• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Superhot Concentrate

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I had to figure a way to preserve my superhot harvest over the past two weeks and I decided to simply add a little vinegar and salt to the blended peppers and pressure can them...

I ended up with 14 8 ounce jars of concentrate. The fresh taste of the pods remains and I can use this various ways including making hot sauce with them...

A pic of the jars...2 Dorset Naga, 2 Trinidad Scorpion, 3 Yellow Trinidad Scorpion, and 7 7 Pots...

This will get me thru the winter I am sure...thank you Billyboy for the recipe...

100 grams pepper
60ml vinegar
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp sugar

110108c001.jpg

I made some lemon drop concentrate again yesterday, but this time I used bottled lemon juice and 1/4 tsp crystaline citric acid instread of the vinegar. I also added 1/2 cup sugar to 300g of peppers. I got an 8oz jar of concentrate plus some leftover to experiment with in other recipes.

It tasted great except I'm sure I screwed up by doing a direct substitution for the vinegar. I got some wicked acid reflux from it, so THEN I decided to Google it. Turns out I used double strength plus the 1/4 tsp. Here's the recommended substitution ratios:

2 Tbsp 5% vinegar =
1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice =
1/4 tsp crystaline citric acid

But damn it tastes good. And hot too.

c.

I don't suppose you have to cook the chilis, however, they will be cooked during the pressure canning process anyway...I cook them to reduce them and make them the thickness I want...

So I have done this with Bhuts and tonight I did it with orange habs (cuz I was board) Turned out the heat intensity severly diminshed with the Habs. Is this a result of overcooking. Anyway I added a teaspoon of Hab extract from a few months ago and %$%$% right back up there :hell:

Here is a much better question AJ. I took some of the original untainted mash that I felt wasnt hot enough and I made an orange and ginger sauce with it and it seemed to find its heat in the sauce that it had previously forgotten in the concentrated form. is it the combination of ginger or citric acid that has made it found its acclaimed 300k shu heat?

I haven't noticed the concentrate losing any heat...not saying it doesn't but I just haven't noticed it...maybe after sitting and mellowing for a month or two it "recovers"...

I add about a 1/2 tsp of 7 pot to a half gallon of bloody marys and it makes it almost too hot to drink...

Jess, I don't see how you stayed in the house cooking the bhuts down...but it looks good...

AlabamaJack said:
Jess, I don't see how you stayed in the house cooking the bhuts down...but it looks good...
I had to add about 210 ml of vinegar instead of the reccommended 180 but the past boiled for 35 minutes and its righteously hot. I think working with paste as an additive for making sauce is so much more effecient than using raw peppers. and it dosnt thicken them up as much

Ok..after reading this thread, and having wayyyy to many peppers, I've decided to try to make some concentrate. I still have question...at what pressure (pounds)do you can them and for how long. Do you take any seeds out or leave them in? Do you cut off the green stem part of the pepper? Is it even safe to cook this stuff in the house? What about using apple cider vineager instead of white vineager?

From my reading peppers should be given a boiling bath in order to seal the jars. Dont can them cuz when you boiled them down they are cooked, no need to recook them. I left my seeds in and I removed the stems. The vinegar well I suppose thats a matter of taste preference since each vinegar has a distinct taste.

Talljess said:
From my reading peppers should be given a boiling bath in order to seal the jars. Dont can them cuz when you boiled them down they are cooked, no need to recook them. I left my seeds in and I removed the stems. The vinegar well I suppose thats a matter of taste preference since each vinegar has a distinct taste.

Jess I think you have this a little mixed up, or I do. The reason you pressure can them is for storage, has nothing to do with cooking them again, which hurts nothing by the way. If your pH is right and you can them they have a ridiculously long shelf life.

I prefer to can them myself.

If you're looking for help or tips to can your veggies go here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...anning&usg=AFQjCNGJmkeQw9EeKVS8-iRopZN_nHE8sQ Good luck to all.

ddrsheden said:
I prefer to pressure can. Just wondering at how many pounds of pressure and for how many minutes.

there is a different in pressure and time to cook for different altitudes...the break (i think) is 3000 ft...the altitude where I am is about 900 ft

10 psig (psi gauge) or 24.7 psi absolute...if you have a pressure cooker without a gauge, the weight will start letting steam out around 10 psig

and the time is 10 minutes

as far as the type vinegar...again, personal taste but I use plain white vinegar to try and retain as much of the fresh pepper taste as possible..

If you are wanting to make pickles or pickled peppers you should not pressure can them because the will all turn to mush no matter how much you try and keep them from softening...the pressure canning takes them to 240F...it is better to either hot pack or hot water bath can pickled peppers...this recipe is strickly for making puree and having a great shelf life..

AJ,

I saw the agave nectar bottle in your pic, but didn't read where you used it. I assume you substituted it for the 1 TBL sugar, but how much did you use? Was it 1:1?

I'd like to give this stuff a try, assuming I can find it around here.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, and thanks for coming up with it billyboy. Concentrate is a great idea! I'm looking for to trying it.

For sauces I just hot pack and forget about canning. I certainly don't think that big hot-sauce makers do anything other than hot pack into sterilized jars with proper acidity. For canning pickled peppers or thick salsa I like to use water canning

DownRiver said:
AJ,

I saw the agave nectar bottle in your pic, but didn't read where you used it. I assume you substituted it for the 1 TBL sugar, but how much did you use? Was it 1:1?

I'd like to give this stuff a try, assuming I can find it around here.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, and thanks for coming up with it billyboy. Concentrate is a great idea! I'm looking for to trying it.

I put the agave nectar in before I puree everything...just put the peppers, sea salt, vinegar, and agave nectar in then puree...I use about 1/4 Tbsp...Agave nectar is much sweeter than white sugar

POTAWIE said:
For sauces I just hot pack and forget about canning. I certainly don't think that big hot-sauce makers do anything other than hot pack into sterilized jars with proper acidity. For canning pickled peppers or thick salsa I like to use water canning

agree 100% with you P...

Back