• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Stinging nettles

So someone gave me a few small stinging nettles which i planted in a container. I'm amazed how incredibly fast they grow and the intensity of the pain they deliver. I thought it was just called because it was prickly or something but ya even a light touch gets this burning painful feeling. Anyway why do I have this? Well I read that stinging nettles make great tea for allergy sufferers.

stingingnettles.jpg

PS these are basically weeds right? I'm growing weeds. LOL

You can also use the leaves in a fresh salad, but there is a way you must prep them to remove the toxin, which I'm not familiar with, so you might want to google it before consuming.

Pepperfreak said:
You can also use the leaves in a fresh salad, but there is a way you must prep them to remove the toxin, which I'm not familiar with, so you might want to google it before consuming.

Man I'd be scared just incase I didnt do it right. Man imagine the hurt if its still got some fire and it goes in the mouth. I think it would be a world of pain!

The leaves from plants your size meakes excellent soup too. And you don't know pain until you crash with your bicycle into a patch of nettles wearing only shorts... It's 25 years ago, and I still have nightmares about those weeds. Don't let them go to seeds because you don't want them in your garden!

MrArboc said:
The leaves from plants your size meakes excellent soup too. And you don't know pain until you crash with your bicycle into a patch of nettles wearing only shorts... It's 25 years ago, and I still have nightmares about those weeds. Don't let them go to seeds because you don't want them in your garden!

Oh man i cant even imagine the burning and pain. This stuff can seriously be used for torture and stuff like that.

Another use is to make a compost tea from the leaves and spray your other plants ie chillies etc with it. It acts as a growth stimulant and fungal deterent as well as a general tonic.

PS. make your compost tea by steeping the leaves in rainwater for a few days then dilute to the colour of weak tea before use.

Sandgroper said:
Another use is to make a compost tea from the leaves and spray your other plants ie chillies etc with it. It acts as a growth stimulant and fungal deterent as well as a general tonic.

Where did you learn this mate? Have you got any links??

The very bottom of the stem don't have "stingers", at least not on the young plants. But yes - gloves and long sleeves are recommended.

And don't have any links in english, but I know a lot of people here in Sweden make "compost tea" from stinging nettles. Never tried it myself becuse I can't stand the smell of it, but the nettles are said to be rich in micronutrients and the tea is also used as a foliar feeding.

I battled nettles and "ditch weed", common marijuana, which grow wild in northern Iowa. I lived on that acreage for 5 years and the weeds won the battle. Stinging nettles really leaves a memory, don't think I could make a tea from it no matter how good they are for you...too many painful encounters.

Can you come pick up the nettles at my place? They're about to really take over the place here and they really do get in the way. :|

secretz said:
Can you come pick up the nettles at my place? They're about to really take over the place here and they really do get in the way. :|

I would love to....and if I was not thousands of miles away, I probably would :) I really like my bucket of nettles. LOL. They are actually quit attractive too but I've already been 'bitten' by them when I brushed up by them by accident. Holy hell did it burn!

I remember when I was about 15ish I knelled down to turn on the water in the horse pasture and my butt got stung by them! :P
Sure, they're pretty, but can definitely be a pest.

If you like stinging nettles, Id love to sell you some pig weed, grown umm "organic" from the cow pastures down here. Should fit right in with the stinging nettles. How about some night shade? Multi flora rose?....if less pain is your gain then how about some privet?

Back