• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

stickman said:
Thanks Tony, and welcome to the zoo! Are things heating up for you yet in MN?
Slowly but surely things are warming up here in Michigan...... Love the glog man keep up the good work.. Check my glog out of you get a chance and give me some feedback, feedback from pros is always a good thing.. :)

Nice dawn patrol Rick! I started to see some color on my MoA's yesterday but didn't have time to snap a picture. I am thinking about marinading a chicken for Thursday... trying to find a good hab-based marinade... you got any suggestions? I'll use jerk sauce via your recipe if they mature in time.

Everything's looking good Rick and in full swing!

Glad your MoA's are doing so well, mine are alive but frozen in a non growth state, which I have yet to figure out.

Bonnie posted a natural product for grasshoppers in her glog last season, it addresses them when they are really small. Other than that from what I've read is they like high grasses to hide in, and one can only hope the birds and spiders eat them. I'm not seeing as many as last year, but something is still damaging 15% of my pods, mostly the Chinense.

Have a great week!

maximumcapsicum said:
You're on RIck. Gonna give it a shot. Habanero-cherry wings and legs it is.
Very cool Adam... If you have any Paper Lantern Habs... use those! They've always had a flavor that reminds me a bit of cherries anyway.

Devv said:

Glad your MoA's are doing so well, mine are alive but frozen in a non growth state, which I have yet to figure out.

Bonnie posted a natural product for grasshoppers in her glog last season, it addresses them when they are really small. Other than that from what I've read is they like high grasses to hide in, and one can only hope the birds and spiders eat them. I'm not seeing as many as last year, but something is still damaging 15% of my pods, mostly the Chinense.

Have a great week!

Sorry to hear your MoAs are stuck in a holding pattern Scott, but at least you get another swing at it when it cools off on the other end of the growing season. Hang in there buddy!

Do you happen to remember what Bonnie used for 'hopper control?  Now that the school year is over with, maybe Chuck should enlist the help of the local kids... as long as they don't do more damage through clumsiness anyway...

Chimayo's are coming in on the final approach
IMAG0060_zpsf67a33c8.jpg

Here's a closeup of the DSTpods TJ...
IMAG0062_zps4fdbbfa7.jpg

... and Smokemaster's Pequins
IMAG0064_zps2f9e5dab.jpg

Skinny-pheno Chintexle is loading up
IMAG0066_zpscfd2c24a.jpg

Cascabel is setting pods
IMAG0061_zpsd8cade87.jpg

These Improved Espanola Anaheims seem to be pretty skinny... they're two-lobed, which I expected, but the appearance still doesn't look quite right.
IMAG0065_zpsa67ea60a.jpg

A few "nons" to finish up...

First Italian Eggplant blossom
IMAG0067_zps7264b55f.jpg

Russian Plum tomatoes
IMAG0068_zps7cc571b7.jpg

Costolutos
IMAG0069_zpsf4f81edf.jpg

Happy July 1st errybody... Friday's coming!

stickman said:
Thanks Chuck! The only thing I can think of for Grasshoppers is what we used to do to catch them to fish with. We'd lay out a very hairy wool blanket on the ground and circle wide around it, then walk towards it through the grass. They'd hop to get away from us and onto the blanket, where their spiky hind legs would get tangled. Maybe you could lay down some kind of sticky traps that they would walk onto, but the downside of that is that it's really non-specific about what it catches. The other thing is to dust the plants with diatomaceous earth. Chewing insects cut their mandibles up and it takes them out of action. Spinosad is a soil-dwelling bacteria that's good for chewing insects, but to avoid taking out the friendlies, you'd have to spray after sunset and I don't think the 'hoppers are active after dark. Do you know?
I don't know if there active at night. There is some big ones I missed yesterday. They haven't eaten anything today. I was wondering if the foliar tea is keeping them from eating and there just hanging out on the plants for shade. I doubt it. They have to eat something. Looks like your getting used to the camera. I was thinking of sitting out there with my sons Red Ryder. Thanks for the tips and pics.

PeriPeri said:
Nice one buddy, looking really awesome! Bet you can't wait top get some of these beauties on the dinner table?

Thanks Lourens! I'm really hoping some of the tomatoes ripen up for salsa when my sister's here in a couple of weeks. #2 Peri Peri plant is starting to kick into pod production, but it doesn't look like it'll be as big as the #1 plant... we'll see by the end of the season if they even out. I had to pinch the tips of the branches near the other plants nearby so it doesn't crowd them out. There'll still be plenty O' pods from the Peri Peris!

OCD Chilehead said:
I don't know if there active at night. There is some big ones I missed yesterday. They haven't eaten anything today. I was wondering if the foliar tea is keeping them from eating and there just hanging out on the plants for shade. I doubt it. They have to eat something. Looks like your getting used to the camera. I was thinking of sitting out there with my sons Red Ryder. Thanks for the tips and pics.

I kid you not... if you have big grasshoppers for bait, you'll catch lots of fish with them! I hook them shallowly through the top of the thorax with a light wire hook so they stay alive for a bit and kick as they float downstream. Run them along undercut banks or next to fallen logs and boulders in the runs and pools, and you'll catch some big fish. They'll hit hard too!

Hi Rick,
I never got the chance to tell you how much I envy you for those nice looking pritamins.
I think mine have set pods too early, plants aren't big enough.
Speechless on almas, I can't wait for pics on pickling those.

On the issue of attracting spiders, as I grow in containers and somewhat closer to the house,
I have no problem getting spiders on my plants, the real problem is keeping them there.
As plants grow or I move them for watering or so, it's really difficult to keep the webs intact.

chilli whisperer said:
Plants looking great. I like those purple flowers..I like flowers..lol.
Nice tomatoes too!

Thanks J, and welcome back buddy! How are things out your way, are you back in school?

lucilanga said:
Hi Rick,
I never got the chance to tell you how much I envy you for those nice looking pritamins.
I think mine have set pods too early, plants aren't big enough.
Speechless on almas, I can't wait for pics on pickling those.

On the issue of attracting spiders, as I grow in containers and somewhat closer to the house,
I have no problem getting spiders on my plants, the real problem is keeping them there.
As plants grow or I move them for watering or so, it's really difficult to keep the webs intact.

Thanks Lucien! I'm looking forward to using the Pritamins in salads and pico de gallo salsa, and I loved the pickled Almapaprika so much that I doubled the number of plants I set out, and I plan to pickle all the pods I pick from them. They're good just by themselves, but I'm going to stuff some of them with prosciutto and sharp provalone at Christmas time for appetizers... :drooling:

Don't feel too bad about tearing spiderwebs when you move your pots... Nature avoids waste whenever possible, and the web-spinning spiders actually eat the silk in their old webs and recycle the material.

Devv said:
What I like about your glog Rick is every time I visit I see improvement.

I'm on vacation for a week, and will catch up when I return. Have a good one!

Good enough Scott... have fun on the old stomping grounds! Maybe one of these summers we can meet halfway. My Mom lives on the Massachusetts side of the NY-MA border, near Canaan, NY.

The OW Manzano is looking great. I bet the pollinator's find that flower very attractive. It's funny to think of a flowers purpose. So many shapes, sizes and colors. I'm going to try and take some blossom pics this weekend.

Thanks for sharing Rick.

stickman said:

Cheers Ronan!

It's too hot to spend much time outside, but the chiles are lovin' it.

Funny looking new pod on the Prik Leuang
IMAG0071_zps45b27af1.jpg

New flower on the White Hab
IMAG0072_zpsc5ff095d.jpg

OW Manzano plant is bustin' out...
IMAG0073_zps8c82e9ae.jpg

Manzano flower
IMAG0074_zps5bd4667e.jpg

Have a good hump day all!
What a beautiful flower

Back