• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

A lil late to the party but.... I'm glad to see someone else appreciates the Gochu. I've been growing them the last 4 years after a member here turned me on to some seeds along with some Hybrid Kim-Chi. As you mentioned many posts ago these have a excellent earthy flavor when dried (i applewood smoked some too) and I can't imagine not having them anymore. I use dried flakes in a lot of beef dishes along with my occasional scrambled eggs when I don't use my scotch bonnet/Jam Hot Choc combo.
 Just dehydrated about 250 of them over the weekend.
Anywho.....glad to see someone else likes them.

OhioHeat.still mia.

Devv said:
I see you've been very busy!

Finally got the pressure cooker; now we're eying projects ;)

You bet Scott! Hopefully we'll be coming into the home stretch in the next week or two. Cool that you got your pressure cooker... I love mine for cooking rice, making stock or tenderizing tough cuts of meat on weeknights. It does a great job with brisket, though it comes out very differently than low and slow in the smoker... no bark or "burnt ends" but the same creamy mouthfeel and meaty flavor. Enjoy!

tctenten said:
Keeping busy with the processing....that has been taking up my spare time too. Autumn olive is something new to me, heading over to Google now.

Cool... If you look around, I bet you'll find lots of them. The ones I picked were still a bit tannic, another couple weeks to ripen will help them lose that "puckery" quality.

OhioHeat said:
A lil late to the party but.... I'm glad to see someone else appreciates the Gochu. I've been growing them the last 4 years after a member here turned me on to some seeds along with some Hybrid Kim-Chi. As you mentioned many posts ago these have a excellent earthy flavor when dried (i applewood smoked some too) and I can't imagine not having them anymore. I use dried flakes in a lot of beef dishes along with my occasional scrambled eggs when I don't use my scotch bonnet/Jam Hot Choc combo.
 Just dehydrated about 250 of them over the weekend.
Anywho.....glad to see someone else likes them.

OhioHeat.still mia.

Hi Ed, welcome to the zoo! Do you make kimchi as well as using Gochugaru when you cook?

The overnight lows here didn't get down quite as much as predicted. It's 38 degrees outside at 6am, not the 35 degrees they predicted. The next ten nights should be in the 40s and 50s, so the beat goes on, at least for a while. Have a great week all!

Hi all! I'm still squeezing in time to process my pepper harvest wherever I can, to the exclusion of catching up on everybody else's glog, but production seems to be slowing down here as the weather cools.It's hard to believe that tomorrow is the end of September and at best we've only got a couple of weeks of the growing season left.  I'm looking forward to taking a break for a few months before starting the next year's seeds. Since the weekend I've made 3 different batches of hot sauce... a Tomato-based sauce with smoked Trinidad Scorpion peppers. another Tomato-based sauce that has a good amount of Bhuts in it, and a tropical fruit sauce with Mango, Pineapple and Bhuts.
IM002835.JPG

Looks great, Rick. Great labels. Did you get the bottles from Fillmore? I love the mango/pineapple sauce. I never use to like sweet sauces until I tried Heartbreaking Dawns Cauterizer. Did you ever get a chance to try that sauce I sent ya? The stuff I make know is 3x hotter. Anyways, congrats on a good season. Hope you have a great weekend.

Trident chilli said:
Love the labels Rick ....

Cheers John... modern technology makes it a lot easier for those of us that aren't artistically inclined... ;)

Devv said:
You've done really well this season for sure!

I'm sure the winter break will be a good thing, I for one am looking forward to it. ;)

Thanks for the good vibe Scott, and I hear ya 'bout wanting a break from the garden for a while... I've gotta get back to my exercise regimen but it ain't gonna happen until I have the harvest all in and processed.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks great, Rick. Great labels. Did you get the bottles from Fillmore? I love the mango/pineapple sauce. I never use to like sweet sauces until I tried Heartbreaking Dawns Cauterizer. Did you ever get a chance to try that sauce I sent ya? The stuff I make know is 3x hotter. Anyways, congrats on a good season. Hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks Chuck! :)  I got my glass bottles and caps from a local brewing supply store. The heat-shrink bands I got from SalsaLady last year. I just checked out the Fillmore website this week though, and will probably get any of that stuff I may need in the future from them. The prices are right... I just hope they don't give us a s***wing on the shipping.
     Thanks for reminding me about the sauce you sent this spring... I put it away in the pantry for later, but I pulled it out and opened it up just now so I could try some on tonight's supper. I like the fruity sweet-and-sour flavor and the heat level. I can take more heat, but where you had it pegged was sitting very well with me... not a burn exactly, but more of a glow. :)  I can see this in marinades, glazes or tomato dishes. I made an omelette for breakfast this morning that had roasted, caramelized onions and cherry tomatoes in the filling, and your sauce would have gone extremely well with it. I hope you have a great weekend as well!

Sounds good, Rick. Thanks for the input on the sauce. Yeah, that batch got a little tame after it was said and done with. The sauce I have now can light you up just opening the bottle. I do like the allspice. Ive added it to the last few batches. I think the last place I found bottles was on eBay or Amazon. It was cheaper then Fillmore with free shipping. It just depends on who's selling. I need to buy some more. I'll let you know what I find.

moruga welder said:
Great to see you had a greats season RICK !  That beer is much deserved .  frank

Cheers Frank! I got one last good picking from the Gochus, though a few more may trickle in if the weather allows...
SANY1791.JPG

I may get a few more Bhuts despite the plants dropping most of their leaves, but I expect I'll get enough MoA Bonnets to make a batch of Flaming Pumpkin sauce before the frost hits, and the Aji Pineapple plants just keep chugging along. :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Sounds good, Rick. Thanks for the input on the sauce. Yeah, that batch got a little tame after it was said and done with. The sauce I have now can light you up just opening the bottle. I do like the allspice. Ive added it to the last few batches. I think the last place I found bottles was on eBay or Amazon. It was cheaper then Fillmore with free shipping. It just depends on who's selling. I need to buy some more. I'll let you know what I find.

A little Allspice can go a very long way... I think the most common mistake people make when preparing Jerk rub is to put too much in it. I tried the Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale and thought they used too much as well.

I wonder if there's any info on sauce bottle suppliers in the Vendor's Vault? :think:

stickman said:

Cheers Frank! I got one last good picking from the Gochus, though a few more may trickle in if the weather allows...
attachicon.gif
SANY1791.JPG

I may get a few more Bhuts despite the plants dropping most of their leaves, but I expect I'll get enough MoA Bonnets to make a batch of Flaming Pumpkin sauce before the frost hits, and the Aji Pineapple plants just keep chugging along. :)

nice !    

Devv said:
Seems like the Gochus are great production peppers! I hope the seeds I saved germ, as it's now a go to pepper for me. The powder is great!

Cheers Scott! They've been a staple for me for over 30 years. It's nice to see Korean food becoming more accessible in recent years, but it makes it harder to find the best sun-dried gochugaru unless you grow your own. Glad you and LB like 'em. :)

Ricky buddy I am back to Scotts and your glog.I hate being a pod pusher.I now have my cold smoke setup for ferments and dried pods in full swing.7ft plants can be a pain in the A$$. ;)

my wonderful daughter and I Friday between the pepper rows just before heading to the courthouse to "VOTE"
DSCF0801.jpg

randyp said:
Ricky buddy I am back to Scotts and your glog.I hate being a pod pusher.I now have my cold smoke setup for ferments and dried pods in full swing.7ft plants can be a pain in the A$$. ;)

my wonderful daughter and I Friday between the pepper rows just before heading to the courthouse to "VOTE"

Ay-yi-yi, you've surely got your chile grow dialed in this year Randy! Once I finish processing the pods you sent in your MFRB, look for a few incoming bottles of sauce from them. Cheers!

Finally got a minute to check in on your glog - wow!

Congrats on the success you had at the fair - well
deserved, Rick.  

Your pepper products look astounding - good on ya
for making a great variety of stuff with the pods.  Looks like it
has been a great season for you, you will enjoy that couple of
months off before seeding time!

PaulG said:
Finally got a minute to check in on your glog - wow!

Congrats on the success you had at the fair - well
deserved, Rick.  

Your pepper products look astounding - good on ya
for making a great variety of stuff with the pods.  Looks like it
has been a great season for you, you will enjoy that couple of
months off before seeding time!

Cheers Paul! Life has been pretty hectic here lately, but things should slow down as soon as the frost hits. The Autumn color is beginning to really come out and this Sunday and Monday the overnight low temperatures are predicted to fall into the 30s. I guess that means Saturday is the day to get in one last harvest and pot up the chile plant that I'll overwinter inside. I got about 3 pounds of seed Garlic to plant in the community garden where I planted the chiles this year. I'm hoping the "stinking Rose" will encourage the Pepper Flies to move on next year, but we'll see.

I cooked up 3 cases of "Flaming Pumpkin" sauce last night.
IM002836.JPG
IM002837.JPG

I think I like it about the best of the half-dozen sauces I've made this season. All told I made 7 cases so far and will make 2 more with the last of the MoA Bonnets.

Thank God tomorrow's Friday!

Back