• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Stillmanz Devils Tongue Jerk Sauce

Stillz's Jerk Sauce Review -- Sandwich

OK, from a highly dubious amateur palate. Here goes...

So anyways, I'm doing a double tasting and this is part one!

Chicken Sandwich -- Jerk Sauce as a Sauce applied to sandwich

Ingredients:
Wholemeal bread
Mayonnaise (egg based)
Fresh Tomato
Iceberg lettuce
Colby Cheese(like cheddar, but better)
Cooked chicken

100_2793.jpg

100_2792.jpg

The flavours were excellent
opening the bottle, I could definately smell fruit, in particular a citrus smell. My wife gagged at the all too familiar scent of chilli. I breathed in deeper, then coughed.

Mixed with the other ingredients this warm chicken "sandy" was a true winner. I guess the bread, mayo and cheese knocked off the heat a bit, but there was a lingering heat on the tongue and lips, while the flavour of the sauce melded well.

I like it alot!!

(This is going to be the base review for futher reviews for me, so thats why the numbers may be a bit low -- I gotta have room to move!!)

Heat 7.5/10 I know it's up there
Taste 7 /10 Good with chook!
Mouth feel 7 /10 I really like the mustard(??) seeds in it.
After burn ?? /10 Ask me tomorrow

Next, will post later, is a MARINATED chicken and pasta dish. The Jerk sauce has been liberally applied to the chicken thigh fillet, and will marinate for about 3 hours in the fridge. I will then fry it, cook pasta and add the pasta to the pan at the latter stages of cooking to coat it in the jerk sauce. (Yes, the chicken and jerk sauce will both cook at a high-ish temp so that I don't get food poisoning.)

The dog photo made me nervious to read the review lol... the citrusy smell is the devils tongue/Fatalii pepper its self, that smnell is just unmistakable, really hits you in the face.
the pasta dish should be interesting ( I just hope the flavours hold up to the extra cooking) would be good in creamy seafood pasta too..

bentalphanerd said:
Personally I like to read some Hunter S Thompson & get a skinfull of cheap liquor to get in the mood. Can you tell? :lol:

Bent,
That first part was for you

RS

PS who is hunter s thompson?

stillmanz said:
The dog photo made me nervious to read the review lol... the citrusy smell is the devils tongue/Fatalii pepper its self, that smnell is just unmistakable, really hits you in the face.
the pasta dish should be interesting ( I just hope the flavours hold up to the extra cooking) would be good in creamy seafood pasta too..

Dog photo was just for fun, it fit well with the "story".

As you can tell, Stillz, the sauce has been used, I will get my vacuum pump out tonight to suck the last drops from the bottle!

The smell, for lack of a better word, reminds me of some red habs that my local supermarket is stocking. Are they the same breed? (Chinense??)

I have used it as a marinade previously, but not with the added cook. I might add some pine nuts just for some crunch.

RS

...or The great shark hunt or if you like American politics Fear and loathing on the campaign trail 72 or Better than sex.
QUT journalism drop out lol... it was the guild bars fault lol

Stillz's Jerk Sauce Review -- Marinated Chicken

Part 2

Chicken has marinated for about 3 hrs in the sauce.

Prep:

Cubed and pan-fried the chicken with pine nuts then added white pasta and cooked a further 3 mins.
100_2794.jpg

100_2795.jpg

The chicken has absorbed the heat of the devil's sauce, but unfortunately, the complex flavours that i experienced in my chook 'wich have not come through so strongly. I can still taste the fruit at the beginning of the "mouthful", but it quickly turns to a burn similar to tobasco, hitting me at the back of the throat. This passes quickly.

I am no chef, and I wonder if this has to do with temp, length of cooking rather than the sauce itself.

I am feeling a tingle on the lips and tongue, and the sauce has also spiced up the pasta, surprisingly.

Rating:

Heat 8/10 A bit hotter than the 'wich, no bread or cheese or mayo
Taste 6.5 /10 With me cooking, this method didn't work
Mouth feel 6 /10 I'm not a fan of tobasco style burn
After burn ?? /10 Ask me tomorrow

I would really like to rate this better as I have cooked better meals with this sauce.

Overall, I highly recommend this sauce. Using it "neat" on food in my opinion is the way to go. However, the broiling method of bent may be the way to go when marinating with this one.

Using the highly sophisticated piece of averaging software, The Goose-Cost System, here is my rating (remember, this is my base review from where all others are judged):

7 /10

RS

PS Pam, I tried to reduce the quality of these pics so that it loads faster.

I also think it lost a little with cooking, but with seafood being so lite, it didn't really matter.
As a white meat dipping sauce -There is nothing like it

half of my next bottle is going into experiments with some game meat, the rest is for dipping & pouring.

....come to think of it I'm going to need at least 2 more bottles...I have the empty sitting in front of me & it makes me feel sad.

I find with fruit based sauces cooking out does loose the aroma and subtle flavours, maybe added at the end and tossed through it may have held more of the sweeter notes.
I like the afterburn thing....lol nice touch lol

stillmanz said:
I find with fruit based sauces cooking out does loose the aroma and subtle flavours, maybe added at the end and tossed through it may have held more of the sweeter notes.

I think this may be the trick.

RS

bentalphanerd

I can put a picture up of my 3/4 full bottle of stillmanz jerk sause if you like. That should cheer you up....shouldn't it.....

moyboy said:
bentalphanerd

I can put a picture up of my 3/4 full bottle of stillmanz jerk sause if you like. That should cheer you up....shouldn't it.....

Thanks mate. Luckily I always keep a stash of Stillmanz Inferno for just such emergencies.

you got that already, damn that was quick... Marita dosn't trust Australia posts handling techniques hence the 5 metres of bubble wrap.lol

Back