• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Can't remember what the actual species was... I know whenever I saw them they were actually pretty docile.

Colleagues have had all kinds of trouble with the cobras though.

stickman said:
This time I know it's a pepper... there's a hook in the Dedo de Moca pot!
Great flavoured chilli that one Rick ... And quite thick walled for its size/shape if I remember correctly... Nice work!

Trippa said:
Great flavoured chilli that one Rick ... And quite thick walled for its size/shape if I remember correctly... Nice work!

Thanks Trippa, I haven't a clue what to expect beyond size and shape, so your observation is welcome! Got another hook in the Dedo de Moca pot this morning so I moved it downstairs with the others.
SANY0727_zps3a87be31.jpg

Boy, we've been having some crazy weather the last couple of weeks and the trend looks to continue for a bit. Daytime highs are forecast to be in the upper 30s to upper 40s and night-time lows could be anywhere from the upper teens to upper 20s resulting in walking back and forth over the line between rain and snow for the next 5 days.

Happy Monday all!

stickman said:
Reading up on venomous African snakes I see the most venomous ones are further north, but it looks like the Cape Cobra and Green Mamba are quite venomous enough! Stay vigilant bro'...

I can see that bird brains might not be able to handle pepper pods in a wrapper... that would also be handy for isolating flowers to ensure they wouldn't cross-pollinate with other varieties.
We have Black Mambas on the farm where I am growing. The owner gets them in his farm house all the time, but luckily I have not come across one yet in the garden! The nearest hospital may as well be in the north pole lol

Good work, Rick - new seedlings just keep showing up in your grow!

I hope your better half is on the mend.  If she hit her head hard when
she fell, a checkup is a good idea.  Better not to take chances.

Devv said:
Congrats on the new babies Rick!

PaulG said:
Good work, Rick - new seedlings just keep showing up in your grow!

I hope your better half is on the mend.  If she hit her head hard when
she fell, a checkup is a good idea.  Better not to take chances.

Thanks Guys!

My wife is definitely on the mend... still a bit stiff and sore, but getting better daily.

PeriPeri said:
We have Black Mambas on the farm where I am growing. The owner gets them in his farm house all the time, but luckily I have not come across one yet in the garden! The nearest hospital may as well be in the north pole lol

Yikes! We have venomous snakes in our area, but they're pretty rare and their preferred habitat is a marginal one that doesn't attract too many people. You be careful out there bro'...
Looking in on my MoA babies this morning, I see 4 hooks. This one looks like a very vigorous grower!
SANY0728_zpsc43455b2.jpg

A couple of Dedo de Moca babies
SANY0729_zps4c7c12e8.jpg

Aji Lemon baby
SANY0730_zps889ed5d2.jpg

and the rest are growing slowly...
SANY0732_zps3b754927.jpg
SANY0731_zpsc440a483.jpg
SANY0733_zpsd77a8188.jpg
SANY0735_zpse271f6ea.jpg
SANY0734_zps48f788e2.jpg

The Manzanos seem to be having the most trouble. One seedling isn't damping off, but seems to be failing to thrive. Another is growing mis-shapen. This is the healthiest-looking one.
SANY0736_zps759e6bd6.jpg

Have a good Tuesday all!

Little ones are looking good Rick. You're system of using bigger pots and sowing more seeds looks like it will be easier to deal with splitting plants up vs my smaller pots.

Back