• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Buddy I now know wht Hungary is named Hungary... because with awesome food like that you would probably be Hngary all the friggin time :) Your cooking is an inspiration buddy - well done you have drenched my keyboard with drool once again  :drooling:  I shall be using plastic wrap on my keyboard from now on when browsing your glog :D

randyp said:
    Hell yea Rick,luv the looks of that sauce.And I do use a heck of a lot of paprika in my cooking.I think I am adding it to my 2015 list.I buy so much of it,what was I thinking not growing it yet. :confused:

You'll be amazed at the flavor of Paprika you grow yourself Randy. One thing I learned from experience though... dry the pods whole and only grind what you need at the time to keep the flavors fresh. The more surface area you expose by grinding, the quicker the oleoresins and volatile oils oxidize and go stale. I get enough pods for a quart of powder from 6-8 plants, depending on variety.

Devv said:
Foodie looks great Rick!

You sure do eat well :P

Thanks Scott, I surely do try. ;)    Can't wait to hear what you think of the peach-scotch bonnet sauce. :)

PeriPeri said:
Buddy I now know wht Hungary is named Hungary... because with awesome food like that you would probably be Hngary all the friggin time :) Your cooking is an inspiration buddy - well done you have drenched my keyboard with drool once again  :drooling:  I shall be using plastic wrap on my keyboard from now on when browsing your glog :D

Glad you liked it Lourens. :)  I get a kick out of trying different things in the kitchen for sure, and it's pretty interesting to me to see how the same foods will be prepared differently by other cultures.

Looks like I'm almost to page 100, so it's time to offer something for the newbies... the first THP member who joined after January 1st, 2014 to post on page 100 will get their choice of a bottle of my peach-scotch bonnet sauce, blueberry-smoked chocolate Hab sauce or "Rick's Red" red habanero sauce.
Have a great weekend all!

Rick sent me this hot sauce and seeds the other day!

1255.jpg

I tried it out last night with chicken quesadilla. It's a very nice sauce. Sweet and fruity with just the right burn.

Thanks again Rick!

Heck of a job on that sauce!

Gonna give it a whirl on wings tomorrow ;)

Devv said:
Rick sent me this hot sauce and seeds the other day!

1255.jpg

I tried it out last night with chicken quesadilla. It's a very nice sauce. Sweet and fruity with just the right burn.

Thanks again Rick!

Heck of a job on that sauce!

Gonna give it a whirl on wings tomorrow ;)

Glad you liked it Scott... so I take it LB liked it too? :)  If you want the recipe I'd be happy to share.

I just got finished cubing up 8 pounds of Korean radishes, and I'm making a double batch of radish kimchi this afternoon.
IMAG0003_zps6dfdc9b2.jpg

Have a great Saturday all!

Nah, LB won't even try the hot sauces. At least she's cooking with peppers now. This morning she brought home a pork roast and said "let's make that Jerk recipe". So the roast is marinating ;)

That right there is a major step as far as I'm concerned.

Devv said:
Nah, LB won't even try the hot sauces. At least she's cooking with peppers now. This morning she brought home a pork roast and said "let's make that Jerk recipe". So the roast is marinating ;)

That right there is a major step as far as I'm concerned.

Very cool Scott. :)   My wife doesn't like it as hot as I do either, but she likes the Bonnets in marinades and sauces, and she'll even have a pinch of my kitchen sink powder (with the Bhuts and Scorpions) on her breakfast eggs every once in a while!

cypresshill1973 said:
You call me?

What should we call you Fabian? ;)

Not at the top of page 100 yet... :)

Here's the Korean radish kimchi called Kakduki. It's got cubed Korean radishes, garlic, ginger, scallions, mustard greens, napa cabbage hearts, salted shrimp, oysters, sticky rice powder, salt and Korean pepper powder (gochugaru).
SANY0001_zpse5d5c9f3.jpg

cypresshill1973 said:
He's right. I have betrayed anxiety, not reach 100 yet, overlook...  Sorry  :rolleyes:

That looks amazing, I would pay whatever it takes to taste it

No worries Fabian... do you have Kimchi or other pickled vegetables where you are in Argentina?

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick buddy that looks simply incredible. I can just imagine those flavours. The chilli powder isn't from your Korean Winner is it?

That's right Lourens. :drooling:  They were last year's crop. I still have 2 gallon-sized bags of pods to use in Kimchi making. ;) This year I tried an heirloom variety I got from Baker Creek seeds that seems to be nearly identical. I've got to work today, but when I get home I'll make some Mak Kimchi with the rest of the Napa Cabbage.
SANY0002_zps297629da.jpg

Cheers all!

Rick, your season was just awesome.  Do you do anything in particular outside to keep away Pepper weevils or other garden pests?  My newbie garden was hit hard this year by these Pepper maggots and I want to avoid that next season if possible.  Thanks for keeping a wonderful glog that I could always go to for motivation.

cypresshill1973 said:

Of course we have pickles. Kimchi is bought in Chinatown, although I've never tried kimchi, but if I saw them. 

But packed of market do not look like yours.

Interesting... I know the Chinese also make pickled cabbage, but they don't make it as spicy as the Koreans. Maybe that's why it looks different Fabian. :)

bpiela said:
Rick, your season was just awesome.  Do you do anything in particular outside to keep away Pepper weevils or other garden pests?  My newbie garden was hit hard this year by these Pepper maggots and I want to avoid that next season if possible.  Thanks for keeping a wonderful glog that I could always go to for motivation.

Thanks Ben! Boy, pepper weevils are a tough one... Probably the best way to deal with them organically is to practice regular crop rotation. By denying them food, you can kill them off or force them to leave. If you have somebody nearby who's been growing peppers or other nightshades for a few years and will continue to do so in the near future, that probably won't work. You should also burn infested plants after your harvest is over, and cultivate the soil well to interrupt the life cycle of the pupae in the soil. Low row covers will only keep out the pests that aren't already living in the soil next to your plants, and will also keep out the pollinators and friendlies like Lady Bugs and Lacewings. The only organic pesticides that are really effective with piercing and sucking insects are contact poison like pyrethrin, but they need sunlight and the presence of oxygen to render them harmless, so it would be a hazard to the pollinators and friendlies and should only be used as a last resort. Check around to find out who your extension agent is, they're probably more familiar with your local conditions than I am. Cheers!

Hi all! My pepper-growing season has been a good one this year and I pulled in enough for the winter and some to share. To spread it around a little bit, I'm offering the winner's choice of  one of 3 different kinds of hot sauces. I have a red habanero sauce with tomato, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, cumin and a touch of coconut milk (Rick's Red), a blueberry- smoked chocolate habanero sauce with tomato, carrot, onion and a touch of maple syrup, and lastly, a peach-scotch bonnet sauce with culantro, mango nectar, garlic, mustard powder, brown sugar, allspice and nutmeg. All you need to win is to be the first THP member who joined the site after January 1st, 2014 to post on my glog's page 100. Good luck folks! :)

Back