• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

PaulG said:
Looks great, Rick; those air pots look like the real deal!

Glad to see you are getting some warm days!

You bet Paul! We're still waiting for (relatively) warm nights, but at least I can put the larger babies outside in the sun during the day. This time of year is always very gusty though, so I have to make sure the plants I put out there are properly hardened off to avoid torn leaves and snapped stems. One of the additional benefits of low row covers is protection from the wind while the plants get hardened off.

Devv said:
I like the black plastic on the soil! Get that ground warmed up!

You know, you kept telling me to use it, but I was stubborn because the ambient temps were so high. They were in the 70's and sometimes in the 80's. But I'm guessing the soil was still cold. I'm an old dog, but I can still learn new tricks ;)

It's all part of the learning curve bro... I'm still getting it together with things like low-pressure drip irrigation myself. Last year I set up an irrigation line to my potted peppers and herb garden behind the house, and I didn't include a flow regulator at the tap. The fittings were all spurting streams of water into the air and I had to use hose clamps at either end of the line to keep the water pressure from blowing them out. I only ran the water for 20 minutes twice a day so I didn't do anything about it then, but this year I got flow regulators for the line out back and in the one that'll be going in to the veggie garden next month too. The only downside of using this kind of irrigation system is that I can't add a fertilizer injector into the line... water only.
SANY1197_zpsb4195ca6.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Wow man Rick look at the roots of them boys! Cooowee buddy - them plants is going to be monsters. Their going to have to rename Greenfield to Chillifield, MA ;)

S'right my man... my aim is to make it so hot here that you can see the place from space. ;)
maximumcapsicum said:
Manzano and naga king are great looking plants, some of the best I've seen on the glogisphere this year. You are a master man.

Monzanos take awhile to pod up no?

Thanks for the good vibe Adam. :)

Yup, Manzanos are fairly slow growers that come from the equatorial highlands which are cooler due to the elevation, but get lots of sun and relatively even temperatures year-round. Last year it took my Manzano until June to set pods and Late August for them to ripen. The Chinense varieties were quicker for sure.

It's raining here this morning, which we need, but I hope it lets up this afternoon so I can work in the garden.

Have a great weekend all!

Dirt Day is getting closer 
Good to see some air-pot out and sitting on your landing strip.
We got a few good showers yesterday as well, still below normal for April I think.

Where did you find that regulator?
I've always had pressure problem on my drip-irrigation, but I recently found an old copper pressure regulator I'd misplaced for 20 years. Maybe I can get by with just one, but I may end up with multiple feeds from my tank.

JJJessee said:
Dirt Day is getting closer 
Good to see some air-pot out and sitting on your landing strip.
We got a few good showers yesterday as well, still below normal for April I think.

Where did you find that regulator?
I've always had pressure problem on my drip-irrigation, but I recently found an old copper pressure regulator I'd misplaced for 20 years. Maybe I can get by with just one, but I may end up with multiple feeds from my tank.

I ordered them from the RainDrip website. My local source for drip irrigation hardware carries their stuff, but since they order from a re-seller, they don't have the anti-siphon or regulator fittings. Quite the oversight... :rolleyes:    http://www.raindrip.com/accessories/flow-control

Hey, Rick!  Are you using a high pressure system?  My drip runs on 25 psi through use of
a pressure reducer in the irrigation line.  No problems with blowing off fittings.  My main
problem is finding 1/4" soaker hose that is porous enough to water an 18 gallon pot in a
decent amount of time.  I have six zones, and I don't want to have to run each for a half
hour to get things watered.  Maybe if I run it on high pressure, they would water faster or
blow apart   :rofl:

PaulG said:
Hey, Rick!  Are you using a high pressure system?  My drip runs on 25 psi through use of
a pressure reducer in the irrigation line.  No problems with blowing off fittings.  My main
problem is finding 1/4" soaker hose that is porous enough to water an 18 gallon pot in a
decent amount of time.  I have six zones, and I don't want to have to run each for a half
hour to get things watered.  Maybe if I run it on high pressure, they would water faster or
blow apart   :rofl:

Hi Paul!
   It wasn't a high-pressure system intentionally I assure you... lol! The pipes in our house are running at least 35 p.s.i. and that was what I was asking the system to handle last year. The new flow restrictors should lower it to at least 8 p.s.i. I think I'm going to end up with 5 zones in my veggie garden when the water line goes in, and I'll put the guts of the system below the surface in a lockable valve box.

Good news from the garden too... the transplanted Onions and OW Scallions are all growing well, and the first of my early greens are coming up. I planted Claytonia, Mache, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce and an edible Chrysanthemum called Shungiku and the Shungiku is the first to sprout.

PaulG said:
+1 Scott!  I thought I was doing well to have my 12 measly kale plants in the ground!

You're not going to stop at 12 Kale plants are you Paul? ;)  Hey, it's all good! I'm glad to finally begin to get the veggie garden underway, but like most of you, I'll be happier when I can get everything in the ground... :)

Boy, the Annuums are getting big fast now that it's warmed up down cellar.

Goat's Weed
SANY1199_zpsa4d66a71.jpg

Orange Thai
SANY1204_zps9bcf3f41.jpg

Takanotsume
SANY1208_zps77d0b7be.jpg

Chintexle
SANY1205_zps1bd2d7b4.jpg

Shane's Texas Pequin
SANY1207_zps065af52d.jpg

Dilley Street Tamwork
SANY1206_zps10be560e.jpg

The "strippers", like this Donne Sali are leafing out strongly at the axillary nodes.
SANY1212_zpsfd564878.jpg

A shot of the purple pheno Pimenta Lisa for you Stefan... it's starting to lose some of its dark purple in the leaves and becoming more green.
SANY1202_zps6f876166.jpg

MoA plants are keeping their very leafy habit, but have doubled in size since I up-potted
SANY1211_zps2a043312.jpg

And the BOC is flowering like mad... I'm gonna have to pinch them back today.  :D
SANY1209_zps464387a9.jpg

We got too much rain between yesterday and last night to go out and get a load of compost... it'd be too wet and swollen (not to mention heavy) to deal with, so I'll let it dry out first and get it at mid-week. I did shovel out the chicken coop of a neighbor yesterday, and ;mixed it in with the straw mulch we took off of the flower bed. That aughta light the pile ASAP.

Hope everybody's having a great weekend digging in the dirt!

Pretty gorgeous plants, Rick! Those Goat's Weed are killin' me: tall children! (And seem on verge of wilt sooner than others but could be me.)

Yeah, buddy: those MoA's BUSH! Seriously, can pick up a pot and know which are MoA's by that growth habit. Think the seeds from Steve are going to produce shorter plants than other bonnets . . . no clue at this point; and love the flowering on BOC!

Hope it warms for you soon to get the children in ground!

Looking pretty upscale, Rick!  Is the propane torch for torturing the plants
when they don't perform up to expectations?  It's presence alone is probably
enough to make them look as good as they do!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Dude we need to bump so we can see more awesome photos

Just a heads up. Pinoy83 grew the MoA seeds I got from steve954. These are Steve seeds and not my grow. Wicked shape and texture. Notice the lobes hope yours continue to grow true. And yes. They are bushy

Hey DeNNiZ... thanks for stopping by and the good vibe buddy!

I got my MoA seeds from Ramon, and I don't think his looked quite as "pimply" as the ones in your pic. It'll be interesting to see how they come out... Gonna be some Jerk when dey ripen mon! :drooling:

Devv said:
Looking good Rick!

Those gals are ready for some prime time!

You bet Scott... to borrow my Dad's turn of phrase, just hitting puberty and hot as a two dollar pistol! :rofl: The extended forecast gives a little hope for plant-out this coming weekend as the next few nights are supposed to get progressively warmer, and Wednesday night will only get down to the mid-40s. If that holds true through the weekend and the next 4 days after that, I'll definitely get them planted on Saturday.

annie57 said:
Pretty gorgeous plants, Rick! Those Goat's Weed are killin' me: tall children! (And seem on verge of wilt sooner than others but could be me.)

Yeah, buddy: those MoA's BUSH! Seriously, can pick up a pot and know which are MoA's by that growth habit. Think the seeds from Steve are going to produce shorter plants than other bonnets . . . no clue at this point; and love the flowering on BOC!

Hope it warms for you soon to get the children in ground!

Thanks for the heads-up on the MoAs miz Annie... :)    I don't mind if they have a short habit as long as they're prolific. Shane got me set on the Goat's Weed last year... it's another variety I haven't grown before but looking forward to it... it's such a pretty plant, and has good heat for an Annuum from all accounts. I'll probably dry most of them for powder, but want to pickle some too... gotta have some of that escabeche for the winter... :drooling:

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow you're strippers look phenomenal. Secondary growth is beating out some of the ones I have outside! Great job man.

Cheers Adam... your babies are already used to being outside... It'll be my turn to catch up soon enough... ;)

PaulG said:
Looking pretty upscale, Rick!  Is the propane torch for torturing the plants
when they don't perform up to expectations?  It's presence alone is probably
enough to make them look as good as they do!

I haven't actually made any overt threats Paul, but they sure seem eager to get outside don't they... :twisted:  

Well Rick, I see that y'all are hovering around in the 60's and hopefully you're not going to take another turn in the downward direction. This has been one really odd winter! Plants are looking great though and we're praying that everyone gets to plant out soon.

I'm really liking those MOA's :)

Rick,

Regarding the MoA's, my take on them is they don't like the cold. Adam made a comment, and the more I think of it the more it rings true. He mentioned the Habs slowed down the most. Same here, AND the MoA's. The supers have picked back up, still waiting for the mid-range heat level plants to kick in. And last summer the Habs set fruit all summer long, regardless of the temps. So heat lovers they seem to be.

Don't know if you'll experience that, but just throwing out mine ;)

Them leaves are a dropping my side of the big pond for sure. White haba first of the habas to go. TS Long tail first scorpion to go. Serrano & Korean first of the Annuums... Bhuts (not Naga Kings)... and Nagalahs first of the supers to loose them leaves in my experience. My only surviving MoA is inside and snug and looking happy. Long may it reign as I need them pods to change colour :)

Spicegeist said:

Oh yeah, now you're talking!

:dance:

It looks great, nice job...

Thanks Charles! Question... are the wilds usually about half the size of the other Annuums at first? That seems to be the pattern here, but they're beginning to stretch.
RocketMan said:
Well Rick, I see that y'all are hovering around in the 60's and hopefully you're not going to take another turn in the downward direction. This has been one really odd winter! Plants are looking great though and we're praying that everyone gets to plant out soon.

I'm really liking those MOA's :)

Thanks Bill, upper 50s and 60s are usual here for this time of year, but the real limiting factor is the overnight lows. They're starting to look up though...  most nights in the extended forecast are in the 40s, which is my plant-out target. We're supposed to get a couple of days of rain though, so I think I'll wait for that to water the garden well and then check the extended forecast again. If it looks like this I'll spade in the amendments and plant the Nightshades.
4_29_zpsb5e48985.png

Jeff H said:
Plants are all looking strong and healthy Rick. Keep up the good work. Plant out day is right around the corner.

Devv said:
Rick,

Regarding the MoA's, my take on them is they don't like the cold. Adam made a comment, and the more I think of it the more it rings true. He mentioned the Habs slowed down the most. Same here, AND the MoA's. The supers have picked back up, still waiting for the mid-range heat level plants to kick in. And last summer the Habs set fruit all summer long, regardless of the temps. So heat lovers they seem to be.

Don't know if you'll experience that, but just throwing out mine ;)

Thanks guys! The chiles that don't like to be cold is why I use the IRT mulch/low row cover method... Even on cloudy days it boosts the temperatures under the cover up into the 80s. On sunny days I have to open up the ends to vent excess heat, and it still gets into the upper 90s.
PeriPeri said:
Them leaves are a dropping my side of the big pond for sure. White haba first of the habas to go. TS Long tail first scorpion to go. Serrano & Korean first of the Annuums... Bhuts (not Naga Kings)... and Nagalahs first of the supers to loose them leaves in my experience. My only surviving MoA is inside and snug and looking happy. Long may it reign as I need them pods to change colour :)

Autumn is such a bittersweet time... Things are starting to die back as the weather cools, and in your case, to dry up as well... reminding us that nothing in life is permanent. It feels good to take a break from the garden though, and satisfying to deal with storing and processing the harvest. Thanks for handing back the sun... we'll take it gladly, and give it back when it's your turn again. :)

Good job on the MoAs this year... how did you like them? I've opened negotiations with my wife to keep a space in front of the south-facing sliding glass door for one of my chiles this coming winter. ATM I'm thinking of one of the Manzanos, but if I really like the taste of one of the other varieties, I may OW that one instead.

Back