• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

I agree on the Jal harvest, that and I already see the blackening on the shoulder. We wait for that to show in most cases.

I've had BER for years, this season I hit the plants with weekly foliar treatments of Calmag (100%) and Seaweed Extract (50%). I put the mix in a watering can and wet each plant. We had 1 single tom with BER this year, versus a 30% loss last season.

meatfreak said:

I do now thanks to you :) I'm still not 100% sure it's the fungus and hope I'm wrong. I did water them a lot these past weeks and they don't like that either. Anyway today I checked them out and they looked already better. Picked of the first flowers so the plants can grow a bit more, read that picking the first flowers gives better yields so why not give it a try. Still early in season :)

Smart thinking on the Jalapeno and those are good looking pods! After a few days the plant will pick up growth again and you will benefit from it in the end. I do the same or even pinch out the buds if the plants are still to small. Good to see the Thai Demon is picking up also, mine are finally starting to get more bushy. Very curious about the taste and heat of this one. Have a good weekend and safe travels for the wife!

Good luck with your sickly-looking Eggplants Stefan, I know they're in good hands. :)

I'll be interested in hearing about anything you cook up with the Thai pods. :drooling:  I'll be making table relish and powdering mine for Red Devil chicken I think.
Devv said:
I agree on the Jal harvest, that and I already see the blackening on the shoulder. We wait for that to show in most cases.

I've had BER for years, this season I hit the plants with weekly foliar treatments of Calmag (100%) and Seaweed Extract (50%). I put the mix in a watering can and wet each plant. We had 1 single tom with BER this year, versus a 30% loss last season.

Cheers Scott, and thanks for the tip on what works for you to prevent BER. Organic material acts like a sort of sponge that helps the soil retain moisture and nutrients, and I've been adding lots to my sandy garden in hopes of doing just that.

stickman said:

Good luck with your sickly-looking Eggplants Stefan, I know they're in good hands. :)

I'll be interested in hearing about anything you cook up with the Thai pods. :drooling:  I'll be making table relish and powdering mine for Red Devil chicken I think.

Cheers Scott, and thanks for the tip on what works for you to prevent BER. Organic material acts like a sort of sponge that helps the soil retain moisture and nutrients, and I've been adding lots to my sandy garden in hopes of doing just that.
I was thinking of making plain old Sambal Oelek of them and like you dry and powder. I like Sambal Oelek the most since it's all about the flavor of the pepper that you've used and no other ingredients. Gonna be a while till I get some ripe ones, the green ones should be tasty also right? Maybe nice to add to a stir fried rice dice :)

meatfreak said:
I was thinking of making plain old Sambal Oelek of them and like you dry and powder. I like Sambal Oelek the most since it's all about the flavor of the pepper that you've used and no other ingredients. Gonna be a while till I get some ripe ones, the green ones should be tasty also right? Maybe nice to add to a stir fried rice dice :)

When I said table relish, it was because I couldn't remember the name of Sambal Oelek, thank you. :)   I'll also probably can up some chile garlic sauce and homemade sriricha sauce. I think the Takanotsume is pretty close in flavor, so I'll make some with those also to have a side-by-side comparison. I want to make up some Thai curry pastes to freeze as well. That's why I planted a Prik Leuang... for yellow curry paste... Gotta have it for Carrot and Pumpkin curry at the end of the season! I think it's my favorite way to eat Butternut Squash. :drooling:

JJJessee said:
Your season really opening up, and all those irons in the fire are starting to pay out in pods.

Love the pergola, Cant wait the see it tricked-out in melons!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks TJ... Drive on! :P

Not too much to report this morning before I have to go in to work a half day, but I took a quick look at the chiles, and I see a lot of dropped skirts under the Annuums and Peri Peri! Have a great Sunday all!

Jeff H said:
Garden looks great Rick.

My 'penos are still small too, good for you to pull the pods and let the plant focus on growing.

Love the melon cage. What type of melons?

They're an heirloom variety that was grown by Thomas Jefferson. I got the seeds as a freebie packet when I ordered from Baker Creek seeds... http://www.rareseeds.com/ananas-d-amerique-a-chair-verte-/
Here's where they're at now...
IMAG0025_zpsbbceb899.jpg

My wife is taking my usual camera with her on her trip to Canada, so I thought I'd spend a little time familiarizing myself with the backup...

the purple pheno Pimenta Lisa after picking off the flower buds to encourage more growth.
IMAG0018_zps90c0ee63.jpg

Maybe first pod on the King Naga?
IMAG0021_zpse8327f3d.jpg

Closeup of the Peri Peri
IMAG0028_zps1c6d07a3.jpg

Poblanos are loading up!
IMAG0026_zps07a35be0.jpg

Goat's Weed... top of the plant
IMAG0037_zps11b2571e.jpg

and some flowers that look cool...

Dedo de Moca
IMAG0032_zpsa5e24025.jpg

Aji Lemon
IMAG0034_zps0e54b6ae.jpg

Donne Sali
IMAG0031_zps958c498e.jpg

Chintexle skinny pheno
IMAG0041_zps5dcf529b.jpg

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
This is just ridiculously long grow log at 67 pages short and it's just the middle of summer.  Having read back only over the last several pages everything seems to be growing very well Rick.  Can't wait to see how the rest of your season shapes up I bet it going to be a hot one.

Thanks Cappy, and welcome to the zoo! How's the Drum fishing out your way right now?

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Red Drum or spot tail as we call them here are running right now lots of big over slot monsters being released to make more babies for us to eat.

Very cool! Wet a line for me in the salt... I'll be Largemouth fishing this week with my fly rod, float tube and some Chernobyl Ants and streamers.

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice Jalapeño pull. I like the flower pics. Hope your wife has a good trip and have a great week.

Thanks Chuck! With my wife away for almost 2 weeks, I'll have time to get in a little fishing... :P

The backup camera doesn't do well in macro setting in early morning light since it won't let me use the flash in macro mode. It takes better closeups in good light though.
IMAG0059_zps31d3456b.jpg

I've been waging war against the Squash Bugs and breaking even... the adults have learned to hide in the early mornings when I patrol the garden since I crushed the first half-dozen I found. I hear that if I left a piece of board on the ground underneath the Squash plants, they'd hide underneath and be easy to find and crush... I'll have to try that. In the meantime, I'm looking for their eggs underneath the leaves and crushing any I find. This is what Squash Bug eggs look like...
IMAG0058_zps98ff5ae6.jpg

Last pics with the good camera before the wife leaves...

MoA babies
SANY1666_zps5c6a5c52.jpg

Have a great last day of June!

Purple-pheno Pimenta Lisa running to catch up to the others...
SANY1669_zps6607562b.jpg

Have a great end of June all!

Thanks Chuck! The only thing I can think of for Grasshoppers is what we used to do to catch them to fish with. We'd lay out a very hairy wool blanket on the ground and circle wide around it, then walk towards it through the grass. They'd hop to get away from us and onto the blanket, where their spiky hind legs would get tangled. Maybe you could lay down some kind of sticky traps that they would walk onto, but the downside of that is that it's really non-specific about what it catches. The other thing is to dust the plants with diatomaceous earth. Chewing insects cut their mandibles up and it takes them out of action. Spinosad is a soil-dwelling bacteria that's good for chewing insects, but to avoid taking out the friendlies, you'd have to spray after sunset and I don't think the 'hoppers are active after dark. Do you know?

Great dawn patrol Rick. I used the board trick to control earwigs last season. Had tons of the jerks eating new growth on the pepper plants and broccoli.

Grasshoppers are tough. Spiders eventually set up shop in my plants and seem to be bringing the hopper numbers down. Orb spiders specifically. I've been watching a couple get bigger and bigger as the season progresses, munching hoppers every day.

Maybe there is some way to attract spiders?

maximumcapsicum said:
Great dawn patrol Rick. I used the board trick to control earwigs last season. Had tons of the jerks eating new growth on the pepper plants and broccoli.

Grasshoppers are tough. Spiders eventually set up shop in my plants and seem to be bringing the hopper numbers down. Orb spiders specifically. I've been watching a couple get bigger and bigger as the season progresses, munching hoppers every day.

Maybe there is some way to attract spiders?

Earwigs aren't usually a problem here Adam, but good to know. If having lots of food around doesn't attract Orb Weaver spiders, maybe the best thing to do is to find some and relocate them. ;)

JJJessee said:
Lookin' super, Rick.
Is that a B Rainbow I spy, or a C. 5 color?
Baker Creek sent me some of the same seed last year.  I planted a hill this year, but I don't think that's a groundhog resistant variety.

Neither as far as I know TJ... I got the seeds from cmpman1974. He called them Dilley Street Tamwork and said they were a Pequin-type. The pods are kinda large for a Pequin, but the flowers look right and the plants are small but prolific like you'd expect.

It looks like it's gonna be a hot one out there today... forecast calls for highs in the 90s today and tomorrow...  the Bhuts and Trinidad Scorpions should like that!

Back