• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

chilli whisperer said:
Thanks Rick:P. Its all good on my side. Its now winter,but
I'm not gonna let that stop me as I want to start germinating as soon
as I buy some trays and some extra seeds for the season.
Yea,I'm back in school lol,but at least I'm on vacation now ;)
Hey J. Sorry - just a word of advice. Your local nursery probably also recycle all the plastic they discard. And every spring there is tons of seed trays nurseries throw out. Go check them out, cause if they do you can get all the seedling trays and small pots for africa by just rummaging through their plastic recycling bins :) Absolutely free - save that hard earned money for buying them seeds!

PeriPeri said:
Hey J. Sorry - just a word of advice. Your local nursery probably also recycle all the plastic they discard. And every spring there is tons of seed trays nurseries throw out. Go check them out, cause if they do you can get all the seedling trays and small pots for africa by just rummaging through their plastic recycling bins :) Absolutely free - save that hard earned money for buying them seeds!
Dang,thanks Lourens! I never thought of that! I'm going in to town tomorrow,so I'm deffinitely gonna go and give it a try,thanks :P

OCD Chilehead said:
The OW Manzano is looking great. I bet the pollinator's find that flower very attractive. It's funny to think of a flowers purpose. So many shapes, sizes and colors. I'm going to try and take some blossom pics this weekend.

Thanks for sharing Rick.

GnomeGrown said:
What a beautiful flower

Thanks guys, and welcome back Gnome!

That Manzano flower sure looks purdy... I wonder what it looks like in UV light. Honeybees can see further into the UV spectrum than we can, and the flower pics I've seen that were taken with a UV camera have some really hot colors inside.

chilli whisperer said:
Thanks Rick:P. Its all good on my side. Its now winter,but
I'm not gonna let that stop me as I want to start germinating as soon
as I buy some trays and some extra seeds for the season.
Yea,I'm back in school lol,but at least I'm on vacation now ;)

I wish you well in school this year J... Sounds like you have ambitious plans for your vacation... Any idea yet what varieties you want to plant?

PeriPeri said:

+1 on that! I do the same at a local nursery for pots sized 5 liter and up. Now is a good time to do it too... other people will be rummaging at the start of the growing season, so now is a good time to beat the rush and find a better selection.  Carry on! :)

Yea,I already have a list,and its all thanks to the generouse people on the forum :) I also saved a lot,especially the mozambique periperi. Here's my list :P :

1)Cherry Bomb
2)Cobra
3)Monkey face
4)Bhut jolokia red
5)Bhut jolokia peach
6)CGN21500
7)Devils toungue white
8)Habanero red jumbo
9)Naga x Cumari Ou Passarinho
10)C. Annuum var. Gabruisculum "Tio"
11)C. Chacoense "C04392"
12)C. Eximium "C01225"
13)7pot bubblegum
14)Mozambique periperi
15)Datil
15)Bonda Ma Jaques
16)Carolina Reaper
17)Costeño Amarillo
18)Sepia Serpant
19)Goats Weed
207Pot Douglah
21)Broome Pepper
22)Orange habanero
23)Yellow 7pot
24)Butch T Scorpion
25)Infinity
26)7Pot Brown
27)7Pot Primo (Proper)
28)7Pot Primo (Naga Phenotipe)
29)7Pot Primo (7Pot Phenotipe)
30)Brainstrain Yellow
31)Lemon Drop
32)CARDI Yellow Scorpion
33)Brazilian Pumpkin
34)Tobasco
35)Ecuadorian Sweet
36)Black Pearl

This year will be much beter as last year was a "test" year,so now I have learned from my mistakes and I have quite a good idea of what I'm gonna do this year

stickman said:
Very cool list J! Think you'd be interested in some Manzano seeds? They might need some shade cloth during the hot months in your climate, but they can take a light freeze and should be able to OW outside for you.
Yea sure I'd love some :) I hear a lot about them but never actualy know why everyone is so crazy about them...flavour maby? I'll PM you my addy

chilli whisperer said:
Yea sure I'd love some :) I hear a lot about them but never actualy know why everyone is so crazy about them...flavour maby? I'll PM you my addy

Cheers J :)
Yeah, the flavor on the Manzanos is unique... my take on it is a combination of apricots and refried beans, and a lingering Habanero-type heat. The pods are orange, blocky and apple-shaped with thick, crunchy flesh and black seeds. They run about 4-7 cm in size and ripen fairly slowly. The plant has a low, spreading habit in the first year, and shoots up in the second and subsequent years with increased production then as well. They make a great powder if dried, and can be stuffed with ground meat and/or cheese and baked or chopped into salsa. I like them in Peach or Mango salsa. They have a thick skin, so a dehydrator might be required to dry them. http://www.chilepeppersrecipes.com/peppers/manzano
It's also sometimes one of the ingredients in Peruvian Huacatay sauce... http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/Peruvian-Huacatay-Salsa-Aji-De-Huacatay.htm

stickman said:

Cheers J :)
Yeah, the flavor on the Manzanos is unique... my take on it is a combination of apricots and refried beans, and a lingering Habanero-type heat. The pods are orange, blocky and apple-shaped with thick, crunchy flesh and black seeds. They run about 4-7 cm in size and ripen fairly slowly. The plant has a low, spreading habit in the first year, and shoots up in the second and subsequent years with increased production then as well. They make a great powder if dried, and can be stuffed with ground meat and/or cheese and baked or chopped into salsa. I like them in Peach or Mango salsa. They have a thick skin, so a dehydrator might be required to dry them. http://www.chilepeppersrecipes.com/peppers/manzano
It's also sometimes one of the ingredients in Peruvian Huacatay sauce... http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/Peruvian-Huacatay-Salsa-Aji-De-Huacatay.htm
Sounds like a real winner,I love drying pods and making flakes and powders,thinks its time I buy a dehydrator... I went on google to check some pics out,and they realy look good. I've never seen black pepper seeds,wich is also realy cool lol

Thanks
J

looking great Rick! 

love the look of the manzano flower. very unique.

the gochu i grew from seeds you gave me is a monster! bushy as.. and covered in pods!
afUsSs6.jpg

Not bad under the canopy
xhVn1Ap.jpg

Then there's this guy
CeLoTr1.jpg

Had a nibble on the first ripe pod yesterday. Obviously was abnormal, small and bullet shaped. So I didn't do a review. The other pods seem more like it.
Decent, persistent heat. Sweet and crazily crispy!

georgej said:
looking great Rick! 

love the look of the manzano flower. very unique.

the gochu i grew from seeds you gave me is a monster! bushy as.. and covered in pods!

Had a nibble on the first ripe pod yesterday. Obviously was abnormal, small and bullet shaped. So I didn't do a review. The other pods seem more like it.
Decent, persistent heat. Sweet and crazily crispy!

Excellent! I'm glad you like them G! :)  Fresh, they have a thick skin and thin flesh... they're much more pleasant ripened, dried and ground to powder. I love the earthy sweetness and aromatic qualities of the fresh powder... kind of like a Cayenne-hot Paprika. The full-sized green pods are good roasted and spread with gochujang, or stuffed, dipped in an egg batter and fried, and served with a dipping sauce (gochujeon). They're great little producers too... 10 plants will give you a kilo of gochugaru if they're happy.

Stickman,  this is an awesome glog.  Everything looks so good.  Since this glog is so huge, currently 69 pages, is there a section where you describe how you laid down the black plastic-like tarp-like material around your plants?  Did you lay that out first and then cut holes and then transplanted the plants?  You have a bunch of different peppers.  Are you trying to isolate them at all or are you letting them pollinate however it happens?   Just curious.  I am very newbie at all of this.  Thanks.

bpiela said:
Stickman,  this is an awesome glog.  Everything looks so good.  Since this glog is so huge, currently 69 pages, is there a section where you describe how you laid down the black plastic-like tarp-like material around your plants?  Did you lay that out first and then cut holes and then transplanted the plants?  You have a bunch of different peppers.  Are you trying to isolate them at all or are you letting them pollinate however it happens?   Just curious.  I am very newbie at all of this.  Thanks.

Sure Ben... and welcome to the zoo! I laid out the raised bed out back on May 1st and planted the Manzanos   http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43970-stickmans-2014-glog-ripe-annuums-are-coming-in/page-48#entry983737
and set up/planted the rest 10 days later in the veggie garden.   http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43970-stickmans-2014-glog-ripe-annuums-are-coming-in/page-51#entry987722

Time is of the essence this far north, so I try to give my plants as good a start as possible, and focus on root growth and development right from the beginning. General Hydroponics has a product called "RapidStart" that I feed my plants with while they're still inside under artificial lights. I build my sandy soil up with lots of humus between seasons, and spade in a good base dressing of nutes before laying out the IRT mulch, planting and setting up the low row cover. I continue to feed my plants on a 2-week rotation after they've been set outside, but I ease off on the nitrogen after the plants start flowering. The aim with using the IRT mulch is to use sunlight to passively warm the soil and create a microclimate that's more to the peppers liking. I leave it on for the entire growing season. The low row cover traps more heat when it's needed in the early season, but when the overnight low temperatures warm up into the 50s consistently, I take it down.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions. We all remember what it was like when we were starting off too. :)

Happy 4th of July errybody! In honor of the day, I thought you might be interested in a couple of quotes. The first from John Adams writing to his wife Abigail from the continental congress of July 1776...

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not." (The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).

Political bickering by members of congress over the wording of the document delayed the actual signing of the declaration of independence for another 2 days.

Just 3 generations later, John Adams great grandson John Francis Adams jr. had this to say...

"The time will never come when to secure good municipal government all citizens will have to do is to cast a ballot. In Chicago, Philadelphia, New York Boston, and the other large cities municipal government is not in the hands of the citizens, but in those of interested parties." (New York Times, 5 July 1892).

Sound familiar?

Not too much to show from the garden that's new, but looking out in the raised bed out back, I see the Yellow 7 has started setting pods.
IMAG0076_zps049b55c1.jpg

sp33d said:
Looing good stickman..I bet that yellow 7 is gonna give you an abundance of pods...can't wait...

Let's not forget the colonial Marines that were formed in 1776...
Semper Fi....

I hope so Tony... the parent plant last year gave me over a kilo of ripe pods, but it was a warmer spring and summer than we're seeing this year.

Actually, the U.S. Marines were formed 7 months before the Declaration of Independence... the continental congress approved the resolution to form 2 battalions of Marines on November 10th 1775, and the first Commandant was Maj. Samuel Nicholas. I served in the Army as a supply clerk in a combat engineer company, but I was taught to shoot by a Marine... my Dad, L Cpl Gerald F. Kelley, 1st Marine Reg't, Korea. :)

Hope everybody had a great holiday yesterday, I was out of town with my family.

Dawn Patrol this morning showed we got about 4 inches of rain between Thursday night and yesterday afternoon but no high winds. Thanks Arthur...Thursday afternoon I put some kelp meal down as a side dressing around my chiles and I've seen some good growth in the last couple of days. Thanks for the tip TJ, Lourens, et. al. :) This Takanotsume is an example... The plant gained about 25% in size in just 2 days.
IMAG0083_zps333b95a4.jpg

Today's show and tell has an oddity... I see one of the DST plants has a double pod growing from a single stem. I've seen Suggestive-looking growths poking out from under the calyx before, but this is a new one on me.
IMAG0087_zps4171babb.jpg

#2 Peri Peri is podding up now and seems to be a different phenotype than the #1 plant... taller, more upright habit, not as bushy, and the pods are longer and skinnier.
IMAG0077_zps0f85abff.jpg

Lucien, the Pritamins are gaining size quickly. I haven't grown them before, so I don't know how much longer they have to go before ripening, but the biggest pod is about 7cm in diameter and more pods are coming all the time on both plants.
IMAG0086_zpse1b06393.jpg

Lastly, the biggest Poblano has a pod that's almost ready to pull, and all 3 plants are loading up.
IMAG0081_zps4bdee8d5.jpg

It's a good thing I have this plant in a large tomato cage, but I'm gonna have to stake down the cage before long if it keeps setting pods like it is now. Have a great weekend everybody!

Great updates Rick. Happy fourth!

Pods are looking spectacular. I think some of your ground warming tricks are actually yielding mature pods faster than what I've experienced down here. Most of my non Bhut chinenses are only just now kicking in, but whoa are they kicking in. May be about time to start saucing...

I tried out the cherry hab glaze you recommended on some wigs and drumsticks. They were a huge hit. So glad we have gotten into good grilling weather.

sp33d said:
Your absolutely right.. Our little ditty use to be "back in 1775 is when my Marine Corp came alive"..

Oh yeah... I remember the marching cadence songs... did you guys do the one about the yellow bird? ;)
maximumcapsicum said:
Great updates Rick. Happy fourth!

Pods are looking spectacular. I think some of your ground warming tricks are actually yielding mature pods faster than what I've experienced down here. Most of my non Bhut chinenses are only just now kicking in, but whoa are they kicking in. May be about time to start saucing...

I tried out the cherry hab glaze you recommended on some wigs and drumsticks. They were a huge hit. So glad we have gotten into good grilling weather.

Thanks Adam, I had a great time at home with the family, glad you did with yours as well. Cherries are in season down your way right now, so I thought you might like that glaze. What kind of Habs did you use in it?
I hear ya 'bout the start of grilling season... I've got some yard work to do first, but later today I'm going to fire up the grill and make some Thai Red Devil Chicken and post pics of the process. :drooling:

Even though you live in Atlanta, I bet you could get a couple week jump on the season doing what I do, and extend it further on the other side as well. It would require better spacing of your plants since they'd get even bigger than yours will this year, but it's do-able. Cheers buddy!

stickman said:
Oh yeah... I remember the marching cadence songs... did you guys do the one about the yellow bird? ;)

Sitting on a window sill till I crushed it's little f#@?!% bill.. That one lol oh yeah..

Back