• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Today's "getting ready for winter" project... Starting a batch of Fire Cider with horseradish, bhut chile, ginger, turmeric, onion, garlic, the juice and zest of a couple oranges and lemons and unpasteurized cider vinegar. I'll let it work for 4 weeks and press it out with my tincture press. I should end up with a bit over a gallon, and after squeezing it, I'll stir in just enough honey to iron out the rough spots.
1017171208.jpg

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Today's "getting ready for winter" project... Starting a batch of Fire Cider with horseradish, bhut chile, ginger, turmeric, onion, garlic, the juice and zest of a couple oranges and lemons and unpasteurized cider vinegar. I'll let it work for 4 weeks and press it out with my tincture press. I should end up with a bit over a gallon, and after squeezing it, I'll stir in just enough honey to iron out the rough spots.
attachicon.gif
1017171208.jpg

That looks a lovely batch Rick sounds awesome

Trident chilli said:
That looks a lovely batch Rick sounds awesome

Thanks John! We both swear by it during the cold and flu season. It's even good as a flavored vinegar in salad dressing!

Tonight we're eating Greek peasant food... Olive and rosemary bread with tyrokafteri, a simple Cretan lentil-vegetable soup and Greek salad with Kalamata olives, dolmas and pickled Tuscany peppers. :drooling:   The tyrokafteri is made with mostly feta cheese, a little plain Greek yogurt, evoo, red wine vinegar, a ripe bell pepper and the last of my rosemary peppers... all pulsed together in a food processor and used as a dip or spread.
     Cheers!

Hi all, finally got caught up from the "end of the week crush."

Thursday after work I came home to find a box o' pain from brother Randy in Iowa. Thanks buddy! I've tried some of the yellows, a skinny annuum and the red rocoto so far... The rest look really gnarly!

The week's respite we got from the weather resulted in an unlooked-for harvest of about 2-3 pounds.

Supper last night was chicken enchiladas suizas made with the last of our tomatillos, roasted with onions and garlic, and fresh cilantro... All from my garden. The chiles in the sauce were frozen mulatos from last year, punched up with some of my jalapeno chipotle powder. Things have cooled off enough that I'm back to baking bread too.

I started the garden cleanup in preparation for planting garlic yesterday. It's mostly done. When it stops raining I'll finish the cleanup and put down some horse manure and plant.

Have a great weekend all!
1026171316.jpg
dad18a06fa918b44326fa6879b129269.jpg
1029171227.jpg

a40850f84e6f8e0e5acbdf9e19ab7631.jpg

qandeel said:
hey stickman

Do you add any pepper products to the bread recipe? Just curious  :D   
ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Oooh, good question!

I've had Jalapeno bread at a café once, it was served with their chilli con carne. Really nice, freshly made.
Hi guys, no, I don't add pepper products to my bread dough but I do add them to the egg and cheese sandwiches I make with the bread, and of course there's scotch bonnet-peach jam and nutella sandwickes too... [emoji6]

There's a lunch counter in town that makes bacon-jalapeno scones that are excellent! I'll have to see if I can find a recipe...

Rick Rick Rick
Fire cider buddy [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

When I first read it I thought no dont do it by friend , keep it simple juice from a apple is a gift from Mother nature he he he.

I have a cider press, a orchard on my doorstep which I have sole use of for making scrumpy. [emoji6]

Chilli Cider what could go wrong buddy. ?
Million dollar question how much chilli lol we talking just enough to tickle taste buds or we talking Chocolate Bhutlah and brew a cider bomb. [emoji6]
Its time for picking [emoji519][emoji520][emoji519][emoji520][emoji519][emoji520] watch this space brotha Rick.
Gonna brew a chilli wine as well. You want recipe ?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
Rick Rick Rick
Fire cider buddy [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

When I first read it I thought no dont do it by friend , keep it simple juice from a apple is a gift from Mother nature he he he.

I have a cider press, a orchard on my doorstep which I have sole use of for making scrumpy. [emoji6]

Chilli Cider what could go wrong buddy. ?
Million dollar question how much chilli lol we talking just enough to tickle taste buds or we talking Chocolate Bhutlah and brew a cider bomb. [emoji6]
Its time for picking [emoji519][emoji520][emoji519][emoji520][emoji519][emoji520] watch this space brotha Rick.
Gonna brew a chilli wine as well. You want recipe ?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

This is more of a winter tonic Sim. Warming herbs and spices, and natural vitamin C in raw cider vinegar which is probiotic. It really keeps the tubes clear and supports the immune system. It's useful for me and essential for my Wife. To answer your question... I only use one Bhut in the mix.

I remember Scrumpy fondly from my trip to Devon and Cornwall in the early 80s. We have lots of apple orchards around here, and hard cider and apple wine are currently all the rage. If you want to share both recipes, that'd be appreciated. Cheers!

Essegi said:
Oh Rick,all looks so awesome... Those sauces!!!!

Hey, Giancarlo's in the house! How's it going guy?! We haven't heard from you in a while... hope you and your garden have been well? What have you been making with your harvest lately?

Against all of my prior experience, the chiles this year will actually survive into November! That's unheard of here for chiles out in the open. I covered them a couple of times, and will again tonight, but it may also be due to planting them against the south side of the house to make a warmer micro-climate and feeding the plants the potassium silicate, which made them a bit hardier. Who'd a thunk it? :)

Well, we finally got our first hard frost of the autumn season last night. I covered the chiles, so they should be mostly OK. I'm hoping for another pull of the TS yellow and Douglah pods and then I'll be ready to pull the plug on 2017's chile grow. It's certainly been a wild ride. I just have to finish cleaning up the raised beds, plant the garlic and process a couple more batches of hot sauce and I'll be ready to take a break through the holidays before starting the 2018 growing season. Cheers all!

Supper tonight was Pasta ala Norma with onions, garlic, dried basil and the last of the eggplants... All from my garden. I added a can of whole San Marzano tomatoes (crushed) to the sauce, tossed it with bucatini pasta and garnished with lots of grated Pecorino Romano cheese since we can't get Ricotta Salata here.

We'll still get a few pickings of swiss chard, and the scallions and lacinato kale should last until Christmas. Otherwise, the veggie garden is done here and tonight's meal was its last hurrah. ☺
1101171940.jpg

Nice looking spaghetti and all the other cuisine. You're rocking at those recipes... Congrats on a good season and be sure to take a break over this last part of the year.
The frost started also here during this last week, so for sure we are in the same latitude. More or less :) I yet need to start cleaning my garden though,you seem to be doing that by the way. You are organized my friend. I'm more like "naah, I can do that tomorrow"...

tsurrie said:
Nice looking spaghetti and all the other cuisine. You're rocking at those recipes... Congrats on a good season and be sure to take a break over this last part of the year.
The frost started also here during this last week, so for sure we are in the same latitude. More or less :) I yet need to start cleaning my garden though,you seem to be doing that by the way. You are organized my friend. I'm more like "naah, I can do that tomorrow"...

Thanks Uros! It'll sure feel good to take a break for a while. Next year may be a bit different... I picked up a book on growing vegetables through the winter that I intend to read during my down time this winter and put into effect next year.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13139375-the-year-round-vegetable-gardene

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Bravo!

Well done with your season, you've achieved splendid things!

Enjoy the break while it lasts, because it'll fly past... ;)

Great stuff! :onfire: :party:

Cheers Nev, and right back at ya! :)  It's nice to see your enthusiasm and your own garden doing so well.

karoo said:
Nothing tastes like " from my garden"  ! :dance:

S'right brother! My feelings exactly. :thumbsup:

It looks like the preliminary results are in for the "Land of the Giants" Scotch Bonnet growing challenge. I'm pretty chuffed to have done so well, and credit soil prep and weekly feedings with the results.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62887-land-of-the-giants-2017-biggest-bonnet-competition/page-11#entry1502575
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62887-land-of-the-giants-2017-biggest-bonnet-competition/page-10#entry1490533

Back