry- smoked chocolate habanero sauce with tomato, carrot, onion and a touch of maple syrup, and lastly, a peach-scotch bonnet sauce with culantro, mango nectar, garlic, mustard powder, brown sugar, allspice and nutmeg. All you need to win is to be the first THP member who joined the site after January 1st, 2014 to post on my glog's page 100. Good luck folks! :)
I got my sauce in the mail late last week from stickman's giveaway, i went with the blueberry-smoked chocolate habenero and tried it on several things (and by itself for that matter) and i would just like to say the sauce is amazing. I am no sauce reviewer by any means but the first thing that hits you is the smokiness, then a hint of sweet, and then the heat.  It is not super hot but it has a nice burn.  Very complex tasting and was outstanding on an omelet i made.  And another thank you to stickman for the offer, this really is a great sauce.

Back