Supermarket score

I found a heap next to woolies today at the cuisine grocer, does asian mostly but stocks mexican stuff too. very nice find though!!
I bought a couple hundred for like $20. Already put them to good use, I ate one. Love it.

And if I love them so much, I can only imagine how incredible they will be when I grow them next year. I think I'll grow the yellow ones, almost 100% sure on that :)

Now that's a score and a half!!!
I did get some from an Asian fruit/veg shop last year but never seen them again.

And the Yellow Habs are definately up there with my favourites, Mmmm very yummy!
Hey if you remember drop me a line when you are planting your next lot of seeds, I might have some spare to send your way ;)

Micca

Off to see what I can find at the local, but if I can't find any, at least my (non-choc, non-white-bullet) habs are finally showing signs of colour.

I was starting to think I was growing a new Green Habanero variety for a while.

Good luck mate, hope you find some. Of course let us know how you go.

Micca

No luck on the habs here in Sydney, but the "red cherry" has arrived so grabbed a few for salads (and seeds).
Ahh what a bummer. It's always worth keeping an eye on though.

Dropped into Forrest Lakes Shops on the way home and they had a plastic basket full of them. I did have a look for a label, but nothing :( .
The Long Red and Green ones had a label on the side and it was local WA produce. I'll post a piccy if I can find my bluetooth thingo.
I didn't raid them this time so if anyone is around Thornlie and are in need of an Orange Hab boost theres a heap there at the moment.

Micca

Now that's a score and a half!!!
I did get some from an Asian fruit/veg shop last year but never seen them again.

And the Yellow Habs are definately up there with my favourites, Mmmm very yummy!
Hey if you remember drop me a line when you are planting your next lot of seeds, I might have some spare to send your way ;)

Micca

Yeah I am super excited about these, with all of that tropical flavour and some decent heat around my tolerance level. I already have a salsa idea devised.
I certainly will hold you to your offer, as I can't really see any bright yellow habanero seeds available for sale, which is a shame.
I will be looking at buying in July/August. And I must thank you for your offer, it excites me greatly to be able to try a new type of chilli!! I may even be able to burn my O-ring off later if I get this naga to fruit, which seems doubtful at this stage so I will grow as much as possible and overwinter them, repot them in preparation for next growing season. :)

Our Safeways here in Flagstaff all carry Orange Habaneros. Sadly, they usually buy too many and you see them starting to rot before people buy them up. There are enough folks here that know these peppers and buy them, but just not in the quantities they bring in. They sell for about $6.99 a pound fresh here.

Where you see some OUTSTANDING Habaneros is at our Community Supported Agriculture community market in Summer here. Man, they had fresh cayennes for sale! Two bucks a pound. All small local farmer grown. And the Habaneros were outstanding. I got some of those to supplement the ones I grew and pickled them in apple cider vinegar. I gave some of those Pickled Habs out for Yule and people thought they were awesome! They said the vinegar itself was awesome on greens. Local community markets are where it's at for getting great stuff. Our locallly-owned greengrocer had Chiltepins for sale. They bought direct from the folks who gathered them from the wild down south. They do the same with pinyon nuts here. You ever want pinyon nuts and you're here during the season they're available, just take a trip up to Tuba City on the Navajo Nation. You'll see lots of them being sold from pickup truck beds. You can also find some pretty awesome corn and melons and squash for sale at the same time.

Well guess what I just found at Coles on south st (CanningVale). Yep orange habs for $17/kg. Had to pick through them to find some good ones. Most of them are a bit see through like they haven't ripened fully but are pretty big also.

Here I can find orange habs quite often at the store. The bad thing is that they don't even have the heat of a jalapeño....... Pumped full of growth hormones I'll bet =(

Took a trip to Wegmans (a supermarket chain) the other day. They had jalapenos, orange habs, poblanos, pepperoncini, bells, Hungarian wax, etc. Not a terrible selection for a Northern Virginia grocery store, although some of the habs were a little wasted-looking. They were better than Safeways', though -- no blackened placenta.

I found Chocolate habs at my local foodlion. i thought they were bad regular habs initially cause all you see is red, yellow and orange here in Raleigh but these were stuck in the back. Don't know why I pulled them, but upon closer inspection, glossy brown chocolate habs! Isle was flooded with them a few weeks later. Guess they were testing the market.

Score

Oh I assure you, luck was exactly the case. I've lived in Raleigh almost 11 years now and I've NEVER seen anything but, red, yellow and orange habs. The chocolate hab was nothing but sheer luck....Im still pleasantly dumb founded. Wondering if they'll do it this year. If they do, SOMEONE in the whole foodlion process must be a chile head.

Our Safeways here in Flagstaff all carry Orange Habaneros. Sadly, they usually buy too many and you see them starting to rot before people buy them up. There are enough folks here that know these peppers and buy them, but just not in the quantities they bring in. They sell for about $6.99 a pound fresh here.

Where you see some OUTSTANDING Habaneros is at our Community Supported Agriculture community market in Summer here. Man, they had fresh cayennes for sale! Two bucks a pound. All small local farmer grown. And the Habaneros were outstanding. I got some of those to supplement the ones I grew and pickled them in apple cider vinegar. I gave some of those Pickled Habs out for Yule and people thought they were awesome! They said the vinegar itself was awesome on greens. Local community markets are where it's at for getting great stuff. Our locallly-owned greengrocer had Chiltepins for sale. They bought direct from the folks who gathered them from the wild down south. They do the same with pinyon nuts here. You ever want pinyon nuts and you're here during the season they're available, just take a trip up to Tuba City on the Navajo Nation. You'll see lots of them being sold from pickup truck beds. You can also find some pretty awesome corn and melons and squash for sale at the same time.

Your quite right there. Some of the best and freshest come from little local vege markets they have in Summer.
Love seeing what you can find in those places, they are full of surprises.

Micca

Well guess what I just found at Coles on south st (CanningVale). Yep orange habs for $17/kg. Had to pick through them to find some good ones. Most of them are a bit see through like they haven't ripened fully but are pretty big also.

Sweet, looks like the summer crops are in. Some of mine were a bit seethrough too but came up good when left out to ripen.
Hey up Cervantes at the moment, pretty happy that I managed to get a Dhuie yesterday :woohoo: (sorry a bit off topic, just excited).

Micca

Nice scores everyone :cool:
Wow Chock Hab :eek: now thats a score!!
Mmmm only dream to go down to the local and get some chocky Habs.

Micca

Mmmm only dream to go down to the local and get some chocky Habs.

Never seen them in the shops here, so happy to grow my own :)

Hell, even orange Habs are rare, and I've got about 10 Asian supermarkets nearby - Only seen the habs at one of them, the rest just carry the usual 'red Thai' varieties.

Not fresh peppers, but our local Cost Plus World Market has Melinda's Naga Jolokia and Dave's Gourmet Ghost Pepper Sauce for sale in their sauce section. Most people here have no idea what a "Naga Jolokia" or "Ghost Pepper" is. Bet there's some interesting happenings when people get it home and pour it on to tacos like it's La Victoria. :onfire:

Sweet, looks like the summer crops are in. Some of mine were a bit seethrough too but came up good when left out to ripen.
Hey up Cervantes at the moment, pretty happy that I managed to get a Dhuie yesterday :woohoo: (sorry a bit off topic, just excited).

Micca

Your always off fishing you lucky thing!
That's cool, Dhufish are nice. Enjoy. See ya next weekend

Back