• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Aji Lemons are some of the easiest/most prolific plants in my garden ... I have one this season I didn't even plant ... They grow like weeds if you let the pods drop into any adjoining pots ... Mine popped up in my mint ... Mints now gone and the Aji lemon looks great ;)
Things are going nicely Rick

Trippa said:
Aji Lemons are some of the easiest/most prolific plants in my garden ... I have one this season I didn't even plant ... They grow like weeds if you let the pods drop into any adjoining pots ... Mine popped up in my mint ... Mints now gone and the Aji lemon looks great ;)
Things are going nicely Rick
Thanks Trippa, I grew Baccatums for the first time last season and was impressed with how well they grew and produced this far north. Over the next few years I'll be trying new varieties to find what I like the taste of that grows well up here. The Criolla Sella did well here last year, but the Aji Omnicolors were Beasts!

This year's crop of Baccatums are doing well too... ATM I have 3 hooks each in the Aji Lemon and Dedo de Moca pots. Ramon's MoA seeds all popped up in a day... Those are gonna be vigorous growers!

Germination in round 2 at 12 days looks like this...

Aji Lemon.................. 3/5
Dedo de Moca........... 3/5
Scotch Bonnet MoA... 5/5
Brown Egg................. 0/5
Piri Piri....................... 0/5
Tobasco..................... 0/5

Happy Hump Day all!

Them seeds from Ramon germinated well for me too :) PeriPeri & Tabasco hey? Awesome! Love them both - difficult to decide. So similar and yet so totally different. Nice going Rick ;)

Just did a couple of taste tests. Phuli Jiyoti, Bahamian Goat and 7Pot Barrakpore. The last one was hot lol I feel like I have just gone two rounds with a Sumo wrestler lol

Decent rates Rick! Can't wait till the next round of pics. Also thanks for all the soil treatment advice in my glog... Going to follow it the best I can, though I do t think they'll let me jackhammer just this year heh.

PeriPeri said:
Just did a couple of taste tests. Phuli Jiyoti, Bahamian Goat and 7Pot Barrakpore. The last one was hot lol I feel like I have just gone two rounds with a Sumo wrestler lol

I used some Bahamian Goat peppers in a Jerk Marinade last year that came out pretty well. How did you like the Phuli Jiyoti? So the Barrakpore left you feeling kinda flat, eh? ;)

Devv said:
Nice starts Rick!

My Manzano's have the funky leaves and slow growth too, I wonder what's up?

MoA in a day? That seed was just waiting to get out of the baggie! I've had good luck with Ramon's seeds as well.

Have a great week!

I couldn't say what's up with the Manzanos... of the 5 seeds I planted, only 3 came up. One looks normal and the rest either look gnarly or failed to thrive. I'm still doing better than last year... I planted over 30 seeds then and got no viable seedlings. By comparison, 1 out of 5 seems very good.
SANY0738_zpsefc799e8.jpg

I suppose I should clarify, it actually took 12 days for the first MoA hook to show up, but the other 4 popped up within a day of that.
SANY0737_zps23f8b36c.jpg

Jeff H said:

+2 on great seeds from Ramon. All of the MOAs and white bhuts I planted have sprouted. Great germ rate.

maximumcapsicum said:
Decent rates Rick! Can't wait till the next round of pics. Also thanks for all the soil treatment advice in my glog... Going to follow it the best I can, though I do t think they'll let me jackhammer just this year heh.

Thanks guys! The pot of Brown Egg seeds sent up a hook today, so the Chinense peppers on my 2014 grow list are all represented now... just waiting on the last couple of Fruts... the Piri Piri and Tobasco.
SANY0742_zpsf60ddee2.jpg

SANY0740_zps12970fff.jpg

SANY0741_zps0a0c049f.jpg

A local nonprofit is having a Chili Cookoff next sunday as a fundraiser, and I've signed up for it. Cash flow right now is pretty tight, so I'm thinking Turkey chili with beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic, a little homemade Red Mole and some of my chili powder blend of Anchos, Anaheims, Pasillas and Chimayos. If it needs to be kicked up a notch or two I'll probably use a little of my Naga chile oil since it has the best flavor.

Just one more day and it's the weekend!

Rick, are you using the same monzano seed stock as last year?

I am and I had so so germination last year and this year is no different. Not great but acceptable. I have a new stock of red rocoto seeds and they are germinating better and growing stronger than the monzanos. Maybe your seeds are bad. 

stickman said:

I used some Bahamian Goat peppers in a Jerk Marinade last year that came out pretty well. How did you like the Phuli Jiyoti? So the Barrakpore left you feeling kinda flat, eh? ;)
lol that Barrakpore was just one pod of whipass! It was ok, but hey man that is one seriously hot 7Pot. Now the Phuli Jyoti is awesome. Its upfront flavour and incredibly long peppery burn are just delightful. An amazing plant in my opinion and very versatile to use. I recommend it.

Those seedling look super happy Rick... what's in the mix?

Best of luck in the Chilli Cookoff Stickman!

stickman said:
 I grew Baccatums for the first time last season and was impressed with how well they grew and produced this far north. Over the next few years I'll be trying new varieties to find what I like the taste of that grows well up here. The Criolla Sella did well here last year, but the Aji Omnicolors were Beasts!

Baccatums also do well for me in my not so warm or sunny climate. I really enjoyed Omnicolor as well last year, and it seemed to produce well outside. Criolla Sella was also a good producer for me in 2012. I can also recommend Aji Escabache, Aji Benito and my favorite flavour-wise (although not a huge producer) CAP267. I may have seeds of CAP267 if you want to try them for 2015.

Jeff H said:
Rick, are you using the same monzano seed stock as last year?

I am and I had so so germination last year and this year is no different. Not great but acceptable. I have a new stock of red rocoto seeds and they are germinating better and growing stronger than the monzanos. Maybe your seeds are bad. 

They certainly were bad last year Jeff. I sowed all the seeds I had at the time and got no seedlings. This year was much better.
maximumcapsicum said:
Glad to see you have everything up! The seedlings look fantastic. You gonna separate all of them out or snip the overflow?

Happy growing!

I'll keep the best 3 Adam, and snip the rest.
Pinoy83 said:
hooks every were....looking good.... :onfire:
Thanks brah... the onions started hooking this morning, so now I just need to hear from those Fruts... ;)
PeriPeri said:
lol that Barrakpore was just one pod of whipass! It was ok, but hey man that is one seriously hot 7Pot. Now the Phuli Jyoti is awesome. Its upfront flavour and incredibly long peppery burn are just delightful. An amazing plant in my opinion and very versatile to use. I recommend it.

Those seedling look super happy Rick... what's in the mix?

Thanks for sharing the flavor profile of the Indian peppers  Lourens, it's not one i know. The potting soil I put my seedlings in is just a general-purpose commercial mix called ProMix-BX  http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pro-mix-bx-mycorrhizae-growing-medium/
As a lot of people noted, having a mycorrhizae innoculation in the soil seems to make for happier and healthier plants. Rather than buy the fungus spores and do it myself, I buy this stuff which has it already added. Peat-based mixes are acidic, and this one is pre-buffered with dolomitic lime to a neutral pH. Quick and easy... :)
ronniedeb said:
Best of luck in the Chilli Cookoff Stickman!

Baccatums also do well for me in my not so warm or sunny climate. I really enjoyed Omnicolor as well last year, and it seemed to produce well outside. Criolla Sella was also a good producer for me in 2012. I can also recommend Aji Escabache, Aji Benito and my favorite flavour-wise (although not a huge producer) CAP267. I may have seeds of CAP267 if you want to try them for 2015.

I appreciate the offer Ronan... pm sent. From what I googled, it's supposed to be similar to Aji Cristal... have you tried both?

stickman said:

I appreciate the offer Ronan... pm sent. From what I googled, it's supposed to be similar to Aji Cristal... have you tried both?

Yes, I've read that. Not tried Aji Cristal yet. Seeds germinating at the moment though, so should be able to compare them in late summer.

Back