• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

synclinorium's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't actually started seeds yet, but it will be happening in the very near future... this year's growing season will almost certainly be cut short for reasons I won't go into, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy seed starting... think of this as a healthy start on my overwinters for the year.

I've narrowed down my grow list to the following for 2012. With a couple exceptions I only plan on doing 1 or 2 of each variety, and some might be cut for space reasons, TBD. The superhots will be going into the trays as soon as I get my supplies, with the rest following shortly afterwards. My setup is slightly less ghetto than last year, but don't expect anything too fancy. Anyway, the selection, including any overwinters that make it to plant-out:

7Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Aji Amarillo (3 strains)
Bonda Ma Jacques/Datil/Fatalii
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Cumari/Cumari Pollux/Cumari o Passarinho in some combination
Jalapeno
Limon
Prik chee fa/Prik ki nu
Red Rocoto
Tepin/Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion BT
White Habanero
Wiri Wiri

Considering the fact that this growing season will be short, I didn't really want to bother with more pubescens or baccatums aside from my overwinters, and the wilds and superhots I'm just doing for fun. I'll probably do several more Aji Amarillo plants than the rest, as they are mild enough that my housemate uses them on a regular basis, so I won't feel bad about leaving plants with her.

I'm also open to suggestions for other varieties. I'd like to have as broad a flavor profile as possible without turning my entire backyard into a pepper garden (not that I would have an issue with this if I owned property, but I don't think my current landlord would appreciate it...)

I'd just watch them. The impact on baccatums is minimal, but I've noticed they tend to be more sensitive to high temperatures than say, annum or chinense. I can't imagine you having issues in Oregon, it's persistent high temperatures that pubescens can't deal with- our heat index will be in the 120 range for a while in late July. I think the Rocoto is just about done setting pods until late September- I've only ever had pods set when the daytime temps are in the 70s. Having them in the shade just gives me a couple more weeks of wiggle room in the late spring and early fall.

Its interesting that this has not been my experience. BUT...I wouldn't put too much faith in my observations because of the variables associated with growing in pots on a deck with mixed shade. But since you didn't ask, I'll share anyway. :)

My kaleidoscopes and BAC59365s handle the heat very well, as does my Aji Omnicolor. And although my Criolla Sella doesn't seem to like the heat (day wilt), it does, for some crazy reason continue to put out pods even when most annuums and almost all chinenses have ceased production.

Honestly, chinenses have come to the point where many of them just make me crazy with fickle and narrow pollination zones. There are exceptions, of course. My Chocolate Habs are champs, as well as my Yellow Bhuts. And Gary's Congo Trinidads are now on my good list, too. But there are others that make me crazy.

ANYWAY...carry on. Your glog is fantastic, sync. Its one of my favs here.

Haha, like, 12 total. This is with me shaking them on a daily basis and hand pollinating a few. I just haven't had much luck with pubescens thus far.

There's a pepper grower locally that just had a bemused look on his face when I told him I was growing Rocotos. Apparently this is a terrible place for them. Oh well.

Where IS the good place for pubescens, anyway? A lab? ;)

Day wilt is the main issue I've noticed with the baccatums I've grown, pod set hasn't been a problem quite so much. I seem to have lucked out and chosen chinense varieties that set well regardless (Limon, White Habanero, Wiri Wiri, and Datils in particular seem to be completely indifferent to the conditions at the time and will put out pods on a regular basis). Superhots are a little more hit or miss, particularly the Trinidad Scorpion... my Scorpion cross has about 20 pods on it right now, while the Butch T has... zero. One of the nicer qualities of the cross is its ability to put out massive amounts of pods rather quickly. Whatever the father is, dem some good genes.

As for the pubes... tropical alpine, I'd wager. In fairness, they do much better in their second year, if it weren't for this ridiculously hot spring I would probably have five times as many pods on the plants. I also wonder if the plants are somewhat self-incompatible; last year I had all of the Rocotos next to each other, this year they're more spread out. Hmm. Things to think about. Maybe when the Blue Mystery gets going I'll move it over next to one of the Rocotos, it has purple flowers, maybe it will be compatible...

Oh yeah, and TOP!

I update too much, but oh well. What else am I going to do when I wander around the garden in the mornings if not snap photos?

As far as the Aji Habaneros are concerned, I love seeing the variation in pods even within a single variety... somehow I ended up with literally dozens of seedlings this year, and I held onto most of them. Last year I noticed variations in pod structure, which carried into the seedlings this year.

IMGP4355.jpg

IMGP4358.jpg

IMGP4360.jpg

First shot is of one of my overwinters, which has the smaller, irregular, pinched bottom pods I tend to associate with Aji Habanero. Second is another type I noted, which is more uniformly rounded and elongate pods that come to a sharp point, a little thicker fleshed than the others. The last type is an elongate pod that is flattened in one direction with either a point or a nipple on the end, and is the largest pod type of the three.

IMGP4368.jpg

I also have a few Aji Amarlllos, a couple pictured here, seed either came from Semillas or Judy at pepperlover, I don't remember... I haven't been giving these guys much face time as they haven't been nearly as happy as the Aji Habs. Don't know what makes them more finicky, but they are just starting to flower now.

IMGP4361.jpg

IMGP4365.jpg

Think my Datil cross may have been a false alarm, the pods are starting to come in now and look similar to the overwinter's. Just a late bloomer, so to speak. Plant is one of my happiest- if I had to pick just a few varieties to grow Datil would definitely be on that list.

IMGP4375.jpg

Bhut Jolokia... no pods as of yet, but the plant looks good.

IMGP4370.jpg

Wiri Wiri is quickly becoming one of my favorite peppers. I tried another pod yesterday, unique flavor with a subtle sweetness different than any chinense I've tried so far, heat was surprisingly mild but that may have just been an odd pod.

IMGP4377.jpg

Ew, I think the invisible demons have taken up residence on one of my Rocotos. Bah.

Nabbed a ripe Tepin x Jalapeno pod (in all honestly, I don't know who the father is. I thought Jalapeno at first, but the interior of the pod kind of reminds me more of the bell, but the pod shape is clearly more Jalapeno-like). Ends up being like a fleshier pequin, nice fat seeds compared to the Tepin.

IMGP4386.jpg

IMGP4389.jpg

Tepin x Bell would be significantly less interesting, but we'll see.

I'm crazy, but I'm starting some more seeds. I did this last year too with a few wilds; since I don't know what I like yet, I figure I'll just overwinter anything worthwhile... since the wilds take longer to mature and tend to be a bit more finicky, I just consider this to be a very early start on next season...

Anyway, here's the list: some of these seeds are old, so I doubt most of them will germinate anyway. We'll see.

Cumari Pollux
Goat Pepper (CGN 20805/PI 260596)
PI 147882
CGN 22795

Capsicum lanceolatum
Capsicum rhomboideum
Capsicum parvifolium

I wanna see who the lawyer is who'd take on THAT paternity suit! :rofl:

Oh yeah, I know. The other would-be tepin is even worse, kind of resembles a normal tepin but it's a bit larger and grows at pretty much every angle *except* upright. Can't tell if it's just an odd duck or momma tepin got around... :think: :lol:

Aji Habaneros are pretty, I'll have to look into them for next year. My 2012 baccatums are Aji Limon, Aji Cristal, Guyana, Queen Laurie and one unknown (maybe Uba Tuba)... some grow better than others...

Aji Habaneros are pretty, I'll have to look into them for next year. My 2012 baccatums are Aji Limon, Aji Cristal, Guyana, Queen Laurie and one unknown (maybe Uba Tuba)... some grow better than others...

I liked the Aji Cristal last year... my plants didn't survive winter though, didn't water them enough. Same goes for the Prik Chee Fahs, Tabascos, and one of my Datils. Oh well.

It rained yesterday, probably the first prolonged storm we've had in... months. The plants really needed it.

I apologize for the quality of some of these... my camera refuses to focus properly in high or low light conditions.

IMGP4400.jpg

My other Tepin that I decided to stick in the ground. Not 100% positive this is truly a Tepin and not a cross, I'll have to wait on seeing more pods.

IMGP4403.jpg

Big Jims. Thought I'd try something a little milder this year.

IMGP4408.jpg

One of several mystery starts I have, a mystery mainly because the tags wore off... definitely chinense, it's probably either a Bhut Jolokia Chocolate or one of the Cumari.

IMGP4410.jpg

One of my 7Pod BS Yellows looks to be putting out pods with a more typical 7Pod shape. Don't know how stable Judy's seed is so I was wondering if any would look different.

Some tomatoes, which are probably benefiting most from the rain:

IMGP4415.jpg

Tons of Branywines... never tasted these before, but I've heard rave reviews.

IMGP4420.jpg

San Marzanos

IMGP4422.jpg

Volunteers from this year... I think these are Black Cherry

Here's a few ripe Bolivian Small Red pods... a nice sharp baccatum flavor, typical of the wild baccatums. It'd probably make a good powder if I ever got enough to dry and grind up...

Also tried some fresh Aji Habanero pods as I wandered around the garden, they are quite mild... and they have some interesting sour notes I never really picked up on before.

IMGP4435.jpg

I'd just watch them. The impact on baccatums is minimal, but I've noticed they tend to be more sensitive to high temperatures than say, annum or chinense. I can't imagine you having issues in Oregon, it's persistent high temperatures that pubescens can't deal with- our heat index will be in the 120 range for a while in late July.
You are probably right. It is entirely possible we could get through
the summer without seeing a 95+ degree day, but we almost always
have a few. Your comments have eased my mind! Thanks, Sync!

You are probably right. It is entirely possible we could get through
the summer without seeing a 95+ degree day, but we almost always
have a few. Your comments have eased my mind! Thanks, Sync!

No problem! It's a balmy 84 right now and the Rocotos love it. Sadly about the best I can hope for in the middle of the summer... we're going back up to 90s by the end of the week.

And in fairness, the Rocotos will still grow like weeds in those high temps, but getting them to set pods is another matter...

No problem! It's a balmy 84 right now and the Rocotos love it. Sadly about the best I can hope for in the middle of the summer... we're going back up to 90s by the end of the week.

And in fairness, the Rocotos will still grow like weeds in those high temps, but getting them to set pods is another matter...
Okay, bro, good luck to you and your Rocotos!
They are too cool a variety not to be making you
totally happy! Here's hoping for moderated temps for ya.

Here's a shout-out to the little guys...

I am very curious about the origins of the Amish Bush Judy sells. At first glance, it looks similar to my Prik Ki Nu. I'll have to do a taste test at some point.

IMGP4449.jpg

Prik Ki Nu (Hom?)

IMGP4441.jpg

Amish Bush

IMGP4454.jpg

Most prolific chacoense... don't know what set this guy back, but he's hanging in there.

IMGP4462.jpg

My year-old (birthday is sometime this week if I recall) Bolivian Small Red, growing into a respectable bush.

On the not-so-small side of things, here's a C01225 flower and pod. It was given to me as c. eximium. Admittedly I don't know enough about eximium to make this assessment, but it certainly doesn't look like any eximium I've encountered...

IMGP4457.jpg

IMGP4456.jpg

Nice, sync. Always something interesting here.
That Bolivian Small Red looks like it will be an awesome shrub!

Decided to do a grow video while wandering around the garden. I will pronounce the Tepin correctly eventually. Tay-peen. TAY-PEEN. Oh well. I apologize for any other quirky pronunciations.

Teh-peen, Devin. Sounds like you nailed it to me.

Nice vid!

"Datilish" sounds like a marketing campaign pitch for that particular pepper. lol.

Bell peppers suck so bad for production. Its nice to see that it isn't just me. I dig 'em, but you need a proper farm to get any yields of note.

You've got quite a garden, man!

KUTGW!

Teh-peen, Devin. Sounds like you nailed it to me.

Nice vid!

"Datilish" sounds like a marketing campaign pitch for that particular pepper. lol.

Bell peppers suck so bad for production. Its nice to see that it isn't just me. I dig 'em, but you need a proper farm to get any yields of note.

You've got quite a garden, man!

KUTGW!

Ah man, you mean I've been pronouncing it right all along? Here I've been trying to correct myself...

My housemate wanted me to do bells in spite of my protests. I never get much off them. Such a waste of space. Either the bugs eat them first or they get sunburnt all to heck.

Thanks for the kind words.

Spanish vowels are...

a = ah
e = eh
i = ee
o = oh
u = oo
y = ee

I'm sure I'm not using proper symbols on the translation, but you can figure it, I'm sure.

Makes sense. French is similar.

I'll be trying my hand at a few crosses for next year, or whenever I get around to growing them. I have more fun with cross-species hybrids, so that's the plan... some ideas:

Mini Mini x Wiri Wiri
Bolivian Small Red x 7Pot
Big Jim x Aji Amarillo
Wiri Wiri x Malawi Peppadew
Peri Peri x Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Limon x Pusa Jwala

Limons are already elongate for a chinense, they look pretty cool in my opinion, the colors definitely remind you of citrus. Some are almost claw-like in appearance.

IMGP4467.jpg

I don't know what my growing situation is going to be like next year, but eventually I'd like about half of my grow to be devoted solely to wilds and crosses.

I'm excited about these Brain Strain Yellows. A few have decided to have stingers...

IMGP4525.jpg

IMGP4528.jpg

And just to spite me, my bell peppers have ballooned in size. This may be the first year I actually get full-sized pods off the plants...

IMGP4531.jpg

Back