• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Tarantula Talk

Nice spiders there.

I'm a littlebit afraid of them but it's totally ok when they are in a box or terrarium.
The fear have worn off a little during the years tho.
Mainly because my brother in law + a friend of mina have spiders.

My brother in law has the coolest spider tho.
It's a Theraphosa blondi.
It was smaller than his other spider when it came in the house but now "goliat" has passed it & is getting bigger.:)
the size of it now is aproximatly the size of a CD, maybe slightly larger.
It has recently shedded skin & has a nice black color.
I don't know the sex of it but it would be nice if it was a female.

The other spider he has i don't remember the name of so i can't say what it is. It has a brownish color.

My friend has a small Grammostola rosea.

I can take a photo of Goliath next weekend & post here if it's ok.:)

Hey Patrick, how's it been going?

I have two spiders now, but probably going to have to part ways with them again since I'm moving soon. Got a great deal from someone on AB on a X immanis and P metallica. :drooling: Moving out of the country though, and don't feel like dealing with all the import/export red tape. :(

On the other end of the spectrum is the Theraphosa blondi, Goliath Bird Eater. This species is in the Guinness book for the largest leg span; just short of 12 inches or 30 cms.

Awesome pics Patrick.

Obvious question but, does the Goliath really eat birds, or is that a misnomer?

And, how many spiders do you have?

And, are they all tarantulas?

Neat hobby.

Well a fully grown Goliath is huge so if it could sneak up on a bird walked close to his "apartment" it would be an easy match for the spider.

Hey Patrick, how's it been going?

I have two spiders now, but probably going to have to part ways with them again since I'm moving soon. Got a great deal from someone on AB on a X immanis and P metallica. :drooling: Moving out of the country though, and don't feel like dealing with all the import/export red tape. :(

You need a babysitter again?

Great post. Right now I'd love to have Tarantulas again but few are legal here cept Haplopemas. I've love working with Avicularinae sub family as colors are great with cool webs and not to fast for what is out there. I loved working with brachs but a few 15 year got to senstive to the hairs. I think would be better Tarantula for my friends here as they are beginers, but I'll not work them here as don't like the itching. Plus still have 20 or 40 in Canada.

You are so right can't ever own them all. And was alway fun when we got egg sacks, only not so fun putting the babies in there own cages unless was Avic's and in the 80s.

Hiho,

Im a tarantula breeder.
Some month ago I had over 300 tarantulas and other invertebrates.
Since we are renovating, my spider room has to move and is now some m²
smaller, so I had to lower my stock.
Now I have left about 150 invertebrates and one Pacman Frog.

At the moment I concentrate on Avicularia spp. and Cyriocosmus spp.
in the tarantula section, and primarily the Sicariidae in the Araneomorphae
section.
I have a galore of pictures, but to post them all, phew that would overexcite
this topic.

So if anyone is interested I have all my pictures on Facebook and in my own
Spider Forum (but its in german and only for members)

Regards
Micha

You need a babysitter again?

Heh I just may. I really don't want to sell them..got a great deal on the pair. Neither seem up to being handled, but they are great looking spiders. I'll live in Japan for about 1.5 years..plus or minus 3 months. If I find a Japanese wife, it could be longer heh..I guess if that was the case, I'd consider moving them over. I appreciate the offer and will let you know once I can decide what I'm going to do. I fly out at the end of July, so still have a little time.

Awesome pics guys! I used to have a few tarantula's including a goliath bird eater, a couple of the old world arboreals, and the usual pink toes, but the prize of the collection was an usambara orange baboon. That guy was a nasty little critter. He'd get pissed every time I'd mist his habitat and rear up and you'd see the venom form a drip from the tips of the fangs. Cleaning the habitat I had several close calls where I thought I was in for a world of hurt.

Ah the Pterinochilus murinus aka "OBT" for Orange Bitey Thing. I can understand why it would be pissed when you misted it, they prefer their living conditions to be DRY! They don't have the best attitude to begin with though.

Is that P. metallica a female looking for some love? I've got a handsome young mature male coming over for a visit to spend a bit of time with my pretty lady. Be happy to introduce him if you like.

I've been T sitting for another friend going on five years now. He's going to be moving at the end of the month and will finally have room for them. I'm going to miss them but I'm happy they finally get to go home.

I used to have a female Brachypelma albopilum until earlier this year, when she died with 17 years of age:
She was a kinda big specimen( big in size not fat because of overfeeding ) and I had her for 10.
Unfortunately I was not "allowed"(read: did not want to make conflict over getting another) to get another spider for breeding purposes,
nor does it seem bright for me to get another one now, but I think in maybe 5 years I will have better options and keep some more non tetrapod animals.
BR
Jan

I've been keeping tarantulas now for about 12 years. Currently I have 47 specimens, and I have not acquired any new ones in over a year (a record!). At one point I think I had about 150-160! I love Brachypelmas. I have 3 that have been with me for 10 years now (1 B. smithi, 1 A. brocklehursti(sp?), and 1 G. rosea) and a few others not too far behind. It is fun watching them grow from tiny spiderlings to massive adults, but you sure have to be patient! Also, I love how low maintenance most of them are, even easier than caring for a cactus!

I have to avoid visiting tarantula forums now, otherwise I start to think I need some new ones......

all i can say is thanksgiving must be "hairy" at your house.

spiders don't really bother me but big ones and hairy ones do. i leave them alone especially in the garden but i would definitely kill a brown recluse if i saw one regardless of where it was. i've never come across one but i do keep my eyes peeled when getting firewood from the woodshed. brown recluses are very dangerous, i'm sure the most dangerous in my part of the country.

Nice looking Spiders Patrick, I love admiring them from a distance, but Oh man... I don't want them on me. They are truly beautiful though.
Have you ever gotten "Hair Sprayed" from that gnarly looking black one?

Does anyone have a good picture of a brown Recluse? We have them here and Black Widows. I don't know what a recluse looks like.
I knew someone who got bit by one, and it wasn't that bad, in the sense that he didn't die. It kind of scarred up his leg for a while (like months). His whole leg ached for a long time, and was all scabbed up.

brown recluse images

the bite from a brown recluse can be a very serious problem and in some cases fatal thought that is rare. you don't want to mess with them. no black widows here thankfully!

if you run your mouse over the pictures you will see that behind the head there is a violin shape, that's how to id them.

Good to see this thread coming back to life.

Jesse we need to talk! You've gone a whole year without adding something new and that isn't good. You could be having all kinds of issues! How's your appetite? You feel OK? Losing any hair? Losing your hearing? I have some babies for sale, might be able to fix you right up. I hang out at the American Tarantula Society site, stop by some time and say hi.

Thought it was time to get this thread back in action. This is one of my newer females. She's a Cyriocosmus ritae and is a dwarf tarantula. Her leg span is about 1.25" and when she's full grown she will be around 1.75". This deli cup will probably be her home for the rest of her life which I believe is in the neighborhood of 10 years.

I tried breeding her once before but she was too young. I will try again this summer.

Cyriocosmus ritae

DSC01611.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01615.jpg

Back