• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Good luck with the cooling weather out your way... when will you pull the plug on your season to plant your cover crop?

In three more weeks, I want to get the cover crop in by the 15th. The Crimson Clover took longer than I had anticipated last year to get going. Probably due to a later start. So I'll have 2 weeks to shred and till in the amendments prior to cover cropping.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks great Rick. Nice to see some color on the pequin. Can't wait to see how the sauce comes out.

Thanks for sharing the great pics.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Cheers Chuck!

PeriPeri said:
Basil and Marigold, noted... will definately be planting some of this!

... and Cilantro!

annie57 said:
Thanks for info, Rick. Vitamin C synthesized from Hungarian Paprikas! Didn't know that: cool!

Actually, he isolated it... most peppers and all Hungarians are already high in Vitamin C. That's one reason why they're so good at fighting colds! Add to that  the effect of clearing the bronchioles and nasal passages, stimulating the circulation and elevating the mood after the endorphin rush and you can see why they're so important to this Yankee... especially during those long winters. ;)

Devv said:

In three more weeks, I want to get the cover crop in by the 15th. The Crimson Clover took longer than I had anticipated last year to get going. Probably due to a later start. So I'll have 2 weeks to shred and till in the amendments prior to cover cropping.

Devv said:

Excellent plan! How do you keep the seeds for your cover crop watered while you get them established?

ronniedeb said:
They are nice looking poblanos! 

Thanks Ronan! Have you ever grown Poblanos?

After working 6 hours this morning I'm home processing/canning some Peach-Serrano jam... a cases worth of pint jars.
SANY0163_zps95d94af8.jpg

Next up tonight is at least a cases worth of Greg's canned salsa in quart jars. Recipe via Scott... thanks guys!

Looking really good, Rick!   Your pepper varieties are certainly geared toward food
and cooking.  Wish I was more talented in that area.  It's all I can do to get some
pods ground up for powder, or throw some pepper slices on a bbq steak!

You can come and cook for us anytime!

BTW, I notice Scotty's grow log is almost 100 pages.  Just sayin'   ;)

What's up, buddy?  I figured you for glogster of the year this season,
but you're slipping.  83 pages?  C'mon, man!    :lol:

maximumcapsicum said:
Looks really good Rick! Peaches go great in jams and salsas. I got to get back on the processing wagon... hopefully get some more sauces put together soon. I'm still a novice at this but hopefully I get something together. Just have to get the kitchen re-established (just moved to a bigger place.)

Thanks Adam... once you get established in your new place I'm sure you'll pick up where you left off with food processing. I take it you're in a new unit in the same Condo association? Good deal that you got a balcony with better sun even if it's smaller!

PaulG said:
Looking really good, Rick!   Your pepper varieties are certainly geared toward food
and cooking.  Wish I was more talented in that area.  It's all I can do to get some
pods ground up for powder, or throw some pepper slices on a bbq steak!

You can come and cook for us anytime!

BTW, I notice Scotty's grow log is almost 100 pages.  Just sayin'   ;)

What's up, buddy?  I figured you for glogster of the year this season,
but you're slipping.  83 pages?  C'mon, man!    :lol:

Thanks for the good vibe Paul!

I think it's all in where you spend your time, and Scotty's welcome to the title if he wants it. I'm not counting pages, just having fun and sharing what I'm doing as I go.  :)

I see your starting to get some major color in the garden.....it's just a matter of time before your back will be aching from the harvest(s).....lol
Man, that's a big pot of peach delight ! It's peach pick'in season just North of here in Michigan.....probably the same out your way.
Hope the red salsa turns out fine for ya.......that's what I save my San Marzano's for.........natural sweetness !

randyp said:
      With Scott going into a small hibernation period,Rick's page count will go higher. :party:

Thanks for the kind words Randy, but inshallah... ;)

PIC 1 said:
I see your starting to get some major color in the garden.....it's just a matter of time before your back will be aching from the harvest(s).....lol
Man, that's a big pot of peach delight ! It's peach pick'in season just North of here in Michigan.....probably the same out your way.
Hope the red salsa turns out fine for ya.......that's what I save my San Marzano's for.........natural sweetness !

The Peach variety that's most common around here is "Red Flame." There's an orchard just down the road a piece that mostly grows Apples, but also has a fair amount of yellow Peaches, white Peaches and Plums.

I don't have any San Marzanos growing this year, but will be using the Costoluto Genovese and Sacharnaya Sliwa Krasnaya tomatoes from Meatfreak to make your canned salsa recipe. I was too tired last night when the time came, but I'm definitely on it tonight!

Thanks for the good vibe Greg!

PaulG said:
Rick - do you plant your cover crop while the pepper plants are still going?

Yes I do Paul, but just the beds where the early veggies were planted, and I rotate the plots each year. The peppers are about the last plants left standing.

Took a few pics to show my Pepper progress after I got home from work today.

First Yellow 7 pod to begin ripening
SANY0164_zpsce40abe5.jpg

The flash hides the pale orange color on this Nabasco pod... the first to begin ripening as well.
SANY0165_zps2e4c4bef.jpg

First Aji Limon pod almost ripened
SANY0169_zpsfa74861b.jpg

3 fourths of today's MoA haul... some "B" grade pods, but no "A" grades yet.
SANY0166_zps066d6ff9.jpg

Some "non" pics of my Wife's Melon plants
SANY0168_zpseffc1f44.jpg

SANY0167_zpsdbb28dab.jpg

Have a great evening all!

Excellent plan! How do you keep the seeds for your cover crop watered while you get them established?

I use the wobbler sprinklers to get them going, the two will handle 2,500 square feet. Once it gets going they "create their own weather" catching the dew and watering themselves.

randyp said:
      With Scott going into a small hibernation period,Rick's page count will go higher. :party:

We most definitely are on different schedules, and Rick can cook!

Those MoA's are doing really well Rick! For some reason mine just sat there for the longest time, but now are doing well, and will go into the 20 gal bags. But they were planted in what I call the "dead zone", where the rehab didn't happen.

Keep it green buddy!

ronniedeb said:
Pods and Melons look great. As does your Peach Jam. Do you have a recipe that you can share for it, or for the other salsa one you mentioned? Always on the lookout for some tried and tested recipes! Thanks!

I'll have to work out the conversions for the salsa, but the peach jam recipe is simpler... I started out with a peck of ripe peaches, scalded them for 3 minutes, moved them into cold water to cool them enough to handle, peeled them, removed the stones and stems, and mashed them with a potato masher. I ended up with 6 liters of mashed fruit. Next, I stirred in 3.5dl of lemon juice to help dissolve the pectin and keep the mashed fruit from browning, Also stirred in 4 serrano chile pods, minced, and the powdered pectin a little at  a time to keep from forming lumps. When evenly mixed, I put the mixture in a large, heavy-bottomed pot on the stove and brought to a simmer. At that point I stirred in 450g of castor sugar and continued to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Transferred to clean, sanitized canning jars, leaving about 2cm of headspace and fitting the lids and seals. I processed the jars in a hot water bath canner for 20 minutes, then pulled them out and let them cool and dry off on top of a towel on the counter top overnight. I didn't say how much pectin to use because there doesn't seem to be an industry standard for it... just follow the directions on whatever type you buy for the amount of fruit you have to work with.  Hope this helps! :)

Devv said:

I use the wobbler sprinklers to get them going, the two will handle 2,500 square feet. Once it gets going they "create their own weather" catching the dew and watering themselves.

We most definitely are on different schedules, and Rick can cook!

Those MoA's are doing really well Rick! For some reason mine just sat there for the longest time, but now are doing well, and will go into the 20 gal bags. But they were planted in what I call the "dead zone", where the rehab didn't happen.

Keep it green buddy!

Cheers Scott! I'd wondered about how you'd water the cover crop since I couldn't see you doing it with the flooded ditches you used for the peppers.

Glad to hear the MoAs are finally starting to move for you Scott! If I wasn't already limited to one Manzano to OW this winter I'd be tempted to try it with the MoAs too.

I bet the flavor on the B-Grade MoA's is top notch none the less. They're delightful pods. I'm hoping my second "pulse" from the MoA's gives me a ton to play with. Need to pick up a blender and get saucin'. 

Do you actually plant the cover crops with the pepper plants? How late can a cover crop go in? I am wondering if green manuring would be a better strategy than using the farm's compost next year, with it's hearty dose of gorilla poo.

Drool drool drool buddy. My keyboard can't take no more! Time to cellophane wrap my keyborad lol Jam looks shweet buddy. Man, how I wish I could try them Nabasco's. I imagine they will go a nice rich orange colour when they are ripe. Wonder if they will be soft like frutescens or crunchy like nagas? Aji Lemons & MoA's look amazing... watermelons... damn that is all looking super tasty!

stickman said:

Interesting that the Takanotsume x Jalapeno cross has the prolific production of the Takanotsume and the pod characteristics of the Jalapeno. I'd call that a win even though you'd need a pastry bag with a thin tip to make poppers with them... ;)

I had a taste of the Thai Red Demon tonight, and find that it packs a lot more punch than the Takanotsume and lasts longer too! I ate a slice of one pepper and my lips and the tip of my tongue were burning for a good half an hour. The flavor was actually a little bit bitter, so I made Sambal Oelek with the rest of the peppers. I sliced them up and ground them in a suribachi with a pinch of salt, then gave them a squeeze of lime juice. It was still a bit bitter, so I stirred in a quarter teaspoon of sugar to iron out the rough spots. I bet it'll be good on a shredded pork taco with some rice and beans for lunch tomorrow. :drooling:

On the PL... It'll be interesting to see which way it turns out... white with a purple blush or orange. Whichever way it goes I'll keep you apprised my friend.

Here's a picture of my unripe pods, Rick (sorry for the late reply).
IMAG4958.jpg

The Jataka is starting to ripe, can't wait to try an ripe pod.
Excellent updates again, looks like you will exceed last season's harvest!

maximumcapsicum said:
I bet the flavor on the B-Grade MoA's is top notch none the less. They're delightful pods. I'm hoping my second "pulse" from the MoA's gives me a ton to play with. Need to pick up a blender and get saucin'. 

Do you actually plant the cover crops with the pepper plants? How late can a cover crop go in? I am wondering if green manuring would be a better strategy than using the farm's compost next year, with it's hearty dose of gorilla poo.

+1 on that Adam... I'm freezing my MoA pods as they ripen, and when I've collected them all I'm gonna make a mango sauce! :drooling:

No, I don't plant the cover crops together with the peppers because I have the IRT plastic mulch down and the peppers planted in that. I plant the cover crop in different places in the garden each year and rotate the spring plantings so I don't have the same crop in the same place 2 years running.  Typical crop rotation scheme has peppers, tomatoes and eggplants in the first year. 2nd year is squashes and root crops followed by  lettuce, greens and cole crops in the 3rd year. The 3rd-year crops ripen by midsummer, and after harvesting them I plant the cover crops, leave them through the winter and spade them under in the spring... then the cycle starts again. You want the cover crop to get well-established so it provides erosion control... I'd say about now is the time to get it in here in New England. You might want to talk to your extension agent to get the dates for your locality. http://extension.uga.edu/

"Green Manure" cover crops are cheaper than buying fertilizers, but they take time to grow out. Farmers with enough acreage to allow a crop rotation scheme are maybe better equipped for it than the small-time hobby grower who only has a hundred square feet to work with. For that, why not compost your kitchen scraps and use them in your garden? It's free, and as good as anything you buy. Throw in a few pails of composted manure along with your amendments in the spring and spade them all in... done!

Sawyer said:
Nice pot of jam.  Do you know what variety of melon that is?

Thanks for the good vibe Buzz! The melon is a freebie from Baker Creek Seeds in Missouri. http://www.rareseeds.com/ananas-d-amerique-a-chair-verte-/

PeriPeri said:
Drool drool drool buddy. My keyboard can't take no more! Time to cellophane wrap my keyborad lol Jam looks shweet buddy. Man, how I wish I could try them Nabasco's. I imagine they will go a nice rich orange colour when they are ripe. Wonder if they will be soft like frutescens or crunchy like nagas? Aji Lemons & MoA's look amazing... watermelons... damn that is all looking super tasty!

Thanks Lourens! Based on the green pod I sampled last week, I think they'll be thin-fleshed and crunchy like the Naga half of their parentage. I hope the ripening pod finishes by this weekend so I can pass on the info for ya. :)

The melon is an old Heirloom variety with pale green flesh so I think it's more of what we call a "Honeydew" melon here.

ronniedeb said:
Thanks a million for the recipe Rick!

No problem Ronan... enjoy!

meatfreak said:
Here's a picture of my unripe pods, Rick (sorry for the late reply).
IMAG4958.jpg

The Jataka is starting to ripe, can't wait to try an ripe pod.
Excellent updates again, looks like you will exceed last season's harvest!

Thanks Stefan... my pods look pretty much like you picture in size, shape and color. Interestingly enough... the small pods are a much darker purple at first... almost black. When they start to get some size to them, they lighten up as you show.

sp33d said:
Your aji lemons look great...I got some from meathead in a srfb last week and absolutely love the taste of those ...

You bet Tony... they're sweet and fruity in a citrus-like way with mid-range heat. Great for powdering and using for fish or chicken, or in salsa.  Cheers!

Kind of a wet, rainy morning today. Got a couple of new varieties that came in ripe...

First Yellow 7-pot
SANY0177_zps33064327.jpg

First Donne Sali pod... it really does look like a rat turd...
SANY0171_zps116b13f6.jpg

This morning's pull minus the Yellow 7 and an MoA... the large round pepper is a sweet Hungarian variety called "Pritamin". To the left of that in order are Chintexle cross, Donne Sali, Chintexle, Smokemaster's Pequin and a few Serranos.
SANY0170_zpsfd31e086.jpg

Have a happy hump day all!

Back