• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Sunday Vittles

Just gonna leave these here and comment later...
20200322_192739.jpg

Attachments

• 20200322_200918.jpg
    20200322_200918.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 78
PtMD989 said:
In this case it’s Michigander for “Hell to the Yeah”[emoji106][emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rajun Gardener said:
Ooooh, GOODY!!

I will accept both as appropriate. Both of us fell into a coma after dinner, seconds can be quite dangerous!

Man, the resulting food baby was substantial. The baked chiles are a definite new thing in my loaf production!

There are so many potential variations at hand, it's a good thing we love meatloaf at my house...The un-cheesened loaf was untouched, sammiches, hot or cold, are going to be phenominal!

After they were done, it dawned on me to try the Tony Chachere's in place of the Hidden Valley on the roasted potatoes. I have more potatoes... :party:

I really gotta go Cajun spice shopping...Local store carries a few of the Zatarain's line and Slap Yo Mama, but I bet there's a better variety online....

And yes Rob, smoker is liberated...the time is nigh..... :onfire:

Sorry, no big cook today; made up a huge vat of spaghetti sauce last night & ate way too late...today is for bliviting...

However, so as to not leave you with your drooling palates unrequited, I did take a stroll over to the property down the road, abandoned in the 70s with only a large barn still "standing". This happened last summer...
20200329_110600.jpg

Last time I was inside was 10 years ago, it seemed pretty damned sound back then, and was used to store a couple of dinosaurs,an Olds station wagon, maybe late 60s and a nice 1954 (?) De Soto Powerflite, nowhere near cherry, but both looked like they could have been driven out of the barn...

...today?
20200329_111323.jpg

20200329_111540.jpg

20200329_111605.jpg

20200329_111225.jpg

20200329_111256.jpg

Stripped. 10 years somehow seems like a long time today. The owner lives on the Kenai, never comes back here, and apparently no one asked to look after the place. There used to be a dilapidated four-square farmhouse too, with beautiful and expensive mahogany trim throughout, was burned by vagrants 5 or 6 years ago.

A sight likes this truly saddens me. What a waste...

Well, this was yesterday, but it counts because there is no cook scheduled for today except for a possible burnt end experiment...

We had tomahawk steaks...
tommyhawk.jpg

And used a new rub (thanks Mike!!  :cheers: )
tommyhawk2.jpg

Frikkin' wind! What should have been 3-4 minutes/side on a full-tilt hot grill, this damned wind kept the heat misdirected, even blew the fire out a couple times, and I wound up babysitting the cook for over 10 minutes a side...Yeah, it looks pretty good and tasted REALLY good, the cook texture was noticeably dry from sitting too long over unstable heat.
tommyhawk onthegrill.jpg

The flavor infused by the rub was really unique and robust, not even "red" as far as appearances would insinuate. I'll be using this can allllllll up!!

On an advisory note, and an attestation to both the frikkin' wind and to my shouldaknowedbetter neglect, we had spent a good few hours at the fire pit (damn, birch burns sweet!), and I forgot to lay the big PLASTIC Adirondacks down before going to the deck to fight said frikkin' wind on a steak cook...This took maybe 10 minutes of out of sight out of mindedness...
You may caption as you please...
stetto's brain.jpg

I'm hoping the molten stuff will peel easily once cooled....

Ashen said:
That sucks my friend.

That pit needs a grate so you can kick back and cook right there. :)

Thanks Ashen, but I guess I asked for it. 

And I do have a grate, even made a couple awesome rib-eyes on it once, I tucked it behind the woodpile one Fall and now you remind me to dig that puppy back out!  :metal:

...Now I'm thinkin' brats.....Over the firepit...

Hey stett, I never commented on one of your posts but this one caught my eye.

stettoman said:
Well, this was yesterday, but it counts because there is no cook scheduled for today except for a possible burnt end experiment...

Frikkin' wind! What should have been 3-4 minutes/side on a full-tilt hot grill, this damned wind kept the heat misdirected, even blew the fire out a couple times, and I wound up babysitting the cook for over 10 minutes a side..20 minutes minimum.Yeah, it looks pretty good and tasted REALLY good, the cook texture was noticeably dry from sitting too long over unstable heat

The flavor infused by the rub was really unique and robust, not even "red" as far as appearances would insinuate. I'll be using this can allllllll up!!

On an advisory note, and an attestation to both the frikkin' wind and to my shouldaknowedbetter neglect, we had spent a good few hours at the fire pit (damn, birch burns sweet!), and I forgot to lay the big PLASTIC Adirondacks down before going to the deck to fight said frikkin' wind on a steak cook...This took maybe 10 minutes of out of sight out of mindedness...

I'm hoping the molten stuff will peel easily once cooled....

How many minutes did it take to cool down?

dzr6Bv2.png

Back