• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Superhot Sim said:
I'd of stuck a couple of Gochu in them pickled onions Rick, cos that's how we roll. [emoji6] your not go cold this winter lol.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Cheers Simmie! Already on it my friend. ;)
post-5842-150756441426_thumb.jpg

stickman said:
English pub-style pickled onions. We've gotta have 'em when my Wife makes her Christmas meat pie!
1009171151.jpg

Supper tonight is slow-cooker pork loin with apples and galangal.
2e93025038ef51ea59cf138fe52adbd0.jpg

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Mmmm, pickled onions. Delish. And that meat Rick, I'm droooling over here and I ate a pretty big sandwich just before. Wouldn mind giving that piece from the oven a taste :)

Superhot Sim said:
Good work that man. Gives even the best pickled onions a lift. [emoji106]

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
S'right brother! It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that zing!
tsurrie said:
Mmmm, pickled onions. Delish. And that meat Rick, I'm droooling over here and I ate a pretty big sandwich just before. Wouldn mind giving that piece from the oven a taste :)
You've got a seat at the table if you ever make it over here Uros. [emoji106]

Supper tonight... Pork with apples and galangal, steamed butternut squash with sauteed scallions and sweet red peppers, and cranberry-apricot chutney.

7f0521561ccba0cf428509cd1da64b21.jpg

Well done with all the sauces and foodies Rick!

Now the pickled onions are a new one for me. The Gochu's are the perfect choice. We use them in many dishes. And I like that the peppers are not bothered by the bugs like the rest are. They just keep plugging along ;)

Devv said:
Well done with all the sauces and foodies Rick!

Now the pickled onions are a new one for me. The Gochu's are the perfect choice. We use them in many dishes. And I like that the peppers are not bothered by the bugs like the rest are. They just keep plugging along ;)
Cheers Scott! I think other cultures eat more pickled foods than we do here in America. Probably because we're used to cheap and plentiful electricity to preserve our produce by refrigeration. Our grandparents did a lot more home canning and pickling I think.

Glad the Gochus proved resistant to your critter infestations... Just more love to spread...[emoji3]

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
:drool:

Man, my mouth is watering big time!

All the kitchen action is great, also good to see you got a decent harvest in the end!

But seriously, Yum!
Cheers Nev! I've been home sick with a cold since Wednesday but feeling a bit better today. I'll miss the trip to Pennsylvania with my Wife but she'll ride down to our friend's wedding with some of her women friends and won't have to drive there and back alone.
We got our first light frost last night, but I covered the chiles with a floating row cover and it looks like they did fine. It'll warm up for a few nights and cool off again for longer this time, so it looks like I'll be pulling the plug on my season the end of next week unless the extended forecast changes drastically.
I smoked all of my ripe Douglahs yesterday in preparation for drying and powdering. They're in the solar dehydrator with the Forbing Nagas, Scotch Brains and Randy's Nuclear Option Bhuts.
Have a good weekend all!
9000bcf18ce173cdd5feb7156ceeb451.jpg
5aacd7219683d23bc99df0687b24154f.jpg

Devv said:
I hope you're feeling better Rick.

Another great season winding down my friend!

You did it right!
Cheers Scott! I was pretty pessimistic in June, but you're right, in the end I guess I played my hand as best I could and pulled about a six-pound harvest from fifteen plants. I learned a bunch of new stuff too, which is even better. [emoji106]

One of the new things I learned is a way of collecting seeds from heirloom tomatoes that's quicker and easier than the traditional "fermentation" method... just scoop the jelly and seeds from your chosen over-ripe tomatoes and smear them onto the unprinted side of a brown paper grocery bag and put it in the sun for a day. The water evaporates and you can easily scrape the seeds up from the paper. They're still a little tacky at that point, but I spread them out in a saucer on a sunny windowsill and they dry completely in another day.
17490a5c2a7ae013465bf89bb03ec7bd.jpg

I felt well enough this afternoon to cook up enough hot sauce to fill two cases and the four empty slots in a third. If I'm gonna bottle more sauces I'm gonna hafta get more bottles... [emoji6] Thirteen cases total so far. [emoji2]
57df92cf76f21da8bf2531fea4339664.jpg

I sampled a slice from the middle of an MoA pod today, and as soon as my mouth went back to neutral I tried a slice from a P. Dreadie pod for comparison... I think the P. Dreadie had the better flavor but the MoA had a lot more heat! I'll have to do it again tomorrow in reverse order to see if it still holds true then.
Hope you're all having a good weekend.

Woah! Hella lotta sauce you got there!

Do you use that much to yourself in the off season, or do you sell/give it away?

If its not the latter option, I'll eat my hat!

Very nice colours they are too - really like the purple one, guessing its got some plums?

Sad to hear the season is wrapping up, but I guess it has to happen at some stage... good to see you got some good harvests, 6 from 15 is an achievement for sure!

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Woah! Hella lotta sauce you got there!

Do you use that much to yourself in the off season, or do you sell/give it away?

If its not the latter option, I'll eat my hat!

Very nice colours they are too - really like the purple one, guessing its got some plums?

Sad to hear the season is wrapping up, but I guess it has to happen at some stage... good to see you got some good harvests, 6 from 15 is an achievement for sure!
Cheers Nev! You're right, I use maybe three cases myself. Some I give as Christmas presents and swap with THP members, the rest I trade with local restaurants for credit.
I call the purple sauce "Moose Breath" Hot Sauce. It's made with citrus, blueberries, scallions, a mix of TS Yellow and Scotch Bonnet pods, and a bit of Maple syrup. It's moderately hot and very fruity.

stickman said:
I felt well enough this afternoon to cook up enough hot sauce to fill two cases and the four empty slots in a third. If I'm gonna bottle more sauces I'm gonna hafta get more bottles... [emoji6] Thirteen cases total so far. [emoji2]
57df92cf76f21da8bf2531fea4339664.jpg

I sampled a slice from the middle of an MoA pod today, and as soon as my mouth went back to neutral I tried a slice from a P. Dreadie pod for comparison... I think the P. Dreadie had the better flavor but the MoA had a lot more heat! I'll have to do it again tomorrow in reverse order to see if it still holds true then.
Hope you're all having a good weekend.

I'm in total agreement with your analysis of the 2 bonnets. The P. Dreadie IMHO is better for eating fresh with food as you cam lump on a lot more of it.

That's a whole lotta sauca you gotta! ;)  Just how much of that do you go through in a year?

Devv said:

I'm in total agreement with your analysis of the 2 bonnets. The P. Dreadie IMHO is better for eating fresh with food as you cam lump on a lot more of it.

That's a whole lotta sauca you gotta! ;)  Just how much of that do you go through in a year?

S'right brother, I gotta you sausa... [emoji12]

I give away half a case to family at Christmas and use maybe three cases myself.

Looking good brother Rick. I love pickled products. Ive never tried the pickled onions. I like to pickle eggs with superhots and spicy garlic. Ive got some eggs that have been sitting since July. They are perfect. I add some whole allspice for a unique taste. I use allspice a lot.

Looks like you had a productive year. Congrats on the harvest. Glad to see the solar dehydrator in use.

Take care.

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good brother Rick. I love pickled products. Ive never tried the pickled onions. I like to pickle eggs with superhots and spicy garlic. Ive got some eggs that have been sitting since July. They are perfect. I add some whole allspice for a unique taste. I use allspice a lot.

Looks like you had a productive year. Congrats on the harvest. Glad to see the solar dehydrator in use.

Take care.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck! Spicy pickled eggs sounds great, but we don't have any layers. I made so many sauces this year that the dehydrator didn't get much of a workout except for drying herbs. I'll be planting many more chiles next year now that the pepper maggots have (hopefully) moved on.
The extended forecast has predicted another week of good overnight temperatures, so I'll wait 'til next weekend to pull the plug on the chiles.
A big shout out to brother Mike, who agreed to a sauce swap. Thanks big guy... You rock!
1017171213.jpg
1017171736.jpg
1018171758.jpg

Back