• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stunted Bhut...

Its clearly not happy, what are the day & night temperatures?

If it was me, Id pull it out, wash the roots clean with a mix of canna rhizotonic, ph it to 6.0, let the roots soak for a couple of hours in some clean rhizotonic then I would transplant it into some high quality coco coir like canna coco & feed it 5ml of canna coco nutrient mixed to .6ec ph 6.0 each morning & within a month it will look fantastic.

billyboy

to copy & paste one of my google searches

"The world's purest, most powerful organic "stress reliever" that stimulates extremely fast root development, prevents and protects against moulds such as Pythium, Fusarium, Mildew and Botrytis while increasing the plants natural immune system.

Rhizotonic contains a carefully integrated and balanced formulation of the finest Norwegian seaweed extracts and biogrowth stimulants based on leading Dutch plant research. In conjunction with this, Rhizotonic also contains oligosaccharide chemistry, a high quality saccharine that is a powerful prebiotic. Did you know that plants can be easily stressed due to transplanting, over and under watering, root disease, moulds, root burn, over-fertilising, root pruning and re-potting? Stressed plants suffer root death, which results in slow growth, damaged flowers, reduced yields and reductions in fruit and flower size and development. Rhizotonic with its advanced oligosaccharide chemistry and biogrowth stimulants will produce explosive new root growth immediately (within several hours in some cases!) saving you several weeks of valuable time in the process. The faster new roots are growing, the quicker the increase in plant vigour and future yields"

I use it all the time, uptil about 2 months old. Works for me:)

billyboy

billyboy said:
to copy & paste one of my google searches

"The world's purest, most powerful organic "stress reliever" that stimulates extremely fast root development, prevents and protects against moulds such as Pythium, Fusarium, Mildew and Botrytis while increasing the plants natural immune system.

Rhizotonic contains a carefully integrated and balanced formulation of the finest Norwegian seaweed extracts and biogrowth stimulants based on leading Dutch plant research. In conjunction with this, Rhizotonic also contains oligosaccharide chemistry, a high quality saccharine that is a powerful prebiotic. Did you know that plants can be easily stressed due to transplanting, over and under watering, root disease, moulds, root burn, over-fertilising, root pruning and re-potting? Stressed plants suffer root death, which results in slow growth, damaged flowers, reduced yields and reductions in fruit and flower size and development. Rhizotonic with its advanced oligosaccharide chemistry and biogrowth stimulants will produce explosive new root growth immediately (within several hours in some cases!) saving you several weeks of valuable time in the process. The faster new roots are growing, the quicker the increase in plant vigour and future yields"

I use it all the time, uptil about 2 months old. Works for me:)

billyboy

billyboy said:
Its clearly not happy, what are the day & night temperatures?

If it was me, Id pull it out, wash the roots clean with a mix of canna rhizotonic, ph it to 6.0, let the roots soak for a couple of hours in some clean rhizotonic then I would transplant it into some high quality coco coir like canna coco & feed it 5ml of canna coco nutrient mixed to .6ec ph 6.0 each morning & within a month it will look fantastic.

billyboy

*brain explodes*

the little guy sounds so stressed i wouldn't repot, plus he'd barely have roots i wouldn't dare disturb them, but next time he dries out i'd leach him just to make sure he isn't overfed...if you do go the coir route i'd actually do half compost half coir unless you're ready to learn a lot about soiless really fast. and if you're not sure about the quality of your coir make sure and rinse it really well.
i had a little eggplant that was stunted for the last three weeks and i just kept treating him normal and now he's just got that little hint of his first true leaf.

canna rhizotonic

(And isn't this a pricey little pearl.)

Ok, is anyone here surprised that I did a little research?

" Another important element in Rhizotonic is the root-strengthening hormone Oligosaccharine. Scientific research showed its beneficial effect to the creation of root cells without any negative side effects. Your plants will be certain to get beautiful strong white roots with Rhizotonic. "

Ok, so we're applying another plant hormone.

A little further research turned up this. For those who followed my last plunge into plant hormone pontification, please read the first sentence carefully. (Italicized emphasis is mine.)

"...The oligosaccharine XG9 (anonasaccharide fragment of xyloglucan) exhibits antiauxin activity [45]. Oligosaccharines stimulate fruit ripening in vivo and cell division in vitro; they are involved in plant defenses (from pathogenic fungi and bacteria) and in regulating plant interactions with bacterial symbionts. Certain oligosaccharide fragments formed during enzymatic hydrolysis of cell walls (of plants or pathogenic fungi, such as Phytophthora) act as elicitors, i.e., inducers of specific plant immune responses. Such oligosaccharide elicitors stimulate the lignification of plant cell walls and the formation of enzymes that cleave cell walls of pathogens; they also increase synthesis of protease inhibitors in plants, which halts the degradation of host proteins at infection sites and facilitates the production of phytoalexins (low-molecularweight
substances toxic to microorganisms) [45]. Extracellular β-D-glucan, which is formed by the phytopathogen Botrytis cinerea in the form of a capsule or film, may be used by the fungus itself as an extracellular source of energy and carbon (after the pool of nutrients in the medium has been exhausted) [46].

The role of oligosaccharines in the differentiation of plant tissues makes itself most evident during the formation
process of symbioses between leguminous plants and rhizobia (symbiotic nitrogen-fixing bacteria). These specific oligosaccharines involved in this process (known as Nod factors) do not result from cellwall degradation; rather, they are products of targeted biosynthesis taking place within the bacteria [45]. Nod factors are produced in response to the appearance in the medium of flavones and isoflavones (synthesized by plant roots). Each Nod factor is a glucosamine, the reducing and nonreducing ends of which carry, respectively, a strongly polar substituent in the form of a sulfate residue and an unsaturated fatty acid with two double bonds (figure)."

Yes, I could have summarized, but if I'm going to have to keep reading these things, so can you.

klyth said:
Yeah, he's actually 5 weeks old since he sprouted - 8 weeks since planting. I've actually thought root damage also. Will the root repair itself, do you think? Or is it just dying slowly? Should I use some of that stuff I've seen people talk about to help root growth? I dont remember what it's called...

:) At is stands, I'm stretched for room. These are growing in my basement in a homemade box. Altering my set up at this point isn't an option unless it's cheap as free, and doesn't take up any more space. Plus, this is my first time growing ANYTHING. I don't have a clue about hydro set ups, anyway.

I try to keep them moist, and I bottom water. And everyone else is doing OK. I could just be impatient, but it seems like he's just not growing!

Thankfully, I bought some more Bhut and Naga seeds, and I have those going now - but I've planted them very late for my region, and they haven't sprouted (it's only been 10 days). So all my eggs aren't in 1 basket anymore, thankfully.
IF you want a CHEAP and EASY hydroponic way to grow or germinate seeds, or most ANY seeds, since you say you are new to growing ANYTHING. Buy an AeroGarden. It is a breeze to set up and to use, and it grows nearly anything. It can be used to just germinate seeds,...or grow their seed kits, preplanted kits of hot peppers, tomatos, salad greens, petunias, herbs. Nothing as exotic as OUR peppers. But you can buy a 'make it yourself' seed kit and grow your Bhuts/Nagas in it. OR any seeds you like. The intense light makes them pop up pretty fast, like 1 week!. And it is VERY easy to use, and no going outside, etc...BUT that soil looks a bit heavy to me...for that tiny of a plant. Why did you transplant them so early? I used soil less mix in peat trays...and the jiffy Peat pellets. They both work great. And won't transplant them till I see roots coming out the sides of the trays. Those are small plants. why the fast transplant?? and it could just be a 'runt'. It happens. give it time. It might just blast up in height one day!

Omri said:
make a little improvised reservoir hydroponic system in a cup or something. you know, just to nurse him.
Omri, Could you further describe this item for us? I'm not sure if it's the same wick watering system that I use or not.
I just know it's had excessive moisture levels all it's life. Causing all manner of disease and toxic growing conditions. If the soil looks moist on top, then it's going to be saturated and unbreathable where the roots hang out (like a crowded bar with a smoking exemption.)

My neck got stiff trying to read the name of ...... Alarm pepper. I still can't quite read it.
Try to post smaller file sizes too. Some people don't have highspeed internet.

ABurningMouth said:
Omri, Could you further describe this item for us? I'm not sure if it's the same wick watering system that I use or not.
A reservoir system is the simplest form of Hydroponics. basically the growing medium is water... standing water.
All you need is water, a sealed container (to prevent light from entering, thus preventing the growth of algea), nutrits and that's pretty much it. that's the basic idea. the larger idea is a supporting growing medium (such as expanded clay), inserting oxygen and many other "cares".
I tried it myself on a dying non-chile plant. it worked like magic! in this almost stress-less environment, the roots regenerated and the plant looked healthy again.

Examples:
exper1_05.gif

hydroponics-growing-systems-1.jpg

dwc-cutaway.jpg

hydroponiclettuce.jpg

so if we ever make it to israel, you gonna share these non-chile plants with us?

back on topic, if you are going to go the way of a hydro nursing unit, get an air pump for just that little bit of added O2, and the smaller the roots the easier it will be to put it into said system. not to totally contradict GB, but if you were going to transplant it and wash the roots etc like billyboy said, i wouldn't wait for the roots to get bigger. personally.

Omri said:
A reservoir system is the simplest form of Hydroponics. basically the growing medium is water... standing water.
All you need is water, a sealed container (to prevent light from entering, thus preventing the growth of algea), nutrits and that's pretty much it. that's the basic idea. the larger idea is a supporting growing medium (such as expanded clay), inserting oxygen and many other "cares".
I tried it myself on a dying non-chile plant. it worked like magic! in this almost stress-less environment, the roots regenerated and the plant looked healthy again.

Examples:
exper1_05.gif

hydroponics-growing-systems-1.jpg

dwc-cutaway.jpg

hydroponiclettuce.jpg
now that i see the pics i realized i saw a large scale version of this on "how it's made" they showed lettuce being grown on these big floating styrofoam 'boats' in this massive shallow pool. i think it'd be a temporary solution for a slower growing plant like a bhut but would probably get the little guy to make up some time...

teh purple penguins said:
not to totally contradict GB,

*shrugs* meh..

ABurningMouth said:
I just know it's had excessive moisture levels all it's life. Causing all manner of disease and toxic growing conditions. If the soil looks moist on top, then it's going to be saturated and unbreathable where the roots hang out (like a crowded bar with a smoking exemption.)

My neck got stiff trying to read the name of ...... Alarm pepper. I still can't quite read it.
Try to post smaller file sizes too. Some people don't have highspeed internet.

False Alarm. It's from Burpee.

I post pics at a size I believe is reasonable, yet detailed enough where people can see what they need to. The smaller the picture, the worse the quality. You think it's hard to read the tags at that size - ... you don't want me to go smaller. Yeah, I know some people don't have high speed connections, but should other people use sub-standard media because someone might be impatient while a graphic loads? I don't think so. But I'm sure not everyone agrees.

That said -- I was going to get some Superthrive yesterday, but I saw just the smallest speck of green in the middle of the Bhut leaves. I decided not to touch it. Today, I see the beginnings of the first real leaves!

dsc01411sm.jpg

klyth said:
I post pics at a size I believe is reasonable, yet detailed enough where people can see what they need to. The smaller the picture, the worse the quality. You think it's hard to read the tags at that size - ... you don't want me to go smaller. Yeah, I know some people don't have high speed connections, but should other people use sub-standard media because someone might be impatient while a graphic loads? I don't think so. But I'm sure not everyone agrees.

Well, It's not just the physical size, it's the filesize.
That approx. 600x400 image you have I bet I could make 70-90Kb instead of 300Kb. On 56k dialup, that's 20 seconds of loading time saved.

Me, I usually just use my XnView to resize/crop to what I want, then use the export function to bring the filesize down. If I really want to squeeze pics, i'll pull out the Ulead SmartSaver Pro.

It's easy to do, and saves not only download times, but hosting costs. Good Netequitte too. :D

I do have 7/1 ADSL and a 6MP digicam, but image optimization is fun for me. Plus it's just the nice thing to do. Done properly, the image won't lose noticable quality. On the average 17" CRT @ 1024x768, I would never keep my digicam pics original size. Or even more than 500-600px wide as it blows out the margins of the webpage.

I suppose it's like people with 5Mb+ myspace pages that annoy the hell outa me..just no reason for it IMO. :)

*edit*

Nice blog btw. ;)

~Q

QuadShotz said:
Well, It's not just the physical size, it's the filesize.
That approx. 600x400 image you have I bet I could make 70-90Kb instead of 300Kb. On 56k dialup, that's 20 seconds of loading time saved.

Me, I usually just use my XnView to resize/crop to what I want, then use the export function to bring the filesize down. If I really want to squeeze pics, i'll pull out the Ulead SmartSaver Pro.

It's easy to do, and saves not only download times, but hosting costs. Good Netequitte too. :D

I do have 7/1 ADSL and a 6MP digicam, but image optimization is fun for me. Plus it's just the nice thing to do. Done properly, the image won't lose noticable quality. On the average 17" CRT @ 1024x768, I would never keep my digicam pics original size. Or even more than 500-600px wide as it blows out the margins of the webpage.

I suppose it's like people with 5Mb+ myspace pages that annoy the hell outa me..just no reason for it IMO. :)

*edit*

Nice blog btw. ;)

~Q

Yeah, looking back now I admit the first picture was large. But I have a 20" monitor, so it's relative.

I use Irfanview to crop and resize pics (I just don't downgrade the quality much). If I had kept them regular size they'd be 2+ MB and MUCH larger. As far as that 400x600 pic blowing out the sides of the page for people running 1024x768, I understand. It's just something I don't think about - here's what that picture looks like on my monitor:

PIC HERE: WARNING - 800x600 250kb

Frankly, it's small. So when I post a picture that blows up someones monitor, I'm not doing it on purpose. It looks just fine from where I'm sitting.

I've never been asked to squeeze pics down so much. Of the other forums I frequent (gaming forums) it's never been an issue. I suppose that is because everyone has broadband (you kinda have to for MMOs). In the future, I'll either squeeze them down more, or post the imageshack thumbnails so everyone knows how large the picture is.

LOL...Ya, gamers tend to have higher-end gear and rather expect everyone else to have it too. ;)

No worries, I do a lot of work on graphics and webpages and such, and it's amazing what some sites allow and other's don't.
On DSLR where I do most of my gfx stuff, peeps come in with a 2Mb animation and want it as an avatar...(!!)

There, max av size is 8192 bytes and 50x50 px ..heheh. They freak.

I find around 70-80 qualiity for the .JPG works pretty well, and makes it pretty small. That pic you just had did go to about what I thought.

http://www.darkgrid.com/images/hotstuff/dsc01411sm.jpg (96Kb)

Only took couple seconds more to export that way. I can't recall where those settings are in InfranView though.

I guess I think of it more because I host images off of my own paid hosting, and every bit of bandwidth counts when there's a lot of pageviews like here. :)

Cheers,

~Q

klyth said:
Yeah, looking back now I admit the first picture was large. But I have a 20" monitor, so it's relative.
Looks tiny on my 30". looks decent on my old 19" and reasonable on my 15.4" notebook.

Yeah, I think the main complaint was filesize for folks on dial-up connections. I know my mom won't even hardly surf because at 48-53K, it's just too frustrating for her these days.

Omri said:
Looks tiny on my 30". looks decent on my old 19" and reasonable on my 15.4" notebook.

You must have decent resolution on your notebook! :)

QuadShotz said:
Yeah, I think the main complaint was filesize for folks on dial-up connections. I know my mom won't even hardly surf because at 48-53K, it's just too frustrating for her these days.

I do feel for the people who can't get high-speed. It is painful. I've had it for over 10 years now, so I guess I just expect everyone to.

EDIT: You change the quality when you save as in Irfanview. It's a slider bar that I keep at 100%. I'll change it to 80%.

Back