• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

meatfreak said:
Look great, Rick :) Think our eggplants are on the same page when it comes to size and starting to make buds. I knew they are slow growers but next year I start earlier. Noticed a couple over here starting to make buds.

Nice Stefan :)  They're not quite budding here yet, but started pushing out the side branching last week. By this weekend or next I should start seeing flowers on the Eggplants! :dance:  I love the creaminess of the Italian varieties for mezze, Parmagiana and rollatini. The Thai egggplants are firmer in texture and don't disappear into the sauce when added to Asian vegetable curries.. it's all good!

JJJessee said:
That slaw looks awesome!
Gotta try that.
Peppers lookin' fine.

It sure is JJJ. :drooling: If you're interested, I'll pm a recipe.

maximumcapsicum said:
Hoping you get that midsummer growth spurt then! 

Thanks to all for the good vibe... I think it's working!

stickman said:

Nice Stefan :)  They're not quite budding here yet, but started pushing out the side branching last week. By this weekend or next I should start seeing flowers on the Eggplants! :dance:  I love the creaminess of the Italian varieties for mezze, Parmagiana and rollatini. The Thai egggplants are firmer in texture and don't disappear into the sauce when added to Asian vegetable curries.. it's all good!

It sure is JJJ. :drooling: If you're interested, I'll pm a recipe.

Thanks to all for the good vibe... I think it's working!

Nice, Rick. What do you do with the side branching, do you leave or remove it till some point? I removed them since the branches otherwise will hit the ground once they grow bigger. Once the plant forks I leave the side branches.

stickman said:

OW Douglah
SANY1477_zps856f57b9.jpg

\

I had a couple pages to catch up on since I was out of town. Chicken looks awesome. I can taste the jerk seasoning from here.

Plants look good too. The pic I quoted above was the one that surprised me the most. I saw that and said: Holy crap, that thing actually survived. I didn't give it much of a chance at all.

Green thumb Rick strikes again.

meatfreak said:

Nice, Rick. What do you do with the side branching, do you leave or remove it till some point? I removed them since the branches otherwise will hit the ground once they grow bigger. Once the plant forks I leave the side branches.

With the plastic mulch down I don't worry as much about rot on fruit that touch the ground Stefan. So I just leave the side branches alone. I figure more leaves means a bigger plant and more fruit. :)

Have a great Thursday all!

Jeff H said:

I had a couple pages to catch up on since I was out of town. Chicken looks awesome. I can taste the jerk seasoning from here.

Plants look good too. The pic I quoted above was the one that surprised me the most. I saw that and said: Holy crap, that thing actually survived. I didn't give it much of a chance at all.

Green thumb Rick strikes again.

Thanks Jeff... it came back a lot slower than I would have liked, but with the weather being what it's been, I suppose it just had to wait for more favorable conditions. I'm gonna OW just one Manzano plant this winter, and this time I'm gonna keep it upstairs where it's warm! My hope is that if it has leaves on at plant-out, it'll get bigger quicker. We'll just have to see if reality meets up with my expectations... ;)

The row cover fabric over the Chinense chiles seems to be having a good effect on the plants inside. There's new growth on all of them.

Purple pheno Pimenta Lisa
SANY1494_zps4c94817b.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY1499_zpsb9941022.jpg

BOC
SANY1495_zps949c2157.jpg

First flower on the Douglah seedling
SANY1496_zpsac4089fb.jpg

Butch T.
SANY1500_zpsf3b1ba4d.jpg

The Annuums in the veggie garden are moving along too...

Cascabel nearly ready to flower
SANY1505_zps72b298a6.jpg

... and the Smokemaster Pequin
SANY1502_zps765f427f.jpg

It looks like I have two different phenotypes for the Chintexle... one is skinnier and the other more stocky. The skinny one is budding out, but the husky one looks like it'll end up bigger in the long run.
SANY1519_zps18dd186c.jpg

SANY1520_zps6b67a73c.jpg

There's new growth on the Fruts too!

Donne Sali is budding and growing up a bit
SANY1514_zps12ad5665.jpg

That's 10... more later. Have a great Thursday all!

meatfreak said:
Great update again, Rick! Curious about the pods that you will get on that really dark plant :) Have a great weekend!

Devv said:
Very nice Rick!

I see nice healthy plants, a really big improvement over the last few weeks. It's their time to kick into high gear!

Wishing you continued success!

Thanks for the good vibe guys!  this weekend is supposed to get back up into the mid 80s with lots of sun, and hopefully it stays that way for a while. :)

It's a little too soon to tell Stefan, but I think the purple pheno Pimenta Lisa is starting to put out flower buds. The plant's only about 10cm tall, so I'll probably pinch the flowers until it grows a leaf canopy big enough to support pod production... soon I hope. Things are really beginning to move with the OW Manzano now... it's grown out at pretty much every node and started working on flower buds today.
SANY1526_zps8f8979fc.jpg

SANY1523_zps375aeb96.jpg

The OW Douglah continues to grow out new leaves... Though mostly just on one side.  I hope it does as well as the Manzano in the long run.
SANY1525_zps5d7b4e18.jpg

Cheers all!

OCD Chilehead said:
OWs looking great Rick. I'm going to give OW a try again at the end of the year. They say you have better production second year around. Thanks again and have a great Friday.

I sure hope so Chuck! This was the Manzano last year...
SANY0291_zpsf0abe19d.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
The OWs are looking great man. The douglah is gonna get huge. Was it a productive plant  in 2013?

It was last year Adam, and again, I hope it will be this year. This pic was taken in September after I picked off most of the ripe pods. I think I got almost a kilo from it.
SANY0235_zpsf7cb22f0.jpg

TGIF all and Happy Friday the 13th... :cool:

maximumcapsicum said:
That's very cool Rick. It'll be interesting if they match their sizes last year. Love those airpots... haven't found a good local source around here so I've been using root pouches.

I'm definitely sold on Airpots! Air-pruning pots made of synthetic felt work about as well, and are cheaper, but with proper care the Airpots will last your lifetime. If you can't find a local source, you can mail-order them here... http://www.growers-inc.com/air-pots.html

Hi Rick,

Amazing progress, my friend!
It is also good to see how the Douglah looked like last year, so I can see what I can expect from my plants this year. :P
I can't wait to see your plants producing. (not only the Hungarians :P )
Continued success, Rick!

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

Amazing progress, my friend!
It is also good to see how the Douglah looked like last year, so I can see what I can expect from my plants this year. :P
I can't wait to see your plants producing. (not only the Hungarians :P )
Continued success, Rick!

Balázs

Thanks Balázs! I'll try not to disappoint... ;)

Walked dawn patrol this morning and took some pics of the wilds...

Finally got a decent shot of the DST...
SANY1527_zps6435b466.jpg

Smokemaster's Pequin beginning production
SANY1528_zpsaeaff6a4.jpg

Shane's Texas Pequin almost ready to start blossoming
SANY1533_zpsb5189493.jpg

The skinny Chintexle is beginning to blossom too. I think the husky one should be coming along in another few days.
SANY1534_zps32137ade.jpg

Dedo de Moca starting to kick over
SANY1536_zpsc62c7f7d.jpg

... and another one of the Hungarians... Pritamin
SANY1535_zps18ec92f5.jpg

This is the largest of the Poblanos. The others are a bit smaller, but all are blossoming. This one set a couple of pods already.
SANY1532_zps3d3dfc15.jpg

Goat's Weed getting tall and beginning to put out side branches
SANY1531_zpsf7388ad1.jpg

The larger Peri Peri is kicking out flowers and pods like a machine!
SANY1530_zps0effa28e.jpg

... and the second Peri Peri is just beginning to blossom out too.
SANY1529_zpsf902f48f.jpg

That's 10... gotta go to work for half a day now. More later. Have a great Sunday all!

Back