Tabasco is at it again

Greetings Pepper People:

A lot of you have been awaiting the release of my Blue's Habanero Reserve. I, at first was going to do a limited quantity, kinda like "while quantities last". The demand is to the point that I can sell pallets instead of cases.

My co-packer has searched the country for the quantity of red savinas that I need for mass production. It seems that Tabasco has bought up almost all contracts with the big growers that have very consistant peppers. The co-packer can find smaller quantities scattered around, but that will produce an inconsistant sauce. Any ideas?

Blue's
www.bluesbbq.net

imaguitargod said:
Hey Blue, I still have a little bit of the final prototype and used it as a marinade for a few burgers last night.....wow was it good!

Thanks man!

I am ready to go with the new sauce. It will be a little different than what you have, but close and thicker. Just waitin on labels and waiten and waiten.

Blue's

Blue said:
Understand the waiting part blue...we have ordered new high gloss labels for every one of our products and im sweating they will be here for the fiery food show in NM. They keep saying they will, but I havent even seen the proofs that are suppose to be here already. I guess I'll keep the last day before we travel open just for applying labels...

I first started on hot sauce as a kid with Tabasco. While I eat a variety of hot sauce's nowadays....I don't understand the Tabasco bashing. Is it because they are the biggest hot sauce maker or they have a hidden agenda? Have they "sold out" because I liked them first and now everyone else does too? I suppose they can considered the McDonalds of the hot sauce world but so what? Everyone knows what the product is and they sell heaps of it. So what gives...somebody 'splain me.

texas blues said:
I first started on hot sauce as a kid with Tabasco. While I eat a variety of hot sauce's nowadays....I don't understand the Tabasco bashing. Is it because they are the biggest hot sauce maker or they have a hidden agenda? Have they "sold out" because I liked them first and now everyone else does too? I suppose they can considered the McDonalds of the hot sauce world but so what? Everyone knows what the product is and they sell heaps of it. So what gives...somebody 'splain me.
My beef with Tobasco is the ingredients. It's just flavored vinegar in my opinion. I don't even classify it as hot sauce. When you go to buy some at the grocery store, it should be right next to the bottles of distilled vinegar.

Most of us would agree with ImALuteGod (sorry, I like that name better).

We probably should be more respectful of it because most of us probably did cut our teeth on Tabasco, Texas Pete, Crystal, Frank's, etc... but at the same time we would like the rest of the world to know what a GOOD hot sauce should be, and it's hard to get the word out because the Tabasco's of the world have a large chunk of marketshare and can undercut the price of good hot sauces. To the neophite, a $1.99 bottle of Tabasco is no different than a $6 bottle of something else. You have to be shown the difference before you understand it. As a personal example, I look at rice. Before I moved to Virginia Tech, rice was...rice. I lived with a Japanese guy my first year, and I had a good Indian friend, and when I invited my Indian friend over to show me how to cook Indian, the two got into a friendly debate over which rice was better...since then I learned that different rices have different qualities and I keep 4 different types of rice on hand because I understand what I'm paying the extra money for.

I have no beef against the actually company of Tabasco, I just don't like their sauce all that much, I find that the flavor overpowers the food rather than compliments it. With that said, I have sat idly by and listened to folks crush Franks which is still my daily spash (specially the Franks Hotter, yum)

I also think that for the small guys (read: most hot sauce makers on this post board) Tabasco does make it harder to move product in the ascpects of price and the ability (in Blue's case) to corner the market on a particular variety of pepper tus messing up the chance to even make a batch of sauce. They are the goliath and we are at the Davids and words are our stone and sling. Helps to bitch and moan among compadre's.

Groovy.

We dug up part of my lovely lawn today to make a vegetable patch for Mrs Shooty*. Well, actually, it wasn't like a fantastic lawn or anything, and I hate mowing, so I can't knock it really. ANYWAY... she went out and bought a load of seeds (leeks, carrots, lettuce, spinach, brocolli, etc) and, bless her, bought me some Tabasco seeds :)

"Oh," said I, "Red savinas?"

"Um... no... capsicum annuum tabasco".

Chuffed anyway, but what do they need the savinas for?

I must admit I like McIllhenney Tabasco, I like their hab variety also. my wife hates me having too much as the vinegar smell from my plate takes her breath away! it can be overpowering but is still much better than no chile at all!

Back