• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Spicegeist said:
Ok, your Lota Bihs look like they're growing true from what I can tell so far, they've got that crooked thing that seems to be a trait of theirs.

Elongated MOAs look very interesting.

Thanks Charles! The pods are babies yet, but so far seem to have a similar shape to the Bhuts. When you say they have a crooked thing going... do you mean the angle of the flower to the flower stem?

I'm eager to see what the MoA crosses produce! If they really are crossed with Ramon's White Bhut, the taste should be fruity and hot.

meatfreak said:
Wow, Rick, the Chinense have kicked in indeed :D Thanks for the pic of the purple Lisa, it's grown a lot and the leaves do stay dark/purple! Over here the leaves are half green/purple, which is cool but full purple/dark is also interesting. Wondering which kind of pods it will have. Your flower petals have more purple on them as well! Very excited.

Me too Stefan! The purple-pheno plant has been growing like a champ for the last few weeks and surprised all of us. It's interesting to me that the upper leaf surfaces are purple, while underneath they're green with purple veins. Things are looking a little rough in the back yard because we're having our midsummer infestation of soil-dwelling beetles that come out at night to chew on the leaves. They've done a real number on my wife's sunflowers.
SANY0048_zpsb27fb729.jpg

Trippa said:
It seems like only a little while ago that the douglah OW was just bare stems ... and now setting pods ... the advantages of an overwinter I suppose in that once they get cracking they ramp up production much quicker.
How is the fresh start Douglah looking in comparison??... looks like in about 6-8 weeks you will be in the midst of a glut of pods ... nice work bro!!

Thanks Tristan, you bet I'm psyched! The fresh-start Douglah is almost the same size as the OW, but the stems and foliage (and flowers) are half as dense.

OW plant
SANY0046_zps04b72dc1.jpg

1st year plant
SANY0045_zpsadcd4ffb.jpg

SANY0044_zps96376ee7.jpg

Aji Lemon loading up
SANY0038_zps46d62984.jpg

... and Shane's Texas Pequins
SANY0040_zps92136f00.jpg

The camera doesn't show the true flourescent orange color of the ripening DST pods... They should be going red soon.
SANY0037_zpsbc70a6b3.jpg

The Chintexle cross in the middle of this pic is gonna be another beast!
SANY0035_zpsfb06a312.jpg

A Syrphid Fly (or Hover Fly) on the Tomatillos. Very beneficial insect... the adults are nectar-eating pollinators, the larvae are mite and aphid-eating predators.
SANY0043_zpsb86deca7.jpg

And lastly, my wife's melon plant has really reached out the last few days. She rigged some jute cord so the vines could climb out to the corner posts on them.
SANY0033_zps72ae191c.jpg

Have a great evening all!

Peppers are looking good.

Nice shot of the tomatillo. My SIL (the recipient of my overflow plants) was telling me I gave her a weed the other day. Today I went to her house, took a look at the leaves and reminded her that it was a tomatillo. Unmistakable leaves. The bee is a nice friend to have around too.

Question about the melons: I have a couple of cantelope that are almost that big. Plenty of flowers, but no fruit yet. Have you grown these before? When do they fruit? My first year with them.

Spicegeist said:

Thanks Charles, It's a little early to see if they grow like your pictures, but it shouldn't be long before we see it. Thanks for the heads-up!

GA Growhead said:
Finally got caught up. Lots of killer pod action I see!
That chintextle cross is a beast compared to the true one.
Cool melon set up too.

Cheers Jason! Do you have any other fruit or veggies planted?

Jeff H said:
Peppers are looking good.

Nice shot of the tomatillo. My SIL (the recipient of my overflow plants) was telling me I gave her a weed the other day. Today I went to her house, took a look at the leaves and reminded her that it was a tomatillo. Unmistakable leaves. The bee is a nice friend to have around too.

Question about the melons: I have a couple of cantelope that are almost that big. Plenty of flowers, but no fruit yet. Have you grown these before? When do they fruit? My first year with them.

Thanks Jeff! I've gotta get caught up on your glog to see how your raised bed is doing... We're wicked busy getting ready for a family picnic here this weekend...

Heirloom varieties of melons, squashes and cucumbers are all similar in that the first 10-20 flowers are all male, and for every female flower thereafter there'll be another 10-20 male flowers, so nothing to worry about... it's normal. In Mexico they cook with squash blossoms, but only use the male. Some of the new varieties have predominately or only female flowers (gynoecious), and some of those don't need male flowers for pollination (parthenocarpic).

OCD Chilehead said:
Dang Rick. You ain't lying about the difference in-ground makes. Pequin's are looking good. That Chintexle plant is really trying to touch the sun. Looks like a lot of blossoms on her. I really like the melon plant, looking cool with the vines reaching for the corners.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Chuck!

ronniedeb said:
My early MOA pods look like yours.

It looks like the smaller ones following behind are more standard shaped. 

Very cool Ronan, I'm really happy with how quickly the MoAs are podding up and growing, but so far that's been a trait of all the Habs I've grown... at least as compared to long-season varieties like the Trinidad Scorpions and Bhuts. Last year I grew a Hab variety called "Maya Red" that looked like it was either related to or the same as the Paper Lantern Hab. It ripened in only 90 days, which made it my first Chinense to come in. The plants were full and bushy and produced an abundance of fruity pods with decent heat and a flavor that reminded me of cherries. I'm curious to see how it compares to the MoA taste-wise, as I'll plant one or the other next year. Cheers!

maximumcapsicum said:
Great pods Rick! I always learn something when I swing by. Scott sent me an aji lemon and man that's a tasty pod. Looks like you'll have a ton to play with.

I'm all jammed up, got plenty of jars set away including an MoA jam I'm pretty excited about. Means I'll revisiting the pickle recipes.

Keep on doing the patrols!

Ya, you be jammin' fo' sure mon!  :cool:   I've had a few Aji Lemons here and there, but I'm looking forward to really wallowing in them Adam. ;) Cheers!

Pr0digal_son said:
Plants are looking good. It has been a rough season so far in the North Atlantic. Hopefully it will dry out soon.

Hoverflies are loving my chacoense plants. They are a cool insect. You can see their abdomen morph and change as they breathe.

14479043257_38502f0468_c.jpg

Man! That is an incredible shot John... thanks for sharing! I feel for ya having a cold, wet spring into summer this year... we're pulling for ya, we're all in this together. :P

rick_pitcher said:
What did you use to take that picture because it is wicked

Agreed!

meatfreak said:
Wow, plants look very healthy, Rick. Love that color transition on the DST!

Thanks Stefan! Y'know, looking at JeffH's pics of his Numex Twilight, it looks an awful lot like the DST barring pod size.

I wish I could take credit for the way the plants look now, but I suspect it's because we've been in the sweet spot as regards the ratio of warm temps, sun and rain.

Yeah. Rick, lots of others.
Have stars and moon watermelon and a couple cantaloupe and a honey dew melon for the melon department.
Carrots, purple, red, and mixed and french breakfast radishes.
The misses picked a ton of green beans today.
Cucumbers are everywhere.
Zucchini is still going. The yellow squash is done thanks to stem borers.
Also trying pumpkin this year.

stickman said:

Thanks Stefan! Y'know, looking at JeffH's pics of his Numex Twilight, it looks an awful lot like the DST barring pod size.

I wish I could take credit for the way the plants look now, but I suspect it's because we've been in the sweet spot as regards the ratio of warm temps, sun and rain.
Now that you mention it, they do have the same color transition, shape and size as the Numex Twilight.. No flavor but good amount of heat.

GA Growhead said:
Yeah. Rick, lots of others.
Have stars and moon watermelon and a couple cantaloupe and a honey dew melon for the melon department.
Carrots, purple, red, and mixed and french breakfast radishes.
The misses picked a ton of green beans today.
Cucumbers are everywhere.
Zucchini is still going. The yellow squash is done thanks to stem borers.
Also trying pumpkin this year.

Excellent! There's nothing like fresh fruits and veggies you've grown yourself, eh Jason? :)  Sorry to hear about the stem borers... I've never heard of them before, are they a pest in the south?

annie57 said:
I think I saw the cross (or other half of) on Charles' glog, but with what is the Chintexle crossed, Rick? (Big kid!) Looking pretty and also looks like you'll get that swimming wish on Aji Limon/Lemon!

I couldn't hazard a guess as to what the #2 Chintexle crossed with miz Annie... something vigorous by the look...

Definitely got my eye on those Aji Lemons! ;)  Do you do anything special with yours?
meatfreak said:
Now that you mention it, they do have the same color transition, shape and size as the Numex Twilight.. No flavor but good amount of heat.

Except for the growing habit, also similar to the Peruvian Purple... much more prolific though.

stickman said:
I couldn't hazard a guess as to what the #2 Chintexle crossed with miz Annie... something vigorous by the look...

Definitely got my eye on those Aji Lemons! ;)  Do you do anything special with yours?

Something "vigorous" indeed! Now, that kind of tall smaller podded child, I could hang with! (The lower back and iddy bitty pods, low flying to ground, just hurts, ha!) Probably why I grow so many Tabasco. They get on up there. Looking forward to, when your ship huge harvest comes in, if you wouldn't mind sharing some seeds of that. Am crossing a Naga w/a Tab this year, so . . . we'll see. Aji Limon, Y7's (or YBrains, or YMoruga, since I can't tell much of difference) make a great fish/chicken powder with True Lime. Yeah: I broke down and bought boxes of TLime, since dehydrating lime slices was a huge, sticky, fail for me last year--I kinda made it work. Idea came from then Bodeen, now H-billy Jeff's, Burg 7 Fish blend. This year, I may try Fish peppers in with that, change color, but who cares? And might try to get some Fish pepper infused salt a la Kevin/Wayright. Imagine same would work with Aji L and Y7. PM me if you want to know what he does, if you already don't. AL are great pickled too! I think they'd make great jam, lotta seed but--I blame credit Adam with resetting/"mind-expansion" on pepper jams. Nice thing is, can mix with a sauce and make an excellent glaze for about any meat or (or just slather on as glaze)--eat on everything! AL are versatile! Swim away, dear man!

PIC 1 said:
Yours plants are getting nice and bushy...........you should be getting some heavy harvests next month.

I second Greg's emotion! :clap:

The lemons that Scott sent me taste divine. Glad that it looks like yours are loading up. 

I typed this post half a dozen times before it stuck. Kept getting deleted. Alas.

What is your experience pickling habs? I've never had a pickled hab, but I have plenty of pods right around now.

Looking forward to the next patrol report!

Back