• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

stickman said:

Cheers D, and the same to you! :)  Are you planning a glog this year?
Yes sir. I have one I started it's just buried deep because I haven't updated it yet :) Most of my seed won't be started until the last week of march to 1st week of April. Cheers 

Looking good Rick!
I've started sowing some stuff and waiting Forbing Naga seeds from Gary as well :) they will probably take the place of some of the unwilling :)

Have a nice weekend

Datil

stickman said:

Cheers Scott! I'm gonna be a while catching up to you. ;)  Think you'll experiment with the IRT plastic mulch early on to get a jump on the season?

I think I need too! I'm hoping I have the time, so much family stuff going on here. None bad, but time, I need more! This time of year it's hard on me to be outside with the Mountain Cedar at all time highs; that stuff is pure evil, no more pneumonia for me!

FreeportBum said:
Yes sir. I have one I started it's just buried deep because I haven't updated it yet :) Most of my seed won't be started until the last week of march to 1st week of April. Cheers 
That's cool... You certainly do well with your in-ground plantings, but I'm surprised you start them so late. Chinense and Pubes too? Good luck with this year's grow!

Datil said:
Looking good Rick!
I've started sowing some stuff and waiting Forbing Naga seeds from Gary as well :) they will probably take the place of some of the unwilling :)

Have a nice weekend

Datil
Most excellent! I've never grown them before either, but Gary's description of good flavor and adequate (but not extreme) heat intrigued me. We'll have to compare notes.

Devv said:

I think I need too! I'm hoping I have the time, so much family stuff going on here. None bad, but time, I need more!
I hear ya 'bout the time crunch Scott.. The heck of it is that it gets even tighter as we approach dirt-day... Lol! That's why my ultimate goal is to set up my raised beds to be no-till.

Devv said:

This time of year it's hard on me to be outside with the Mountain Cedar at all time highs; that stuff is pure evil, no more pneumonia for me!

I missed this the first time around... do you have allergies to Mountain Cedar pollen? I feel for ya guy... my wife also has allergies to most of the hardwoods we have around here. Pollen, fruits and nuts. Some more than others... she can eat tree fruit in small amounts if it's cooked, but nuts are deadly, especially Hazelnuts.

Do you have a local source of supply for the IRT plastic mulch? If not, you can order it from Johnny's Seeds in Maine. https://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/mulches-and-landscape-fabric/solid-plastic-polyethylene-mulch/solar-mulch---4-x-50-9738.html

It's been 2 weeks now, and three of the five varieties I sowed have popped.
0127171827.jpg

0127171827a.jpg

0128170553_Burst05.jpg

The first to pop has put a taproot down through its plug and into the hydroponic medium.
0128170616c.jpg

Allergies, oh yeah! I should be on shots, but I have reactions to them, which can lead to an early dirt day for me!

No food allergies, and watch the wife! Food allergies are super scary. This year we added air purifiers here in the house at my docs recommendation. They help big time, as they give the body down time, so the next day isn't started in allergy overtime. Mountain Cedar is what tipped the scales 2 years ago and almost ended me. Today wasn't bad outside, and 4-6 weeks we should be good.

+1 on what Masher said, I see a strong plant there ;)

Devv said:
Allergies, oh yeah! I should be on shots, but I have reactions to them, which can lead to an early dirt day for me!

No food allergies, and watch the wife! Food allergies are super scary. This year we added air purifiers here in the house at my docs recommendation. They help big time, as they give the body down time, so the next day isn't started in allergy overtime. Mountain Cedar is what tipped the scales 2 years ago and almost ended me. Today wasn't bad outside, and 4-6 weeks we should be good.

+1 on what Masher said, I see a strong plant there ;)

Ool... That's another reason to put up the wind blocking fence around your place. Maybe the most important one. Stay healthy! :thumbsup:

On the Aerogarden front... I see one of Alana's Aji Oro seeds is starting to put out a radicle. :dance:  I was really hoping to get at least one viable plant from that variety this year.

Ricky, I'm home.I am back from my self-imposed ban and the first thing I did was catch up with your and Scott's happenings.I can't follow all the wonderful grows so besides you and Scott I will probably add Chucks Rocky Mountain grow.I take great interest on what you think are the positive and negative things with the aero garden.Next year I may have one to get my babies going. ;)

randyp said:
Ricky, I'm home.I am back from my self-imposed ban and the first thing I did was catch up with your and Scott's happenings.I can't follow all the wonderful grows so besides you and Scott I will probably add Chucks Rocky Mountain grow.I take great interest on what you think are the positive and negative things with the aero garden.Next year I may have one to get my babies going. ;)

Hey... Randy's in the house! I'm getting really good vibes from the plant started with your seeds. That's the one with the really long taproot this early. I'll definitely be posting the ups and downs of seed starting with the Aerogarden but the "jury" won't return a verdict until harvest season I'm afraid.One thing I notice is that the folks at MiracleGro have really overpriced the units and consumables for this system. When I've used up the nutes included with the original equipment I think I'll follow Blister's recommendations for blending up my own.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63498-blisters-2017-led-coco-grow/#entry1409586http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63498-blisters-2017-led-coco-grow/#entry1409586  
I think his addition of soluble Silicates is a good idea too if the chile seedlings can utilize them. I'll have to read into it more on that line.

One of Alana's Aji Oro seeds was the first to hook up today. Sadly, Gary's Forbing Naga seeds are just starting to discolor without sprouting, so I'll have to go with seeds from my grow last year instead. I replaced the two dud cells with seeds from Trident Chilli's Scotch Brain and Trippa's Alphanerdz Douglah. Round three will be The MoA Scotch Bonnet seeds from the flower sequestering experiment I did last year, Papa Dreadie Select seeds from Trident Chilli and some kind of Bhut or Naga variety. Cheers all!

Sorry to hear about the Forbing seeds, they sound like they would be a great pepper to grow. I'm growing my OP seeds of the Naga Brain again this season, F5, should be F6, but I lost the plants I had in 2015. They go in the now mature RCW beds I started last winter.

Good luck with the bonnets! They're among my favorites.

Yup, bummer about the Forbing Nagas but the show goes on... Good thing you had seeds from the year before to keep your Naga Brains going.   I love the Bonnet types too, they've got decent Habanero-type heat and a great Mango/citrus flavor that goes well with Peaches and tropical fruit for saucemaking and Jerk. Plenty of seeds for those for sure!

Alana's Aji Oro should fully extend today or tomorrow, and that's it for round one.
SANY1977.JPG

Have a good week all!

Hi all!
     The Aji Oro is finally underway, so it's time to start rotating the round one plants into pots with a peat/coco growing medium once they catch up to Randy's TS/Bhut cross. I want to do it while the seedlings are still pretty small to avoid damaging the roots when pulling them through the plastic cage that holds the sowing plug.
SANY1978.JPG

SANY1979.JPG

Time to set up the growing shelves to hold the 10x20 trays to hold the pots, and on to round two!

Back