• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Plants are looking good Rick.

Help me understand. I'm a bit slow. You have peppers in the community garden that you water with a soaker hose now. (Great addition my the way, beats the heck out of hand watering). And you have peppers at home with the timer and irrigation system installed?

Did I get that right? How big is each garden?

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking good Rick.

Help me understand. I'm a bit slow. You have peppers in the community garden that you water with a soaker hose now. (Great addition my the way, beats the heck out of hand watering). And you have peppers at home with the timer and irrigation system installed?

Did I get that right? How big is each garden?

The Square-Foot veggie garden is in the common garden area, about 50 yards north of our condo units. It's 16x23 feet. Along the far side of that are 2 double rows of Annuums, Wilds and Frutascens peppers... call it 5x23 feet. The soaker hose is under the plastic mulch on those 2 double rows.

Behind the house in our backyard is a 4x10 foot raised bed with all Chinense varieties, and 3 five gal. airpots with MoA plants. I wanted them on the south side of the house and close in, so the house would act as a wind break to protect from that cold north wind in spring and fall, and provide a warmer microclimate, so the peppers would be able to have a longer season than they would out in the wide-open common garden with nothing as a windbreak. The drip irrigation line is for the raised bed, herb bed,  and airpots out behind the house.

This weather is just ridiculous. It's almost June! I think I'm a bit more buffered by the ocean than you are, we aren't dropping so low, but your highs are a bit above mine as well.

Awesome progress buddy! Man, professional plumbing and all... and them plants are looking super. I like the progress on the PeriPeri... it will accelerate from there. Naga King is also looking good but seems to have slowed a little. Roll on summer!

Jeff H said:
Sigh. We had that crap cool weather last week. Sorry to see it still lingering around. Oh well, not much you can do about it.

Have a great Thursday yourself.

True that... :rolleyes:

SeanW said:
This weather is just ridiculous. It's almost June! I think I'm a bit more buffered by the ocean than you are, we aren't dropping so low, but your highs are a bit above mine as well.

The last time I remember having weather like this was the spring/summer of '64... daytime highs in the 60s and nights in the 40s almost to July.

PeriPeri said:
Awesome progress buddy! Man, professional plumbing and all... and them plants are looking super. I like the progress on the PeriPeri... it will accelerate from there. Naga King is also looking good but seems to have slowed a little. Roll on summer!

Yeah, the King Naga has slowed a bit, but I still see new growth on it and it's beginning to bud up. I'm hoping for beaucoup pods from this baby! The big surprise was the Peri Peri. By most accounts, the Fruts need more warmth than the Annuums, but apparently not the Peri Peri! If the heat and flavor equal the Tabasco, then I know which one I'll be growing in future! :D

stickman said:
Yeah, the King Naga has slowed a bit, but I still see new growth on it and it's beginning to bud up. I'm hoping for beaucoup pods from this baby! The big surprise was the Peri Peri. By most accounts, the Fruts need more warmth than the Annuums, but apparently not the Peri Peri! If the heat and flavor equal the Tabasco, then I know which one I'll be growing in future! :D
I am eagerly watching to see your PeriPeri develop. They get really nice and bushy... nice fiery little pods they are - love them!

SeanW said:
Ah, yes, the summer of '64... I won't make any comments about my whereabouts that year ;)

'Nuff said... ;)
meatfreak said:
Plants look happy, Rick and congrats with the skirts dropping :D

PeriPeri said:
I am eagerly watching to see your PeriPeri develop. They get really nice and bushy... nice fiery little pods they are - love them!

While I'm waiting for ripe pods, I should research African Peri Peri sauce recipes... :drooling:

I'm not surprised the Chimayos are doing as well as they are... they were my first to pod up last year too. They grow them at over 7,000 feet in northern New Mexico on the east slope of the Rockies a little above Santa Fe.

PaulG said:
You can remember the summer of '64?

I actually can Paul. :)  Granted, I was almost 5 years old at the time, so I wasn't old enough for mind-altering substances... ;)

This rain is really helping things along... the Dedo de Moca is growing quickly and beginning to bud out.
SANY1358_zps2e8326f3.jpg

SANY1359_zps59c060d2.jpg

The same with the Poblanos
SANY1360_zpsb80c41a7.jpg

Lourens, the King Naga didn't grow much in the last few days because it forked at every branch and started seriously budding out.
SANY1356_zps874e8691.jpg

I managed a sharper picture of the new growth on the OW Douglah this morning... still pretty miniscule but a heartening sign that it's finally turned the corner and will eventually leaf out again.
SANY1355_zps2a82f8b9.jpg

I have 3 Tomatillo Verde plants set out... the cellar was so cold this winter that they germinated pretty far apart and didn't grow much down there. That's why they're such different sizes, but no doubt they'll pick up the pace now that they're established outside.
SANY1362_zpsb38cf676.jpg

TGIF all, and have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Hey Rick, them plants just keep on looking better and better! Gotcha on the Naga King... it will grow lots still and I am sure it will yield loads for you ;)

Back