• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

randyp said:
    Jesus Rick,you'r going to have to use 55 gallon barrels to collect all those pods.Talk about pod crowding.Everything looks great. ;)

Thanks for the good vibe Randy, and welcome to the zoo! How are things going for you in Hoosier country?

Looooking Goood!! What a bundle of pods you have there ... amazing the difference in density of pods between the overwinter and 1st year douglah I think.   Well done Rick .. always a pleasure to stop in!

stickman said:

Thanks for the good vibe Randy, and welcome to the zoo! How are things going for you in Hoosier country?
    Things are great Rick,I got my first bucket full of the season tonight after work. :party:

randyp said:
    Things are great Rick,I got my first bucket full of the season tonight after work. :party:

Good on ya Randy... I dropped by your glog, and took a look. You've got some nice stuff. Drive on!

Not much new to report on the Dawn Patrol this morning, but I saw a little color on the Texas Pequins and Chintexle cross, and I picked some good sized Poblanos and yellow slicing Tomatoes called Dagma's Perfection.
SANY0144_zpsa136a1a8.jpg

Most were between 80 and 100 grams, but the largest was over 120 grams. I'll be firing up the grill tonight to roast and peel them for sure!
SANY0146_zps2e5d07a5.jpg

TGIF all!

Really nice pobs Rick!

Your grow has me thinking...

2 years in a row I can't the pob seeds to germ, and have to buy the plants, which are too small to do much. Currently they are loaded down, so I'm hoping.

I'm impressed by the yields per plant you get! I get the yields by large plant numbers. They may get to 5' in height, but the production is low.

You know the farmers here grow pickles starting August 25th. My brain working here (albeit slowly ;) ) I bet a Sept. 1st. planting of nice large pepper plants would yield better than the spring crops. Food for thought...

romy6 said:
 Happy Friday and nice haul . I see chili rellenos in your near future  :shh:

chili relleno's....yum!

romy6 said:
 Happy Friday and nice haul . I see chili rellenos in your near future  :shh:

Thanks for the good vibe brother Jamie. :)

Devv said:
Really nice pobs Rick!

Your grow has me thinking...

2 years in a row I can't the pob seeds to germ, and have to buy the plants, which are too small to do much. Currently they are loaded down, so I'm hoping.

I'm impressed by the yields per plant you get! I get the yields by large plant numbers. They may get to 5' in height, but the production is low.

You know the farmers here grow pickles starting August 25th. My brain working here (albeit slowly ;) ) I bet a Sept. 1st. planting of nice large pepper plants would yield better than the spring crops. Food for thought...

chili relleno's....yum!

Thanks for the good vibe Scott. :)

I can't help you with the special challenges of growing chiles in your local climate, but the Bexar County Extension Service might. http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/contact-us/

Cheers!

Trippa said:
Nice haul Rick ... are poblanos always picked and eaten green ??

It's funny, but what you call that variety of pepper depends on how ripe it is. When still green it's called a Poblano. Let it ripen to a garnet red and it's called an Ancho. If it ripens chocolate brown it's a Mulato chile. Hope that helps. :)

Happy Saturday all! I'm about to pull a Dawn Patrol, but first a couple of pics...

Supper was made on the grill last night, and after that was done I roasted, peeled and seeded the Poblanos from the last pull and put them in the freezer for the winter. To make it easy on myself I put 2 prepared pods apiece in sandwich bags, labeled them and put them all into a gallon-sized freezer bag. That way I can just grab one of the smaller bags when I want to make a meal with them and everything's together.
SANY0147_zps346e2f8a.jpg

After that one fluke baby Bhut pod, the only Chinense to ripen here is the MoAs. They're starting to add up though. They're on the kitchen windowsill to finish ripening, and when I get enough together I'll make a Bonnet-Mango sauce.
SANY0148_zps4c2cb855.jpg

Back from the Dawn Patrol this morning and conditions are sunny and cool. Overnight lows were down to 51 degrees. It's been in the low to middle 50s most nights, with the occasional night in the low 60s. That's probably why it's taking so long for most of the long-season chiles to ripen up. The last Annuum to ripen will be the Saeng Cho Gochu, but no surprise there since it was the last plant started from seed.

Ripening Chintexle cross
SANY0159_zpse4a602b6.jpg

Texas Pequin
SANY0160_zps5aa53f6c.jpg

The first hint of color on the Aji Limon
SANY0162_zpsfed54acf.jpg

Hungarian Pritamin pepper nearly ready to pick
SANY0161_zps7a421994.jpg

Naga King plant is really loading up with pointy, glarly-looking pods!
SANY0149_zpscf5f4146.jpg

SANY0158_zpsb0c44269.jpg

Guwahati Bhut is also looking like it's gonna be a hot one!
SANY0157_zps7c46376a.jpg

Pimenta Lisa still plugging along... Stefan thinks this variety will take a lot longer to ripen and pass through orange, yellow and then white. Here's your 4-lobed pod miz Annie.
SANY0154_zps11ad0609.jpg

Only a dozen pods on the OW Manzano, but the first 6 are pretty large.
SANY0153_zps25ee6269.jpg

That's all for now... have a great weekend all!

stickman said:
Back from the Dawn Patrol this morning and conditions are sunny and cool. But that means more flowers/pods. EXTEND THAT GROW SEASON! ;) Overnight lows were down to 51 degrees. It's been in the low to middle 50s most nights, with the occasional night in the low 60s. That's probably why it's taking so long for most of the long-season chiles to ripen up. The last Annuum to ripen will be the Saeng Cho Gochu, but no surprise there since it was the last plant started from seed.

Ripening Chintexle cross
SANY0159_zpse4a602b6.jpg

Texas Pequin
SANY0160_zps5aa53f6c.jpg

The first hint of color on the Aji Limon
SANY0162_zpsfed54acf.jpg

Hungarian Pritamin pepper nearly ready to pick"--Like to know more about this pepper, RicoSuave."
SANY0161_zps7a421994.jpg

Naga King plant is really loading up with pointy, glarly-looking pods!
SANY0149_zpscf5f4146.jpg

SANY0158_zpsb0c44269.jpg

Guwahati Bhut is also looking like it's gonna be a hot one! Raise and call! Gorgeous pepper, Rick!
SANY0157_zps7c46376a.jpg

Pimenta Lisa still plugging along... Stefan thinks this variety will take a lot longer to ripen and pass through orange, yellow and then white. Here's your 4-lobed pod miz Annie. ♪♫"MoALisa, MoALisa/Men have named you . . . do you smile to tempt a lover MoALisa . . ." ♫ Ooo: I have one that color but it's only partly turning blanching in this dang rain. NICE!
SANY0154_zps11ad0609.jpg

Only a dozen pods on the OW Manzano, but the first 6 are pretty large. Oh my gawd! GORGEOUS! Never had one, and these are just astoundingly BIG!
SANY0153_zps25ee6269.jpg

That's all for now... have a great weekend all!

Nice charring up poblano, Rick! I plucked a few to char with roasted salsa roja Those look yummy and NICE MoA haul. Jamie described them in a way I can't relate to really but like a manzano. I can see that from taste descriptions of manzano. How "yourn" ;) tasting? I make a bonnet/mango jam without much pectin that's excellent (toss couple red primo, other hot red 7 in mix to make colorful, spice-up but not clash), but since MoA taste like mango (to me); can't wait to pair those in sauce, as have other bonnets. Our temps too are keeping pods under thick canopy from zipping along but highs back to normal next week. Can't wait to see what ya do with that sauce; meant to tell you that jerk/bonnet sauce recipe on Scott's glog, AMEN, bruddamon: people get slap-happy with allspice and it turns sauce/jerk bitter! It can't be said enough! "Go easy on allspice!" Nice hauls, pics, RickyRico. :dance:

annie57 said:

Nice charring up poblano, Rick! I plucked a few to char with roasted salsa roja Those look yummy and NICE MoA haul. Jamie described them in a way I can't relate to really but like a manzano. I can see that from taste descriptions of manzano. How "yourn" ;) tasting? I make a bonnet/mango jam without much pectin that's excellent (toss couple red primo, other hot red 7 in mix to make colorful, spice-up but not clash), but since MoA taste like mango (to me); can't wait to pair those in sauce, as have other bonnets. Our temps too are keeping pods under thick canopy from zipping along but highs back to normal next week. Can't wait to see what ya do with that sauce; meant to tell you that jerk/bonnet sauce recipe on Scott's glog, AMEN, bruddamon: people get slap-happy with allspice and it turns sauce/jerk bitter! It can't be said enough! "Go easy on allspice!" Nice hauls, pics, RickyRico. :dance:

Thanks for layin' down a good vibe miz Annie! :)

I'm certainly not complaining about the weather this year... it's been the perfect balance of rain, warmth and sun. It might take a little longer for the pods to ripen, but we've still got the time... Inshallah!
I'm definitely loving my foray into Hungarian peppers courtesy of Balazs! Nothing like a native guide after all. He and his lady had their first child a couple of weeks ago so his time is not his own right now. I expect that suits him to the ground. :)  Maybe this'll help with getting the Hungarian Paprikas settled... http://www.emperorscrumbs.com/hungarian-paprika-a-primer/
A pic borrowed from the net to show them better...
6790071981_d8168de71f_z.jpg

This variety is a very sweet pepper with thick, crunchy flesh... I'd say sweeter than a ripe red Bell pepper, but pretty close in flavor. They're great used fresh in salads, pickled or roasted. They're one of the slower ripening Hungarians, but the pepper-growing region there has a climate very close to that of New England... with cold winters and warm to hot summers, so they still ripen fairly quickly.

I'm amazed by the size of some of the Manzanos too! Last season I only pulled them half that size. It definitely looks like there are advantages to over-wintering this variety, so maybe you'll OW yours this year instead of pulling it up at the end of the growing season? :P

Cheers!

Your grow continues to amaze me Rick!

And I can't believe you're getting 50's at night, the instrument thermometer on the porch says just shy of 100° right now. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. September is our "turning" month.

randyp said:
     Looks great Rick,early morning trip thru the garden.I did the same and when I got close to the plants,you could smell the sweat superhot smell of the peppers. ;)

It's nice to see someone who enjoys their hobby, no? :)

Devv said:
Your grow continues to amaze me Rick!

And I can't believe you're getting 50's at night, the instrument thermometer on the porch says just shy of 100° right now. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. September is our "turning" month.

Things have been doing unexpectedly well in the cooler temperatures here this summer. The only thing I did differently this year was to spade in Azomite and Jersey Greensand along with the other amendments, but I can't be sure it made that much of a difference.

Good luck with the cooling weather out your way... when will you pull the plug on your season to plant your cover crop?

PeriPeri said:
That dirt of your's is on fire Rick. Loads of heat coming into the kitchen... nice to see your Hungarian sweet peppers have not been attacked by anything!

Thanks Lourens! I amended the garden soil in the veggie garden differently than in the raised bed behind the house. In the raised bed I used compost from a commercial enterprise here in town, and I think either it came with Asiatic Garden Beetle larvae or it attracted them because it was so rich in the kind of food they like. The Chinense and Manzano plants I have in there have been chewed on, but are so healthy that they seem to shrug it off. I didn't add any compost in the veggie garden this year... just spaded in the shredded leaves I covered the plot with last fall together with "green" horse manure and other amendments. I also put in Basil and Marigolds as companion plants to call in the friendly insects, and they've been busy patrolling the plants for aphids and mites.

Back