• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

maximumcapsicum said:
Lookin' good Rick. Garden days are good days.

S'right brother! :dance:

I did my dawn patrol this morning and checked the min/max thermometer in the low row cover... It got down to 50 degrees, which was what the ambient temperature was. Some of that might be that I turned on the soaker hose for half an hour around 6pm yesterday. Today I'll reset the timer so instead of half an hour of watering at 6am and 6pm, it'll get an hour at 6am. Hopefully it'll retain a little more warmth overnight then.

Have a great Memorial Day all!

Are you measuring soil temperature inside the hoops? Even if the inside temps ultimately match of the morning ambient, a higher soil temp will be a big benefit. Also by blocking air exchange, the inside soil should at least slowly become a heat sink and be a moderating force on temperature around the plants.

JJJessee said:
Are you measuring soil temperature inside the hoops? Even if the inside temps ultimately match of the morning ambient, a higher soil temp will be a big benefit. Also by blocking air exchange, the inside soil should at least slowly become a heat sink and be a moderating force on temperature around the plants.
That's what I do in early spring when I put the sheet poly over the row cover frame. The problem is that even in early April on sunny days it can get well over 100 degrees if I leave the row cover buttoned up. The plants could probably take it if I watered enough, but then there's the cool-off after the sun goes down... by sunup it's only a few degrees warmer than ambient at best, and that could be at or just above freezing. Not good for tender seedlings. I only leave it buttoned up on sunny days when I have the row cover fabric on instead of the sheet poly. I haven't measured the soil temperature, but with the IRT on the soil and the sun shining outside, it's quite a bit warmer.

SeanW said:
Can you walk on that solar mulch? I can't get to the center of my garden without walking on it

It's only a plastic film Sean... the soil underneath would need to be very firm and you'd still have to be careful not to cut or distort the film. I'd say not a good idea. Why not lay out the film and set flat stepping stones on top of it?

Jeff H said:
Rick, the community garden looks real good so far and all the pepper pics show healthy plants. Keep it up.

Thanks Jeff! Good news on the MoA front... they got their first blossom today. :dance:
SANY1389_zps63c2501b.jpg

What's on the grill tonight is Jujeh Kebab... chicken marinated in yogurt, lemon, saffron, grated onion, minced garlic, my mixed Annuum powder and a Jalapeno. Served with basmati rice and a garden salad.
SANY1390_zps7d612c21.jpg

Cheers all!

Thanks Terry, and welcome to the zoo!  Do you have a garden going this year?

Here's the temp. info for the weekend under the low row cover Scott...

5/25                                                       HI 70 ambient/ 95 row cover
5/26  LOW 50 ambient/ 50 row cover -  HI 80 ambient/ 95 row cover
5/27  LOW 57 ambient/ 57 row cover

It looks like the system sort of "pressurizes" itself to the 95 degree mark during the day when the sun's out, and the excess heat goes out through the fabric, while at night it radiates the heat it built up during the day and cools down to ambient. I think the fabric slows this down a bit though...  I'll keep tabs on the numbers through the week and see if that changes with conditions.

stickman said:

5/25                                                       HI 70 ambient/ 95 row cover

It looks like the system sort of "pressurizes" itself to the 95 degree mark during the day when the sun's out, and the excess heat goes out through the fabric, while at night it radiates the heat it built up during the day and cools down to ambient. I think the fabric slows this down a bit though...  I'll keep tabs on the numbers through the week and see if that changes with conditions.

Yes I do Rick, although I am not sure I would call it a garden after joining this forum. I have plants both in the ground and I am also experimenting with fabric pots this year.

stickman said:

I believe JJJ mentioned about the hot soak occurring with the soil. It just has to be helping speed up the soil warming process.

Thanks for the stats!

It's only a plastic film Sean... the soil underneath would need to be very firm and you'd still have to be careful not to cut or distort the film. I'd say not a good idea. Why not lay out the film and set flat stepping stones on top of it?

That's what I figured. I ended up picking up some regular mulch, though the stone idea isn't a bad one, I'll have to remember that

OCD Chilehead said:
Things are looking great here Rick. The plants have nice green color to them. I love the variety of food you cook. Lots of different flavors going on there. Thanks for sharing.

Good on ya Terry... experimentation is what we all do here, and share what we've learned. Good luck with your garden this year. :)

Devv said:
I believe JJJ mentioned about the hot soak occurring with the soil. It just has to be helping speed up the soil warming process.

Thanks for the stats!

'Sright brother... IRT mulch is all about warming the soil to extend the season on both ends, but water conservation and weed suppression are happy side benefits. :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Things are looking great here Rick. The plants have nice green color to them. I love the variety of food you cook. Lots of different flavors going on there. Thanks for sharing.

You bet Chuck! I'm just having fun and sharing. Thanks for the good vibe!

SeanW said:

That's what I figured. I ended up picking up some regular mulch, though the stone idea isn't a bad one, I'll have to remember that

Glad you got it sorted Sean. Man, it's been a crazy spring hasn't it?! :rolleyes:

PeriPeri said:
Does licking my computer screen at 2am in the morning constitute breaking a diet? Bloody tasty though. Juje - sounds vaguely asian? is it thai?...

I wish you could have had some Lourens... it was tangy, smoky and savory all at once and the saffron gave it a unique flavor. The recipe is Iranian, so that would make it middle eastern I guess...  http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Jujeh-Kabab I used just Lemon juice and tweaked it a bit with my Gochu powder and a miced Jalapeno.

Boy, yesterday was cold and overcast, and it didn't rain much. I'm ready for summer dammit! :confused:

Here's the running talley for temps inside and outside the low row cover...

5/27  LOW 57 ambient/ 57 row coverHI 80 ambient/ 110 row cover
5/28  LOW 48 ambient/ 50 row cover HI 53 ambient/ 62 row cover
5/29  LOW 42 ambient/ 44 row cover

Have a great Thursday all!

I popped underneath the low row cover to see if things had progressed in the last couple of days and I see more pods and flowers. :dance:

The flowers are sticking and the Peri Peri is just moving ahead... whatever the weather!
SANY1392_zpsdd7dfc4b.jpg

Flowers on the Dedo de Moca
SANY1393_zps8440380a.jpg

First pod on the Hungarian "Pointed Hots"
SANY1394_zpsa9f089f9.jpg

... and flowers on the other variety
SANY1402_zps0a20b5b3.jpg

Flowers are finally out on the Dilley Street Tamwork
SANY1391_zps58ece419.jpg

... and the Serrano Tampiqueno
SANY1400_zpsb86258c8.jpg

New growth on the Donne Sali, and it looks much healthier
SANY1398_zps0a63baa4.jpg

Pods are growing on the Jalapenos
SANY1396_zps1971d854.jpg

... and Anaheims
SANY1397_zpsc55920e0.jpg

...and Chimayos
SANY1399_zpsa8ff5064.jpg

That's 10... I've got a couple more for later. Cheers all!

Thanks guys! :)

Almapaprika
SANY1395_zpsd3313711.jpg

OW Douglah showing new leaves a bit better.
SANY1404_zps3f799c3c.jpg

This year's Manzano from seed
SANY1403_zps06dc7984.jpg

... and the OW Manzano greened up..
SANY1407_zpsedbac7c1.jpg

The Bhuts in the raised bed out back haven't grown much except the one monsker Naga King... I'm gonna have to get some more row cover fabric to put over the frame on the raised bed to warm them up...
SANY1406_zpscce8c04b.jpg

SANY1405_zps091b18da.jpg

and a "non" to finish up... my largest Tomatillo Verde is starting to put out blossoms though it may be awhile before the others catch up to it and start making blossoms of their own. ;)
SANY1401_zpsecc8acce.jpg

Cheers all, and TGIF tomorrow!

Back