• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Hots Canada - Grow 2014-2015 (Starts on Page 12) - I have a greenhouse now! YAY! :D

I suppose rather than starting a new topic each time I update you all on my progress, it's better to stick to one...

So to begin with, I just have a small update for today:

My largest Cayenne (which I just pruned back in the past couple of weeks) is finally growing it's very first flowers. This is one of six Cayenne's that I originally bought as seedlings. This one has taken off the best. The rest seemed to have struggled to grow.

20130920_073946_450x600.jpg

One of my young Jalapeño (I believe) plants is also starting to flower. This is one that I started from seed and it's showing a good many more flowers than the Cayenne, shown above, even though it is far smaller and younger.

20130920_074030_450x600.jpg

Seeing them start to flower, I decided to add some more Tomato mix (5-7-7) to all my plants to hopefully help them along the way.

I water my plants with a 20-20-20 plant feed every couple of weeks, occasionally I'll spray them down with an epsom salt mix and if the roots start to show I'll add some 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) soil blend to top them off.

How often ought a person add tomato mix/bone meal/soil to their planters (indoors) to keep them growing and healthy - any suggestions?

Blister said:
That brown naglah does produce some wicked looking pods. Bumpy like the brain strain and all.

Neil

If that first one I tried truly wasn't fully matured then the next will be truly terrifying. The longest I've experienced a Ghost burning was around 10 minutes and that was without touching milk or anything. The pain of a Ghost didn't come anywhere near the Naglah and the Naglah hurt like hell for nearly half an hour - even with chugging milk. lol

Ted Barrus did one of his reviews on the Brown Naglah and said that - at least to him - it was up there in heat. Not quite to the level of the Chocolate Bhutlah, but up there - like a sort of distant relative. It was the first super-hot I've tried. My next will be the Reaper. Sadly, I don't have any Brain Strain seeds to try growing those - but yup, they definitely got the bumps going on.

Other super-hots I'm working on growing are the Butch T, 007 and 7 Pot Bubblegum... And maybe with a little luck some of the mystery seeds I'm growing from Gotrox are as well. :)

I really hope that it wasn't all that it could be. I've been trying to grow the standard Red Bhut's to their full potential. I want to experience the full heat that they can produce. So far I haven't been able to. I haven't been able to grow the standard Scorp's to their full potential either. I've even had Bhut's from a friend that didn't live up to expectations. It's not that I have a high tolerance, just that the peppers grown around here haven't been that hot. Flavour is there, just not the heat. Maybe this year...

Neil

Blister said:
I really hope that it wasn't all that it could be. I've been trying to grow the standard Red Bhut's to their full potential. I want to experience the full heat that they can produce. So far I haven't been able to. I haven't been able to grow the standard Scorp's to their full potential either. I've even had Bhut's from a friend that didn't live up to expectations. It's not that I have a high tolerance, just that the peppers grown around here haven't been that hot. Flavour is there, just not the heat. Maybe this year...

Neil

*crosses fingers for you*

Yeah, I'm thinking geeme was likely right when she mentioned that it looked like it likely wasn't fully matured. It tasted very much like a Ghost/Naga Jolokia, whereas the dried Brown Naglah I got from Buckeye Peppers (same place I got the seeds) certainly had a flavor that was distinctly different from the Ghost. The 2nd pod that started around the same time is still on the plant. I'm going to give a good while and see what happens. It hasn't darkened any further in the past week or so, though.

The Habanero Red I just posted about in the last couple of days tasted spot-on what I remember from store-bought ones I've had in the past, so that gives me a bit of confidence that my other breeds will if I just learn some patience. lol

Bhut_Trolokia said:
Looks nice.
What is its taste and how did it burn?

It smells a bit more bitter/sour (and more potent) than the original pods I got the seeds from... I'm going to try and get up the nerve to eat it tomorrow. :)

Update on my first Naga Jolokia pod that I grew: - I'm said to report that I just didn't get up the nerve to eat it. :(

That aside, I have a fresh update that's a bit unrelated to my growing efforts:

Tonight a best friend mentioned to me that he was at a local grocery store (SuperStore - the same place I picked up my very first Habanero & Naga Jolokia pods) looking to see if he could find some more Ghost Peppers. Well, it turns out that while he rummaged around the peppers he found some pepper packs (in plastic containers) from a new company that we haven't seen around here before.

So.. He picked me up and we took a drive over to the grocery store for me to take a look (in the hopes of getting there before others discovered them and grabbed them up).

Impressively, it's a Canadian company out of Ontario (most of the unique peppers we get seem to come from outside of the country). Even more impressive is that not only were there packs of Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jolokia this time where the previous packs carried were Naga Jolokia), but there was also packs labelled "Shishito" AND, most impressively, packs labelled Trinidad Scorpion!

Taking a peek at the company website the types of hot peppers they produce is listed as: "Trinidad Scorpion, Ghost, Scotch Bonnet, Spanish Chilli, Pencil Hot, Shishito". As it turns out, none of the packs contain purely the type that is named on the labels. Instead, they are primarily the labelled type with at least one other type thrown in. So I picked up a couple of packs - one labelled "Trinidad Scorpion Peppers" and one labelled "Ghost Peppers" - so that I could look up the "bonus" varieties in each pack.

The Scorpion pack only I got only has one alternative pod in it and as far as I can tell it's a Yellow Scotch Bonnet. The Ghost Pepper pack appears to have two regular Scotch Bonnets (red) and two of what appear to be Chocolate Bhut Jolokia's..  To say the least I'm going to be saving myself some more seeds!

Here's a picture showing the packaging and examples of each of the extra varieties I got:

nature-fresh.jpg

Spicegeist said:
That's great you found those in the supermarket!

Pretty cool graphic design for their labels, as well.. All the other pepper company labels I've seen in our area are rather dull and generic. Nice to see a Canadian company on the ball. Now, I just need to somehow get off the ground and get into the game. lol

Super Hots Canada said:

Pretty cool graphic design for their labels, as well.. All the other pepper company labels I've seen in our area are rather dull and generic. Nice to see a Canadian company on the ball. Now, I just need to somehow get off the ground and get into the game. lol

Yeah, if the Finns can figure it out, I'm sure you can too in Canada...

Spicegeist said:

Yeah, if the Finns can figure it out, I'm sure you can too in Canada...

Oh, I have a good idea of what I'd want when it comes to building and setting up commercial greenhouses (i.e. using solar heat & energy).. The trouble is that it seems like I keep hitting these massive walls with every option I explore when it comes to finding support/funding - whether I'm looking in the direction of building the business or going back to school.

As soon as I can get the current web development client project I'm working on off my plate I plan to really dig in and update & complete my business plan and push forward with some of the options I've found that I haven't had a chance to try yet. *crosses fingers* The key is to be persistent - namely with pushing myself to make it happen. *nod*

.. P.s. My brother & his family live in Finland.. The winters are more drastic than here in Nova Scotia, but on the flip side in the summer the sun can be full-on straight until around midnight or just after. I think that could make for a pretty awesome growing season. :)

Spicegeist said:
Hm, lot's to consider...

Here's a Canadian city at about the same latitude of Helsinki:
Whitehorse, Yukon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehorse,_Yukon

Looks brutal...

This is the city my brother lives in: Jyväskylä, Finland (he actually just defended his dissertation for his Doctorate in the past day!)

And this is the largest town in my county: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (Wikipedia doesn't have any temperature stats for my small town, apparently lol)

Super Hots Canada said:

This is the city my brother lives in: Jyväskylä, Finland (he actually just defended his dissertation for his Doctorate in the past day!)

And this is the largest town in my county: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (Wikipedia doesn't have any temperature stats for my small town, apparently lol)

Finland looks very interesting, what an experience that must have been for your brother.  Quite a change from New Glasgow, eh?

Spicegeist said:

Finland looks very interesting, what an experience that must have been for your brother.  Quite a change from New Glasgow, eh?

Their first year was definitely an adjustment.. They've been there for over 4 years at this point. If I remember right they said it can be pitch black at the height of winter by around 3pm and, as mentioned, full-sun till midnight at the heat of summer... And where mice, moles, etc are rather commonplace around here, in Finland they're rather rare and instead they encounter hedgehogs. lol

.. And of all I've seen from what my brother's wife posts on her blogs and on Facebook, the people are much more welcoming, friendly, helpful and trusting of each other. In the city they live in there is this "Restaurant Day" that takes place once a month (I think) where -anyone- can bring fresh food of all sorts to designate areas (i.e. parks) and sell what they've grown or made. Apparently it does a great job of letting people meet others in the community and make a bit of money along the way. :)

Super Hots Canada said:

Their first year was definitely an adjustment.. They've been there for over 4 years at this point. If I remember right they said it can be pitch black at the height of winter by around 3pm and, as mentioned, full-sun till midnight at the heat of summer... And where mice, moles, etc are rather commonplace around here, in Finland they're rather rare and instead they encounter hedgehogs. lol

.. And of all I've seen from what my brother's wife posts on her blogs and on Facebook, the people are much more welcoming, friendly, helpful and trusting of each other. In the city they live in there is this "Restaurant Day" that takes place once a month (I think) where -anyone- can bring fresh food of all sorts to designate areas (i.e. parks) and sell what they've grown or made. Apparently it does a great job of letting people meet others in the community and make a bit of money along the way. :)

Makes sense, there's no where to run to, so nothing to fear ;)

I'd be in the sauna all the time if I were there, darkness after 3pm?  They should send a bunch of Finns to colonize Mars...

Small bit of an update...

First up is a picture of the very first ladybug to be born -and- mature to an adult in my grow room.. I'm so proud of the little bugger. I'm calling 'em "Habby" since it changed from a larvae to pupa/adult while on my best-growing (at the present time) Habanero Red:

Habby.jpg

And secondly, thanks to Habby & its' siblings my Brown Naglah, Habanero and others are starting to grow fresh new leaves again! In particular, my Naglah is taking off like crazy again! Right now it has around five pods growing on it - including one that just started this week and is growing fast..  The picture below is the one I think is the most gnarly on the plant right now:

brown-naglah.jpg

.. My Naglah is starting to put out a TON of buds/flowers so hopefully I'll be seeing a LOT more pods in the next while! :D

Pretty interesting read. And I can see my plants taking over my house much as they have yours. My original plan was to move mine outside but this NS weather is terrible. So they have taken over the spare bedroom. Which I'm sure doesn't thrill the gf or the landlord ;)

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your HPS from? The room I moved my plants into had three windows, 2 east and one south so I think I'm OK on light for now but come fall I'll need light.

Back