• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

SeanW said:
44 pages and not even in the dirt, yet? That's crazy!

Glad to see you survived the winter, we really got slammed here. The last of the snow cleared out of of my place a couple weeks ago, other than the dusting we got earlier this week. 

Love the idea with the flue tile, I've been thinking of trying horseradish and that stuff is impossible to get rid of. I'm actually using mint's invasiveness to my advantage, trying to choke out other weeds in a side garden (and I use a ton of mint, so..)

Hey, Sean's in the house! Glad you stopped by buddy! It sounds like the snow cleared out for both of us at about the same time... Are you planting a chile garden this year? If so, which varieties?

It's true, I'm back!

I just started my glog up, I'll be growing something or other this year, but it's going to be cut way back. We have a 7 week old baby now, and between getting ready for him and having him here things just did not happen. I'm just going to hit up the local nurseries and grab some stuff to grow, and work on getting the gardens built out a bit more and ready to roll for next year. I've also got some stuff on order to try a soilless coco/perlite plant or three, so we'll see how that goes. Nice and easy is the name of the game this year.

That snow was brutal, I think even through late March I had a 6 or 8 inch layer of snow in places that I could walk on without crunching through. Between the sand I laid down on my driveway, and the stuff the plows threw everywhere, I think I'm living on beach front property now. I just have to import some palm trees. But, the snows gone, the daffodils are blooming with the tulips close behind, and the garden's just about ready to start receiving plants - and that 70 degree weather we had the other day is a sign of what we've got coming to us. Time to get this show on the road, am I right?

Hey Rick-
What a bunch of Horse Shit!!!! :rofl:
Hah! I knew better than to view this without a full stomach......that nice sheen of oil on the chicken curry, is like the slight foam on fresh good coffee-a definite indicator of deliciousity :dance: . . I have a big bowl of Chicken Pho- vietnamese mints,cilantro, beautiful ripe red jalapenos, sprouts, REAL from a mason jar "little old lady" Nuoc mam etc...with a Texas twist, some very moist pulled pork, and some smoked 7Pot Brown powder. Paired with Leinenkugels Summer Shandy...with some Small Batch Legacy Canadian Whisky for dessert !

Good to see the enthusiasm cranked up, I 'm gonna borrow some to keep a full steam effort on treating my last batch for fungus gnats, and pray that the Green Hornets are big enough to pull through(they are still wee, with just the first set of real leaves)!

Okay, switching to Shiner Boch, and hopefully hit a few more glogs with the whisky...thanks for the tour
Have a good one-
DJ

SeanW said:
It's true, I'm back!

I just started my glog up, I'll be growing something or other this year, but it's going to be cut way back. We have a 7 week old baby now, and between getting ready for him and having him here things just did not happen. I'm just going to hit up the local nurseries and grab some stuff to grow, and work on getting the gardens built out a bit more and ready to roll for next year. I've also got some stuff on order to try a soilless coco/perlite plant or three, so we'll see how that goes. Nice and easy is the name of the game this year.

That snow was brutal, I think even through late March I had a 6 or 8 inch layer of snow in places that I could walk on without crunching through. Between the sand I laid down on my driveway, and the stuff the plows threw everywhere, I think I'm living on beach front property now. I just have to import some palm trees. But, the snows gone, the daffodils are blooming with the tulips close behind, and the garden's just about ready to start receiving plants - and that 70 degree weather we had the other day is a sign of what we've got coming to us. Time to get this show on the road, am I right?

Ah so...no wonder your glog kinda languished at the end of last year... you've been dancing attendance since about June, Congratulations! I hope your partner eats hot chiles so she can pass along the taste for them to your little guy... I've heard that doctors encourage mothers to eat a varied diet while nursing because the flavors of the foods she eats are passed along in the milk and later on the kids are less likely to become fussy eaters.

Definitely time to at least prep the planting beds here. Onions, root crops and early greens can go in now too, and I'll be doing all of that this weekend except for the onions... ;) Good luck with 2014 Sean, you're already off to a flying start!

She actually doesn't like spicy foods. I tend to add a bit of additional "seasoning" to a lot of the things that I eat, and save the fully spicy dishes for my lunches at work. We have to be careful what we eat, as some stuff can get transferred to him and his stomach does not like it. We avoid broccoli, I'm a night owl, but staying up until 4am with a screaming baby isn't exactly my idea of fun. I guess we'll see what happens.

I've got chives coming up that I forgot about, so I guess I've got a little bit of a garden started already :)

SeanW said:
She actually doesn't like spicy foods. I tend to add a bit of additional "seasoning" to a lot of the things that I eat, and save the fully spicy dishes for my lunches at work. We have to be careful what we eat, as some stuff can get transferred to him and his stomach does not like it. We avoid broccoli, I'm a night owl, but staying up until 4am with a screaming baby isn't exactly my idea of fun. I guess we'll see what happens.

I've got chives coming up that I forgot about, so I guess I've got a little bit of a garden started already :)

Oh well... Inshallah... I guess he'll have to avoid the Brassicas until he gets a little older and his gut can take them. Sorry your partner doesn't share your taste for heat... My Mom doesn't either, but my Dad and I used to sit down together when was a teenager and between us polish off a whole jar of pickled Pepperoncini peppers. We thought we were so bad at the time, but that kind of heat just doesn't register any more except as a sensation of mild warmth.

Chives are good... I go through a lot of Garlic Chives at a time. 2 years ago I planted a short row of them that was 6 inches wide by 4 feet long. They'd fully matured by last year, and I got about 6 quarts at each harvest. I clipped them at 4-week intervals and we would usually use them for Korean-style pancakes. I give them a 5-gallon bucket of compost every spring, water them well and cut off the flower stems before they get woody. That's about all the care they need.

gnslngr said:
Hey Rick-
What a bunch of Horse Shit!!!! :rofl:
Hah! I knew better than to view this without a full stomach......that nice sheen of oil on the chicken curry, is like the slight foam on fresh good coffee-a definite indicator of deliciousity :dance: . . I have a big bowl of Chicken Pho- vietnamese mints,cilantro, beautiful ripe red jalapenos, sprouts, REAL from a mason jar "little old lady" Nuoc mam etc...with a Texas twist, some very moist pulled pork, and some smoked 7Pot Brown powder. Paired with Leinenkugels Summer Shandy...with some Small Batch Legacy Canadian Whisky for dessert !

Good to see the enthusiasm cranked up, I 'm gonna borrow some to keep a full steam effort on treating my last batch for fungus gnats, and pray that the Green Hornets are big enough to pull through(they are still wee, with just the first set of real leaves)!

Okay, switching to Shiner Boch, and hopefully hit a few more glogs with the whisky...thanks for the tour
Have a good one-
DJ

Hi Dave... thanks for the good vibe and stopping by brother! I hope you get your traveling circus sorted out for the Fungus Gnat bastiges. I just had to spray my plants down cellar with pyrethrin 'cause they were getting a little thick here too. You definitely got it goin' on in the foodie department guy... I was a little bit jealous when I read your description last night... I drove out to my Mom's to visit with her, an Uncle and a couple of Aunts. One of my Aunts wanted to make clam chowder, but I think she used "rubberneck clams" the things were so tough... definitely overcooked. She meant well though. :confused:  My other Aunt by marriage is from Singapore, and she brought me back some seeds from a recent trip there. The commercial packet is a hybrid cayenne or red Thai type, but the collected seeds she calls Cili Padi... I gather that's an Indonesian name for  "Rat Turd" peppers... very cool, I've been wanting to grow them.
SANY1163_zps580ab008.jpg

Breakfast is done... time to get out to the garden! Have a great Easter weekend all!

HI Rick,

It is good to see how bushy plants you have there!  I just checked the polytunnel at my parents' garden, and discovered that they sowed the Nagykúti Almapaprika as well. (I believe you have it as well this year). She was saying that it is the most suitable version for stuffing, and you won't regret growing it. Good job with the plants, my friend!

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
HI Rick,

It is good to see how bushy plants you have there!  I just checked the polytunnel at my parents' garden, and discovered that they sowed the Nagykúti Almapaprika as well. (I believe you have it as well this year). She was saying that it is the most suitable version for stuffing, and you won't regret growing it. Good job with the plants, my friend!
Balázs

Thanks for the input Balázs... I can't wait to get those puppies in the ground so they can start growing! Do you have any recipes for stuffed Almapaprika? Would the brine from your Mom's pickling recipe be enough?

Got the garden spaded in today, and planted the early greens... Mache, Claytonia, Shungiku and Black Seed Simpson Lettuce. One of my neighbors bought too many Strawberry plants for a new bed, so I traded some spare Tomato plants for a half a dozen, and planted them along with the ones my Wife transplanted earlier this week.  Maybe next year we'll have enough to make a pie...

stickman said:

Thanks for the input Balázs... I can't wait to get those puppies in the ground so they can start growing! Do you have any recipes for stuffed Almapaprika? Would the brine from your Mom's pickling recipe be enough?

Got the garden spaded in today, and planted the early greens... Mache, Claytonia, Shungiku and Black Seed Simpson Lettuce. One of my neighbors bought too many Strawberry plants for a new bed, so I traded some spare Tomato plants for a half a dozen, and planted them along with the ones my Wife transplanted earlier this week.  Maybe next year we'll have enough to make a pie...

You can use the same recipe for the stuffed ones as well.  :P

stickman said:

Excellent! I'll probably stuff at least one jar's worth with chopped ham and feta cheese... when using shredded cabbage as a filling, is anything else added, or is it just straight cabbage?
Stuffing them with ham and feta sounds weird for me, but who knows.  :P
I am not sure if anything else is added to the cabbage...maybe whole cumin seeds. Let me ask my Mom first.  :)

HabaneroHead said:
Stuffing them with ham and feta sounds weird for me, but who knows.  :P
I am not sure if anything else is added to the cabbage...maybe whole cumin seeds. Let me ask my Mom first.  :)

I appreciate you asking your Mom Balázs, I definitely want to try some of those as well. Stuffing pickled peppers with ham and cheese is probably an Italian thing. When I was in High Shool, I used to get lunch sometimes at an Italian sandwich shop I liked, and they always had big jars of pickled eggs, sausages and cherry peppers stuffed with ham and cheese. I didn't care for the pickled sausages and eggs, but loved the stuffed, pickled peppers.  http://howtofood.net/2011/09/25/shooters-cherry-peppers-stuffed-with-prosciutto-provolone/

SeanW said:
I'd be curious if the cili padi are a different strain from the thai prik kee nu suon ("mouse turd") peppers. I grew them last year, they aren't a super, but it's amazing the kind of heat the little peppers can put out.

I'm pretty sure they're the same thing Sean... the Thai and Malay people are neighbors, and while they differ some in language and culture, they share many ingredients and cooking techniques.

SeanW said:
I'm still enjoying the powder from my prik's last year. The only bad part about them is the fact that you have to pick a million of them to get anywhere, but they grow about 30 million on a plant, so other than the time, it's not a big deal.

It's just as well I'm not growing them this year since I have 4 varieties of wilds already started. That'll be enough small chiles this time around... lol!

Happy Easter, Rick. Plants are looking good, the chinense have really short internodes and already budding up. Are you gonna let them flower or pinch them of till they are outside? After reading your post about the Cilantro I realized I've forgotten to sow mine, so seeds are going into the dirt right away ;)

Enjoying the updates Rick! I like the way you eat. Gonna try to incorporate some of your suggestions into the one meal or two I cook a week. Little lady is the gourmet chef around here. Luckily she is a fan of the supers.

Just reminded me I need to chop up some more fresh salsas... mangos and bhuts this time maybe.

Can't wait to see how the garden is coming along. Did you get all those amendments worked in to your satisfaction?

Oh and congrats SeanW!!! You're in for the ride of a lifetime.

Thanks for the holiday wishes all, and the same back atcha! My Wife and I spent the day out at my Mom's place. Mom's birthday was Friday, and my wife made a lamb cake with a boiled frosting covered with shredded coconut.
SANY1165_zps577749a7.jpg

I hope you all had a great day with family and friends!

meatfreak said:
Happy Easter, Rick. Plants are looking good, the chinense have really short internodes and already budding up. Are you gonna let them flower or pinch them of till they are outside? After reading your post about the Cilantro I realized I've forgotten to sow mine, so seeds are going into the dirt right away ;)

I'm definitely pinching them until plant-out Stefan, but letting the flowers grow out enough that I can pinch them without damaging the leaves at the nodes. I take it as a sign that they're ready to go out and play... :)

maximumcapsicum said:
Enjoying the updates Rick! I like the way you eat. Gonna try to incorporate some of your suggestions into the one meal or two I cook a week. Little lady is the gourmet chef around here. Luckily she is a fan of the supers.

Just reminded me I need to chop up some more fresh salsas... mangos and bhuts this time maybe.
s
Can't wait to see how the garden is coming along. Did you get all those amendments worked in to your satisfaction?

Oh and congrats SeanW!!! You're in for the ride of a lifetime.

Thanks Adam! I did get the garden turned over on Saturday... I still need to put down a bag of bone meal and the wood ashes, and adjust the pH in the square where I plant the Brassicas with some agricultural lime. When I get that all spaded in I'll be ready to plant the rest of the garden.

Back