• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

synclinorium's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't actually started seeds yet, but it will be happening in the very near future... this year's growing season will almost certainly be cut short for reasons I won't go into, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy seed starting... think of this as a healthy start on my overwinters for the year.

I've narrowed down my grow list to the following for 2012. With a couple exceptions I only plan on doing 1 or 2 of each variety, and some might be cut for space reasons, TBD. The superhots will be going into the trays as soon as I get my supplies, with the rest following shortly afterwards. My setup is slightly less ghetto than last year, but don't expect anything too fancy. Anyway, the selection, including any overwinters that make it to plant-out:

7Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Aji Amarillo (3 strains)
Bonda Ma Jacques/Datil/Fatalii
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Cumari/Cumari Pollux/Cumari o Passarinho in some combination
Jalapeno
Limon
Prik chee fa/Prik ki nu
Red Rocoto
Tepin/Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion BT
White Habanero
Wiri Wiri

Considering the fact that this growing season will be short, I didn't really want to bother with more pubescens or baccatums aside from my overwinters, and the wilds and superhots I'm just doing for fun. I'll probably do several more Aji Amarillo plants than the rest, as they are mild enough that my housemate uses them on a regular basis, so I won't feel bad about leaving plants with her.

I'm also open to suggestions for other varieties. I'd like to have as broad a flavor profile as possible without turning my entire backyard into a pepper garden (not that I would have an issue with this if I owned property, but I don't think my current landlord would appreciate it...)

Crazy pod variations! Hope the flavor is Kick-A as well! You got a lot of crosses going right now! Bet its fun growing this stuff with no idea what is gonna turn up.

Few pod pics since it's a beautiful day.

IMGP4262.jpg

I've been wanting and waiting for the Rocoto to set more pods in this cool weather, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen... I'll probably have a repeat of last year, where the plants grew huge and set dozens of pods come fall that didn't quite ripen in time. Ah well. I'll keep overwintering the plants in the hopes that maybe I'll live somewhere a bit more hospitable to c. pubescens. In the meantime, I'll make do with the few pods that have set.

IMGP4244.jpg

Hard to get a good shot of the Wiri Wiri, but it's finally starting to pod up like mad.

IMGP4236.jpg

Here's something interesting: My Cumari from Semillas has elongate pods. Maybe they'll fatten up a bit.

IMGP4270.jpg

Bolivian Small Red starting to ripen.

IMGP4252.jpg

Some beautiful Brain Strain Yellows.

IMGP4257.jpg

Modest harvest for the day, Serrano and Aji Habanero. Think that serrano is destined for an omelet later...

IMGP4268.jpg

On a whim I bought this Rose of Sharon 'Blue Chiffon,' just started flowering. Never encountered a blue Rose of Sharon before.

Few pod pics since it's a beautiful day.

IMGP4262.jpg

I've been wanting and waiting for the Rocoto to set more pods in this cool weather, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen... I'll probably have a repeat of last year, where the plants grew huge and set dozens of pods come fall that didn't quite ripen in time. Ah well. I'll keep overwintering the plants in the hopes that maybe I'll live somewhere a bit more hospitable to c. pubescens. In the meantime, I'll make do with the few pods that have set.

IMGP4244.jpg

Hard to get a good shot of the Wiri Wiri, but it's finally starting to pod up like mad.

IMGP4236.jpg

Here's something interesting: My Cumari from Semillas has elongate pods. Maybe they'll fatten up a bit.

IMGP4270.jpg

Bolivian Small Red starting to ripen.

IMGP4252.jpg

Some beautiful Brain Strain Yellows.

IMGP4257.jpg

Modest harvest for the day, Serrano and Aji Habanero. Think that serrano is destined for an omelet later...

IMGP4268.jpg

On a whim I bought this Rose of Sharon 'Blue Chiffon,' just started flowering. Never encountered a blue Rose of Sharon before.

nice pods and that brain will be monster, your wiri-wiri what do they taste like?and i heard that they hard to grow seems u did a great job on that baby

nice pods and that brain will be monster, your wiri-wiri what do they taste like?and i heard that they hard to grow seems u did a great job on that baby

The couple ripe pods I've had are similar to most chinense in terms of flavor, but there's something unique about them that I can't quite put my finger on. I like them better than most chinense I've tried, but honestly, I hate chinense flavor on its own, so I'm not a good judge of these things.

Top notch, Sync! It's always fun to see what' happening in Illinois South!
Those Yellow Brains are something to see. They should look
awesome when they ripen!

Looks like the plants are really enjoying the sun they are able to get.

Thanks, Paul. Yeah, I'm looking forward to more fresh Brains...

Wandered around the yard tonight and found this little guy hanging out on the Dragon Fruit:

IMGP4283.jpg

IMGP4289.jpg

One of my late starts, Prik ki nu. Can't for the life of me remember where I got the seed from. I think it's a frutescens, if not my only frutescens this year is a Peri Peri that is taking its sweet time growing...

Cool frog pic, Sync!
My only frutescens didn't germ for me this year.
Will try gain next year!
I'll just enjoy yours, for now.

Yeah, I did Tabascos last year but they didn't survive winter... user error. Ah well.

This has been a fun experiment with the Aji Habaneros. The ones I planted in shade (as in, they get maybe an hour of morning sun) are finally hitting their stride, growth is lush and pods are setting like crazy. I like how the normal sturdy but droopy growth has turned more vine-like in the shade. I can easily see them as an understory plant growing amongst other plants for support. In the future I might experiment with a staggered start and plant these guys in the shade of taller varieties, as they seem to like filtered sunlight best.

IMGP4293.jpg

IMGP4299.jpg

That frog pic is so cool!!! How big is the dragon fruit? Just wondering about his size.

I'm amazed at how far along your grow is. Are you in zone 6 or 7?

Those Aji Habs are really rockin in the shade! Good to know! I have several spots to try a couple varieties in that way! Thanks for the tip. Also love the frog pic. Most people hated the tree frogs when I lived down in TX because of the constant noise. I always thought they were cool, and liked their night time noises. Fascinates me how those little dudes and geckos can walk right up a vertical pane of glass!

Pics are top notch, keep them coming!
Shane

Those Aji Habs are really rockin in the shade! Good to know! I have several spots to try a couple varieties in that way! Thanks for the tip. Also love the frog pic. Most people hated the tree frogs when I lived down in TX because of the constant noise. I always thought they were cool, and liked their night time noises. Fascinates me how those little dudes and geckos can walk right up a vertical pane of glass!

Pics are top notch, keep them coming!
Shane

I had the Rocotos in that spot last year, it got so hot in the summer I figured it was the only way to have any hope of getting pods off them... still didn't help, oh well. Nice thing about that location is since the walls are white it gets a bit of ambient light, which helps immensely. Plants are very slow to start in shade, but after a while the leaves get larger and they make do, but I've only had good luck with baccatums and pubescens in shade (which I guess makes sense since it's probably the heat of direct sun that adversely affects their growth). Still, I'm beginning to wonder if I should put the superhots in filtered sunlight too- their leaves are so large that they almost always wilt during the daytime, so I don't think it's doing them much good to keep them in full sun.

I'll post some more pics, including the Dragon Fruit, in a bit. The Dragon Fruit vines are as thick as my arm at some points, but that shot is near the tip so that frog is small by comparison.

Just popped the first ripe Tepin x Jalapeno off the plant, a bit rounder than the rest.
IMGP4350.jpg

Since I knew this pod wasn't isolated, I just popped it in my mouth. Strange medium burn that focused on the tip of my tongue and moved forward to my lips, but not nearly as hot as I was expecting with a Tepin mother. It has the subtle sweetness I'd expect of a ripe Jalapeno but the flavor is more generically-annum-ish tending toward the tepin's flavor. It's been a while since I've had a ripe Jalapeno so I'll need to find one to compare. This one was a bit less seedy than the previous one.

IMGP4302.jpg

IMGP4308.jpg

Here's the Dragon Fruit... second shot also includes my citrus, Jasmine, and tea plants. My little corner of way-outside-of-their-appropriate-zones.

IMGP4319.jpg

The Mini Mini I've more or less left to the birds... it's a nice plant, but the pods are tiny.

IMGP4323.jpg

A few White Habs hiding under the leaves.

IMGP4324.jpg

Cumari ou Passarinho... or however that's spelled. It's starting to set pods.

IMGP4336.jpg

This is what I was talking about with the Aji Habaneros drooping. Unsupported it certainly makes for an impressive potted specimen.

IMGP4329.jpg

Limon... seriously loaded with pods.

IMGP4341.jpg

Rocoto is definitely going to be a monster by the end of the year, even if it doesn't set many pods in the meantime...

IMGP4343.jpg

This is an interesting plant; sideritis syriaca, or Greek Mountain Tea. Supposed to make a tasty and nutritious tisane.

I've only had good luck with baccatums and pubescens in shade (which I guess makes sense since it's probably the heat of direct sun that adversely affects their growth).
Okay, now I'm wondering. Shane said he had his manzanos in full sun a while back.

I've only had good luck with baccatums and pubescens in shade (which I guess makes sense since it's probably the heat of direct sun that adversely affects their growth).
Okay, now I'm wondering. Shane said he had his manzanos in full sun a while back.

Don't get me wrong, they do fine in sun. It's just it gets so hot here the only hope I have of setting pods is getting some shade on them.

(And really, nothing does well when the temps get above 100, but the baccatums and pubescens seem to take it worst...)

Don't get me wrong, they do fine in sun. It's just it gets so hot here the only hope I have of setting pods is getting some shade on them.

(And really, nothing does well when the temps get above 100, but the baccatums and pubescens seem to take it worst...)
Okay, thanks for clarifying, Sync. I guess in our climate, they
should be oksy in sun. We do get a few hi 90's and even a few
100's, but I can throw a shade cloth over them,then, I guess.

I'd just watch them. The impact on baccatums is minimal, but I've noticed they tend to be more sensitive to high temperatures than say, annum or chinense. I can't imagine you having issues in Oregon, it's persistent high temperatures that pubescens can't deal with- our heat index will be in the 120 range for a while in late July. I think the Rocoto is just about done setting pods until late September- I've only ever had pods set when the daytime temps are in the 70s. Having them in the shade just gives me a couple more weeks of wiggle room in the late spring and early fall.

I'd just watch them. The impact on baccatums is minimal, but I've noticed they tend to be more sensitive to high temperatures than say, annum or chinense. I can't imagine you having issues in Oregon, it's persistent high temperatures that pubescens can't deal with- our heat index will be in the 120 range for a while in late July. I think the Rocoto is just about done setting pods until late September- I've only ever had pods set when the daytime temps are in the 70s. Having them in the shade just gives me a couple more weeks of wiggle room in the late spring and early fall.

How many pods are on it now about?

Haha, like, 12 total. This is with me shaking them on a daily basis and hand pollinating a few. I just haven't had much luck with pubescens thus far.

There's a pepper grower locally that just had a bemused look on his face when I told him I was growing Rocotos. Apparently this is a terrible place for them. Oh well.

Have spent some time in Puerto Rico with the coquis, and I agree that frogs are awesome at night. Owls too.

Its interesting that this has not been my experience. BUT...I wouldn't put too much faith in my observations because of the variables associated with growing in pots on a deck with mixed shade. But since you didn't ask, I'll share anyway. :)

My kaleidoscopes and BAC59365s handle the heat very well, as does my Aji Omnicolor. And although my Criolla Sella doesn't seem to like the heat (day wilt), it does, for some crazy reason continue to put out pods even when most annuums and almost all chinenses have ceased production.

Honestly, chinenses have come to the point where many of them just make me crazy with fickle and narrow pollination zones. There are exceptions, of course. My Chocolate Habs are champs, as well as my Yellow Bhuts. And Gary's Congo Trinidads are now on my good list, too. But there are others that make me crazy.

ANYWAY...carry on. Your glog is fantastic, sync. Its one of my favs here.

Haha, like, 12 total. This is with me shaking them on a daily basis and hand pollinating a few. I just haven't had much luck with pubescens thus far.

There's a pepper grower locally that just had a bemused look on his face when I told him I was growing Rocotos. Apparently this is a terrible place for them. Oh well.

Where IS the good place for pubescens, anyway? A lab? ;)

Back