• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

synclinorium's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't actually started seeds yet, but it will be happening in the very near future... this year's growing season will almost certainly be cut short for reasons I won't go into, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy seed starting... think of this as a healthy start on my overwinters for the year.

I've narrowed down my grow list to the following for 2012. With a couple exceptions I only plan on doing 1 or 2 of each variety, and some might be cut for space reasons, TBD. The superhots will be going into the trays as soon as I get my supplies, with the rest following shortly afterwards. My setup is slightly less ghetto than last year, but don't expect anything too fancy. Anyway, the selection, including any overwinters that make it to plant-out:

7Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Aji Amarillo (3 strains)
Bonda Ma Jacques/Datil/Fatalii
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Cumari/Cumari Pollux/Cumari o Passarinho in some combination
Jalapeno
Limon
Prik chee fa/Prik ki nu
Red Rocoto
Tepin/Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion BT
White Habanero
Wiri Wiri

Considering the fact that this growing season will be short, I didn't really want to bother with more pubescens or baccatums aside from my overwinters, and the wilds and superhots I'm just doing for fun. I'll probably do several more Aji Amarillo plants than the rest, as they are mild enough that my housemate uses them on a regular basis, so I won't feel bad about leaving plants with her.

I'm also open to suggestions for other varieties. I'd like to have as broad a flavor profile as possible without turning my entire backyard into a pepper garden (not that I would have an issue with this if I owned property, but I don't think my current landlord would appreciate it...)

I'd be excited too!!! Those are picture perfect little Brains! Its the first time in years I've gotten full sized bells off my plants too! First time in as many years I raised from seed as well...hmmmmm

I'm scratching my head at the Butch Ts. I know the pod shapes can be variable on them, but these look nothing like the photos I've seen. I'm wondering if it was crossed with another super... if so, this would be the second year in a row my Butch Ts are crosses. Haha. Nature is conspiring against me.

IMGP4540.jpg

This eggplant must be happy to see me... :lol:

IMGP4543.jpg

Crosses are popping up here too. Fun stuff...just hoping my Brain is true :pray: . Will know soon, pods just starting to form. Nice looking little pod on your "Butch" though! As far as the eggplant goes, my stinger never went anywhere near that thing! :rofl:

Crosses are popping up here too. Fun stuff...just hoping my Brain is true :pray: . Will know soon, pods just starting to form. Nice looking little pod on your "Butch" though! As far as the eggplant goes, my stinger never went anywhere near that thing! :rofl:

That's what I get for buying seedlings instead of starting them myself... I also got a Bhut from the same people, which seems to be true; I haven't posted any photos of it yet but the first pod looks nice and gnarly. They listed the Bhut seed came from NMSU, but the container didn't say where they got the Butch T seed. Ah well.

I will see your eggplant and raise you a roasted corn! Funny how I got this today after seeing your eggplant pic!
P1010640.jpg

:rofl:

Yeah...I would be a little peeved if I purchased my seeds/plants and they weren't true...but most of my stuff is OP from trades on here so if I get some surprises its all good. I would talk to who you bought it from and at least let them know that the plant wasn't true. Might make it right for you, but will also let him know to he needs to talk to his supplier.

I am having issues with some seeds I bought also. I'm not sure that they are crosses as much as seeds getting switched up.Can't be sure that others are as diligent as you(I check the Ph of distilled water...yes I am nuts)This past weekend I started using stockings to isolate my plants that I know for sure are growing true. I will only trade seeds from these plants unless someone isn't worried about what grows from them.

I rarely bother to isolate; most people don't bother and I have no expectations for seeds I get through trades; if I'm set on having true varieties I go through reputable sellers (the best sellers are in the business for the joy it of it, but we should still support them in their efforts... I figure the more business they get, the more seed they'll have available and the better off everyone will be), and even then there's a chance the seed won't be true.

It may sound like I have a lot of crosses, but in reality only about 8% of my plants aren't true, which is acceptable in my opinion as far as hobby growers are concerned.

Your baby bhut does look gnarly! Gonna be one pissed off cowhorn when it grows up! Aji lookin good too my man! You're not far off from harvest time! :dance:

The few Rocotos that are on my plants have already decided it's harvest time. Not enough to do much with them, so I'll probably just toss them in some fried veggies later... they're little guys.

IMGP4556.jpg

Figured I'd do a few more pod shots.

IMGP4557.jpg

The Cumari are certainly as prolific as they say...

IMGP4575.jpg

A not-so-brainy Brain Straw Yellow

IMGP4564.jpg

Limon pods are starting to light up

IMGP4567.jpg

Peeking under the covers of White Hab

IMGP4569.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion cross number 1

That they are...

Tonight I decided to go for some Aji de Gallina to use up the rest of the Aji Amarillo paste in the fridge. Hopefully this year I'll have some fresh peppers to use...

IMGP4578.jpg

I've been out of town and worried about the plants, but with a bit of daily watering they seem to be doing alright... this heat has been murder all around. We need rain, the lawn is crunchy now.

Anyway, some pics:

IMGP4644.jpg

Of all things, my Bell peppers are loving this weather. They are the biggest I've ever grown.

IMGP4646.jpg

Wiri Wiri are starting to ripen up.

IMGP4649.jpg

Some of the Tepin x Jalapeno (okay, in fairness, it might be a Tepin x Bulgarian Carrot, I forgot I had that last year) have gone upright.

IMGP4656.jpg

Pequin with unusually upright growth compared to its brother.

IMGP4659.jpg

Aji Amarillo pod.

IMGP4664.jpg

Prik Ki Nu

IMGP4662.jpg

Brandywine tomato... now if I can just keep the deer away.

IMGP4660.jpg

The Not-Brain-Strain-Yellow. All of the pods on the plant look like this. This one is starting to blush, so we'll see if it ripens to yellow at least.

IMGP4655.jpg

The Not-Trinidad-Scorpion. Maybe a cross, maybe something else entirely.

IMGP4672.jpg

A week's harvest... did I mention the White Habs are proliic? :party:

Looking good in the upper midwest! Did you overwinter the white habs? We're really dry and crunchy here too... the flip side of having sandy, well-drained soil I guess. It was like this last year too.

Yeah, I overwintered a couple of the plants. They produced a bit earlier than my starts but they're all about the same size right now. I think I won't cut them back as much this year if I decide to overwinter them again.

My other Brain Strain yellow might actually be ripening to yellow... it kind of has an orangish tinge to it, but nothing unusual at this point. In fairness, this is an early pod, I've included a shot of some of the later pods that have a more typical, if a bit elongate, shape.

IMGP4693.jpg

Later Pods:
IMGP4699.jpg

Other plant's pods:
IMGP4700.jpg

It's fun watching the variability.

IMGP4678.jpg

The annums are about the only things taking well to this heat. Here's the Tepin cross.

IMGP4687.jpg

Pequin

IMGP4686.jpg

First ripe pod on my other Scorpion cross.

IMGP4681.jpg

And a visitor when I was out picking some pods.

Well, the other Yellow Brain Strain is not yellow... more of a safety orange/creamsicle color right now. I'll leave it on for a bit to see if it gets darker or goes to red.

IMGP4705.jpg

Back