• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Thanks for posting the Peach Jam recipe Rick! We have 14 or 15 Peach trees (young) that we hope produce soon Now besides eating fresh we can put some up. Any recipes for Pears? A coworkers Dad who I shared a MoA and JA Hab plant with loaded us up with a box full.

Good info on the crop rotation, I do my best to move things around here too.

Congrats on the harvest too!

romy6 said:
Very nice Ricky Ticky !!!!!!! Garden is starting to explode  :dance:

Thanks for the good vibe bro'... the fuse is lit and the booster is starting to catch... still waiting for the main charge to go. ;)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Everything is awesome. ...
And please. No more pictures of your wife's melons... how's the gochus

Cheers DeNNiZ... It's a little too dark to take pics tonight, but the Gochu is starting to color up.

PaulG said:
All right, get ready to open the ripe pod  floodgates, Rick.  
No turning back now!
 Thanks Paul! Still waiting on the Lotah Bih, Bhuts and Pimenta Lisa to ripen, but I think I saw a little color on one of the Guwahati Bhut pods today... maybe I'll get a few ripe pods by the weekend if we get a little sun.

Devv said:
Thanks for posting the Peach Jam recipe Rick! We have 14 or 15 Peach trees (young) that we hope produce soon Now besides eating fresh we can put some up. Any recipes for Pears? A coworkers Dad who I shared a MoA and JA Hab plant with loaded us up with a box full.

Good info on the crop rotation, I do my best to move things around here too.

Congrats on the harvest too!

Cool! I'd love to have 3-4 peach trees here... 14-15 would be fantastic! Good luck with them!

I'm not actually a fan of pears... the flavor's okay but I can't stand the gritty texture. I understand they're good with chocolate or as a rustic pear tart. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Pear-Tarte-Tatin

maximumcapsicum said:
These look great Rick! Do you pull every morning?

I at least look at them every morning and afternoon Adam, and pull anything that's ripe. My pull tonight after work... Clockwise from the top left... Thai Red Demon, DST, Chintexle cross, Donne Sali, Takanotsume and Dedo de Moca.
SANY0180_zpsc9d80768.jpg

I tried one of the Donne Sali pods after supper... it's very small and seedy. Pretty typical Annuum aroma for a small Frutascens pepper. Flavor pretty unremarkable... not sweet but also not unpleasant. The heat takes a minute or so to fully kick in and will light you up for at least 15-20 minutes. Pretty much like the Pequins that way.
SANY0184_zpsf93efb39.jpg

I finally got that case of salsa canned up tonight... Any more tomatoes I pick will be going into hot sauces.
SANY0178_zps3a9b07b4.jpg

SANY0179_zps9d301664.jpg

Cheers all!

Loving the Annuum's and salsa Rick. I tried one of my green Sadabahar's the other day and it was the hottest Annuum I've grown. Can't wait for them to mature. When they mature I'll send you some pods to try.

Thanks for sharing

OCD Chilehead said:
Loving the Annuum's and salsa Rick. I tried one of my green Sadabahar's the other day and it was the hottest Annuum I've grown. Can't wait for them to mature. When they mature I'll send you some pods to try.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Chuck! I'll have to return the favor for sure. Do you make curries? I'll bet they'd be stellar in them. :drooling:
:drooling:

PeriPeri said:
That looks delicioso my friend! Yum, yum, YUM!

I'm partial to Huevos Rancheros Lourens, and ya gotta have some salsa to put on top! :party:

You and miz Annie wanted to know how the Nabasco came out... I picked my first ripe pod today. The pod dropped free from the stem at a touch which says Tabasco to me. I cut the pod in half and sampled the aroma... not too strong, and this time I didn't catch any of the floral notes from the Naga half of the parentage. The flesh was pretty thin, but very pulpy and juicy... also like a Tabasco. The taste was smoothly fruity and sweet at first, but turned somewhat bitter shortly after. Not a deal-breaker though as there were no off-flavors and a little sugar irons out the rough spots in sauce. Moderate heat went straight to the back of the throat and tongue, slowly creeping to the tip of the tongue and then the lips. It built for about 10 minutes with the sensation of needles poking the tip of my tongue and faded after about 20-25 minutes. Hiccups kicked in after about a minute and my nose started to run for 15-20 minutes. It looks like this pepper has most of the characeristics of the Tabasco for flavor and great pod production and the Naga King for size and long-lasting heat. This will make some great sauce!
SANY0191_zps24dd08f9.jpg

Looking at my true Tabasco bush this morning, I see my first ripening pod!
SANY0190_zpsee95bd23.jpg

The first of the Guwahati Bhuts is beginning to show some color...
SANY0187_zpsa2fb90d4.jpg

...but the next Chinense to ripen will be the Butch T.
SANY0194_zps3046ac87.jpg

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Everything is awesome. ...
And please. No more pictures of your wife's melons... how's the gochus

Here's the Gochu DeNNiZ... I'm starting to get ripening pods on it as well.
SANY0189_zpsabd5c599.jpg

SANY0188_zps22a77525.jpg

That's it for now. Have a great Friday Eve all!

Niiiiice one :D I may unwhittingly have come accross a crossed plant in my Tabsco seeds last season. I called it the Orange Aji - not knowing what it was. But looking at my taste test video... the similarity is striking and I suspect hwat I tried was in fact a Nabasco. Quite hot if I recall correctly but very tasty :)

Those Guwahati Bhuts look like they would bite you back!
Your whole grow looks great, Rick.

"The pod dropped free from the stem at a touch which says Tabasco to me."
My ripe Inca Lost pods just separate from the calyx easily as well,
as do the c. chacoense pods - I haven't seen that in my other
varieties as of yet, but it makes for much easier picking!

stickman said:

Thanks for the good vibe Buzz! The melon is a freebie from Baker Creek Seeds in Missouri. http://www.rareseeds.com/ananas-d-amerique-a-chair-verte-/

Cool.  I have some of those growing, too.  BCHS must have had a bumper crop last year.  I have two almost ripe; hope the animals don't find them... they got two of the Green Machine melons a couple of nights ago.

Edit:  aka "American green pineapple melon"

PeriPeri said:
Niiiiice one :D I may unwhittingly have come accross a crossed plant in my Tabsco seeds last season. I called it the Orange Aji - not knowing what it was. But looking at my taste test video... the similarity is striking and I suspect hwat I tried was in fact a Nabasco. Quite hot if I recall correctly but very tasty :)

Cool! If you got one of these plants last year, and I got one this year, maybe the traits will carry forward!

PaulG said:
Those Guwahati Bhuts look like they would bite you back!
Your whole grow looks great, Rick.

"The pod dropped free from the stem at a touch which says Tabasco to me."
My ripe Inca Lost pods just separate from the calyx easily as well,
as do the c. chacoense pods - I haven't seen that in my other
varieties as of yet, but it makes for much easier picking!

That's what I'm hoping for Paul... a Bhut that bites back. :fireball:
I'm finding that the pods on the Pequin-types also separate from their stems very easily when they're ripe... I suspect it's a trait of most wilds.

Sawyer said:

Cool.  I have some of those growing, too.  BCHS must have had a bumper crop last year.  I have two almost ripe; hope the animals don't find them... they got two of the Green Machine melons a couple of nights ago.

Edit:  aka "American green pineapple melon"

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Raccoon... they have a real sweet tooth. They always went after our sweet corn until Dad found a way to use crisco and cayenne pepper to keep them off.

Got a nice pull of Chimayo' pods today.. I think I'll string them onto a ristra to finish ripening, and dry them for storage after that.
SANY0195_zps20095e5b.jpg

Have a good evening all!

maximumcapsicum said:
Great pulls and processing pics Rick! Need more salsa though I think. How are you going to survive the winter with just one case?

I need to get saucin. Maybe Sunday I can throw some carrots, onions, and bhuts in the food processor.... With some sugar and vinegar of course.

Oh, I processed another case last week... now I've got 2 stored down cellar and had a quart left over. I used half of it in a meatloaf tonight with onion, garlic and the ripe Pritamin pepper I pulled yesterday. :)

Good morning and TGIF all! Looks like the Old Farmer's Almanac was dead wrong about its forecast for August... high temperatures here have been  in the 70s and lows in the 50s for the first half of the month, and don't look like they'll change for the rest.

A little more progress in the Bhut dep't... I'm hoping it ripens by Sunday.
SANY0196_zpsf1f64ded.jpg

This morning's pull...  mostly Chimayo's,..
SANY0197_zpsb47fcd7d.jpg

Strung up my Chimayo's in a south-facing window to ripen up fully before they go into the dehydrator.
SANY0202_zps08d17abd.jpg

... and a shot of whimsy... a Sphinx Moth we spotted that spent the night on my wife's Morning Glories. I've never seen one of these before.
SANY0199_zps029e3feb.jpg

Cheers!

Back