• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

stickman said:
Glad they came through OK for you Chuck! There's 3 varieties of Gochus. The short fat ones are the Lady Hermit heirloom variety from Kitazawa Seeds. They're sweet and fairly mild for Gochus. The long, skinny ones that look slightly twisted are the ones called Saeng Cho. They're an heirloom variety collected from a farmer's market in Korea by BootsieB. They have more heat and a bit of sweet fruity-ness. The long, fat, slightly curved Gochus are a Hybrid variety from Evergreen Seeds called Korea Winner. I've been growing them the longest. They are similar to the Saeng Cho for flavor and heat. All are great dried and ground or flaked, but they can be eaten fresh if you don't mind the thin flesh and thick skin on the pods. The rest you nailed... MoA Scotch Bonnets, Red Bhuts and King Nagas. Cheers!
Thanks again, Rick.

Looking forward to giving them a try. I'll fire up the deydrator and try some flake. I also may try to grill a couple.

roper2008 said:
Your pepper plants are so healthy looking.  Looks like you will have lots to harvest later.  I know you will put them to good use, being the chef that you are.  
I will not be growing to many hots next year, as my tolerance is not that high.  Just the usual Jalapeño, cayenne and  Oaxaca types.  I need to get rid of 
a lot of my seeds.  Looks like a giveaway may be in order soon.  

Thanks for the good vibe Linda! Hey, no problems here with you concentrating on the peppers you love best. Which Oaxaca varieties do you think you'll grow? I'll always grow Poblanos and Jalapenos myself. Whenever I tried to grow Pasillas in the past, they always ended up getting Blossom End Rot. Now that I've discovered biochar and Azomite, and installed drip tape irrigation in the raised beds,  I think I'll plant Pasillas and Chilhuacle Negros next year too. Cheers!

Devv said:
Some really nice peppers there Rick ;)

Thanks again for the ones you sent my way. LB tried the Jam this morning and loved it. She came up with the same vote as I did; nice sweet peach taste with just the right amount of pepper heat to compliment the jam ;)

I think she may well turn into a pepper lover :P

How cool is that! :party:  Y'know, I sent you enough MoA Bonnets that if you want to, you and LB could make a batch of your own. I think I used one Bonnet pod per two quarts of Peaches and a standard Peach jam recipe. Our peach crop got wiped out this year, but I still have half a case of jam from last year. 

I know LB said not to grow Cayennes since they're such small, fiddly things, But what does she think of growing Gochus? They're easily 3 times the size of most Cayennes.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks again, Rick.

Looking forward to giving them a try. I'll fire up the deydrator and try some flake. I also may try to grill a couple.

Why not... think you'll try making poppers with some (after saving the seeds?) Cheers!

Picked a little over a gallon's worth of Gochus this morning and a double handful of Pequins/Chiltepins. Loaded them into the solar dehydrator.  After raking off the dried peppers from the day before and adding Chuck's SFRB I still only filled 3 of the 11 trays.
SANY1724.JPG

Have a great weekend all!

Devv said:
We powdered the Gochu's this evening; and I agree they can definitely replace the Cayennes. The powder was finger licking good!

Very cool Scott! What was your assessment of the heat? Did LB try it too?

I had to work part of the day today, so no big harvest... I'll pull that later in the week. I did get a pleasant surprise today though... I bought what were labeled as Poblanos when I transplanted them, and they've turned out to be Mulatos now that they're ripening! Jalapenos are ripening up too.
SANY1727.JPG
SANY1726.JPG

Right now I'm dancing attendance on the charcoal grill... my wife says she'd prefer the Eggplants I picked as Baba Ganouj. :drooling:

stickman said:

Very cool Scott! What was your assessment of the heat? Did LB try it too?

I had to work part of the day today, so no big harvest... I'll pull that later in the week. I did get a pleasant surprise today though... I bought what were labeled as Poblanos when I transplanted them, and they've turned out to be Mulatos now that they're ripening! Jalapenos are ripening up too.
attachicon.gif
SANY1727.JPG
attachicon.gif
SANY1726.JPG

Right now I'm dancing attendance on the charcoal grill... my wife says she'd prefer the Eggplants I picked as Baba Ganouj. :drooling:

Yes, LB tried it too. She said, "perfect for chili". We're no way near where you are with the Korean dishes ;) Heat range I would say is just below Cayenne powder. It's not as sharp. We just now both sampled it again. The heat lasts for a nice long time, without being overpowering. We both agreed that the powder is more usable, because we can add more to a dish, and that adds more flavor. I saved the seeds and they will be planted for the spring crop. The cool thing is they're annuum's and they will love the Texas heat!

Thanks again for sending them. ;)
Since we went to Puerto Rico this spring we've become addicted to the Alto Grande coffee, which we buy via Amazon. Next week when we buy more we'll order the pressure cooker, and work on jam making projects as harvests allow. Now to find a way to stop the coons from stealing all the Peaches!

Devv said:

Yes, LB tried it too. She said, "perfect for chili". We're no way near where you are with the Korean dishes ;) Heat range I would say is just below Cayenne powder. It's not as sharp. We just now both sampled it again. The heat lasts for a nice long time, without being overpowering. We both agreed that the powder is more usable, because we can add more to a dish, and that adds more flavor. I saved the seeds and they will be planted for the spring crop. The cool thing is they're annuum's and they will love the Texas heat!

Thanks again for sending them. ;)
Since we went to Puerto Rico this spring we've become addicted to the Alto Grande coffee, which we buy via Amazon. Next week when we buy more we'll order the pressure cooker, and work on jam making projects as harvests allow. Now to find a way to stop the coons from stealing all the Peaches!

Excellent! That's about what I thought too, but it's nice to see it independently confirmed.

I think you'll find the pressure cooker handy to have around... it's not only good for canning, but it's great for making stock, bone broth and rice. It only takes 7 minutes at high pressure for long-grain white rice and 17 minutes for long-grain brown rice. It doesn't replace braising if you have the time, but It's quite a time-saver for weeknight meals when you don't. :)

randyp said:
Rick I just love your setup and ideas.Dried Gochus(check)

Gochus are a staple for me Randy, they really are. :) I love the solar dehydrator... it knocks about $30 a month off my electric bill during harvest time and it doesn't heat the house up.

Devv said:

Rick sent me some Gochu's, dried they make a great powder for dishes the whole family can eat. It has the heat, but it's not crazy, so you can add more to increase the flavor, without going over the top.

I'm really pleased with it as a compliment to any dish.

Cheers Scott! Most Koreans do like their food spicy, and they'll add Gochugaru or Gochujang to it by the tablespoon... by the cup when making kimchi. Sun-dried is better than oven-dried... accept no substitutes! ;)

Hi all!
     the end of the work week has certainly been busy here... free time has been in short supply since the last couple of days have been rearranged by some last-minute fill-ins at work. A big shout out to a couple of THP members that have been very generous...

Brother Randy sent a box of pepper love with some huge pods and a few mysteries!
SANY1731.JPG

Also, Brother Dale swapped MFRBs with me... Gochus for a good cross-section of what he's growing... There's some truly glarly pods in there and it looks like the smoker and solar dehydrator will be in play this weekend for sure!
SANY1728.JPG

Thanks so much guys! It looks like self-immolation is your goal as well... ;)

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Glad those pods got to you safely Rick!

Thanks again Dale... there's just an insane amount of heat in that box! Are all the pods with stingers Primos or did you throw a few Reapers in the box too? :flamethrower: :mouthonfire:   My wife and I had a half-dozen of the smaller Chinense pods chopped into egg n' cheese sammies this morning. I'll have to go back through your glog to ID them. :)

Devv said:
I love it!

You just can't beat the people here on the THP :dance:

'Yall are the best!

S'right brother! The generosity of the folks at THP is just over the top! :)  In that vein... I also got a box of pepper love from brother Terry yesterday! All extremely mild varieties but with good flavor... they'll all go into my powder blend this year to contribute to the overall flavor and to offset some of the heat in the supers. Thanks brother Terry... you rock!
SANY1733.JPG

A quick shout out to brother Randy... Dude! That "not" Chocolate Scorpion is :censored:  nuclear! I probably shouldn't have sampled it on an empty stomach... lol! The aroma and flavor were good. None of the "burnt plastic" flavor that I've gotten from some of the supers like the Butch T. or Barrackpore. It's too hot to add to food directly, but would make a great addition to powder or sauce. Great job!

Checking out the garden this morning I found a couple of ripe Pusa Jwalas. I've never grown these out before so I wasn't sure what to expect. The pods are long and skinny, and kinda kinky... ;)
SANY1734.JPG

It hasn't rained in a few weeks and I haven't watered to encourage the pods to ripen, with the result that they're coming in almost all at once! Add in all that pepper love that's come in over the last couple of weeks and the dehydrator is gonna be running at full capacity for the next couple of weeks at least! Next weekend is the Franklin County Fair, and I'll be exhibiting my chiles for the 3rd straight year. I hope to do as well as I have the other two.

Take care all, and have a dynamite holiday weekend!

stickman said:

Thanks again Dale... there's just an insane amount of heat in that box! Are all the pods with stingers Primos or did you throw a few Reapers in the box too? :flamethrower: :mouthonfire:   My wife and I had a half-dozen of the smaller Chinense pods chopped into egg n' cheese sammies this morning. I'll have to go back through your glog to ID them. :)

S'right brother! The generosity of the folks at THP is just over the top! :)  In that vein... I also got a box of pepper love from brother Terry yesterday! All extremely mild varieties but with good flavor... they'll all go into my powder blend this year to contribute to the overall flavor and to offset some of the heat in the supers. Thanks brother Terry... you rock!
SANY1733.JPG

A quick shout out to brother Randy... Dude! That "not" Chocolate Scorpion is :censored:  nuclear! I probably shouldn't have sampled it on an empty stomach... lol! The aroma and flavor were good. None of the "burnt plastic" flavor that I've gotten from some of the supers like the Butch T. or Barrackpore. It's too hot to add to food directly, but would make a great addition to powder or sauce. Great job!

Checking out the garden this morning I found a couple of ripe Pusa Jwalas. I've never grown these out before so I wasn't sure what to expect. The pods are long and skinny, and kinda kinky... ;)
SANY1734.JPG

It hasn't rained in a few weeks and I haven't watered to encourage the pods to ripen, with the result that they're coming in almost all at once! Add in all that pepper love that's come in over the last couple of weeks and the dehydrator is gonna be running at full capacity for the next couple of weeks at least! Next weekend is the Franklin County Fair, and I'll be exhibiting my chiles for the 3rd straight year. I hope to do as well as I have the other two.

Take care all, and have a dynamite holiday weekend!
The red pods with stingers are mainly primos, but I did put a couple of reapers in there. The peach ones with stingers are Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion and Judy's Peach Scorpion.

The red pods with stingers are mainly primos, but I did put a couple of reapers in there. The peach ones with stingers are Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion and Judy's Peach Scorpion.

Ah, thanks. :) Are the small, round pods in the ziplok baggie Mini-Rocotos? Also, which are these?
SANY1741.JPG

Pulled about 3 gallons worth of Gochus today. It was a good haul!
SANY1735.JPG

I have a pint jar about a third full of mixed dried Pequins and Chiltepins... add this lot and it'll be about three quarters full.
SANY1736.JPG

The small round pods I out in the ziploc are charapita roja.

The other ones you sent a pic of are inca drop.

What did you think of those tiny frutescens I put in that ziploc? Have you ever seen smaller chile pods?

Cool! I tried some Charapita yellows that I got from stc3248 a few years ago... I've never tried the red ones.

Inca Drops eh... they remind me of the Chiero Recife. Are they Baccatum or Chinense?

The little Fruts look like Donne Sali... are they? I grew them a few years ago, and added them to the mash along with Tabascos and Lotah Bih pods when I made a fermented Louisiana-style hot sauce.

Trident chilli said:
Best of luck at the Fair Rick hope they like the gochus .... great photographic update some truely lovely pods

Cheers John! Think you'd be interested in some Gochu seeds? I think they'd grow well outdoors in your area.

Well I see you'll be mas busy the next few days ;)

I'm in total agreement here. Two of us were sampling Randy's pods, this one was the third. We both ate a small slice. "Yummy pepper", a few seconds later..."OMG!" Jesus, who will always take a Reaper from me and nibble on it all day long, said "I gotta go", "I'm good". LOL. It hurt both of us. THE first pepper that burned from the lips to every part of me all the way down. I NEVER had a pepper burn all the way into my stomach. Luckily it was a "it only burned once pepper" :rolleyes:

stickman said:

Cool! I tried some Charapita yellows that I got from stc3248 a few years ago... I've never tried the red ones.

Inca Drops eh... they remind me of the Chiero Recife. Are they Baccatum or Chinense?

The little Fruts look like Donne Sali... are they? I grew them a few years ago, and added them to the mash along with Tabascos and Lotah Bih pods when I made a fermented Louisiana-style hot sauce.

Cheers John! Think you'd be interested in some Gochu seeds? I think they'd grow well outdoors in your area.
Yeah man, the charapita roja, which I'm about 95% sure that's what they are, came from a bunch of seeds a friends mom brought me from Peru when she came to the States to visit. I had originally thought they were pipi de mono, because they were mixed amongst pipi de mono seeds, but when the plant grew out, it gave me those pods. The only market pepper from Peru I know of that looks like that would be the charapita roja, which looks exactly like those. My friend Facebook messenged her with pics of the pods a few days ago, so I'll have a definitive answer on that soon.

I got the inca drop seeds from GIP on a trade last year, and they are Baccatum. They only downside with that plant is that it puts off 100's of pods at all times. It is ridiculous the pod output of that thing. The pods are small, so picking them all can be very tedious. The flavor is good though. I pickled a jar of them, amd it came out really well.

I honestly have no idea what the name of those frutescens is. I had a bunch of wild seeds from SA I tried to germinate last summer, and none did after 2 months. For the fun of it, I dumped all of the seeds into one cup and left it on my windowsill. With complete neglect of that cup, about 2 weeks later, this plant popped up. I paid no attention to it, and didn't do much to keep it alive, aside from water it from time to time over the winter and Spring. It survived my neglect, so I figured I might as well see what it's got in a 5 gallon root pouch this Summer. It is a Frutescens, and the plant is getting pretty big, with a very ligneous trunk and bottom branches. Nano pods though.

Back