• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Devv said:
I'm stoked for you Rick!

I know how much today means for you, woot!

And double WOOT, WOOT!

Thanks Scott! I really am chuffed! Just have to stay the course and keep a weather eye on the weather... :P

PaulG said:
Hey Rick, your next year's garden looks great   :rofl:

Congrats on getting everything in.  
I've still got 2-3 days worth of planting left,
but it feels good to get some things in the big
containers.

Thanks Paul! It feels good to finally have the kids outside where they can play...

OCD Chilehead said:
Right on Rick. Congratulations getting plants in the ground. That is a awesome feeling. Thanks for the cool pics and you enjoy the rest of your weekend to.

You too Chuck, you're time's coming!

JJJessee said:
^5 on the plant-out! 
Everything will step into high gear here in a few days. 
Great shot of the chinense under the row cover.

Thanks JJJ! Just have to get the drip irrigation set up out back. The 1/2 inch feed line is in place, I just have to pick up enough emitters and drippers to get the job done in the raised bed. Looking at how much it was gonna cost to set it up in the veggie garden, it would have pushed the garden budget too far off kilter this year, so I'm going with the same setup as last year... 1/2 liter water bottles mostly buried between every 2 pepper plants, and I'll fill the bottles with water and let it slowly seep into the soil at root level. My wife's place of work is hosting a half Marathon today, and they're gonna save us a 30 gal. bag of empty water bottles.

Got the framework set up for the low row cover this morning... Overnight temperatures are currently warm enough that I don't need to fasten the plastic over the frame just yet, but I will tonight. Let 'em get all the sun they can until then. :)
SANY1258_zps56592c9a.jpg

Some of the players in their final home...

Serrano Tampiqueno
SANY1260_zps5f7832aa.jpg

Chimayo
SANY1261_zpsb4528e85.jpg

Jalapeno Coyame
SANY1265_zps90988a6c.jpg

Chintexle from Spicegeist
SANY1262_zps6d5eb1e8.jpg

Improved Espanola Anaheim
SANY1263_zps025c6deb.jpg

Jalapeno Ciclon from Meatfreak
SANY1267_zps3a2b70b6.jpg

Sang Cho Korean from BootsieB
SANY1264_zps32d166f4.jpg

Thai Orange
SANY1269_zpse6b1d3b7.jpg

Poblano Gigantea
SANY1268_zpsd10e340c.jpg

... and that's 10. We're off to take my Mom out to lunch for Mother's Day... Hope it's a good one for all you Mothers out there. Cheers!

Thanks for the good vibe folks!

Had a great day out with my Mlom... now more pics from this morning.
Texas Pequin from stc3248
SANY1266_zps75a156a4.jpg

Piri Piri from the THP member of the same username
SANY1271_zps7d6bac89.jpg

Cascabel
SANY1273_zpsc6da6fc9.jpg

Dilley Street Tamwork pequin-type from cmpman1974
SANY1275_zpsab15a31e.jpg

A different Pequin from Smokemaster
SANY1276_zpsc87a5c48.jpg

Thai Red
SANY1272_zpse7f06f60.jpg

Takanotsume from Devv
SANY1274_zps1c8427a7.jpg

Hot Wax pepper from Habanerohead in Hungary. Balazs tells me in his country they call them "pointed hot" peppers. This hybrid variety is called "Rapires"
SANY1277_zps6b40eeff.jpg

Dedo de Moca
SANY1279_zps35201aed.jpg

Aji Lemon
SANY1278_zps2f831482.jpg

That's another 10... have a great week all!

Spicegeist said:
Some nice variety going in there...

Thanks Charles! It's all because of the folks on THP... wouldn't happen otherwise. :)

Another round of pics, and 8 more after a bump.

Another Hot Wax pepper from a different Hungarian source
SANY1280_zps3b702e21.jpg

Almapaprika "Nagykuti" from HabaneroHead
SANY1281_zpsbd770e85.jpg

Pritamin pepper "Alexander" from HabaneroHead
SANY1282_zps3dcbd8e8.jpg

Lotah Bih from Spicegeist
SANY1270_zpsd4259d81.jpg

Donne Sali
SANY1283_zpsafb19bc6.jpg

MoA from WalkGood seeds... these gals are gonna be monsters, and ready to blossom soon! I have 3 of them, all about this size in 5 gal. airpots.
SANY1247-Copy_zps2bf206a2.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY1248-Copy_zpse696ccd9.jpg

Butch T.
SANY1249-Copy_zps452a9b97.jpg

Naga King also ready to blossom soon
SANY1250-Copy_zpsf9f0d976.jpg

Bhut Orange Copenhagen... both about this size and blossoming already
SANY1252-Copy_zps36d629e7.jpg

stickman said:

I don't know enough about it to make a suggestion, but would it be possible to add the garden to your sprinkler loop?

The sprinklers actually catch the garden to some degree, but I'm hoping to water the lawn longer, less often, which isn't ideal for plants. My wife did remind me that we bought a sprinkler to use with a hose a while back, silly me! 

Jeff H said:
Looking good Rick.

Thanks Jeff! Pics to follow...

SeanW said:

The sprinklers actually catch the garden to some degree, but I'm hoping to water the lawn longer, less often, which isn't ideal for plants. My wife did remind me that we bought a sprinkler to use with a hose a while back, silly me! 

Heh... you must have a basement like Fibber McGee's closet... me too :rolleyes: ...

...and the rest of the pics from yesterday morning's dawn patrol...

Guwahati Bhut
SANY1251_zps20d980f5.jpg

OW Douglah... still got green stems, so I hope it'll put out new leaves now that things have warmed up again and it's in the sun full-time.
SANY1254_zpsf960ec53.jpg

Douglah from this year's seed
SANY1253_zpse12968ea.jpg

Pimenta Lisa... purple pheno
SANY1255_zps128e9668.jpg

Pimenta Lisa... green pheno
SANY1257_zpsf6df2039.jpg

Oops... some of the pics were multiples... that's all folks. Have a stellar week!

meatfreak said:
:woohoo: Dirt day, Rick :D

Plot is looking great, as does the plants. I like the stems of your plants, really thick already!

Thanks Stefan! I'm working towards getting the various pepper plots dialed in... after work today I hooked up the drip setup for the chiles in the raised bed out back and the 3 potted Scotch Bonnet MoAs. When she gets back from work, my wife should be bringing me a big bag of empty half liter water bottles that I bury upside down next to each plant. I cut the bottoms off of the bottles first and bury them with only an inch showing above ground. The idea is to fill each bottle and let the water perk into the soil at root level. It worked well for me last year, and since I've ruled out drip irrigation for the garden this year, that's the system I'm going with.
  Cheers all!

Devv said:
Looking really good Rick!

I wish you continued success!

How often do you water using those inverted bottles?

Have a great week!
 I put each water bottle between 2 plants so they each get 2 cups when I water. We usually get enough rain that I only water once a day, though if it's really dry, I water twice.
SANY1308_zps61494263.jpg

My wife brought home a 30 gal. trash bag of empty water bottles from work, and I set about half of them around the chiles, tomatoes and eggplants... just finished as it got dark. The unused portion I'll give to a gardener I know that wants to try this method in her own patch.

All of the Hungarians are blossoming, so it won't be long before we've got pods there. Some of the other Annuums are blossoming too.

Jalapenos are all in bloom
SANY1310_zps20f93c52.jpg

Improved Espanola Anaheim
SANY1311_zps21736c91.jpg

Chimayo
SANY1312_zps978dac0c.jpg

Piri Piri
SANY1309_zpse3bddc7b.jpg

The Bhut Orange Copenhagens are dropping blossoms, but when it warms up some more I'm sure they'll start sticking.
SANY1317_zpsd89558f0.jpg

I did a little judicious pruning on the Manzanos. I pinched off the dead and dying leaves on the seedling and cut off the dead wood on the OW.
SANY1319_zps0d6fe9f1.jpg

SANY1318_zps38e53991.jpg

Tomatoes are in their places
SANY1314_zps66fe874f.jpg

and the Tansy is in next to where the cukes are going when it warms up a little more.
SANY1316_zps428ab7cd.jpg

Have a great Tuesday all!

"When it warms up" I take it your weather is a bit cooler than mine? Mid 80s on Sunday, almost hit 90 yesterday. Lows in the high 50s for the rest of the week, though it doesn't look like the days will be as warm.

SeanW said:
"When it warms up" I take it your weather is a bit cooler than mine? Mid 80s on Sunday, almost hit 90 yesterday. Lows in the high 50s for the rest of the week, though it doesn't look like the days will be as warm.

We're close to what you're having for weather Sean, but the differences are mostly due to altitude I think. Tonight's supposed to get down into the mid 40s, but the rest of the week should be in the 50s. If that trend holds for the extended forecast this weekend, I'll take down the low row cover and stake up my chiles. :)

Wow Rick, that is incredible buddy - awesome work there. Such a smooth operator - you make it look like child's play my friend. Peri Peri is looking mighty fine and set to just thrive from here. Naga is looking nice and bushy... but definitely will want to go skywards. Hell all your plants are looking splendid - man you going to be rolling in chillies!

It looks like the plants don't mind the plant out at all, they look great. Had some leaf drop over here, which was probably caused by humidity to low I suspect. Are those the Datterini, Rick? :) Mine are setting fruit already I noticed today.

Back