• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

parker49 said:
Very nice offer, not sure if this will start page 100 or not but if so i'm in :)

... And we have a winner! :)  If you'd pm me your mailing address and your preference for hot sauce, I'll get the sfrb in the mail tomorrow when the post office opens.

Thanks to the others who showed interest... better luck next time. ;)

stickman said:

What should we call you Fabian? ;)

Not at the top of page 100 yet... :)

Here's the Korean radish kimchi called Kakduki. It's got cubed Korean radishes, garlic, ginger, scallions, mustard greens, napa cabbage hearts, salted shrimp, oysters, sticky rice powder, salt and Korean pepper powder (gochugaru).
SANY0001_zpse5d5c9f3.jpg
Wow, you got an recipe for that, Rick. That looks absolutely delicious! also wow on 100 pages?!

stickman said:
Hi all! My pepper-growing season has been a good one this year and I pulled in enough for the winter and some to share. To spread it around a little bit, I'm offering the winner's choice of  one of 3 different kinds of hot sauces. I have a red habanero sauce with tomato, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, cumin and a touch of coconut milk (Rick's Red), a blueberry- smoked chocolate habanero sauce with tomato, carrot, onion and a touch of maple syrup, and lastly, a peach-scotch bonnet sauce with culantro, mango nectar, garlic, mustard powder, brown sugar, allspice and nutmeg. All you need to win is to be the first THP member who joined the site after January 1st, 2014 to post on my glog's page 100. Good luck folks! :)
Glad to you hear you had a good season and very generous on sharing your sauces! You making any plans for the 2015 season yet? :D

meatfreak said:
Wow, you got an recipe for that, Rick. That looks absolutely delicious! also wow on 100 pages?!

Glad to you hear you had a good season and very generous on sharing your sauces! You making any plans for the 2015 season yet? :D

Sure Stefan... you can make this with Daikon radishes, but they get soft fairly quickly when you pickle them, so I prefer to use Korean radishes. They're white with a green shoulder, mild and very firm without being hard. I get my seeds from Kitazawa seeds in Oakland, California. http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_korean_radish.html   They come in spring and fall sown varieties.  Anyway, I'll do my best to convert this to metric as I copy it down...

the Kakduki recipe calls for:

1 pound (half a kilo) of Napa Cabbage hearts
4 pounds (2 kilos) Korean Radishes or Daikon, peeled and cut into 1 inch (2.5cm) cubes
1 tbsp (18g)  kosher or sea salt... do not use iodized salt for pickles... it makes them slimy
4 tbsp (28g)  Korean Pepper powder (gochugaru), divided
2 tbsp (10g) of sweet rice flour or all-purpose wheat flour
2 tbsp (14g) of finely chopped pickled Krill (saeu chot)
1 cup ( 225g) freshly shucked Oysters, chopped
5 Scallions or Green Onions, white and pale green parts only, chopped into 1 inch (2,5cm) pieces
2 ounces (57g) mustard greens, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
2 walnut halves, coarsely chopped
a 1 inch (2.5cm) piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
a squeeze of lemon juice
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar

The technique is posted here... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34953-2012-harvest-cooking-with-stickman/#entry712143

I've been giving some thought to next year... I think I'll be concentrating on growing many more Kapija plants and fewer chile varieties, but more of each... probably King Nagas, Yellow 7-pots, MoA Scotch Bonnets, Jalapenos, Poblanos and SA Peri Peris. Maybe I'll throw in a couple Bahamian Goats too.

Have a good Monday evening all.

Thanks guys! :oops:

I spent the last half a day making a batch of Ajvar... I'd intended to make Mak Kimchi but some of the ripe Kapijas were starting to get flabby, so I made the Ajvar instead.

Roasting the Kapijas
SANY0003_zps7c9057b8.jpg

peeled, stemmed and seeded the peppers, then worked them up into a coarse puree in the food processor
SANY0004_zpsc12a5099.jpg

The next step was roasting the split eggplants under the broiler with a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil
SANY0005_zps0664cb29.jpg

scooped the pulp out of the eggplant skins and pureed that too, then added to the pepper puree with minced garlic, salt, white vinegar and a few grinds of black pepper, then slowly cooked it down until slightly reduced.
SANY0006_zps23b4dbda.jpg

Then packed into pint jars and processed in a hot water bath canner.    More sunshine in a jar for the winter... ;)
SANY0007_zpsc56eafeb.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, Rick. Gonna try that later when I got some more time on my hands again ;) The Ajvar looks good! I would recommend you try the B. Goat. One of the best tasting peppers in my experience. I'm also planning on scaling down a bit.

Rick your processing is on.... :onfire:

I agree with Stefan, if you haven't tried the Goat put that on your list. It's heat level is very tolerable with most people. Alongside with the Jamaican Bonnets the B.Goat is one of my favorite peppers ....taste wise

romy6 said:
 I second what RandyP said . I almost cancelled my membership and started another one to get my hands on some of that amazing blueberry sauce .  ;)
That is what i decided to get for my free sauce, i thought it looked really good and i'm sure it will be.

The Ajvar looks great Rick, how do you put it to use? (page bookmarked:)

I'll chime in on the B-Goat, right there with the MoA's in my book. And on the grow list for next year, they actually grow well here in the Tejas heat! We made jerk with them this weekend for a pork roast. ;)

Thanks for the input on the Bahamian Goat peppers folks! I'll give it a try next year and if it's comparable to the MoA Bonnets, I'll probably grow one or the other every year.

parker49 said:
That is what i decided to get for my free sauce, i thought it looked really good and i'm sure it will be.

I think you will Brad :) ... everybody who tried it liked it, including brother Jamie ;) . I got a call from my office requiring me to do a fill-in yesterday in addition to servicing my regular clients, so I never did get the SFRB in the mail before the Post Office closed, but it's boxed up and labeled, and I'll definitely get it in the post today.

Devv said:
The Ajvar looks great Rick, how do you put it to use? (page bookmarked:)

I'll chime in on the B-Goat, right there with the MoA's in my book. And on the grow list for next year, they actually grow well here in the Tejas heat! We made jerk with them this weekend for a pork roast. ;)

Very cool Scott! How did the Jerk marinade work out using the B-Goat peppers?

Traditionally, Ajvar is used as an accompaniment to grilled meats or sausages, as a sandwich spread, or even by itself if you like the flavor of roasted red bell peppers. My wife and I often use it instead of tomato sauce in pasta or on home-made pizza. Here's an examination of the process of making it that you might find helpful... http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/sauced-ajvar-serbian-roasted-red-pepper-sauce.html
Last year, DocNrock did a thread on making it that pretty much covered all the bases, though he roasted the peppers in the oven, and I prefer doing it on my charcoal barrel grill for the smoky flavor. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36298-ajvar/#entry742986

romy6 said:
 I second what RandyP said . I almost cancelled my membership and started another one to get my hands on some of that amazing blueberry sauce .  ;)

Heh... that's quite a recommendation brother Jamie... Drop me a pm if you need to top up. ;)

Back