• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Yay new laptop!

Great branching on the Naga king. You got to keep track of how many pods you pull off that guy... Maybe a weight. Bet it's gonna be a killer producer.

How much fish emulsion do you use when you see the yellows? Were the top leaves yellowing or the bottom leaves? How do you sort out watering stress versus lack of nutes?

Sorry for the question barrage. Yellow leaves confuse me at times... They can point to so many different problems.

Keep on growin Rick!

maximumcapsicum said:
Yay new laptop!

Oh yeah... it's been an itch I couldn't scratch for 2 weeks, lol!

Great branching on the Naga king. You got to keep track of how many pods you pull off that guy... Maybe a weight. Bet it's gonna be a killer producer.

From your mouth to God's ear, eh? ;)

How much fish emulsion do you use when you see the yellows? Were the top leaves yellowing or the bottom leaves? How do you sort out watering stress versus lack of nutes?

You can see it in the pics... they're green enough at the bottom but very pale on top, with a chlorotic layer in between. I mixed a tablespoon of fish emulsion to a gallon of water for them since it was such an extreme case. Otherwise, I'd have used a teaspoon at this stage.
Thanks for the good vibe all! Still have some more configuring to do, and then it'll be time to catch up with some of your glogs. Cheers!

Glad to see you're back in the saddle Rick!

And I'm in agreement with the others, that Naga King is going to be a beast!

Keep it green!

Hey Rick, them babies are coming along great. Looking very healthy all of them. That Manzano and that Naga King will be killer for sure... I just can't wait to see it in the soil ;)

JJJessee said:
Good to see the picture-drought is over!
That Naga King Rulz!

S'right brother... if I don't kill it off when I plant outside it'll be kicking a-- and taking names! :twisted:

meatfreak said:
Great you got the laptop up and running. I can't believe your Pimenta Lisa is that dark, really cool. As far as I know your the only one with a plant that dark :) I see you've sown some Tomatillo's again :)

You know... if the blossom was in part self-pollinated, what I could have is 100% PDN.. the only thing that makes me wonder is the green tips on the cotys. We'll see later on down the road... :) Yup... got 2 tomatillo verde seedlings started. I'm hoping for another one or two as an insurance policy, but two's enough.

Devv said:
Glad to see you're back in the saddle Rick!

And I'm in agreement with the others, that Naga King is going to be a beast!

Keep it green!

You too bro'!

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick, them babies are coming along great. Looking very healthy all of them. That Manzano and that Naga King will be killer for sure... I just can't wait to see it in the soil ;)

You bet Lourens! I'm trying to cultivate patience... :whistle:

stickman said:

You know... if the blossom was in part self-pollinated, what I could have is 100% PDN.. the only thing that makes me wonder is the green tips on the cotys. We'll see later on down the road... :) Yup... got 2 tomatillo verde seedlings started. I'm hoping for another one or two as an insurance policy, but two's enough.

Don't think that's possible, Rick. This is an F-2, it would only be possible if they were F-1. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sure, yours could have/has a lot more PDN traits then I've seen so far which makes it very interesting. It only shows how unstable it is. I'm not gonna have Tomatillo's this year, decided not to plant so much this season because I first wanna do some jobs at the garden I still need to be doing. You know how it goes, if your garden is full you don't have time left for those. Another one as insurance would be wise but aren't they easy to take cuttings from? They grow like weeds so I imagine that would work out well.

meatfreak said:
Don't think that's possible, Rick. This is an F-2, it would only be possible if they were F-1. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sure, yours could have/has a lot more PDN traits then I've seen so far which makes it very interesting. It only shows how unstable it is. I'm not gonna have Tomatillo's this year, decided not to plant so much this season because I first wanna do some jobs at the garden I still need to be doing. You know how it goes, if your garden is full you don't have time left for those. Another one as insurance would be wise but aren't they easy to take cuttings from? They grow like weeds so I imagine that would work out well.

Oh yeah... you're right. Interesting how that seedling got more of the PDN genes in that shuffle and deal. I'm really curious to see how the pods come out.

They tell me that you need at least two of the tomatillos to pollinate each other, and I have at least that many hooked up, so I'm set as long as I don't lose one. I have no idea how well they'd propagate from cuttings... my plate's full this year, so that's a project for another time. Worst case... if I do lose one, I can probably find a seedling at a nursery later this spring.
Cheers!

Round two plants...
This Aji Lemon is a little dry
SANY1035_zps24a5f862.jpg

Dedo de Moca
SANY1036_zps9d18a24c.jpg

Guwahati Bhuts are starting to green up after changing the soil and giving them a shot of weak fish emulsion
SANY1034_zpsac96788e.jpg

MoA plants looking much better than a month ago.
SANY1040_zps3a71aa7a.jpg

BOC also got pretty yellow, and treated the same as the Guwahati Bhuts... they're also greening up.
SANY1039_zps0ac3aded.jpg

Douglah looking a bit yellow too, but its parent did for much of last year too.
SANY1041_zpse0ed5378.jpg

Lotah Bih
SANY1038_zpsf5faccc2.jpg

Butch T.
SANY1042_zps3da10d60.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY1043_zps15cf723f.jpg

and some herbs to transplant later.
SANY1048_zpsdcfb4a71.jpg

More pics of the Naga King and Manzano for a bump. TGIF!

Plants all look good Rick. Nice to see that monzano split so close to the ground. I just transplanted two of mine a couple days ago and they weren't split until about 6-7". I was hoping that they would have split lower like yours.

Hi Rick,

Nice looking plants, my friend! Interesting to see the leaf issue of the Douglah...I experienced leaf issues only with them...I believe they react quite differently on something, what can be easily tolerated by the other types.
That Naga is a beast. Are you planning to remove the lowest side branches and leaves? I always do, since I do not like the leaves/branches to be close to the ground, or touching it.

Balázs

Back