• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

bpiela said:
Rick, is it easy to set the temp in one of those Aerogardens for best germination?

Not Really Ben... there's no thermostat to set the temperature of the hydroponic solution. I was thinking of getting a small glass immersion heater like they make for aquariums to put in the access hatch, but as I have it set up in our living space it's always at room temperature anyway. We keep it around 70 degrees in the house. I do have the Aerogarden set up on a top shelf of my grow "tent" with a couple of daylight CFL bulbs immediately underneath to illuminate the transplants on the shelf below. The waste heat from the CFL bulbs warms the solution in the Aerogarden to body temperature.
0210171851.jpg

Glad to see the continued germination ;)

LB's sister said they had 14.5"s on Long Island of the white rain. Her husband works for the MTA in the city and somehow made it to work and back in his little rice burner during the blizzard.

Devv said:
Glad to see the continued germination ;)

LB's sister said they had 14.5"s on Long Island of the white rain. Her husband works for the MTA in the city and somehow made it to work and back in his little rice burner during the blizzard.

Cheers Scott!

Yeah, they got whacked out on the coast. We only got 6-8 inches of powder snow this far inland but it's blowing and drifting today. More on the way Sunday. Glad my seedlings are warm and toasty inside with us. ;)

stickman said:

Not Really Ben... there's no thermostat to set the temperature of the hydroponic solution. I was thinking of getting a small glass immersion heater like they make for aquariums to put in the access hatch, but as I have it set up in our living space it's always at room temperature anyway. We keep it around 70 degrees in the house. I do have the Aerogarden set up on a top shelf of my grow "tent" with a couple of daylight CFL bulbs immediately underneath to illuminate the transplants on the shelf below. The waste heat from the CFL bulbs warms the solution in the Aerogarden to body temperature.
attachicon.gif
0210171851.jpg

Well, it is working great! 

I'm always happy to see the first signs of side branching in my seedlings... especially this early in the game! Randy's Scorpion cross has only grown out 4 nodes and it's already beginning to work on side branching. :party:  I'll let it develop a bit more and clip the primary node after the fifth node grows out to force it to bush out. There's still plenty of time to train it along those lines before hardening off and planting outside around mid-April. Cheers!
View attachment 46204

Attachments

• 0211170906a.jpg
    0211170906a.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 58
Looks like everything is progressing nicely. I've never topped any plants before, but may give it a go this year. Pretty interested in the aerogarden as well. Did you figure out how to give it some heat to help with germination?

Neil

Blister said:
Looks like everything is progressing nicely. I've never topped any plants before, but may give it a go this year. Pretty interested in the aerogarden as well. Did you figure out how to give it some heat to help with germination?

Neil

I was thinking of using a small glass immersion heater like they use in aquariums for tropical fish Neil, but the 70 degree room temperature seems to be just fine for germination. On average it seems to take a week for that, which is just fine with me. On a side note... the waste heat from the CFL bulbs I have underneath the shelf the Aerogarden is set up on warms the hydroponic solution to body temperature. (see post #102 ) I don't see any need to improve on my current results.

Came home from work this afternoon to find a bubble envelope from brother Charles (Spicegeist) with seeds for some incredible chiles. Thanks Charles... you rock!
0211171251_Burst01.jpg

I immediately got some Naga King seeds going in the Aerogarden.
0211171307.jpg

randyp said:
Looks great Rick.Its day 6  and I have 4 seeds that have popped.I can't wait till my germination stage is over.I worry about everything until they pop.

I hear ya Randy! I'm always antsy 'til the babies pop, but it's a thrill to see them growing while it's snowing outside. Sending good vibes your way for germination.

Devv said:
Congrats on the NK seeds Rick ;)
Cheers Scott! Charles is one of the most generous folks on THP. We're lucky to have so many like him here.

I'm really happy with the growth I'm getting after adding Potassium Silicate to the liquid nutes the plants are getting. It doesn't make for larger or faster growth, but the leaves are darker than I've seen before at this stage, and they have a really healthy sheen to them. I've read that it's because it helps them resist fungal and bacterial infection due to a more robust cuticle. It's also supposed to make the plants sturdier and more able to deal with the pests that chew on the leaves.
0212171113.jpg

The Piment Cabri is certainly a vigorous grower. It's only grown out two nodes beyond the cotys and it's already beginning to work on side branching.
0212171114.jpg

After ruminating over the seeds that Charles sent, I decided I just couldn't stand it and started some C. Galapagoense seeds. I definitely have an interest in growing the wilds!
0212171117.jpg

Cheers all!

stickman said:
Sorry 'bout the glitch... still learning how to use my new "smart" phone. Sometimes it seems like it's smarter than me... :rolleyes:
Looks like you're getting it figured out, but I've found Tapatalk works pretty good for posting pics from your phone.

stickman said:
Sure Ben. Here's a little light reading... https://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plastic-mulch-and-row-covers

I got mine from Johnny's Seeds in Maine. I don't know who else sells it, but there must be other sources. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/mulches-and-landscape-fabric/solid-plastic-polyethylene-mulch/solar-mulch---4-x-50-9738.html

Hope this helps.
Great looking plants.

Thanks for the info. Great read. I'm going with the plastic mulch. Very excited. Any downfall to using it in my clayish soil? I would think, I wouldn't have to water as much. Might have to make some adjustments.

Back