• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Test growing indoors

Omri said:
Just a simple person. working mainly with Graphics (good memory RB!) and computers. does a lot of "crafting" lately, but that's another story. I'm a just an overexcited hobby gardener who thinks there's no such thing as "too much knowledge".

I don't forget a thing, I have a memory like an elephant, obviously that's the only thing I have in common with elephants. You are clever though.

rainbowberry said:
I don't forget a thing, I have a memory like an elephant, obviously that's the only thing I have in common with elephants. You are clever though.
Aww... such an adorable person. :shocked:

rainbowberry said:
As far as I know Omri is none of them, but he is a very intelligent young man. I thought he was more like a graphics designer but don't take any notice of me.

How could I not take notice of you?

Omri said:
Just a simple person. working mainly with Graphics (good memory RB!) and computers. does a lot of "crafting" lately, but that's another story. I'm a just an overexcited hobby gardener who thinks there's no such thing as "too much knowledge".

That's true. But for me it's "So much to know, so little time!"

Armadillo said:
That's true. But for me it's "So much to know, so little time!"
You can never know everything, so there's always something to learn. life's like a really mean school with no teachers. :shocked:

Omri said:
You can never know everything, so there's always something to learn. life's like a really mean school with no teachers. :shocked:

No teachers? That's not true! There's Omri, there's AJ, there's Potawie, ... ;)

Armadillo said:
No teachers? That's not true! There's Omri, there's AJ, there's Potawie, ... ;)
I'm just a fellow student. did I mention the ridiculously high percentage of bullies? :shocked:

Nope I remembered from a post by Necrocannibal in 'The Lounge', not bad I suppose for a girl who likes to drink a lorry load of beer.

I'm finding this a very interesting thread. I'm going to try germinating seeds for the first time and have nothing set up. I guess just sticking the seeds into soil and hoping for the best won't do the trick when trying to germinate seeds from the Super-Hots! Yet, all this talk about LEDs and all sounds a bit intimidating. I want to give the little seeds the best possible chance for success without incurring the wrath of Mrs. Prairiechilihead - so no $1500 light set-up. In the simplest and least technical (and expensive) terms, what should I do?

PrairieChilihead said:
I'm finding this a very interesting thread. I'm going to try germinating seeds for the first time and have nothing set up. I guess just sticking the seeds into soil and hoping for the best won't do the trick when trying to germinate seeds from the Super-Hots! Yet, all this talk about LEDs and all sounds a bit intimidating. I want to give the little seeds the best possible chance for success without incurring the wrath of Mrs. Prairiechilihead - so no $1500 light set-up. In the simplest and least technical (and expensive) terms, what should I do?

Since it is my first serious attempt to germinate chili seeds I'm not the one to tell. 2008 I didn't know anything about chilis. I started too late, just put some seeds into soil, they somehow germinated. I transplanted bunches of them into too little pots. So I harvested about a handful of little pods.
This time I want to start in January and want to avoid mistakes. That's what this test is for. My setup is easy. A little windowsill "greenhouse" for 10 peat pellets. A desk lamp with a 15W ESL bulb shining 15 hours a day. The setup after transplantion has still to be designed.

Prairie,

I grew nearly 50 plants large enough to plant in the ground or in 5 gallon containers using just two shop lights so expensive lights are not necessary.

But I'm into not the real expensive lights (I cannot afford them) but the ones that will allow me to grow a huge number of plants, that I can sell to the general public, at the cheapest cost I can. I'm also like the idea of raising a couple of tomato, pepper and cucumber plants during the winter and the shop lights do not have enough power to do that, unless I want to ring each plant in lights.

If I was just going to raise about 50-60 plants, I would go with six 13-23 watt CFL bulbs. Plenty of light, at max 138 watts (compared to at least 160 if you are using 4' shop lights and they provide way more light.

Mike

google+searching on leds=good for something :lol:

On averaging some of the information on Leds out there I have this:
Before it sprouts warmth and infra red light help germination.
After sprouting you may use only blue light 420nm+ to keep the stems very short for awhile.

NASA found for lettuce 2 parts red led at specific color and 1 par blue led gave the most efficient growth per watt given the range of LED colors they tested. More colors are out now and thousands of led color combinations and ratios are being tested simultaneously around the world.
This mass group effort is reported at forums such as the one at greenpinelane.com

Too much blue and your peppers will not flower.
Too much red and they will be leggy.
The ratio of red and blue light changes through our seasons.

This research will continue for some time becaue the hype around the blue and red only needed is correlated to one of the two major graphs for plant activity. The first is how much chlorophyll gets made and this does peak in red and blue.

Because people want to make a fast buck you see sites exclaiming that red and blue is all that is used. While they are used mainly to make a main ingredient they are not the triggers for overall activity and stages.

As time progresses we will have very specific light spectrum available for various stages of development.
Currently the 45w red and blue panel will grow your pepper plants well however if it will make peppers is another question.

I have been researching nutrients and led lights extensively in order to well serve customers on my nutrient site with very well backed and very well understood products. It will not open until I am asked questions which everybody is happy with the answer :)

It is difficult and expensive to research- from lights to nutrients there is a lot of junk out there it only takes a few of the right things to get great results.

Nute said:
Currently the 45w red and blue panel will grow your pepper plants well however if it will make peppers is another question.

Nat,

Which I hope to answer in a few weeks! I have a few very small buds on a Bhut.

Also, I am finding the toms I am growing in my test are a bit more leggy than the ones under the red and blue mixture. Even more confusing, the second all-red test plant is the least leggiest but it is also probably the furthest away from the bulbs due to it being the runt of the family. But it will be only three weeks on Wednesday and they all have a long way to go (and grow!) before they will be big enough to start hardening off.

Although....

Mike

Today I saw that the first seed has sprouted ten days after planting. It's the Jalapeno from Foodland in Alabama. Let's see what's next.

Nute said:
...from lights to nutrients there is a lot of junk out there it only takes a few of the right things to get great results.
Thanks for such a well thought out post, Nute! The comment I quoted is so true on both counts.

wordwiz said:
Nat,

Which I hope to answer in a few weeks! I have a few very small buds on a Bhut.

Also, I am finding the toms I am growing in my test are a bit more leggy than the ones under the red and blue mixture. Even more confusing, the second all-red test plant is the least leggiest but it is also probably the furthest away from the bulbs due to it being the runt of the family. But it will be only three weeks on Wednesday and they all have a long way to go (and grow!) before they will be big enough to start hardening off.

Although....

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike. You quoted Nute and addressed it to me, but it's all good! hehe

Omri said:
moi? :P
I am sharing the little I know here and there, but it usually leads to an argument. :shocked:

I am a Consulting Engineer and design lots of lighting and know the physics of lighting well, but, like Onri, I don't get involved in discussions about lighting because it always leads to argument.

Physics is not open to argument......

Back