• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

stc3248 said:
Mmmmm....mmmmm....Jerk chicken!!! Pods are moving right along Rick! Did I read your thermometer right??? Like 110-115ish?

S'right Shane... that's what you can get with IRT mulch underneath and mid-grade row cover fabric on top this time of year. I'm trying to jump-start the long-season chiles that have been languishing in the cool temperatures this season. Seeing it get that hot inside the enclosure on a sunny  day, I'm gonna have to vent it somewhat around 11:00 and button up again around 5 or 6pm. Cloudy/rainy days I'll leave it buttoned up.
PeriPeri said:
Right on - I bet that hit the spot after hard work in the garden ;)

You bet bro'...  :)  :)   and the best part is enough leftovers for 2 more meals. :party:

Nice to see your plants doing well Rick.
Good to see you have a takanotsume too. Great flavour!
I have one too. Admittedly I cheated by buying one. And they sold it with 8 or 9 individual seedlings in a pot. Hence it looks like a privet bush rather than a chilli.
L5ngS5f.jpg

georgej said:
Nice to see your plants doing well Rick.
Good to see you have a takanotsume too. Great flavour!
I have one too. Admittedly I cheated by buying one. And they sold it with 8 or 9 individual seedlings in a pot. Hence it looks like a privet bush rather than a chilli.

Thanks G! :)  Most of my Annuums are beginning to blossom now, or at least put out the beginnings of flower buds. I only have 3 flowers out on my Takanotsume ATM, but as bushy as it is with side branches, I can tell it's gonna be a big producer. How are they mostly used in Japan? Do they make sauce with them or dry them to preserve the harvest?

The row cover seems to be doing its job... I'm seeing new growth on all the plants underneath, like this BOC
SANY1478_zps7817826d.jpg

The OW Manzano
SANY1479_zps42a3a7bc.jpg

OW Douglah
SANY1477_zps856f57b9.jpg

...and I think the King Naga may finally have set pods for real since they dropped their skirts and the stems on the bygone flowers are staying green. Fingers crossed anyways...
SANY1476_zps1450dbef.jpg

The MoAs are all putting out 4-6 new blossoms every day... I'm hoping some will stick soon.
SANY1480_zps51de6a18.jpg

Sang Cho is budding now
SANY1482_zps10b80c0e.jpg

and there are new flowers on the Goat's Weed
SANY1481_zps02194e23.jpg

DST is starting to get some color from the sun.
SANY1485_zps9e79f48e.jpg

This was supposed to be an Espanola Improved Anaheim, but looks like a Cayenne-type instead... maybe even a Jwala.
SANY1483_zps378212f0.jpg

I think it's gonna be a banner year for my Almapaprikas! I have a total of 6 plants, and they all look like this... about a foot tall with 2-4 pods started and more flower buds coming in every day.
SANY1484_zpse8d2dd70.jpg

That's 10... have a great Monday all!

Thanks for the pics. Still kicking myself in the butt for not growing the. Takanotsume's again this year. Tons of peppers that face upright just begging to be picked. I cooked with them fresh and also dried and made chili paste and chili oil with them.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the pics. Still kicking myself in the butt for not growing the. Takanotsume's again this year. Tons of peppers that face upright just begging to be picked. I cooked with them fresh and also dried and made chili paste and chili oil with them.
Takanatsume also makes awesome powder when ripe, the Japanese call it akatogarishi, or togarishi and it is the main flavoring in spicy tuna rolls, yum! Awesome plants btw

maximumcapsicum said:
Plants are looking great Rick! Glad the chinenses have started picking up a little since you got them a little more toasty. Any day now you're going to be buried in king nagas.

Loving your annuum shots too, and the tomato picks literally made my stomach start rumblin. I think it's snack time.

Counddown to chinense!

Thanks Adam! I checked my 2013 glog against this year's progress and it looks like we're about 2 weeks behind. The Old Farmer's Almanac was right about the cooler than normal spring this year, I hope they're also right about warmer than normal temps from July through October... that would help a lot to make  up for the slow start.

Jamison said:
Damn fine job there Rick!
:)

Devv said:
+1 on 1171!

Plants and food look great!

That's just how I like the bark on my chicken!

Keep on a doin'!

Thanks Scott! I'm really loving that Yellow 7 puree in Jerk marinade. I suspect it's spicier than the Scotch Bonnets, but the fruity flavor suits it very well.

georgej said:
Rick, the takanotsume are usually dried and used in dishes whole. Bit of waste, the raw flavour makes it one of the nicest annum I've had!

Thanks G! Good to know the Takanotsume is tasty used fresh too. I see salsa, curries and dipping sauces in their future, and some will be dried for later. Cheers!

ronniedeb said:
Some great looking plants there Stickman!
Thanks Ronan! I've gotta get over to your glog to see how things are going with you... things have been very busy here, but I don't want to let them get completely away from me... :)

OCD Chilehead said:

Thanks for the confirmation of G's observations Chuck. My plant went full-goose Bozo with the side-branching, so I hope that means lots of pods this season!

chile_freak said:
Takanatsume also makes awesome powder when ripe, the Japanese call it akatogarishi, or togarishi and it is the main flavoring in spicy tuna rolls, yum! Awesome plants btw

Cool! I'm down with some spicy shrimp or Tekka Maki rolls! One of my favorite Asian appetizers is Vietnamese spring rolls wrapped with a spear of fresh cucumber and a lettuce leaf and dipped in a sweet/sour chile garlic sauce. Sounds like the Takanotsume would be perfect for that.

chile_freak said:
Actually aka means red, togarashi means chilli. Akatogarashi means red chilli.
It's separate to takanotsume (taka=hawk no='s tsume=claw) hawk's claw.

Alot of places sell Akatogarashi and takanotsume as separate and the plants look different.the heat difference between Akatogarashi and takanotsume is quite extreme too.

I just got hold of a 'jima togarashi' - island chilli. From okinawa. IllI'll be saving seeds. They are hotter still than takanotsume!

Back