• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

synclinorium's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't actually started seeds yet, but it will be happening in the very near future... this year's growing season will almost certainly be cut short for reasons I won't go into, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy seed starting... think of this as a healthy start on my overwinters for the year.

I've narrowed down my grow list to the following for 2012. With a couple exceptions I only plan on doing 1 or 2 of each variety, and some might be cut for space reasons, TBD. The superhots will be going into the trays as soon as I get my supplies, with the rest following shortly afterwards. My setup is slightly less ghetto than last year, but don't expect anything too fancy. Anyway, the selection, including any overwinters that make it to plant-out:

7Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Aji Amarillo (3 strains)
Bonda Ma Jacques/Datil/Fatalii
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Cumari/Cumari Pollux/Cumari o Passarinho in some combination
Jalapeno
Limon
Prik chee fa/Prik ki nu
Red Rocoto
Tepin/Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion BT
White Habanero
Wiri Wiri

Considering the fact that this growing season will be short, I didn't really want to bother with more pubescens or baccatums aside from my overwinters, and the wilds and superhots I'm just doing for fun. I'll probably do several more Aji Amarillo plants than the rest, as they are mild enough that my housemate uses them on a regular basis, so I won't feel bad about leaving plants with her.

I'm also open to suggestions for other varieties. I'd like to have as broad a flavor profile as possible without turning my entire backyard into a pepper garden (not that I would have an issue with this if I owned property, but I don't think my current landlord would appreciate it...)

Yeah, his grow is looking suspiciously Southern California - ish, or Florida -ish. Maybe the snow covered mountaintop avatar is just to throw us off the scent. :rofl:

WOW! They're really kickin! Looking freaking amazing! You sure you're in Illinois?
Yeah, his grow is looking suspiciously Southern California - ish, or Florida -ish. Maybe the snow covered mountaintop avatar is just to throw us off the scent. :rofl:

Haha, still in Illinois last I checked...

According to Wikipedia the humid subtropical climate zone pokes its way into southern Illinois, so that might have something to do with it. We're currently experiencing optimal pepper growing weather.

Figured I'd do an update for some the crosses.

IMGP3802.jpg

IMGP3805.jpg

IMGP3810.jpg

I don't know if I'd go so far as calling this one a cross, but I've noticed two phenotypes in my Aji Amarillo small strains... first photos shows the typical larger somewhat flattened pods, the second has smaller, narrower, and more uniform smooth pods with a slightly different growth habit. The one thing that makes me suspicious is that the pods on the second plant seem to form in clusters around a node, kind of reminiscent of my Thai peppers last year.

IMGP3812.jpg

Tepin x Jalapeno. It's growing strong at the moment, I can see it making an attractive little shrub when it's older.

IMGP3829.jpg

I'm about 90% certain this is a cross given that I wasn't able to successfully identify it last year. It was supposed to be a Trinidad Scorpion; after talking with the seller we think it might be a Trinidad Scorpion x Ecuadorian Devil's Breath, but I really don't know given that it was an ebay purchase (never again...). Pods are wonky in any event. I think I have a few of the F2s going in my mixed bag starts, so I'll know for sure later in the season.

That Jalapepin thing is pretty cool. If the fruit have the thickness of a jalapeno and the bite of a tepin, that's a nice mix, IMO. I can't ever get my spoiled jalapenos to actually be hot.

That Jalapepin thing is pretty cool. If the fruit have the thickness of a jalapeno and the bite of a tepin, that's a nice mix, IMO. I can't ever get my spoiled jalapenos to actually be hot.

For their size the walls are thick, but they're seedy as hell (makes the prospect of growing out the cross easier, but that's something I'd like to breed out if I can, though tepins are kind of notorious for this). I'll wait and see how they taste when they're ripe. I imagine they'd make some nice chipotle.

IMGP3412.jpg

Apparently the birds have discovered the peppers, I will need to invest in bird netting...

They can have the Mini Minis, too much of a pain to pick, but going after my Brazilian small reds and Tepin crosses? No sir.

:shame:

(this adds another layer of challenge to isolating pods that I never really considered)

Tepin x Jalapeno looks cool, but it sounds like you will have to wait to taste. Or if it is F1, almost doesn't matter since F2 is where you'll see if there's anything worth keeping...

Plants aren't looking as good as they should, I'm a bit concerned because May is supposed to be our wettest month and we've received a negligible amount of rain so far... I can already hear the farmers grumbling. This could be a bad summer, you can see the grass starting to dry up in some of the pictures.

Anyway, I've had to do some manual watering, not as good as rainwater but the plants are still at it. Chinenses in particular are starting to take off.

IMGP3860.jpg

7Pot really starting to bush out. Still only have a few pods set, which is the same story as the rest of the plants, but the more time they spent growing the better off they'll be later in the year...

IMGP3855.jpg

White Habs definitely win for bushiness. This is one of the overwinters, but even the starts look similar. There are already a handful of ripe pods on the plants. Very consistent producers. I've noticed the pods on these tend to grow horizontally at first, and given that I the other tepin I'm growing also has horizontal pods and something of a chinense aroma, I'm beginning to think that this guy:

IMGP3890.jpg

... is a Tepin x White Habanero

IMGP3864.jpg

The growth on the Wiri Wiri is so thick that I can't even see the pods anymore. Nice because maybe the birds won't bother them.

IMGP3873.jpg

I'm beginning to think this Datil is actually a Datil x White Habanero, the few pods that have set are small and bullet shaped. Looks like the White Hab got a little frisky last year...

IMGP3892.jpg

First flowers on the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. The Bhut Jolokia looks similar but a bit squatter.

IMGP3884.jpg

My little Rocoto patch. I'd say there are about 15 pods between the plants currently, they're finally starting to drop their overwinter leaves (about time).

IMGP3897.jpg

Lots of pods on the Brazilian Small Red. This will be one the birds go for I'm sure... I'm curious to see how they taste, might be one I experiment with crosses for next year.

Finally got the rain I wanted and the plants have exploded overnight... always amazing what a little rain can do in spite of all of our effort controlling ferts, watering, etc.

I seem to have successfully selected for the more rounded berry like trait in the White Habs... I noticed two pod habits growing them last year, one with a more typical irregular Habish appearance and the other rounded akin to wild forms. All of my starts this year have the round shape. A comparison:

IMGP3952.jpg

IMGP3948.jpg

The difference is only superficial, but I think the plant looks more attractive loaded up with small rounded white pods.

IMGP3951.jpg

Wiri Wiri ripening. Not many other pods set on this yet, but if it wants to keep growing for now all the better...

IMGP3944.jpg

The Mini Mini is becoming quite substantial. I'm hoping this is one I can shake to harvest, the pods being so small and hidden in the foliage.

IMGP3942.jpg

The Datil is doing well. Plant is still compact, but it's putting out pods on a fairly regular basis.

IMGP3936.jpg

Somebody regrets their choice of a meal...

IMGP3907.jpg

First flower on the C. eximium C01225. I remember reading that this was a white-flowered variety, and sure enough... no idea what the pods look like though, so this should be fun.

IMGP3938.jpg

Here's something noteworthy: pods are ripening on my mystery baccatum I've been calling a Aji Amarillo small, making this my second start of the season to put out ripe pods (behind White Habs). As you can tell, these are about as frustrating as the White Habs to tell when they're ripe, as they never quite achieve the deep orange color of a true Aji Amarillo and the pods start off very light green.

Outstanding, Sync! Your pepper plants are worthy of emulation!
Just one great pod after another and some interesting crosses
(Another thing to put on my later list!)

Speaking of crosses... I think I'll just call this post "The Experiment"

IMGP3961.jpg

I started a lot of peppers this year for the space I had, yet I couldn't bring myself to get rid of more than a handful. As a compromise, I made space in the garden and I'm going to let them fight Highlander-style- too many peppers in too small of a space with only filtered sun. This little patch should be interesting as it is all unisolated, mixed bag chinenses from last season, most of them should be F2s (I spent about an hour picking through the seeds I had in search of ones with the right color flesh attached), but there might be a few that produce true or even some three-way crosses. I'll just nix any that don't look interesting to make room for the rest.

IMGP3967.jpg

Also found a little space in the vegetable garden for two more 7Pod seedlings (like I need them) and a Wiri Wiri in the front. They were planted a little earlier and are starting to take off.

IMGP3969.jpg

This one is fun, this spot only gets about an hour of morning sunlight and is otherwise in the shade, causing these small strain Aji Amarillo to take on a vine-like habit. I think I'll need a bigger improvised trellis... pod set is obviously not as high as those in the sun, but the pods are still substantial:

IMGP3978.jpg

Weather's heating up again and everything is taking off... something is eating my cucumber seedlings, but other than that no issues. It's quiet... too quiet.

Anyway, the chinenses in particular are looking mighty fine. This is why I never bother topping my plants; they do just fine on their own (although I need to hit them with some Cal-Mag).

IMGP4044.jpg

White Habs

IMGP4042.jpg

Wiri Wiri (can I call a plant sexy? Because this is a sexy plant)

IMGP4049.jpg

IMGP4051.jpg

... though the 7Pod Brain Strain Yellow might be even better

IMGP4047.jpg

F1 Trinidad Scorpion cross. Don't know who the father is, but you can see the mother coming out in the early pods.

IMGP4056.jpg

I've never grown Serranos before, so it's nice to see some pod set. Not even sure what to do with them... hmm...

IMGP4034.jpg

IMGP4035.jpg

This is supposed to be a Datil, but this is a case of hybrid vigor if I ever saw it. The pods are comically small. Probably a White Hab father, since the only other other pod smaller was the Tepin. Damn White Hab breeding with everything...

IMGP4061.jpg

Rocoto pod for your viewing pleasure.

Sync,

Your Moreau island is looking good. But I fear for the horrific residuals your plants are suffering in the But-R-Cream Icing buckets. You are one consonant away from what must be some seriously steroidal plants.

I'm worried about you...and your Bhuts.

I used Serranos last year in my salsa, and also to make pepper jelly. You better come up with a plan for them though, because they are extremely productive!

All of your plants are so lush, and healthy looking. You should be swimming in pods soon!

Sync,

Your Moreau island is looking good. But I fear for the horrific residuals your plants are suffering in the But-R-Cream Icing buckets. You are one consonant away from what must be some seriously steroidal plants.

I'm worried about you...and your Bhuts.

:rofl:

Don't remind me. Icing in a bucket... ew...

I used Serranos last year in my salsa, and also to make pepper jelly. You better come up with a plan for them though, because they are extremely productive!

All of your plants are so lush, and healthy looking. You should be swimming in pods soon!

Sounds good! More pods is never a bad thing.

Sync, my Serano's look different - shorter, fatter. Kind of like a stunted - more even - jalapeno.

Want to see a picture?

Sure. I just picked these up at a local garden center because they looked healthy and I didn't have any annums at that point. These are looking to be long and thin, we just got some in at the grocery store that are like that.

You know, i think Ken is right. After looking at your picture again, it does look different than mine. Here's a shot of mine loaded down last summer.

SerranoTampiquenoingarden8-31-11.jpg

You can see they are not quite as slender as yours, but still smaller than an average jalapeno. Also, they are more of a light green, where yours looks pretty dark in the picture.

Back