• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

PaulG said:
Good call on the transplant, Rickster!
Your plants look like they are responding
well to your TLC, brother   :cheers:

Our weather is in kind of a sucky late winter / early
spring pattern here, but not as bad as the dump
you guys are getting.  I feel your pain, buddy!

:point:  Maybe it means a great growing season.
Cheers Paul, and welcome back! Looking at the weather radar, I see you're getting a little cyclonic action yourself, though maybe not as intense.

stickman said:
Cheers Paul, and welcome back! Looking at the weather radar, I see you're getting a little cyclonic action yourself, though maybe not as intense.  Thanks, Rick... Yeah, we're stuck in a low pressure rain system for a couple of weeks.  Ground here is just about saturated with water, as per usual for the PNW in early Spring!

Good on ya to upgrade the shoes on those gals ;)

Sorry about the weather, hopefully it's the last blast!

I'm giving the "Kurts" AKA Kurtovska Kapijas another round of a Tejas grow season. they're almost 18"s tall, so maybe I'll get some good pods set before the heat hits here. LB loves the Urfa Biebers, she uses them for poppers, they may have crossed with something by now, but are a really good pepper. Do yours have a little heat? Just a tad?

Devv said:
Good on ya to upgrade the shoes on those gals ;)

Sorry about the weather, hopefully it's the last blast!

I'm giving the "Kurts" AKA Kurtovska Kapijas another round of a Tejas grow season. they're almost 18"s tall, so maybe I'll get some good pods set before the heat hits here. LB loves the Urfa Biebers, she uses them for poppers, they may have crossed with something by now, but are a really good pepper. Do yours have a little heat? Just a tad?
Glad to see your babies in tbe dirt Scott! If I remember correctly, the Urfa Bibers did have a mild heat. The Turks grow them for making a purple pepper powder that sorta looks like the middle-eastern spice called sumac.   http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/spice-hunting-urfa-biber-isot-pepper-turkish.html

Hungarian Szegedi-type Paprikas are all up, making 6 for 6. :)
0314171820.jpg

Just waiting on the Hungarian Pimientos to germinate and I'm done sowing peppers for the season.

OCD Chilehead said:
Soil mix looks great. I like the pots. Plants are going to do well.

Thanks Chuck!

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
This is looking like a great glog! Your plants are doing great - could you give an overview of your feeding process as his far? Looking forwards to your future developments! :)

Sure thing Nev... I water with diluted liquid nutes once a week. It's a combination of fish emulsion, seaweed emulsion, and a few General Hydroponics products. Bio Thrive, Rapid Start, Cal-Mag, Black Diamond (humates) and Armor Si (potassium silicate). I think the biggest reason for the growth in cool conditions is the lighting in the grow box downstairs. I have a t5 and two t8 flourescents.

Trippa said:
Looking great Rick!! Hope that snow melts away like a distant memory soon enough !!

From your mouth to God's ear Tristan... :)

stettoman said:
Hey Rick, are these "Kurts" usually so yellow coming up? Two came up the other day, TOTALLY yellow.

They have a tinge of green after two days, but wow, those were spooky yella!
Not in my experience Eric, but I turn on the grow lights over them as soon as I see them hooking up. If that doesn't do the trick after a few days I'll dissolve a teaspoon of Epsom Salt in a half gallon of water and water with that for a few days to a week.

Obviously that's unnecessary if you're already using a balanced regimen of nutes...

stickman said:
Not in my experience Eric, but I turn on the grow lights over them as soon as I see them hooking up. If that doesn't do the trick after a few days I'll dissolve a teaspoon of Epsom Salt in a half gallon of water and water with that for a few days to a week.

Obviously that's unnecessary if you're already using a balanced regimen of nutes...

My starts are getting good old fashioned cyclic full on the windowsill sunlight. All of them but the Kurts came up green, generating my concern. I've had yellow cotyledons before, just not so entire.

They're doing fine, standing proud, and less yellow today. But I gotcha on the Epsom.

stettoman said:

My starts are getting good old fashioned cyclic full on the windowsill sunlight. All of them but the Kurts came up green, generating my concern. I've had yellow cotyledons before, just not so entire.

They're doing fine, standing proud, and less yellow today. But I gotcha on the Epsom.

As far north as you are, you oughta look into setting up a shop light Eric. For seven months of the year we get low-angle sunlight that's just not energetic enough to give the plants much of a boost. Supplementing the light doesn't have to be an expensive proposition. A four foot, twin tube shop light with 6500k light aspect tubes will definitely fill the bill without breaking the bank. They draw a little more power than LEDs, but not all that much more. Check out OMRIs tutorial Light 101 in the grow tech thread. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25876-article-light-101/

You've probably heard that you can kill your plants quicker with kindness than abuse, and it's mostly true. If you want to read up on nutrient balancing, a good read is "The Intelligent Gardener *** Growing Nutrient-Dense Food" by Steve Solomon. https://growabundant.com/organicalc-logan-labs/
He explains how each different soil has the ability to hold onto only so many plant-available nutrients... expressed as TCEC or Total Cation Exchange Capacity. Plants need nutrients to come in the correct proportions to avoid nute lockout. For example, too much calcium in your soil could prevent your plants from getting enough Iron even if there is an adequate amount present.

Rick I totally agree on your lighting tips.I wrap clear around the sides(with black plastic) to build up humidity as best I can.With florescent bulbs you are close to the plants and they don't run hot.

randyp said:
Rick I totally agree on your lighting tips.I wrap clear around the sides(with black plastic) to build up humidity as best I can.With florescent bulbs you are close to the plants and they don't run hot.

Y'know Randy, you could use aluminized mylar and do the same as you're doing with the black plastic, but it would also reflect the side-scatter back to the plants. That's what I did in my cellar... it's pretty much a constant 54 degrees down there, but I made an enclosure with half-inch styrene foam that had the aluminized mylar facing on one side, and put that on the inside to reflect light back onto the plants. The waste heat from the light ballasts warm the enclosure a little bit too.

Thanks for the links Rick, they should come in handy.

Right now the "low intensity" sunlight seems to be keeping my upstairs plants at least complacent. My dirt day is practically in June, so though I want these plants ready to flower and pod up by then, I also don't have room for proliferation. As much as I love seeing lush growth I need to slow them for a few more weeks when I can actually let them spend time in the shade outside. My plants downstairs get a full 16 hours of LED lighting each day, and growth is imperceptable. The few I expose to this "low intensity" sunlight are podding up pretty good for the 11+ hours they get. I did keep my light suspension gear up in case I need it.

As for ferts, right now I add 1/16th teaspoon of CNS17 per gallon of water, and watering happens less than once a week on the big girls. I'm waiting for the Geonerd to mail me a bat....

I know my methods induce some wincing, but so far my plants are doing well. I'm the type who hates to fix what hasn't proven to be broken.

stettoman said:
Thanks for the links Rick, they should come in handy.

Right now the "low intensity" sunlight seems to be keeping my upstairs plants at least complacent. My dirt day is practically in June, so though I want these plants ready to flower and pod up by then, I also don't have room for proliferation. As much as I love seeing lush growth I need to slow them for a few more weeks when I can actually let them spend time in the shade outside. My plants downstairs get a full 16 hours of LED lighting each day, and growth is imperceptable. The few I expose to this "low intensity" sunlight are podding up pretty good for the 11+ hours they get. I did keep my light suspension gear up in case I need it.

As for ferts, right now I add 1/16th teaspoon of CNS17 per gallon of water, and watering happens less than once a week on the big girls. I'm waiting for the Geonerd to mail me a bat....

I know my methods induce some wincing, but so far my plants are doing well. I'm the type who hates to fix what hasn't proven to be broken.

OK, fair enough... take what you need and leave the rest. ;) :)

Being I'm a tight arse. THE cheapest reflective material I have found is dollar store shiny wrapping paper. Which is Mylar aka like a mirror. We bought 5 rolls for a dollar a piece, purple on the wrap side, mirror like on the back. If the name Mylar is on it, the price is 10x!

Devv said:
Being I'm a tight arse. THE cheapest reflective material I have found is dollar store shiny wrapping paper. Which is Mylar aka like a mirror. We bought 5 rolls for a dollar a piece, purple on the wrap side, mirror like on the back. If the name Mylar is on it, the price is 10x!

I've seen the wrapping material you mention maybe once. It's easier to find at the Hydroponic shops, but if you really want cheap... potato chip bags turned inside-out are mostly aluminized mylar, and free if you know where to look. ;)

The first-round seedlings have gotten big enough that I clipped the Chinense varieties to force axillary growth (branching). I left the Aji Oro alone since its leaf canopy is open enough to let in the light needed to grow out new branches.
0315172056.jpg
0315172056a.jpg

Back